Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster S Facelift - just had a closer look at it

Here we go, guys:

1. daylight frontlights(similar to 997 facelift)
    2. backlights have a similar to 997 facelift "downswing" design of the Boxster backlight(I'm not sure I like it, it looks better on the 997 facelift)
    3. interior similar to 997 facelift with new PCM and black paint
    4. PDK(!)

I saw the Boxster facelift without camouflage, unfortunately nothing about the engine but rumours indicate a 20-30 HP increase with the Boxster S at a max of 320 or 325 HP.

Car was black with US specs.

Re: Boxster S Facelift - just had a closer look at it

Cool. Thanks RC.

One of those things that bugs me a little about the current interior is that you can't read the centre console displays when you have the top down in the sun. They're just not bright enough, and the displays seem to 'reflect' the sun. Be good if stuff like that was tweaked as well. As well as The Key... Any news on that? Has it been redesigned to be a bit more up-market? There was that patent design....

It's the small things! I'm not sure about the light design either. I have to see in the flesh, but I'm worried that the pointier front lights will look more 'angry' and more like an MR2 or something. I quite like the rounded 'happy' face of the current design. I'm a bit ambivolent on the rear lights.

And I'd love to try the PDK. Power hike is nice, but seems increasingly irrelevent in my part of the world! Fuel efficiency and lower emissions is going to strike more of a chord unfortunately. Be nice if the 2.7 (2.9?) got a six-speed box as standard. We'll just have to see! Suspense (for the launch) is killing me.

Re: Boxster S Facelift - just had a closer look at

Thanks RC...

Slightly OT, but by the time the facelift comes out you will be able to get a decent specced lightly used 05 987S at around *half* the price of the facelift model. Invest some of the saved $$$ in a few good driving lessons too, and you could have yourself a sportscar bargain of the century...!

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Thanks RC...

Slightly OT, but by the time the facelift comes out you will be able to get a decent specced lightly used 05 987S at around *half* the price of the facelift model. Invest some of the saved $$$ in a few good driving lessons too, and you could have yourself a sportscar bargain of the century...!

That's my plan . . . I think.

I'd like a 2007 Boxster S without PASM. I would modify the suspension and make it my track car and summer fun mobile. I would miss the potential LSD option on the new Boxster though . . .

While I love my 997C2S, the Boxster has a little more "fun" written all over it, and it is so fluid and balanced - so easy to drive. I often find myself fighting with the 911 in turns that the Boxster just laughs at. I will miss the extra umph on the straights, but with a nicely modified suspension and lowered center of gravity, I just think that the Boxster will produce constant grins, not to mention top down fun on nice days.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    While I love my 997C2S, the Boxster has a little more "fun" written all over it, and it is so fluid and balanced - so easy to drive. I often find myself fighting with the 911 in turns that the Boxster just laughs at. I will miss the extra umph on the straights, but with a nicely modified suspension and lowered center of gravity, I just think that the Boxster will produce constant grins, not to mention top down fun on nice days.

That is an interesting comment... leads me to wonder how many 911 owners, who value driving as opposed to status, could be persuaded to move to the mid-engine platform. If Porsche become brave enough to add even more content to the Boxster/Cayman we will find out....

Of course, if that happens with the current line-up Porsche makes less profit, which explains the pessimism on Rennteam that a mid-engine renaissance will happen.

Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

That is an interesting comment... leads me to wonder how many 911 owners, who value driving as opposed to status, could be persuaded to move to the mid-engine platform. If Porsche become brave enough to add even more content to the Boxster/Cayman we will find out....

Of course, if that happens with the current line-up Porsche makes less profit, which explains the pessimism on Rennteam that a mid-engine renaissance will happen.

Unless they move the engine to the "right place" in the next generation of 911... then it could become the best 911 ever.

Notice when Porsche built their super-car Carrera GT that they chose mid-engine placement and not the familiar Volkswagen beetle rear-engine placement. Porsche has done an incredible job engineering a rear-engined platform to perform as well as it does, but drive the rear-engined 911 next to an Audi R8 or even a Boxster S and you will see that Porsche is giving up something in the balance department by sticking with its rear-engine placement.
    vincesf

IMO Porsche created a legend with the rear-engined 911 and they shouldn't abandon it. It is something unique in layout and practicality. They managed to hone a basically flawed layout into a competent sports car competing against the best supercars.

What I do not agree with is the strict model hierarchy. They can offer a basic 987/987C but why shouldn't someone be able to enjoy a 3.8lt or 400HP mid-engined car from Porsche?

In the past the 944Turbo was as powerful as the 911 and handled better. However, it did not spoil 911's sales even if it was also more practical with 2+2 seating and hatchback. The mid-engined cars are strict 2-seaters so in this element of comparison the 911 will score higher marks.

So what are they afraid of now? It is a pity to waste their excellent mid-engined platform by being stingy on Horsepower.

Quote:
    vincesf said:
    Notice when Porsche built their super-car Carrera GT that they chose mid-engine placement and not the familiar Volkswagen beetle rear-engine placement. Porsche has done an incredible job engineering a rear-engined platform to perform as well as it does, but drive the rear-engined 911 next to an Audi R8 or even a Boxster S and you will see that Porsche is giving up something in the balance department by sticking with its rear-engine placement.
    vincesf

I think you are tap-dancing in a minefield, here Vincef... ....even if I do agree with you

As much as we might like Porsche to put more into their mid engine platform right away, it'll only happen slowly, and always behind the 911.

The exception may be super car platforms like the Carrera GT that are limited in production and not to compete with 911 sales.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    IMO Porsche created a legend with the rear-engined 911 and they shouldn't abandon it. It is something unique in layout and practicality. They managed to hone a basically flawed layout into a competent sports car competing against the best supercars.

What I do not agree with is the strict model hierarchy. They can offer a basic 987/987C but why shouldn't someone be able to enjoy a 3.8lt or 400HP mid-engined car from Porsche?

In the past the 944Turbo was as powerful as the 911 and handled better. However, it did not spoil 911's sales even if it was also more practical with 2+2 seating and hatchback. The mid-engined cars are strict 2-seaters so in this element of comparison the 911 will score higher marks.

So what are they afraid of now? It is a pity to waste their excellent mid-engined platform by being stingy on Horsepower.

Well, there lies the problem. Porsche should worry a lot less about competing with itself, and care far more about the competition.
    vincesf

Quote:
    vincesf said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Well, there lies the problem. Porsche should worry a lot less about competing with itself, and care far more about the competition.
    vincesf

They could price the 400HP Cayman the same as a Carrera S so that they I wouldn'r make any difference what consumers choose.

Other manufacturers price the cars of the same platform differently according to performance, so why would Porsche have a problem doing the same? For example a Mercedes C180 or C200 doesn't cost the same as a C63 AMG which is priced near the SL or a high performnace E-class. Same pricing policy with BMW.

So Porsche can have their high performance Cayman/Boxster and make the same or even more money.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Other manufacturers price the cars of the same platform differently according to performance, so why would Porsche have a problem doing the same?

I totally agree with your initial comments. However Porsche does measure their cars by performance first and foremost, even the corpulent Cayenne. Unlike other carmakers, the target group and their particular reason to obtain a Porsche should be pretty homogenous.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Other manufacturers price the cars of the same platform differently according to performance, so why would Porsche have a problem doing the same?

I totally agree with your initial comments. However Porsche does measure their cars by performance first and foremost, even the corpulent Cayenne. Unlike other carmakers, the target group and their particular reason to obtain a Porsche should be pretty homogenous.

I agree, but you must realize the road Porsche has been headed down... They took a wrong turn sometime and have started believing their own propaganda... I think a large percentage of people buy the BADGE for its sporting history/legacy/poseur factor... this is evident because the substance is slowly draining away from the marque, but sales have only been going up. Just telling it like I see it

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

I agree, but you must realize the road Porsche has been headed down... They took a wrong turn sometime and have started believing their own propaganda... I think a large percentage of people buy the BADGE for its sporting history/legacy/poseur factor... this is evident because the substance is slowly draining away from the marque, but sales have only been going up. Just telling it like I see it

I am not dismissing your thoughts but everything is relative.

IMO to buy something better in terms of driving satisfaction than what Porsche offers today, you must go significantly up in the supercar range of price, costly maintenance and impracticality.

For the price of Boxster or 911 I don't think there are any cars offering the same amount of pleasure,practicality and reasonable maintenace costs.

Ok some Jaguars are not bad , the R8 is very good but they are not generally better at their price.

I believe Porsche achieved a balance between the features of the specialized car and the mainstream car. That is, not so bespoke as to be prohibitively costly and not so mainstream as to be just coupe/sports versions of saloon cars.

That is a very good point reginos

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    That is a very good point reginos

Cheers Tom

Perhaps one of our more informed contributors can verify this...

Boxster
    Base Boxster's engine grows to 2.9-litres from 2.7-litres, with power up from 245PS to 255PS and torque rising from 201lb ft to 214lb ft

Top speed: 163mph (formerly 162mph)
    0-62mph in 6.0sec/5.8sec (PDK) - down from 6.1-seconds

7-speed PDK 'box an option replacing Tiptronic S. Optional Sports Chrono package includes launch control AND the option of a limited-slip differential (LSD)

CO2 emissions: 223g/km - 221g/km (PDK) - down from 227g/km - 242g/km (Tip S)

Boxster S
    3.4-litre engine now features Porsche's DFI direct injection. Power up from 295PS to 310PS and torque rising from 251lb ft to 265lb ft

Top speed 170mph (formerly 169mph)
    0-62mph in 5.3sec/ 5.0sec (PDK) - down from 5.4-seconds

7-speed PDK 'box an option replacing Tiptronic S. Optional Sports Chrono package includes launch control AND the option of a limited-slip differential (LSD)

CO2 emissions: 230g/km - 223g/km(PDK) - down from 254g/km - 262g/km (Tip S)

Cayman
    Base Cayman's engine grows to 2.9-litres from 2.7-litres, with power up from 245PS to 265PS and torque rising from 201lb ft to 221lb ft

Top speed: 163mph (formerly 162mph)
    0-62mph: 6.0sec/5.8sec (PDK) - down from 6.1-seconds

CO2 emissions: 223g/km - 221g/km (PDK) - down from 227g/km - 242g/km (Tip S)

Cayman S
    3.4-litre engine now features Porsche's DFI direct injection. Power up from 295PS to 320PS and torque rising from 251lb ft to 273lb ft

Top speed: 172mph (formerly 171mph)

0-62mph: 5.2sec/5.0sec (PDK) - down from 5.4-seconds

CO2 emissions: 230g/km - 223g/km (PDK) - down from 254g/km - 262g/km (Tip S)

http://blog.drivers-republic.com/?p=75

It is consistent with the other posts that I have seen.
    vincesf

same result with pdk for boxster s and cayman s

5.0 it's a good time

It's an improvement across the board, not so significant if you already own one, but should attract more buyer attention to the marque. Despite gas prices, these are good times we live in. Where newer technologies are pushing the performance envelope. This is much better than the days when increased smog controls meant lower performance, even though Porsche never had a year where performance decreased, unlike GM, Ford....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813349 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453091 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273212 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92087 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9536 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851344 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM