Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

335i now available with DCT!

Just got the news this morning that we can now order a 335i with 7 speed DCT. It's half the price of the M-DCT on the M3. First cars will arrive in Australia in Sept (which means production would have started already). Are any other model going to be available in the DCT soon? 135i maybe?

Re: 335i now available with DCT!

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Just got the news this morning that we can now order a 335i with 7 speed DCT. It's half the price of the M-DCT on the M3. First cars will arrive in Australia in Sept (which means production would have started already). Are any other model going to be available in the DCT soon? 135i maybe?

Intresting. I was just wondering yesterday about it not having the DCT. That being said, buying a 1-year-old vehicle from the US seems like a steal. 30.000 Euros for a 1-year-old 335i. Great bargain if you ask me.

135i with the DCT would be absolutely brilliant, if my day's loan of the M3 last weekend with the M-DCT 'box and my ownership experience with the 123d are anything to go by.

WOW half price!
    Talk about shafting!

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Just got the news this morning that we can now order a 335i with 7 speed DCT. It's half the price of the M-DCT on the M3. First cars will arrive in Australia in Sept (which means production would have started already).

Thanks Wayne, any word on if DCT will be available on the coupe and cabrio as well, and not just the facelifted sedan and touring?

Any other info regarding the facelift, hard disk navigation, e-diff from the 135i....

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    Just got the news this morning that we can now order a 335i with 7 speed DCT. It's half the price of the M-DCT on the M3. First cars will arrive in Australia in Sept (which means production would have started already).

Thanks Wayne, any word on if DCT will be available on the coupe and cabrio as well, and not just the facelifted sedan and touring?

Any other info regarding the facelift, hard disk navigation, e-diff from the 135i....

I was actually refering to the 335i coupe. Click on this link. http://bmw.com.au/common_content/models/...;O%20JULY08.pdf

As for 1 series, apparently BMW is releasing a Club Sport version, only 5000 cars world wide, and only for BMW club owners? That is the latest I heard. If this is true, I am going to pay someone in BMW club for a spot in the queue!

Quote:
    janus said:
    WOW half price!
    Talk about shafting!

In fairness the 135i 'box has to cope with much less power and torque (so would be presumably a lighter and simpler assembly) and would probably have less sophisticated features than that fitted to the M3 - not that you'd ever use half of those features , anyway!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    janus said:
    WOW half price!
    Talk about shafting!

In fairness the 135i 'box has to cope with much less power and torque (so would be presumably a lighter and simpler assembly) and would probably have less sophisticated features than that fitted to the M3 - not that you'd ever use half of those features , anyway!

Definitely not torque. Turbo engines have more torque than N/A engines. That being said, it will probably come with less bells and whistles.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    janus said:
    WOW half price!
    Talk about shafting!

Definitely not torque. Turbo engines have more torque than N/A engines. That being said, it will probably come with less bells and whistles.

I stand corrected

BMW 135i 306bhp @ 5,800 RPM / 400Nm @ 1,300 RPM
    BMW M3 420bhp @ 8,300 RPM / 400Nm @ 3,900 RPM

DC - the "fake" model designation ("i") must have irritated you

Quote:
    WAY said:

I was actually refering to the 335i coupe. Click on this link. http://bmw.com.au/common_content/models/...;O%20JULY08.pdf

As for 1 series, apparently BMW is releasing a Club Sport version, only 5000 cars world wide, and only for BMW club owners? That is the latest I heard. If this is true, I am going to pay someone in BMW club for a spot in the queue!

Cool thanks, according to CAR magazine they will have have info on the 3-series facelift on their website July 18th, so I guess we'll know more then.

Here's the evidence:

Does it mean 335i will no longer have Steptronic?
    If I know this news, I should order the 335i later.
    I just had got the delivery in Apr.

WOW! DKG really does wonders for fuel consumption.

If we calculate that the autobox adds 4% for 325 and presume it does the same for 335 we get 10.3L for autobox 335.
    Now that makes 335 DKG ~11-12% more gas friendly than 335 autobox 335. And that is not half bad considering it costs 550$ more than autobox.
    And that pays itself off in ~20000km on EU prices

But just the thought of driving 335 for the same gas per mile as 325 should be worth taking it.

Chris, I think the answer to your question is yes. Unfortunately DCT will be replacing all the steptronic slowly...

I wonder how much power the unit can handle. Hopefully won't be an issue with chipped engines.

Quote:
    janus said:

If we calculate that the autobox adds 4% for 325 and presume it does the same for 335 we get 10.3L for autobox 335.
    Now that makes 335 DKG ~11-12% more gas friendly than 335 autobox 335. And that is not half bad considering it costs 550$ more than autobox.

But just the thought of driving 335 for the same gas per mile as 325 should be worth taking it.

Janko,

Your calculation could be right only in one case-if you tired M-DKG in M3 and you like the way it drives say it in D1 programm in down town driving...

Belive it or not it is shifting in seventh(!!!) gear on Vukovarska here in Zagreb!

Even better in my part of town(Sestine) it is using fifth(!) in D2 programm while driving on Mlinovi to Mihaljevac...

I hope that you undestand now clearly why is fuel consumption that much better with M-DKG. You could do that in manual as well but, NOBODY is driving high reving engine with 1800rpm(!!!)... M3 V8 is struggling big time with this low revs...
    After two days with M-DKG M3 I can tell you one thing-manual M3 for me. In S(specially S3 and S4) M-DKG works pretty good but, I hope that MKSGR will add his impression about M-DKG here as well since they are similar to mine.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Unfortunately DCT will be replacing all the steptronic slowly...

Why unfortunately? It's as smooth as a good automatic, quicker than a conventional manual and more economic than both. The only downside I can think of is the extra weight and complexity of a DCT transmission.

It seems a good news the Steptronic will be replaced.
    But I have no idea if the DCT is as smooth as the Steptronic, especially in 1st gear.

Quote:
    Chris Lo said:
    But I have no idea if the DCT is as smooth as the Steptronic, especially in 1st gear.

You are right. It is not as smooth as true automatic. Also you have to apply way too much throttle to get going in M3 with M-DKG... It is riding on clutch feeling...

Dreamcar you are correct, it isn't unfortunately at all! I had DSG in my Golf GTI and I loved it. Fast shifting and smooth.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Chris Lo said:

You are right. It is not as smooth as true automatic. Also you have to apply way too much throttle to get going in M3 with M-DKG... It is riding on clutch feeling...

I have not driven the M-DCT M3, but what you are describing sounds the same as the DSG. I used to think that it is riding the clutch too, but clearly it isn't as my DSG was still perfect after 60,000km of city driving (lots of start stops) and modified to 188kw and 410nm at the wheel...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    janus said:

Janko,

Your calculation could be right only in one case-if you tired M-DKG in M3 and you like the way it drives say it in D1 programm in down town driving...

Belive it or not it is shifting in seventh(!!!) gear on Vukovarska here in Zagreb!

Even better in my part of town(Sestine) it is using fifth(!) in D2 programm while driving on Mlinovi to Mihaljevac...

I hope that you undestand now clearly why is fuel consumption that much better with M-DKG. You could do that in manual as well but, NOBODY is driving high reving engine with 1800rpm(!!!)... M3 V8 is struggling big time with this low revs...
    After two days with M-DKG M3 I can tell you one thing-manual M3 for me. In S(specially S3 and S4) M-DKG works pretty good but, I hope that MKSGR will add his impression about M-DKG here as well since they are similar to mine.

Kreso, this is why you get a C63! Seriously though, 1800rpm is a lot on the C63 as it has way more than the maximum torque than the M3 already at that rpm. In fact I believe it has more than 400nm at idle!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Chris Lo said:

The M3 I had was as every bit as smooth as a proper automatic. I found take up as quick as any automatic on which there is always a slight delay anyway. In "D" yes it does change up to 7th gear pretty early, obviously for fuel consumption reasons, but what's wrong with that? It's no big deal if you want snap acceleration, just pres that little "M" button on the wheel and snap back on the paddles, quicker than you'd do it with a manual, that's for sure.

I agree the M3 is not particularly torquey, it's tuned for high revs. In fact it has the same torque figure as my humble 123d, even if it is more than twice as powerful.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Chris Lo said:

I have not driven the M-DCT M3, but what you are describing sounds the same as the DSG. I used to think that it is riding the clutch too, but clearly it isn't as my DSG was still perfect after 60,000km of city driving (lots of start stops) and modified to 188kw and 410nm at the wheel...

How are you getting on with your 135i? Maybe in the next year or so I may well be seriously thinking of one, when we eventually see sense and decide to come down to 2 cars. I don't know if you read my posts here about the new M3 but I reckon the 135i could well be a better car in a lot of ways, smaller, more nimble, virtually as quick in the real world and hugely better on fuel. With DCT transmission it would be a no-brainer.

I love the 135i. It was so quick on the track! Faster than an EVO 9, STI, highly modified RX-8 and M-coupe. This is a standard car with lousy run flats! At the moment my car is getting a down pipe and chip fitted. My race shop had to modify the down pipe to fit my car, as it was designed for LHD and the steering rack hits the O2 sensor. I want to put a few miles in it and make sure everything is fine before I then put the chip in. Should be sensational. Btw, my car dynoed at 190kw at the wheel stock! No wonder it is quick! If BMW comes out with a DCT 135i anytime soon, I will be getting ichy feet!

Thank you Kreso for your added info.
    I have a DSG Golf and it does the same, you are constantly in 6th gear. Its a good thing but can be considered a bit boring, you are right.
    Although consumption is somewhere on par with this 335.
    I know WAY was happy with his, but ours had a DSG replaced as well as turbine. Practically new car now with a maintenance cost of a Ferrari.

Looks like BMW is doing a "Porsche" with the DCT paddles. As in not providing left - down, right - up. But instead retaining the push-pull from the previous auobox

But at least BMW has managed to get the push-pull the correct way (forward - down, back - up)

More pics

I just hope that the connector on that wire connecting the gearshift lever and transmission is good.
    It would be awkward if it would just disconnect in the middle of the drive!

I think BMW made an error on their 3 series specs page. If you click on the original link at the start of this thread the 335 transmission is now shown as the 6 speed Steptonic not the 7 speed DCT

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813353 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453096 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273212 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92088 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9536 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891823 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851390 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM