Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

gt3 RS suspension settings?

do u know what the sway bar settings are for optimum track performance?

My car currently feels like it lacks rear traction when copared to my carrera S.. which should never be the case.

I looked at the suspension, and I currently have mid whole in the front sway bar, and the sway bar is at the inner most hole setting on the back... which I belive is the stiffest setting.. which might explain lack of traction?

Anyone got advice on how to better prep the car?

Re: gt3 RS suspension settings?

Quote:
    adam s said:
    do u know what the sway bar settings are for optimum track performance?

My car currently feels like it lacks rear traction when copared to my carrera S.. which should never be the case.

I looked at the suspension, and I currently have mid whole in the front sway bar, and the sway bar is at the inner most hole setting on the back... which I belive is the stiffest setting.. which might explain lack of traction?

There is not one "optimal" setting for all track use, because the optimum at the same track and for the same driver can be different depending on whether track is wet or dry on the day. Roll stiffnesses need to be lower on a wet day, as the weight transfer from inside wheels to outside wheels in a curve is reduced due to lower tire/asphalt friction as compared to a dry track.

Works settings for road use are with both front and rear bars in intermediate settings. Your reduced traction will presumeably be due to stiff rear bar setting causing inner rear wheel to lift in a curve, limiting the amount of torque which the rear axle can turn into tractive effort.

The stock suspension and setup is far from ideal for hard track use.

The rear sway bar comes on full stiff, which in itself makes a joke of having an adjustable sway bar, if there is no more room to make it stiffer !!!

Porsche know this is an issue, and it makes the standard car understeer like a pig, but only up to a point, then it can oversteer like lightening !!!

quick fix is to uprate the rear sway bar to a 997 GT2 one, this is 20% stiffer in its middle setting, than the standard bar is on full stiff.
    The car turns in much better, but the rear can be a bit loser, but much more predictable.

I did all this, but still found that the PASM is still not up to hard track work, so have binned it, and put on Intrax 4-way Suspension by Oakley design. This has transformed the car, and it now feels like an RS should, with lots of feedback, and no computers trying to work things out for you !!!!

G.

Quote:
    GlennMc said:
    I did all this, but still found that the PASM is still not up to hard track work, so have binned it, and put on Intrax 4-way Suspension by Oakley design. This has transformed the car, and it now feels like an RS should, with lots of feedback, and no computers trying to work things out for you !!!!

Glenn - looks like great stuff:
    http://www.intrax-suspension.eu/?cat=productpage&id=413&title=4-WAY

What made you decide on this product over competitors like Moton, Ohlins, JRZ, etc?

well I actually find the car has snap oversteer... I am thinking I need more grip at the back, ie less stiff... so for me it is too stiff.. I am thinking of dialing it back to the softer setting... anyone elected to do this?
    In high speed corners I feel like I am hitting the bump stop of the sway bar limit when the car leans in... and then I no longer have any flexibility...

Hi Adam, I haven't heard from anyone here as I recall of softening the rear sway bar. There are three settings in the back, four in the front. The rear is full stiff as Glenn says, the front is second from softest, those are the factory settings. I guess that unless you don't want to change the way you drive the car in whatever way, you will have to take the plunge and start experimenting.

What everybody here will tell you, once you get into it, you better have pen and paper ready and some good geometry measuring equipment on hand to mark down every change you do, because the fully-adjustable suspension is super tricky to tune up as one working body.

Food for thought - before you got the RS, I bet you never really thought about doing something to the suspension of a car simply because the car didn't allow it. But you drove it anyway, right?

Quote:
    adam s said:
    well I actually find the car has snap oversteer... I am thinking I need more grip at the back, ie less stiff... so for me it is too stiff.. I am thinking of dialing it back to the softer setting... anyone elected to do this?
    In high speed corners I feel like I am hitting the bump stop of the sway bar limit when the car leans in... and then I no longer have any flexibility...

Are you running original camber settings, or other ?

This just doesn't sound right to me

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GlennMc said:

What made you decide on this product over competitors like Moton, Ohlins, JRZ, etc?

The fact that Oakley are based in the UK, and are regularly at trackdays etc for back up and advice.

They let me drive their development car, to get a feel for the stuff, and also i can speak to the head guy at Intrax, if i wanted to tweek the settings.
    He came to Spa earlier this year, and set the car up for me.

Having the adjustability of 4-way is only good, if you know how to tune it for your driving, if not, it can work against you.

G.

Quote:
    GlennMc said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GlennMc said:

The fact that Oakley are based in the UK, and are regularly at trackdays etc for back up and advice.

They let me drive their development car, to get a feel for the stuff, and also i can speak to the head guy at Intrax, if i wanted to tweek the settings.

Having the adjustability of 4-way is only good, if you know how to tune it for your driving, if not, it can work against you.

G.

Sounds like a great setup. Any idea how laptimes compare to stock suspension?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GlennMc said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    GlennMc said:

G.

Sounds like a great setup. Any idea how laptimes compare to stock suspension?

For me, at least a couple of seconds, maybe more, although there is more to come, as the biggest improvement is confidence in the car.

G.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813531 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453135 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273257 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92117 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891920 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    852534 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM