Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 19" RS Spyder Wheels for MY 2009 Turbo?

Quote:
    TurboRalf said:
    The RS Spyder wheel for the Turbo will have a centre bolt

Hummmm..., just wondering how that would make spareless Porsche Roadside Assistance more of a PITA?

center lock wheels would be w a y cool on the tt...and im sure a pricey conversion for those so inclined.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    sparkhill said:
    The Spyder wheels (7 split spoke) look somewhat similar to the Champion RS171's (5 split spoke) and the HRE P40's. I still like the 171's better. [/quot

When I bought the 171's it was because of the look but I'm finding that they are the easiest wheel to clean too. The small # of spokes without crevices makes cleaning the outside of the wheel really easy & the wide open spoke design makes cleaning all the way to the inside of the wheel simple.

Hey Gregg/ Stradale, how do you like the RS 171s? I'm on the verge of ordering a set in charcoal grey.

Quote:
    TurboRalf said:
    The RS Spyder wheel for the Turbo will have a centre bolt and can be delivered from week 49 according to the order guide!

Can you scan a pic of that guide or post a link please.
    c

excuse me what are exactly the wheels on that red 997 TT?

Could you give me name, code and manufacturer ?

Thanks

Unfortunately I just get this info from my dealer who reads from his order guide. No pic available so far. Perhaps someone has better access to these thins than me? I would love to see a picture of them on a car!

Quote:
    turbobrut said:

Thanks

HRE P40.

http://www.hrewheels.com

Ok, so far if I am correct, we are sure that the new Porsche RS wheels will have only 1 central Lock?

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    sparkhill said:
    The Spyder wheels (7 split spoke) look somewhat similar to the Champion RS171's (5 split spoke) and the HRE P40's. I still like the 171's better. [/quot

When I bought the 171's it was because of the look but I'm finding that they are the easiest wheel to clean too. The small # of spokes without crevices makes cleaning the outside of the wheel really easy & the wide open spoke design makes cleaning all the way to the inside of the wheel simple.

Hey Gregg/ Stradale, how do you like the RS 171s? I'm on the verge of ordering a set in charcoal grey.

Absolutely love them. When I buy stuff, you know expensive type stuff that is not really needed but for one of my passions like high end sports cars or performance parts for the same I always do a huge amount of research (hence the 1000 page wheel thread). It's part of the process that I honestly enjoy........I'm sure I also do this because I hate buying something expensive & spending hard earned money only to see something I like more 2 seconds after I've bought it. Don't you hate that? Anyway long story short; if I were to buy wheels now I would DEFINITELY still buy the 171's. No question (in my mind) they are the absolute best looking/performing wheel on the 997 Turbo. (IMHO of course, looks is very subjective). Also I had concerns about changing wheels based on the areas I drive because of potholes, etc. but the 171's have been bullet proof. It's the best mod. I did to the car & one of my favorite parts of the car period.

ps: If you are going to buy them directly from Champion tell Victor that Gregg from NY sent you, make sure he treats you right price wise. The 171's were back-ordered for 4 months (March-June) & they recently just got some more in. Wheel Enhancement should have them in stock by now too.

One more picture of the Manthey wheel, most likely what this new RS wheel will look like. I hope this will leave no doubt about my nuttiness when it comes to wheels, and that I am not kidding when I said I've looked at EVERY wheel out there.

I am too lazy to do research now, anyone here has experience with the advantages/disadvantages of using central lock wheel system for a non-track car?

turbobrut,

As posted above by "Crash," those are HRE P40, 19 inch wheels on my car. It's a forged one piece wheel that is lighter than stock wheels, so you have the dual advantages of function and look. In case you are not familiar, HRE is one of the larger wheel companies in the US. The HRE P40 is one of their latest releases, and as it has turned out, one of the more popular choices for Turbo owners in the US. In fact, so popular that I am getting sick of looking at my own wheels and prefer to look at other wheels sometimes. Kidding. "Alex_997TurboRSC" on this forum is the first person to have it in Europe (I humbly admit to being the first in the US, and the world. ), so if you are interested, you might want to ask him about procedure & cost.

I love the RS wheel, but I would definitely check into how user-friendly that central lock system is, how the wheels are made (Magnesium versus Aluminum), and how light they are (no point if there is no weight saving). If any of those conditions are suboptimal, the HRE P40 is a great alternative. Even as the wheel is risking over-exposure , you could never go wrong with such a classic design.

In the mean time, here is another shot of the HRE P40.

Quote:
    turbobrut said:

Thanks

Another more recent shot:

Thanks Gregg, that's what I neede to hear. Is that wheel in the WE pic painted silver or brushed? It looks damn good. Maybe I should consider the standard silver finish. Now that I know what wheel I like I have to decide on the finish. Charcoal satin vs grey vs Silver vs brushed?????

thank you so much.

Those wheels are gorgeous

FWIW: no holes

Quote:
    MMD said:

Like the holes better, gives them a small, interesting, stylistic, high tech detail even though in black you only see them up close. But very nice PS.

btw: In person the deep center dive & the organic shape of the spokes is much more dramatic. Love em.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Like the holes better, gives them a small, interesting, stylistic, high tech detail

Yup..., good point. I couldn't help myself; I might have a less-is-more OCD.

Seeing them in person, like you said, is very important for wheel selection.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Like the holes better, gives them a small, interesting, stylistic, high tech detail

Yup..., good point. I couldn't help myself; I might have a less-is-more OCD.

Seeing them in person, like you said, is very important for wheel selection.

It's a less is more kinda wheel, not many designs imo are as clean. Which reminds me I should be outside cleaning my Turbo but I am dragging so bad right now. Stayed up to watch the Griffin fight & was so pumped from watching the fight & because he won I couldnt get to sleep till 3am. Also spent the last 2 days on my wife's SUV. Man she & the kids can destroy the inside of a vehicle. Took me 1 day Friday to do the exterior & spent another 6 hours on just the interior yesterday. She's in Greece w/ my kids for 16 days hopefully she even notices when she gets home.

Is the wheel on the right photoshopped?

Quote:
    MMD said:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It's a less is more kinda wheel, not many designs imo are as clean. Which reminds me I should be outside cleaning my Turbo but I am dragging so bad right now. [edited]

Definitely a good looking wheel. No fancy convolutions which is what I like.

Clean Turbo? Clean wife's car? You're home alone? My advice: don't force yourself to do anything until you feel like it!

Hopefully there won't be any last minute massive do-or-die crush to get the house and cars in shape!

Doug,

My vote:

If yellow brake, darker grey on a grey car ALWAYS causes my heart to skip a beat. I have a picture somewhere: dark grey car, dark grey wheel, yellow brake the only color of the car, it's ABSOLUTELY STUNNING IMHO.

If red brake, since the tone is not as bright as yellow, my vote is for silver wheel to provide some contrast and overall brightness to the car.

Just my 2 cents, a matter of taste so YMMV.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    Thanks Gregg, that's what I neede to hear. Is that wheel in the WE pic painted silver or brushed? It looks damn good. Maybe I should consider the standard silver finish. Now that I know what wheel I like I have to decide on the finish. Charcoal satin vs grey vs Silver vs brushed?????

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It's a less is more kinda wheel, not many designs imo are as clean. Which reminds me I should be outside cleaning my Turbo but I am dragging so bad right now. [edited]

Definitely a good looking wheel. No fancy convolutions which is what I like.

Clean Turbo? Clean wife's car? You're home alone? My advice: don't force yourself to do anything until you feel like it!

Hopefully there won't be any last minute massive do-or-die crush to get the house and cars in shape!

LoL!! No not quite. I use the SUV too so that's one of the reasons for cleaning it. But mainly because it just needed it & I dont think it's healthy for my wife/kids to be inside a dirty truck. As for the house cleaning that's what wives are for.

My wife isnt one of those types but I know the type you're referring to. The type that tells guys what kind of car or bikes they can or cannot have etc. My wife is the opposite. I see guys that actually have to get the seal of approval from the wife before they can spend the money THEY MAKE! My wife has never given me a hassel for anything I've wanted, I'm very lucky.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Doug,

My vote:

If yellow brake, darker grey on a grey car ALWAYS causes my heart to skip a beat. I have a picture somewhere: dark grey car, dark grey wheel, yellow brake the only color of the car, it's ABSOLUTELY STUNNING IMHO.

If red brake, since the tone is not as bright as yellow, my vote is for silver wheel to provide some contrast and overall brightness to the car.

Just my 2 cents, a matter of taste so YMMV.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Agree w/ Cann.

You're welcome Doug. Looking forward to seeing pics of your Turbo w/ 171's!

it happens i just watched the Carrera Cup the last weekend.

I think the new wheel could resemble the ones the Cup Cars mount? ?

911 GT3 RSR wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (11J x 18-34) with central locking
    Rear: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (12J x 18) with central locking

911 GT3 Cup S wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (10.5J x 18) with central locking

911 GT3 Cup wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (9J x 18); ET 30 with central locking
    Rear: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (11J x 18); ET 43 with central locking

What wheels are these?

Here is another example

Does anyone know what "light alloy" means? Aluminum or magnesium?

Quote:
    Boxster Coupe GTS said:
    911 GT3 RSR wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (11J x 18-34) with central locking

911 GT3 Cup S wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (10.5J x 18) with central locking

911 GT3 Cup wheels:

Front: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (9J x 18); ET 30 with central locking
    Rear: Three-piece BBS light-alloy wheels (11J x 18); ET 43 with central locking

Most likely, another 7-fork mesh design from BBS. I wonder if there is a structural vs. weight consideration for why some Porsche racing cars settle for a 7-fork design. 9 would be stronger but then would weigh more, for example.

A note to anyone choosing wheels: Somehow to my eyes odd numbers of spokes like 7, 9, etc. look more "in motion" than even numbers when the car is not moving.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    What wheels are these?

Love the wheel but man, that looks like one heck of a job to keep them clean of brake dust and road grime.. This justifies my decision to paint em black and get ceramics

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813350 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453092 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273212 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92088 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9536 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891822 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851369 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM