Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

real life pic of the puddle

Here it is

Re: real life pic of the puddle

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Here it is

I could lay my hands upon the new puddels last week (car was standing, couldn't drive yet). The function with pushing forward with the thumbs and backward with first and second finger worked very well. Only complaint is the material the buttons are made of: rather cheap looking (and feeling) plastic, with an edge right in the middle, since the buttons are made out of two pieces. I would have hoped for something more highclass, even the DSG in the R32 is definitely better (applies also for the PDK-lever-surrounding BTW).

Hummm, very interesting. Thanks Gnil. I can't wait to get my hands on them in showroom.

It looks very intuitive!

Can't wait!

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    It looks very intuitive!

Can't wait!

So...,

push up and in with thumb = upshift?

push down and in with thumb = downshift?

No, push forward with thumb is up, pull backward with the fingers is downshift.
    -Joost-

Sorry I was being sarcastic, based on the number of opinions that it isn't intuitive - English humour I am afraid!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Only complaint is the material the buttons are made of: rather cheap looking (and feeling) plastic, with an edge right in the middle, since the buttons are made out of two pieces.

This fat button in such an exposed location, if made of metal, would heat to about 200 deg. C if the car is parked on a sunny day... perhaps that is why they used plastic, and a pale colour - paint? If it is paint, wonder how long it will take for rough male thumbs to wear through it..

Can we ask to reverse the right button?? + Pull & - Push

Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Only complaint is the material the buttons are made of: rather cheap looking (and feeling) plastic, with an edge right in the middle, since the buttons are made out of two pieces.

This fat button in such an exposed location, if made of metal, would heat to about 200 deg. C if the car is parked on a sunny day... perhaps that is why they used plastic, and a pale colour - paint? If it is paint, wonder how long it will take for rough male thumbs to wear through it..

I have to disagree. All puddles, no matter if they are in a Ferrari, a Maserati or the DSG-ones in VW/Audi are made out of aluminium. I never experienced any problems with them being too hot.
    I guess the reason for Porsche to use plastic is just the same as always: money.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I guess the reason for Porsche to use plastic is just the same as always: money.

I strongly disagree .

The reason the paddles/puddles/puddels are plastic is because all the metal was used for Wendelin's new watch .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

The reason the paddles/puddles/puddels are plastic is because all the metal was used for Wendelin's new watch .

Maybe you're right. So the paddles/puddles/puddels should originally have been made out of gold/platinum?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

Maybe you're right. So the paddles/puddles/puddels should originally have been made out of gold/platinum?

Yes, and crested with small diamonds . The test drivers didn't appreciate Wiedeking sitting in the car and playing with the puddles while they were supposed to be testing the car . Thus, he bought himself a watch and the test drivers got plasticky puddles.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

Yes, and crested with small diamonds . The test drivers didn't appreciate Wiedeking sitting in the car and playing with the puddles while they were supposed to be testing the car . Thus, he bought himself a watch and the test drivers got plasticky puddles.

So, he has Pattekles in his personal PDK Porsche

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

"Well, would you look at the time? Time to shift!"

Conversation with the dealer the other day who told me he believed that Porsche had developed a different wheel with proper paddles for the GT3 and GT2 (He'd seen a prototype a year ago on a trip to W). And that once those cars were launched with PDK that the new wheel would become an option on the non GT models. However he warned that the paddles were still attached to the wheel rather than the steering column as this made it easier for Porsche to offer different wheels and gearboxes without the additional cost of attaching more/different electronics to the column.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I have to disagree. All puddles, no matter if they are in a Ferrari, a Maserati or the DSG-ones in VW/Audi are made out of aluminium. I never experienced any problems with them being too hot.

Or CF. IMO it's terrible that Porsche decided to keep the puddles a moving target. Having them fixed on the column is sooooooo much better.

Regarding "plastic" some of you guys have to relax your minds.

As at least one recessed part of your mind knows, "plastic" is an amazing material these days. It can be molded and machined to incredible tolerances and has remarkable material/physical properties.

Remember: plastic is the universal answer to "less weight."

Who knows? Maybe the PDK paddles are carbon fiber that's been "painted."

Some day soon the only reason you'll see "cheap plastic" on cars will be because they went thru extra effort and cost to make it look cheap! LOL.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

Well, if you have SUCH Wiedeking-puddles/paddles/puddels in your 997-FL, you're only allowed to use them with THIS item:

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I strongly disagree .

Well, if you have SUCH Wiedeking-puddles/paddles/puddels in your 997-FL, you're only allowed to use them with THIS item:

LOL! Well, you could use the dollar signs for Wendelin's license plate .

Perhaps this would be a good choice too:

I like the philosophy espoused in the upper right corner:

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Conversation with the dealer the other day who told me he believed that Porsche had developed a different wheel with proper paddles for the GT3 and GT2 (He'd seen a prototype a year ago on a trip to W). And that once those cars were launched with PDK that the new wheel would become an option on the non GT models. However he warned that the paddles were still attached to the wheel rather than the steering column as this made it easier for Porsche to offer different wheels and gearboxes without the additional cost of attaching more/different electronics to the column.

great news, thanks, I wish to see some spy pics soon. I want the real paddles, not those cheap plastic buttons.

Porsche has stated that the reason the puddles are on the wheel is because it is an easy transition for the drivers of Tiptronic. Apparently, they are assuming that manual drivers will stick with manual and Tiptronic devotee will opt for PDK.

Porsche has also stated it would be very easy to affix the paddles to the steering column like most other manufacturers and may do so depending on initial response from the driving public.

Quote:
    DuaijiM5 said:
    Can we ask to reverse the right button?? + Pull & - Push

Let me know if you care!! I need the answer from a Porsche insider.

My solution:

Play with the wiring in steering or maybe with a function within the PCM screen so that :

Left puddle remains:
    Push to Shift up a gear, & Pull to Shift DOWN a gear.

Right puddle changes to:
    Pull to Shift UP a gear, & Push to SHIFT DOWN a gear.

There you have it just like BMW SMG. Lamborghini or Ferrari Paddlea. Plus, you can use either hand to shift up/down.

Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

The puddles are made out of plastic because metal can get seriously hot when left in the sun and can become a driving distraction. I had a metal Hurst T shifter in my Mustang and it got enough to almost burn you.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

The puddles are made out of plastic because metal can get seriously hot when left in the sun and can become a driving distraction. I had a metal Hurst T shifter in my Mustang and it got enough to almost burn you.

Take aluminium or CF and you won't have that problem.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    834782 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    464173 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    285545 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    98893 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    17956 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 7/27/24 8:44 PM
    Pilot

909136 1365
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM
    mcdelaug
    436657 1454
    Others Tesla 2 the new thread 12/13/23 2:48 PM