Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi R8 Driver Loses It At Virginia Int. Raceway

Ron, pay close attention:

"Please don't hit the wall, please don't hit the wall..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTF5ZnSVoH8

Re: Audi R8 Driver Loses It At Virginia Int. Racew

Why the hell would anyone who isnt a seriously good driver switch off the ESP on a track? That's really a bad idea.

its the first time i hear someone say that before a crash...

feel sorry for the guy, but cant help myself giggling at his reaction....

some people just like to think aloud.

nice find!

Perhaps it's the passenger speaking and he could be the owner of the car letting a friend have a go on the track

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Perhaps it's the passenger speaking and he could be the owner of the car letting a friend have a go on the track

Then I wouldn't like to be his friend. I feel for the guy. Wonder what the damage was?

I wouldn't be want to be caught in his shoes, but didn't that seem quite "amateur" to you guys! is the R8 all-wheel drive? even if it isn't, and he had all electronics switched off, he shouldn't have gone off like that, should he!!! seems to me like the track was wet, or his tires were too cold...

I think tyre temperature may have assisted this accident but if you look there is a small crest and it looks like he turns to the right at the top of the crest, which unsettles the car. He doesn't take the same line as the car in front considering he was taking the bend at what seemed similar speed.

It is AWD also, but reacted like a 2WD car I thought, TC/Stability Management must have been off...

I thought the title says Audi R8 driver loses virginity at raceway...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    I wouldn't be want to be caught in his shoes, but didn't that seem quite "amateur" to you guys! is the R8 all-wheel drive? even if it isn't, and he had all electronics switched off, he shouldn't have gone off like that, should he!!! seems to me like the track was wet, or his tires were too cold...

I think he was simply going too fast into the corner...notice how he caught up to the car ahead.

Oh my. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I thought the title says Audi R8 driver loses virginity at raceway...

Not to worry. He will get shafted with the repair bill .

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

I think he was simply going too fast into the corner...notice how he caught up to the car ahead.

He does doesn't he. I agree. Too fast.

Way too fast into that corner and then over corrects to much and sticks it into a spin! Poor bloke

Any pictures of the damage?

Yes, i feel sorry for the guy but he was going a little too fast and then lifted...

That being said, i dont think the damage is that bad. left side body panels maybe rims and arms or something but nothing major..

That is a tough turn, there is a video of a boxster losing it at the same turn from a couple of years ago.

I feel for the guy. But it was nothing but a driver error. He was much too ambitious and coming into that corner much too fast. Plus, he was turning a little when he went over the crest and possibly easing of the gas, which is why he is going backwards into the wall. And at that speed I don't think ESP would have helped much, if at all. ESP can't perform miracles, it can only help you as long as there's traction to work with.

Re: Audi R8 Driver Loses It At Virginia Int. Raceway

Quote:
    temm said:
    Ron, pay close attention:

"Please don't hit the wall, please don't hit the wall..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTF5ZnSVoH8

Mine is still a garage queen .

Looked to me like he just turned in too late considering the slight crest in the track and caught up to the other car due to taking a different line.
    Upon impact it seems that there is a passenger (0:21) who had been speaking and then says "Oh Tim, (expletive)"
    Reminds me of learning about braking with a large motorcycle, the difference between braking just before the crest of a hill or actually at the crest.
    Tremendous difference in stopping distance, but no damage except my pride and a few bushes.

This is exactly why i have a race car for the the track..and a road car for the road.

I really feel for the guy. I have been in that position in the Aston. But you have to remember, it only takes money to fix...

I don't know if he was on the throttle at the time but if you look at the driver's right knee before the oversteer, he does a quick lift right before the crest, that and the fact that he was going way to fast over the crest and trying to correct going wide on the second corner at the same time spelled disaster.

Electronic aids would not have saved him IMO but at least maybe with the electronic aids ON he would of plowed straight and onto the grass, at least he wouldn't have spinned, and hence hit the wall.

Glad the driver was OK.

He had a bad approach (carrying too much speed for his line) combined with an early, pinched turn-in and a lift while cresting the hill. Too many errors to overcome. That's sometimes the problem with AWD, whether it is rear biased or not. There is so much stability through the corners, drivers begin to feel too confident. They may get by with one or two errors through a corner, but it just takes that one time in the right situation, and it all catches up to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBsfuShUyQ&feature=related

Towards the end of this video will show the damage to the car, it's actually not bad and it will all buff out..........hahaha

That was the passenger talking to the driver; named "Tim". You can hear him (the passenger /probably his car) say; "Please dont hit the wall, PLEASE DONT HIT THE WALL! STOP!,,,, Tim! God Damnit"!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    That was the passenger talking to the driver; named "Tim". You can hear him (the passenger /probably his car) say; "Please dont hit the wall, PLEASE DONT HIT THE WALL! STOP!,,,, Tim! God Damnit"!!

Could it be Dad, teaching little Timmy how to drive?

I like watching this video - makes my skin crawl and gives you the heart-wrenching gut-stomping bad feeling that is priceless - at someone elses expense. But stop - look again what can we learn in terms of last minute correction to avoid the wall. Here is my shot at what should have saved him...

He might have missed the wall had he turned the wheel quickly in the other direction as soon as he was sliding backwards in the grass. Notice how he literally steers the rear into the wall - it was never going to come around in time in the grass given his input.

Ups I switch reguarily my PSM off, maybe not such a good thing (lot of fun though)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778616 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442138 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263009 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261300 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85549 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5764 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880981 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816926 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM