Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Article scan requested

Whomever get this issue first please scan this article and post it. By the time we get it it's one month old.

Re: Article scan requested

Stunning color on the Aston! :O But Carrera and scans please!

420hp Aston v's 340hp Carrera? Seems a little bit of a mismatch if you ask me...will be interesting read tho'

Very good review of an excellent car the 997.2.
    Poor guys from CAR mag have the unenviable task of trying to find all sorts of arguments to make the Aston Martin look like a good proposition. They even compare it to a basic 997 so that the extra weight of fat Aston doesn't show too much. And guess what, they end up talking about the buttons and the "counter intuitive gear changes" (which is absolute bo**ocks of course for 99% of normal owners), because they cannot find much wrong with the Carrera. It is an English magazine after all and a bit of patriotism doesn't hurt.
    They make appear like Germany beting a very good England team but only after extra time and penalties.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Poor guys from CAR mag have the unenviable task of trying to find all sorts of arguments to make the Aston Martin look like a good proposition. They even compare it to a basic 997 so that the extra weight of fat Aston doesn't show too much. And guess what, they end up talking about the buttons and the "counter intuitive gear changes" (which is absolute bo**ocks of course for 99% of normal owners), because they cannot find much wrong with the Carrera. It is an English magazine after all and a bit of patriotism doesn't hurt.
    They make appear like Germany beting a very good England team but only after extra time and penalties.

Apparently you are not aware that CAR magazine is notoriously pro-Porsche. To my knowledge, they have yet to be ultra critical of any Porsche and have not found the AM worth while.

FWIW, just put both cars side by side and watch how fast the Porsche disappears.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    420hp Aston v's 340hp Carrera? Seems a little bit of a mismatch if you ask me

Remember, hp is less than half of the equation. The 911 weighs 215kg less than the Aston and they have "almost identical" power-to-weight ratios. That makes them basically dead even driving in a straight line, and you can guess where the advantage lies as soon as there's a corner to negotiate.

I'll take a lightweight, lower powered car any day of the week over a heavy, higher powered car.

The scan is too small to read, but that V8 looks good in red.

Thank you so much for the scan .

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Apparently you are not aware that CAR magazine is notoriously pro-Porsche. To my knowledge, they have yet to be ultra critical of any Porsche and have not found the AM worth while.

FWIW, just put both cars side by side and watch how fast the Porsche disappears.

They are pro-Porsche in this article too and the Carrera takes "victory" because if it is so much better than 997.1 then it has to be a great car. But CAR try to taint its superiority against a home competitor with what I consider absolutely subjective statements.

Aston Martin is a cottage industry compared to the engineering abilities of the Porsche/VW giant. It has also been a hot potato for all its previous (numerous) owners and I wonder how long it will take the present ownership regime to sell in order to cut their losses.

True, A-M has a dignified and appearance befit of James Bond and English clubman types. But for people who like no frills but substance there is only Porsche.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Remember, hp is less than half of the equation. The 911 weighs 215kg less than the Aston and they have "almost identical" power-to-weight ratios. That makes them basically dead even driving in a straight line, and you can guess where the advantage lies as soon as there's a corner to negotiate.

I'll take a lightweight, lower powered car any day of the week over a heavy, higher powered car.

Yes, this is the engineering weakness of A-M, needing a huge engine to drive a unnecesarilly very heavy 2 seater car, as fast as the athletic Porsche.

unfortunatly, besides the design and exclusivity factors, the Aston his little superiority to offer...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    unfortunatly, besides the design and exclusivity factors, the Aston his little superiority to offer...

except for the best sound available in a showroom.

and to be fair, this car should be matched against the S...

The AMV8 should be compared against a 997S Mk2 with X51 powerkit. Then, we're talking similar money. Yes, as nberry said, the Porsche will disappear into the distance, yes, far far ahead into the distance

@racerx: just save the pages to your computer and then zoom in to view each page in a bigger, more user-friendly size

Match it against anything Marwan, it will still win on what matters in the real world,

sound, beauty, and rarity

you can have tenth's of a second, even a second, imperceptible, but beauty and sound are unmistakeable.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Match it against anything Marwan, it will still win on what matters in the real world,

you can have tenth's of a second, even a second, imperceptible, but beauty and sound are unmistakeable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder racerx.
    If you want sound buy a good sound system.
    If you want rarity by a Ferrari because they limit production by choice. A-M is rare because very few want to buy one!

Easy,

It's a lazy sunday here, all that clicking to read when I can watch video's?

Oil shortages aside, porsche needs the panamera to be a design hit, so that their engineering expertise can be showcased in new "wrapper". RC says the mule is not the final product, let's hope so.

for sound comparisons;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFv9myC_Co&feature=user

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

If you want rarity by a Ferrari because they limit production by choice. A-M is rare because very few want to buy one!

Reg,

I've got it all in my mint 928, porsche engineering, sleekest body ever, more rare than a ferrari, best sounding exhaust I have ever heard due to an all stainlees hi-flow custom set-up.

Great scan, thanks! Does anyone have detailed information on what was changed with the front suspension? Worth retrofit or is better to go aftermarket?

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

Reg,

I've got it all in my mint 928, porsche engineering, sleekest body ever, more rare than a ferrari, best sounding exhaust I have ever heard due to an all stainlees hi-flow custom set-up.

I am happy for you! A content individual at long last! Cheers to that
    928 was a great Porsche indeed and I hope they come up with a worthy follow up soon after Panamera.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The AMV8 should be compared against a 997S Mk2 with X51 powerkit. Then, we're talking similar money. Yes, as nberry said, the Porsche will disappear into the distance, yes, far far ahead into the distance

@racerx: just save the pages to your computer and then zoom in to view each page in a bigger, more user-friendly size

If performance is the only issue, I could list several cars that will make a Porsche disappear side by side.

To continue your play on words, the 997MK2 with a power kit will disappear in the rear view mirror while driving a far cheaper GT-R.

Seriously, which car has more prestige and road presence; the AM or Porsche?

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Thats true of course, as I do remember the Porsche stuffing the Aston some time ago in the Topgear test. However, there was only 30bhp difference.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Seriously, which car has more prestige and road presence; the AM or Porsche?

Nick, one thing you always seem to overlook is that not everyone is in the market for a poseur-mobile.

that was pretty funny.
    i doubt nick will let that one slide.

Quote:
    bvineyards said:

I doubt it too. He generally recycles one of his old posts we have read here so many times before on occasions like this. It's an old rennteam tradition.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    bvineyards said:

I doubt it too. He generally recycles one of his old posts we have read here so many times before on occasions like this. It's an old rennteam tradition.

Ahhh, Fritz my man, have you no shame? The tradition of recycling is exemplified by no one other than you. Whereas I have agreed with some of your post, I don't believe there is one post of mine where you even partly agreed with.

Rather, you recycle the tiresome claim that unless you own a Porsche, all other cars are for poseurs. This argument is used when someone has no facts to back up what is being discussed. But I must remind you that I do own a Porsche (truck that is). Nevertheless, it is a Porsche.

I love my 911, but imo that am is very pretty.

Quote:
    racerx said:

as much as I like to agree with you, I can't overlook reliability, performance, resale value... which brings me to ferrari as the best compromise (scuderia october factory delivery)...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

as much as I like to agree with you, I can't overlook reliability, performance, resale value... which brings me to ferrari as the best compromise (scuderia october factory delivery)...

That should be a blast, can't argue performance there, but let me know when you have 23 years and 78K on the scud and we'll talk reliability.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778691 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442156 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263026 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5767 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880991 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817010 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM