Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Who owns a Smart fortwo car in rennteam????

As title says, would like to know who here owns a Smart fortwo....

Was going to put this in the off-topic board, but well thought in the sports car board would be better....

I've had a first generation fortwo (599cc, 45bhp), for some months, going to work with it (perfect gaps for parking, no long waits untill you get a good parking spot), sold it and now I'm getting delivered a brand new 2008 Smart fortwo pulse, 84bhp turbo 1.000cc engine....cant wait !!!!!

The majority will think I'm crazy for posting this, in fact some years ago, thought this car was not even classified as a CAR, even more like a "mens" car, but after driving the first generation of the fortwo (the worse engine) now I understand why they are so commons !!!!, its quite big inside, engines sound great, good performance (and this is no joke, they are quick and well fuel consumption is just out of this world !!!!!! )

For those that hate this car, or thinks its a girly car (still some of my friends think that, untill we went for a drive in my previous smart), all I can say its one hell of a car, specially for the day to day, 100% fuel economy and great performance !!!!......

I plan having this car for about a year or so, and after that, make the big jump and return to something in the same league as my ex mini cooper S .......may be a VW R32 DSG (as I posted in a previous thread).....

anyway, for now, I cant wait untill Monday/Tuesday (delivery date), oh by the way !!!!, it comes with GREAT F1 paddles !!!!!, behind the wheel, just like ferrari, and not like the new PDK from porsche (puddles??? )

Re: Who owns a Smart fortwo car in rennteam????

haha Alex, that sounds awesome!!

Hope you post some pics once you receive it. I have still mixed feelinds about the smarts. Always hated them and stuff and eventually decided to go test drive one. I hated the small cabin but it was the very small 1st gen smart car. I did love the handling and fuel consumption though.
    Anyways, in the end the car is just too small for me and i also always found them quite expensive!

That being said what is the MPG for the fortwo? Since i purchased my ford focus the best MPG was 36MPG!!!! But on average it's around 32-34MPG

I heard the new fortwo has about 40MPG??!?!?! is this correct?

can't wait for pics!

Don't have one, but seeing a helluva lot more of them around DC as of late. It's as if they invaded like locust. One minute it was Minis, and now they're dissapearing in favor of Smarts and Vespas.

Sometimes I have to check to make sure I'm not living in Europe

Alex, I don't think this is at all off topic because I am convinced that many sports car owners who have lots of big city driving needs will be pairing their performance car with something like a Smart as their DD.

What will be interesting under high gas prices is if there will be societal pressure to avoid driving expensive/ guzzler/ fast cars in city centres and just use them for recreational driving where nobody sees you...

Quote:
    4trac said:
    Alex, I don't think this is at all off topic because I am convinced that many sports car owners who have lots of big city driving needs will be pairing their performance car with something like a Smart as their DD.

exactly!

had the smart for two brabus black edition of the first generation and now changed to the brabus of the new second gen. and it is a perfect car for driving into the city and you will always find a parking place!

regards

I have one and the car is one of the best in the city. And with 84bhp the performance are great. The trans. is not as fast as a F 430 but it works.

Still waiting to see the new little Toyota with three places.

I don't own it but it is my company car. And from all other cars we have in the company it is the one that I prefer to move around. As many of you I had mixed feelings at the beginning about it but now I'm really thinking to buy one for me. As a car in town it is THE BEST. And it has to be the first model, cabrio the better, because I really don't like the new one. Don't like the styling and in the same time the size of the new model I find it too big to park it everywhere. By the way the one I'm using it is a diesel one! And I'm not going to talk about the gearbox because it is the worst thing I have ever seen! Also I was thinking that after buying my own to attend the Smart club - Spain.

I have a 700cc Turbo Fortwo Passion 2003 model, all silver.
    It has the wide option wheels and most important it has hydraulic assisted steering wheel.
    When I first bought it, I was teased by many, but after a few months pretty much every person I know has or would like to have one.

I am about to receive in one month the new gemeration, Fortwo Pulse with all the options included, again the turbo version for 84bhp.

Biggest advantages are compact size, ease of drive, fuel consumption, internal space layout, robust construction.

I live in the center of Athens, Greece...

nice guys !!, glad the Smart is welcome at rennteam!!!

@Atz, I've read in the smart forums, its fuel consumption can even reach 50MPG , although its not that common in fact some owners of the new generation, specially with the 84bhp turbo, has never seen 50MPG..

@4trac, imo this car its the future, perfect for going to work, and having a sportscar for the weekends and rare occasions (of course for someone that has no children )

@Ulrich; the new generation fortwo Brabus, looks insane !!!, was thinking in getting one, but thought it was too expensive for what it is, I think the 84bhp turbo pulse is more than what I need for the every-day....

Like I said I'm planning in selling it in a years time, after that I'll see what I get

Will post pics next week when I get it delivered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always loved the Smart ForTwo and all this talk is making me want to go out and buy one!!! Tell me, is there a Brabus version that gives you more power or are there any tuners out there to make this thing a little faster?

I drive a 2006 Smart ForTwo on a daily basis and I have solved all my daily mobility problems. Small for city traffic and parking, roomy for two, high driving position which good in queues, economical on petrol and maintenance, reliable so far. It is also stylish in a sense that no other economy car is.
    I have to concede however that it doesn't feel very secure on a crowded motorway with lots of HGVs, especially when it is windy. It requires many steering corrections.
    For the city and around it is unbeatable if you don't need to carry for than one passenger.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I have always loved the Smart ForTwo and all this talk is making me want to go out and buy one!!! Tell me, is there a Brabus version that gives you more power or are there any tuners out there to make this thing a little faster?

lol, WAY, I prefer your "little" driving simulation you managed to do at home....that is insane man !!!

The fortwo basic (which I dont remember the name ), comes with 61bhp or something...then it comes the 71bhp edition(which dealer let me drive an example all over the weekend, gotta say its a different car from the first fortwo generation, absolutely a new car, like comparing a 986boxster with a 997gt2, very quick, GREAT engine sound, put the smart up to 150kph in NO TIME, its just another new car compared to the mk1).... after that it comes the 84bhp with turbo(which I ordered one)...., and finally the brabus with 94bhp (if not 94bhp, 90 something )....

I've read that you can directly buy from your smart dealer a sport engine package (like a powerkit, ala porsche style ), that is only available for the brabus, but prepare to pay big money , BUT, most of the fortwo owners, are installing reliable remaps in their fortwo's specially for the 84bhp edition (and wait for this.....)........ if you do a good remap of the engine, it will cut the autolimiter, you'll get better gear-changes (smoother changes) and of course the best part: you get from 84bhp to 115bhp-120bhp), so imagine a fortwo that weights 700kg, 1.000cc engine, and 84bhp with turbo --->> NICE, but now imagine a fortwo of 700kg same as above but with 115bhp ....--->

Anyway, cant wait untill I get mine next week, thank god this weekend I have a big big party to forget about the delivery by :

I'm almost too embarrased to admit this, but one of my daily drivers a long time ago was a 1995 Honda Civic Vx. It got 56 mpg in the highway. I measured it to be closer to 60 mpg when I drove at the speed limit. This car was much larger than the Smart ForTwo and it had 92 HP, which was not the weakest engine in the lineup. So, why are we so excited about getting approx 41 mpg in a Smart today, 13 years later?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_G...c&trimid=-1

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_e...o&trimid=-1

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I'm almost too embarrased to admit this, but one of my daily drivers a long time ago was a 1995 Honda Civic Vx. It got 56 mpg in the highway. I measured it to be closer to 60 mpg when I drove at the speed limit. This car was much larger than the Smart ForTwo and it had 92 HP, which was not the weakest engine in the lineup. So, why are we so excited about getting approx 41 mpg in a Smart today, 13 years later?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_G...c&trimid=-1

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_e...o&trimid=-1

I agree, but not completely

A smart fortwo apart from its great fuel consumption (and apart that you fill up the petrol tank with about 20-25 Euro , covering about 600km of range), it sounds great !!! (and this is no joke, whn test-driving the 71bhp at high revvs reminded me the sound of a 987boxster (NOT JOKING, I SWEAR.....AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT IT REMINDED ME ), apart from all this, the key is its size !!!!, its amazing going to work and parking the car in space gaps where only motorbikes would get in, for me that's the key, and probably the main and only reason I bought one....well sum up that the driving experience, is somehow "sporty", its nice to drive one, and again im not joking, it feels like a little sportscars, and wait untill I get mine delivered with the f1 paddles!! ....

I'm intrigued by this vehicle. But first, we have to deal with the jokes until there are a lot more of them on the road. I'm seeing more and more of them now. And it would be nice if we can get the Smart ForTwo Diesel, which gets 71 mpg. Do you have the Diesel in Europe?

Alex, can you give me a link to a company that does the ECU remap? How much would that cost?

And yes, my little set up at home is great!

yeah the diesel version is available here in Europe, although I dont recommend this version, as performance is really bad,...low performance, but fuel consumption is probably the lowest in the entire automotive market

To be very honest , I think the 71bhp version is more than perfect, those thinking in getting one, go for a test-drive with the 71bhp it will blow your mind, like it did to me !!!, fast little car, with very good response...so that's why I decide myself to get the 84bhp turbo....to have more fun factor....and I havent drived the 84bhp version, so will see....hope it has the same sound as the 71bhp version.....

I am gonna go test drive the 84bhp version tomorrow just for the fun of it. We don't get the Brabus tune here so the turbo is the max.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Alex, can you give me a link to a company that does the ECU remap? How much would that cost?

And yes, my little set up at home is great!

mmm, let me investigate about that...I know of two companies here in Spain, that are reliable when doing remaps for fortwos, but I imagine that cant help you....I also have seen some web pages from british tunning companies, that offer this sort of remaps....

In any case, you might want to have a look to the USA smart board, and british board....these are the links...

www.thesmartclub.com -->this one is british, lots of threads about remaps...

www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums

by the way, I also forgot to say, that if you finally install a remap, fuel consumption would be even lower (of course it will be lower when driving relaxed )

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I am gonna go test drive the 84bhp version tomorrow just for the fun of it. We don't get the Brabus tune here so the turbo is the max.

lol, the power of internet boards and communities !!!!, for sure this is the future !!!

Let me know what you think when you finish test-driving it, be sure to try and drive the PULSE version, which comes with the sporty steering wheel (much more thick than the passion version), better designed steering wheel and of course the f1 paddles....

May be the only downside I see of the smart (but I like it more or less) is the dashboard design, you have to get used to it from time to time....

I hope you like the 84bhp turbo version !!

Ok I did it. I love the way the car looked, both in and out. The glass roof makes it feel bigger than it is.

It's a perky little engine! The car isn't slow at all. It is also a lot stable than I thought through the corners. One big dissapointment is the brakes. It requires a very heavy foot to get any bite. Also the gear shift is very slow unless you lift off during shifting which actually speeds it up.

I can see why Europeans will love this car with your narrow roads and congested cities. But here in Melb, the car is predominantly bought as an advertising tool as it isn't suitable to our long distances. If I lived in Asia or Europe, this car would be a no brainer!

Oh, and the exhaust isn't too bad once you rev it up.

The Smart Car we get here in the states was tested to barely get 32 MPG since the engine was having to work so hard to get the little car moving and keep it moving. It actually got worse mileage on the highway as I recall.
    On my recent trip back from Montreal my 997S got 27 mpg at a steady average of 74 miles per hour over 1400 miles. For the extra 5 mpg I will stick with the 180 mph 911.
    So far I have seen one smart car here in KC. It may not be so smart here as we have plenty of free parking and the other cars on the road would totally crush the little thing in an accident.
    I would get one if the version here got anywhere near 45 mpg but the 32 mpg or so reported by major magazines is not worth it. A little Honda civic would be a better bet in this city.
    Can't wait to get a 997.2 - a base Car with PDF may be close to 30 mpg on the highway! That is impressive.

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    The Smart Car we get here in the states was tested to barely get 32 MPG since the engine was having to work so hard to get the little car moving and keep it moving. It actually got worse mileage on the highway as I recall.
    On my recent trip back from Montreal my 997S got 27 mpg at a steady average of 74 miles per hour over 1400 miles. For the extra 5 mpg I will stick with the 180 mph 911.
    So far I have seen one smart car here in KC. It may not be so smart here as we have plenty of free parking and the other cars on the road would totally crush the little thing in an accident.
    I would get one if the version here got anywhere near 45 mpg but the 32 mpg or so reported by major magazines is not worth it. A little Honda civic would be a better bet in this city.
    Can't wait to get a 997.2 - a base Car with PDF may be close to 30 mpg on the highway! That is impressive.

Hot off the press! Porsche now includes Adobe functionality in its cars! Buy the latest 911 and you can now create PDF's at 186mph!

I am tempted to park one next to my scuderia...

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Ok I did it. I love the way the car looked, both in and out. The glass roof makes it feel bigger than it is.

It's a perky little engine! The car isn't slow at all. It is also a lot stable than I thought through the corners. One big dissapointment is the brakes. It requires a very heavy foot to get any bite. Also the gear shift is very slow unless you lift off during shifting which actually speeds it up.

I can see why Europeans will love this car with your narrow roads and congested cities. But here in Melb, the car is predominantly bought as an advertising tool as it isn't suitable to our long distances. If I lived in Asia or Europe, this car would be a no brainer!

Oh, and the exhaust isn't too bad once you rev it up.

NICE , WAY !!!!

Glad you liked the car, in some way I feel better for buying this car, since I read your little opinion...About the brakes, that's something I didnt had in mind, will find out, and tell my opinion...

Like I said the 71bhp felt amazing, very responsive, so the 84bhp turbo must be even better, glad you liked it...

The gear changes: I've also read some negative comments about it from other owners, in automatic mode, gear changes are slow, but if you drive with the manual mode, or the f1 paddles, gear-changes are more quick....

I hope to get it delivered tomorrow afternoon, so will definately post some pics here!!

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

lol, that would be a nice/rare (ok very rare ) pic to look at..

If you are looking for something to move inside the city, park where ever you want, etc....this is your little daily driver....if you can get a brabus version in Lebanon, that would be the one, instead of the 84bhp or 71bhp version !..

What colour did you go for? My favourite combo is white with the silver side thing.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    What colour did you go for? My favourite combo is white with the silver side thing.

went for dark blue, with black colour for the side capsule (side thing )...

Actually I didnt went for dark blue, there was only a single 84bhp turbo coming to the dealer, with a month time for delivery...as I wanted the 84bhp version, had to wait for a month to come this car, or simply order one to my taste and wait 3 months for delivery.....As I couldnt wait more than a month, had to choose the blue one.....if not I would have love to get it in white, just as you said !!!

Getting it delivered TODAY at 18.00h

will post pics

Can't wait to see it and hear your impression!

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

lol, that would be a nice/rare (ok very rare ) pic to look at..

If you are looking for something to move inside the city, park where ever you want, etc....this is your little daily driver....if you can get a brabus version in Lebanon, that would be the one, instead of the 84bhp or 71bhp version !..

I think I'll just use my harley for that

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809336 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267962 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91127 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888912 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    841053 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM