Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

To rear wiper or not to rear-wiper that is the ???

Hi all:

I am in the process of building options to order my 09 C4S. As I live in Portland, OR and with the frequent rain I am wondering if I should order the rear wiper or not. I have heard that the angle of the rear windshield takes care of rain build up. Is this really true?

For me functionality is as important as looks as some have suggested that it detracts from the clean lines!

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who live in rainy climates.

Thanks.

Murali

Re: To rear wiper or not to rear-wiper that is the

I'm in the same boat. So far I have opted NOT to put the rear wiper. I walked the lot and didn't see a single 911 with it.

Get the rear wiper if you think you'll use it seasonally.

In the summer pull off the wiper blade, find a nice plastic cap somewhere and cap the stud.

I don't see that my C4S is much different from most other cars in terms of visibility through the rear window when it is raining. Adding a rear wiper to me, is the same as having one on an SUV. Clearly you would have improved visibility with a rear wiper. For Portland, it likely makes sense because of the number of rainy days you have per year.

Rear wiper might make ultimate sense if you had snowfall to deal with on a seasonal basis during a slow commute?

We do have quite some rain over here and I do not have the rear wiper.
    Once and a while, in town, the back can be covered with water, but as soon as you drive faster the water is pushed away.
    So, if you realy want to have always a clear view out of the back, then take the wiper ( it' s not so bad looking )
    If you want more 'pure lines' and don't mind sometimes to have a unclear view out of the back , then no wiper ( that was my choice with no regrets, even when snowing).

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    We do have quite some rain over here and I do not have the rear wiper.
    Once and a while, in town, the back can be covered with water, but as soon as you drive faster the water is pushed away.
    So, if you realy want to have always a clear view out of the back, then take the wiper ( it' s not so bad looking )
    If you want more 'pure lines' and don't mind sometimes to have a unclear view out of the back , then no wiper ( that was my choice with no regrets, even when snowing).

Moreover, there is no water jet so the use of the wiper is even more limited. Unless they added a jet on 997.2.

Had it on my 996 - not on my 997 - I don't miss it.

I hardly ever use it on my 993 Targa. If you drive the window cleans itself. Only in traffic and when it rains a lot I put it on.

I didn't spec and my rear view is always perfect, no matter what the conditions.

Remember that even if you get the wiper then here is no water jet that comes with it, so you will just be scraping dirt anyway.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    I didn't spec and my rear view is always perfect, no matter what the conditions.

Remember that even if you get the wiper then here is no water jet that comes with it, so you will just be scraping dirt anyway.

I didn't know that. Good job I never spec'd it then.

The rear wiper is really only useful for shifting overnight accumulations of light snow, morning dew, thin frost etc that you would otherwise scrape off with a rubber scraper. You get my drift

It's not actually needed while it's raining. The rain just slides off.

True - there's no water jet so any 'dried on' marks won't get removed.

The downside is that, while not ugly by any means, it does clutter the lines on the rear and it eliminates the rear visual symmetry. That matters to some people and doesn't to others.

Plus, does a rear wiper really belong on a 180mph sports car? It makes it look like a VW Golf IMO!

In Florida it rains very frequently... As others have said, the rain sheds off nicely... Even when parked, I can see adequately enough to maneuver.

We've debated this before, and those who are for the wiper, you'd think they want to be able to read a book from their rear view mirror!

I've never once "needed" the wiper for any parking situation, I've always felt I've got decent visibility, even in driving rain.

Yes, in the snow, you'd be inclined to have it.

And man, is a wiper a flippin PITA when washing/cleaning your car. They snag your towel, they hold water, they get in the way, they suck. I wish I could ditch my windshield wipers for some newer technology. Also, there's always that inevitability of the blade slipping out of the arm on one end, or ripping, and then the next time you turn the wiper on it permanently scores/scratches your glass....

Oh, and they're ugly too...

Bottom-line, don't order it unless you absolutely need it for the climate you're in. For Portland, rain, I'd say don't bother...

Seasonally remove rear wiper and have not-overpoweringly distracting blue tinted items showing under the red stud which you can cap. Worth it? I dunno.

at first i was disappointed my tt didnt have the free wiper...rennteam posts and a some rainy driving quickly changed my mind...water dosent accumulate on the back glass....tales of broken glass from a mis-handled wiper,hmmm...the clincher for me however was seeing a tt in person with the wiper, just didnt look good ,imo

rear wiper is ugly... don't do it. You won't miss it. I don't have one and it doesn't hinder me.

Quote:
    ridleyguy said:
    I don't see that my C4S is much different from most other cars in terms of visibility through the rear window when it is raining. Adding a rear wiper to me, is the same as having one on an SUV. Clearly you would have improved visibility with a rear wiper. For Portland, it likely makes sense because of the number of rainy days you have per year.

My second car is also a 4x4 and I wouldn't dream of not having a rear wiper on it, because the vertical rear window gets dirty quickly and really needs it. On the other hand, I learned long ago that a 911 does not need a rear wiper and have lived happily without one ever since.

I have it and hardly ever use it and it rains a lot here in Florida. Wouldn't order it again.

Counter Argument: Yes Rear Wiper

The rear wiper is not just about function. As pointed out, if you are moving at any reasonable speed, rain will not accumulate (unlike SUVs and similar cars, where poor aerodynamics cause your own road spray to stick to the rear window.) It does help in parking lots and with snow at slow speeds.

The real reason to get the rear wiper is because it harks back to the original 911s of the late 60s and 70s. When I was growing up, I was fascinated by these cars that had a rear wiper! It was part of the notion that with Porsche, function reigned supreme...

Kamal (MA)

All:

Thank you very much for the replies and much valued input. I am now leaning towards not ordering the rear wiper unless of course as some have suggested it is a good insurance item to have in the rare occasion I am in snow with the car.

If it is snowing wiping the rear windscreen will be low down your list of priorities when driving nearly 400 hp thru the rear wheels!!

Glad you've seen the light - car is much cleaner without the wiper.

I don't think I will bother again mainly because the thing creates so much blooming wind noise.

I'm toying with the idea of removing it for the summer but does anyone have a suggestion of something to tidily cap the spline?

I wish now I hadn't ordered mine - certainly won't bother next time.

BTW - if you are removing it, be sure to make allowances for the fact that....if you have your front wipers on, your rear wiper will automatically start when you engage reverse gear.

rear wiper is only useful is seriously poor weather condition areas (ie heavy snow areas). not needed for rain as rain flows right off the window.

I agree with the many posts that it is not the prettiest option. you may want to consider against the option and save a few bucks.

Would be really cool if Porsche released statistics on how many customers order this option.

Heck..., would be mind boggling to get the whole story of what percentage of cars are ordered with which options!

Re: To rear wiper or not to rear-wiper that is the ???

On a 911 the rear wiper it's a waste of money 99% of the time. For the other 1% just delay your journey or wait for the rain to slow down/stop

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Would be really cool if Porsche released statistics on how many customers order this option.

Heck..., would be mind boggling to get the whole story of what percentage of cars are ordered with which options!

I honestly don't remember ever seeing this option on a 997. Then again, I live in So Cal.

Quote:
    bridggar said:
    Had it on my 996 - not on my 997 - I don't miss it.

Same here--and you want to know what I don't miss about not having the wiper? The risk of some chump at the dealership lifting it up to clean the rear glass and letting it fall back down, which puts a nice nasty scratch in the paint. It happened twice to mine; the second time the bodyshop that had just finished repainting the area for the wiper scratch, scratched it during clean up. You should have heard the conversation we had on that one.

Unless Porsche has redesigned the arm to prevent it from turning over when it's lifted, it is a scratch waiting to happen. If you get one, do yourself a favor and tape the blade to the arm with electrical tape every time you take it to the shop for anything.

Like the C4, the wiper is probably ONLY intended for markets like Scandinavia and Northern Canada.

(kidding)

I kind of like mine. Used it many times in the snow. Wish it can spray though.

Even in moderate rain I activate it as I often drive in the city at lower speed.

I'm a diehard form follows function type of guy, so no regrets at all, will do it again if I live in places where it rains often or snows.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778866 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442183 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263054 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261335 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85567 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5777 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881021 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817188 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM