Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PCCB vs. metal brakes

I am considering spec'ing PCCB on a new 911 C2S and am interested in feedback anyone has about the "feel" of the brakes. I have heard from a local stereo installer than several people have PCCB and regret it - claiming they are too "touchy". I was wondering what the experience of the people on this board has been? Any downsides, other than price? Any upsides that aren't obvious?

Re: PCCB vs. metal brakes

I find it is exactly the opposite. The softer the brakes you have, the touchier they will be. With PCCB, which is a harder-than-rock rotor (one wants to say rock-hard, but that would be underestimating it) and similar pads to match, the brakes are much better warm than cold. Also, in a Porsche, even the iron brakes are set up in a way which asks for a fairly hard push before you get retardation. In a sports car, that is what you want, right? Modulation, control and all that.

To sum up many other aspects of PCCB, it is the system to go for if you don't mind the extra price.

The feel is superb, but different to irons, that is definitely so. Touchy it isn't, don't worry about that.

I just love my PCCB - I would not hesitate to spec them on any car

I find them to have a high initial bite, but after that, they can be modulated very well.

and no brake dust

PCCBs are perfect. The feeling is really good, powerful and easy to module.

If you don't mind the price go for them, they are worth it !

I have found the PCCB's to have more initial bite than iron, but they feel very reassuring and easy to modulate beyond the first bit of pedal travel.

For comparison, try a new BMW 135i. They have huge initial bite and have far too much servo assistance throughout their travel (nearly impossible to modulate - like an on/off switch). PCCB is not like this at all...

Quote:
    joe pruskowski said:
    I am considering spec'ing PCCB on a new 911 C2S and am interested in feedback anyone has about the "feel" of the brakes. I have heard from a local stereo installer than several people have PCCB and regret it - claiming they are too "touchy". I was wondering what the experience of the people on this board has been? Any downsides, other than price? Any upsides that aren't obvious?

I'm glad I ordered PCCB on my 997 Turbo, wouldn't like to drive a 911 without it. My first 997 Carrera 2 had them too, they were a bit noisier but still great.

Everyone - thanks for the information. It seems when people describe PCCB brakes being "touchy", they are referring to the initial bite which makes sense. The fact that they have good modulation is important for me - I currently have an SL55 which is very poor in this area (it's servo assisted).

Quote:
    joe pruskowski said:
    I currently have an SL55 which is very poor in this area (it's servo assisted).

Well, virtually every modern car has servoassisted brakes but I assume you refer to the SBC system used in the SL and intermittendly in the E-class. There is no comparison between your previous car's and the 911's brakes.
    There is, in my eyes, no simple answer to this subject, if you are willing to pay the premium for the PCCB you will get the above mentioned benefits, especially the superior modulation and lack of brake dust. However one does not need them on the regular cars since performance is more or less limited by the tires and not the brakes.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with the PCCB in my Turbo. The feel is amazing, they give you total control. Go for it if you can afford.

Bluntly stated considerations (my us$.02):

Massive 13.8 inch vented and perforated 6 piston (4 in rear) monoblock caliper stock brakes never let me down, disappointed nor failed to impress me during my frisky driving on public roads.

You can not carry a spare because it won't fit over larger PCCB rotor; no spare makes your car less reliable by definition.

Apparently (?) you have to be a little cautious when conditions become wet. Lowers your safety margin if only for a few moments of initial application if they become wet after long period of disuse.

Extra money for PCCB will increase your track performance.

Red and yellow are both annoying "look-at-my-ugly-calipers" colors, maybe choose the one which blends in better with your exterior body color choice.

What do you intend to do with your car, I do not believe you will find the steels wanting unless you track it.

Tracked my car on steels, uprated steels and another 997S with PCCBs. The most important element which I feel some people might have forgotten to mention is the variation in feel from cold to warm to "cooked".

Bottom line for me:
    1- I cooked my own brake pads twice, once the standard ones, the other Pagids R42s. Feel was good, but once they start going, forget it.
    2- Uprated Pagids R29: good for the track BUT not for the road (noisy), but already yesterday the pedal was sinking deeper, so feel very good when warm, but somewhat wayward in the afternoon (this is the 1st time it happened in 4 sessions). As to the actual reason, uncertain as of yet.
    3- PCCBs: spend 1 afternoon in Leipzig using them to the max, no difference in feel. I did not cook them as well, so all in all, I would definitely spec them on my next car.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Bluntly stated considerations (my us$.02):

Massive 13.8 inch vented and perforated 6 piston (4 in rear) monoblock caliper stock brakes never let me down, disappointed nor failed to impress me during my frisky driving on public roads.

You can not carry a spare because it won't fit over larger PCCB rotor; no spare makes your car less reliable by definition.

Apparently (?) you have to be a little cautious when conditions become wet. Lowers your safety margin if only for a few moments of initial application if they become wet after long period of disuse.

Extra money for PCCB will increase your track performance.

Red and yellow are both annoying "look-at-my-ugly-calipers" colors, maybe choose the one which blends in better with your exterior body color choice.

MMD, you are simply wrong about the ability to have a spare tire fit. I have PCCB and I go on MANY long road trips - never without a spare - would you like pictures of my car with a spare on it rolling down the road? The GT3 PCCB are a bit bigger so I will reserve comment on those but for my 997S PCCB and spare tire is not an issue. BTW I am using the spare from a 03 996 - the tall skinny one that does not need to be inflated. It fits perfectly in the front trunk. Of course if you have a flat it will need to go in the backseat so bring a big trashbag. The peace of mind is priceless when you are on a 6K mile roadtrip and have a spare tire.

PCCB is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have over 50K miles on mine and they look as new - no pad wear yet according to the dealer doing the service. No Dust, no noises, no fading. The only thing is - and this applies to all types - no brakes after leaving the carwash until you really step into it.
    Cheers,

I've had three sets of them, and now have them on my GT3RS. I love them in all ways, but I would not order them on a C2S, not cost effective. On a $140K car, yes, but not a a regular 911. Stock brakes plenty good for street driving.

PCCB- Best option on my car by far.

Quote:
    crg said:
    and no brake dust

no brake dust??? maybe not as much as steel brakes but there is still plenty of break dust! especialliy after the track...

Quote:
    Bluehinder said:
    I've had three sets of them, and now have them on my GT3RS. I love them in all ways, but I would not order them on a C2S, not cost effective. On a $140K car, yes, but not a a regular 911. Stock brakes plenty good for street driving.

Agree completely. You'll not get your money back..

PCCB's vs Irons.

If you're tracking then Irons...if you're not and like the shiny yellow calipers..then PCCBs.

Quote:
    joe pruskowski said:

i have to say i am amazed by the performance of my PCCBs. i have tracked my car numerous times now and for instance last weekend i was out with the Porsche Club at Hockenheim and I went for 16 consecutive laps on the F1 GP course full power and there was not even a slight feel of fading! they are just amazing!
    However, one important fact is that if you should have to replace the rotors at some point, which might happen after X km of hard track driving it will cost you EUR 12000 to replace only the four rotors!!!
    mine are still in very good shape but the rear pads are finished now after 7600km...
    in conclusion, they are more than stunning but def cost intensive!

side info: carrera PCCB front rotors 350mm
    GT3 & Turbo PCCB front rotors 380mm

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:

MMD, you are simply wrong about the ability to have a spare tire fit.

Good! No problem. Thanks for correcting me. I'm glad you guys can carry a spare.

I remember a longish thread saying they were too big for a spare and must have locked it into my memory incorrectly.

AWWGGGGH! Wait a minute! I'm sorry for the confusion I may have caused. Guys with _Turbos_ can NOT fit the spare over the TT's PCCBS.

pccb stop like crazy. pedal fel is stiff compared to red brakes. stopping power for road is more than good enough on the red brakes.

i got almost just as much brake dust with my pccb's as with my turbo brakes.

It's hard to believe cars even stopped before PPCB's became an option.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    It's hard to believe cars even stopped before PPCB's became an option.

HeeHeeHee! There go those pesky human minds again... .

So, what's the verdict on PCCBs for hard track driving w/ a 2S (and I'm thinking of an '09, just got rid of my '05 at end of lease)? In particular, I'd love to hear about the experience of someone who was traditionally hard on steel brakes (read frequent pad and rotor replacements) who has gone on to aggressively track a car w/ PCCBs. I'm confident that they will perform better, that the lower unsprung weight will be a benefit, and I think I can get comfortable with the initial cost, but if I have to shell out for new rotors even 1/2 as often as I go through steel ones I don't think I'll be very psyched. The idea of getting the PCCBs and removing the ceramic rotors and replacing w/ steel also doesn't seem like a great idea to me from a cost / benefit perspective.

Thanks

As a long time Porsche owner I have been amazed to hear about how often people are forced to replace their rotors (front) on 911s of today. I drove literally 100,000 miles on a couple of 911s and never had to replace the iron rotors. But things are changing. Environmental issues are forcing brake manufacturers to use different materials and those materials are shortening the life of cast iron rotors, and their pads.

When you order a modern day automobile, one would think that you would want the best and most capable brakes for that auto. Compared to ceramics on a Ferrari, the Carrera PCCBs are a relative bargain.

Sure, like all brakes, they don't work effectively that first time you step on the brake coming out of a car wash, but that's it. I have read repeatedly the comments about a few people who claim that they're unsafe in rain. What a bunch of crap. I have over 26,000 on mine and they still look brand new. The brake pedal modulation is perfect, and I appreciate the lower unsprung weight as it makes that car handle that much better. I suspect the PCCB rotors will easily surpass 250,000 miles before you need consider replacment,--if even then. Do the math. How many time will you have been in for iron rotors and pads in that time, along with labor? And downtime with the car?

And the myriad complaints about rusty rotors and rusty wheels? Avoid iron,--and you avoid rust. People write how you won't get back your investment in PCCBs at resale. How much do you get back at resale anyway? Are you ordering the car for resale purposes?

There's also the set of people you might order the PCCBS, put inferior brakes on while they own it, and then return the PCCBs just before they sell the car. Poitn them out to me and I'LL buy that car! I love it when people save a car for the next guy.

Dan

Right on, Dan!

The best option, imo!

If you chose steel brakes you will be happy but if you choose PCCB you will never choose steel again. With a 997 every control is perfectly weighted and a pleasure to use. PCCB adds to the Porsche experience of perfecting the interface between man and machine. In a word they are sublime!

In my best Dr. Evil voice: "Right"....

Sublime????

Where did i put the Koolaid...ahh yes...right over there.

Quote:

Sure, like all brakes, they don't work effectively that first time you step on the brake coming out of a car wash, but that's it.
    Dan

What is with all this concern about braking after a carwash? I guess I was wrong thinking that most of us wash our own cars by hand. So maybe this is one of those problems that is discussed frequently but in reality happens rarely. On the other hand maybe going to the carwash is more common than I thought.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777818 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441941 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262888 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261114 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85372 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880788 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816300 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM