Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Europeans Go to U.S. Dealers To Buy Cars From Home

The weak dollar is drawing a new group of Europeans to shop in the U.S. -- for European cars.

More Europeans are turning to the U.S. to buy luxury cars, from Porsche 911s to Volvo 4x4s, and then shipping them back home. The cheap dollar and competitive pricing in the slow U.S. market can yield savings of as much as 30% of the cost of similar models in Europe, even after costs of transporting the cars and complying with different emissions standards.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121322618872266061.html?mod=AutosChannelMain_RelatedStories

Re: Europeans Go to U.S. Dealers To Buy Cars From Home

true....and i am currently sourcing an X6 50i from the US.
    Its priced at 100k euro in Germany vs 85 k dollars in the US

I really do wonder how it works.

I mean, a US spec car wiil have to be modified.

If you don't, I can't start to think how hard you will have to sell the car, or worst, trade it in.

You'll probably loose the difference on resale. So what's the point?

Quote:
    amazon said:

If you don't, I can't start to think how hard you will have to sell the car, or worst, trade it in.

Considering that a fully-specced Audi S5 costs 35.000 euros in the US, which with shipping, mods and taxes still nets under 50.000 euros, I respectfully disagree. Once the car is out of warranty (usually 2 years), it doesn't matter. Also, the required modifications are relatively miniscule. An S5 with similar options as a US car will run you over 70.000 euros here.

That being said, a possible lack of warranty is potentially worrisome, as I have already had the transmission and computer replaced in the A5.

I recall years ago when importing a Euro car to the US required heavier bumpers and door reinforcements, etc.
    Just curious as to what modifications are needed to import a US spec car into the EU today?
    Are the emissions specs even tighter than California?

I have a question. I am looking to export a nearly new 911 from the Us to me here in Europe because the saving are huge. I don't have to pay tax so it works out at half the cost. A C2 would cost me the same a Turbo would in the us.

Anyway here is my question. What if i was to buy a car with European delivery and just not ship the car back?

Re: Europeans Go to U.S. Dealers To Buy Cars From

That's great! Maybe while the Europeans are here they can break in their new cars by visiting the suburbs and spend money at the numerous garage sales to keep the US economy going.

:

Quote:
    amazon said:

On AutoScout , our 2 nd hand internet car offer, there a quite a few US Porsches to sell. Some brand new.
    It is damm worth it !!!!
    A friend of mine imported a C4S 996 and ended up paying 40'000 $ only !!!

I believe its not only the USD that makes it cheap but also the fact that cars in the US depreciate more than they do in Europe. (Except Ferrari)

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

Considering that a fully-specced Audi S5 costs 35.000 euros in the US, which with shipping, mods and taxes still nets under 50.000 euros, I respectfully disagree. Once the car is out of warranty (usually 2 years), it doesn't matter. Also, the required modifications are relatively miniscule. An S5 with similar options as a US car will run you over 70.000 euros here.

That being said, a possible lack of warranty is potentially worrisome, as I have already had the transmission and computer replaced in the A5.

And I was thinking of ordering an RS6 V10 TT

Quote:
    lazydoc said:
    What if i was to buy a car with European delivery and just not ship the car back?

lazydoc,

I bought a Volvo and did European delivery a couple of years ago. You sign forms stating you will export the car, there's an escrow to cover your VAT (which is refunded when the car is exported) and a couple of other forms to make sure you can't initially register the car outside the US.

If you don't ship the car back, your US selling dealer is pretty much directly taking a sale from your UK dealer. I'm sure corporate Porsche has already foreseen this and would make it very difficult to do as you propose.

ah ok, I was looking for a used 07 911 anyway. Thanks for the info

Quote:
    lazydoc said:Anyway here is my question. What if i was to buy a car with European delivery and just not ship the car back?

Interesting question. Buy the car from a US dealer with factory collection. It seems like all you would have to do is get it titled in your Euro country. There must be a catch.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    lazydoc said:Anyway here is my question. What if i was to buy a car with European delivery and just not ship the car back?

Interesting question. Buy the car from a US dealer with factory collection. It seems like all you would have to do is get it titled in your Euro country. There must be a catch.

Perhaps a clause in the contract? Btw, how do the guys of Armed Forces Europe do it? They keep their cars here for extended periods of time and their warranty seems to be doing just fine .

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    It seems like all you would have to do is get it titled in your Euro country. There must be a catch.

Yes, the catch is that you won't get it titled / regulary registered without the required papers (read: customs clearance, Euro Euro Euro for import duty, VAT etc.)

@ Crash: the army boys enjoy a special legal status (similar to diplomats)

as for the warranty: no prob - for example if you buy a Porsche in the US the warranty is valid in Europe as well (though under European terms & conditions)

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    It seems like all you would have to do is get it titled in your Euro country. There must be a catch.

Yes, the catch is that you won't get it titled / regulary registered without the required papers (read: customs clearance, Euro Euro Euro for import duty, VAT etc.)

as for the warranty: no prob - for example if you buy a Porsche in the US the warranty is valid in Europe as well (though under European terms & conditions)

So a worldwide warranty applies... Looking at the prices, it wouldn't be such a stupid idea to buy a 911 from the US .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

So a worldwide warranty applies... Looking at the prices, it wouldn't be such a stupid idea to buy a 911 from the US .

Does this also apply to other german car manufacturers?

@Porsche-Jeck and Intouch1: Got any guides on how to import and get one registered in Germany/Austria? Because getting ripped off as European customer is not acceptable anymore!

If anybody is interested in buying a U.S. specs cars let me know, I have a very close and reliable friend that is doing it. He actually sent 2 C63 AMG to Germany last week.

With the current tax rates here the cars are already quite expensive.

A Carrera will run you upwards of Euro 180000 to Euro 260000(turbo)
    X6 35d Euro 150000
    E92 M3 Euro 145000- Euro 170000
    S5 Euro 120000
    TTS Roadster Euro 80000- Euro 90000
    M5 Euro 180000
    M6 Euro 220000

with these prices I heard about imported US spec GL series Mercede, X6, Porsche Turbos... They are more or less %30-%40 percent cheaper than these prices. I guess if you import it yourself it will be even cheaper. Talk about price savings.

Two things that might cause problems are; the cars most probably will not be covered under warranty which is just 2 years for every car make and model in my country anyways. The speedometer will be in miles. That unit is most probably exchangeble but expansive and may rquire more than just the unit itself. There probably are some more minor things but the question is if the price savings is worth the risk thats been taken? IMO yes it is..:)

Would I do it? I have to say I am compelled with the idea.

Does anyone know of any companies that take care of most of the import work for you? I'd like to import a ferrari but I don't want to bother with the details.

I do know that if a Porsche shows up in Europe or outside the US within 6 months of delivery, the car dealer that ordered the Porsche is scrutinized heavily. If they are at fault or knew of the occurrence, Porsche pulls car allocation drastically and it hurts the dealer greatly.

If their sales start to drop they'll turn a blind eye to that policy!

Porsche Fanatic over on Teamspeed bought a slightly used 997S for like $55K here in LA and imported it back to Sweden. It can't be that hard to do.

If you buy a "used" Porsche from a "private" seller, there is no problem at all.
    The real problem is to buy a new one from an official Porsche dealer and then export it.
    The trick is to have a friend of yours buying a new Porsche at the dealer and then selling it to you a few weeks later.

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    If you buy a "used" Porsche from a "private" seller, there is no problem at all.
    The real problem is to buy a new one from an official Porsche dealer and then export it.
    The trick is to have a friend of yours buying a new Porsche at the dealer and then selling it to you a few weeks later.

Now that's a good way to beat the system.

So now... what differences are there between a US and a european 997 ?
    One would have to change the speedo, but what else ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777912 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441968 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262909 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85395 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880819 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816348 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM