Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GTS off-road capabilities question?

Hi guys, great forums.
    I'm about to put an order for a 09 GTS ,waiting list 8 months though , anyways I was wondering how is the off-road capabilities on the GTS, as we all know it's meant to be more of a road car than an off-roader, but how (bad) is it? where I live(Dubai) we have great beaches(where normal cars get stuck usually) and kick a$$ deserts and I'd love it if I can the car there, obviously I'm not talking about sand dunes bashing and stuff like that but reasonable off-road use.
    when Porsche says (off-road restricted) what are they referring to exactly, and what are the missing technologies which are aviaable for the rest of Cayennes and missing in the GTS? low gear? diff lock? etc.?
    Really appreciate inputs on this matter, and on any tips on buying the GTS.

Cheers,

Re: GTS off-road capabilities question?

Hi Sozon,

Reading your post I don't think the GTS is the best car to go for (pretty certain she isn't). Referring to many posts the GTS is Porsches answer to a raw power, stiff, tough, great roadholding, race car super SUV. She is not meant to go into the desert because of the following (IMO)
    1) Steel Springs, limited suspension travel, no ability to increase bottom clearance (unlike you get with air suspension).
    2) PASM not designed for off road use
    3) No offroad technology package, so steel protection plates for diff, gearbox or fuel tank. The GTS has protection plates but these are plastic and not very robust. Also the GTS has a sports design skirt what can easily be damaged
    4) I am not sure about this but I don't think the GTS will come with a low gear ratio box/reduction and locking diffs. Maybe our fellow colleagues can confirm.
    5) The GTS is equipped with the huge planet like brake discs and callipers hence the 21" alloyes from the CTT, OK for dirt and gravel driving but not good for desert driving.
    Ensofort

Basically the GTS is a race car 4x4, not designed for offroad so I would recommend to go for a similar priced CS

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,
    Thanks and great reply however bad news to me so u think it's a big no-no or just not advised, and would moderate off-roading cause serious damage to the car or its components?
    CS is out of the question, it's not as appealing to me as the CGTS or CTT (CS is a great car though).
    I'd consider getting CTT but then again CTTS is coming out end of this year (2 month less waiting list than the GTS!!) but in that case we r talking about a huge premium (CTTS UAE price is AED 486K = USD 133K while CGTS is AED 330K = USD 90K) oh what a dilemma
    I noticed you're located in Oman (hello neighbor ) how long do think the waiting list is CGTS and CTTS over there?
    sorry for the rant and thanks again.

Cheers

go for an air suspension version and the PDCC so the differential unlocks and i think you would be ok. porsche caution on the off road of the GTS, but that is more due to the lower height at all levels and the loss of hieght from the rocker panels as well.

snow and sand are a lot alike and i plan on using mine in the deep stuff.

Quote:
    sozon said:
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks and great reply however bad news to me so u think it's a big no-no or just not advised, and would moderate off-roading cause serious damage to the car or its components?
    CS is out of the question, it's not as appealing to me as the CGTS or CTT (CS is a great car though).
    I'd consider getting CTT but then again CTTS is coming out end of this year (2 month less waiting list than the GTS!!) but in that case we r talking about a huge premium (CTTS UAE price is AED 486K = USD 133K while CGTS is AED 330K = USD 90K) oh what a dilemma
    I noticed you're located in Oman (hello neighbor ) how long do think the waiting list is CGTS and CTTS over there?

Cheers

Hi Sozon,

I don't think offroading will damage the GTS as such but she is just not made for it. I agree with CPA4S that air suspension with PDCC will help her offroad capabilities but than I would go for the turbo. I spec'd the CS and came close to turbo money, I am sure if you spec the GTS with air and PDCC (both options) you won't be that far away from a base model CTT. The turbo(S) is approx 7k OMR on top of a fully spec'd turbo (17k$ more).

I am not sure what the waiting times are but I assume it is approx 5 months (I had to wait 5 months on my CTT08) all the GTS in the Sata showroom are sold coincidentially.

Indeed I am based in Oman, fantastic country and I + family really like the middle east. We are probably 4 times a year in your neck of the woods. We really like Dubai !

Best regards,

Mark

Quote:
    CPA4S said:
    go for an air suspension version and the PDCC so the differential unlocks and i think you would be ok. porsche caution on the off road of the GTS, but that is more due to the lower height at all levels and the loss of hieght from the rocker panels as well.

snow and sand are a lot alike and i plan on using mine in the deep stuff.

Thanks CPA4S, that is good news, i think i'm gonna go ahead with the GTS with PDCC and Air, I'm not planning on any major offroading afterall,

Cheers

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Quote:
    sozon said:
    Hi Mark,

Cheers

Hi Sozon,

I don't think offroading will damage the GTS as such but she is just not made for it. I agree with CPA4S that air suspension with PDCC will help her offroad capabilities but than I would go for the turbo. I spec'd the CS and came close to turbo money, I am sure if you spec the GTS with air and PDCC (both options) you won't be that far away from a base model CTT. The turbo(S) is approx 7k OMR on top of a fully spec'd turbo (17k$ more).

I am not sure what the waiting times are but I assume it is approx 5 months (I had to wait 5 months on my CTT08) all the GTS in the Sata showroom are sold coincidentially.

Indeed I am based in Oman, fantastic country and I + family really like the middle east. We are probably 4 times a year in your neck of the woods. We really like Dubai !

Best regards,

Mark

I don't know about Oman but over here a fully loaded GTS (Air+PDCC+...the whole nine yards) would cost 90KUSD, while CTT base is around 106K USD, and even though the CTT is a monster I doubt i'm gonna go drag racing with it so i think GTS is the way to go for me, great help guys appreciate it.

on another note Oman is indeed a beautiful country and to me when it comes to nature i prefer Oman over Dubai, we are more like an industrial city but great still. take care

Hi Sozon,

I am sure you will love the GTS ! and I think you are making the right choice with Air + PDCC.

Btw, just dropped my CTT08 for her first 3000km service at our Porsche Sata Dealer. They have a GTS in Nordic Gold, Tiptronic and air (no PDCC) in the showroom without a sign SOLD for 42500 OMR, thought to let you know. Let me know if you want more info about it.

Best regards,

Mark
    PS, I would agree with you comment about Oman however Dubai is great for shopping !!!

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Sozon,

I am sure you will love the GTS ! and I think you are making the right choice with Air + PDCC.

Btw, just dropped my CTT08 for her first 3000km service at our Porsche Sata Dealer. They have a GTS in Nordic Gold, Tiptronic and air (no PDCC) in the showroom without a sign SOLD for 42500 OMR, thought to let you know. Let me know if you want more info about it.

Best regards,

Mark
    PS, I would agree with you comment about Oman however Dubai is great for shopping !!!

Hi Mark,
    wow 42,500 seems way expensive (405K AED), I spec'd up a GTS in the dealership last week for 330K give or take and that includes PDCC is Oman more expensive when it comes to cars? how much did u pay for your CTT if u don't mind me asking?
    By the way how much does it cost to service ur car? the sales guy from the dealership told me it costs 1500AED every 10K and 3000AED for 30K, 60K and 90K.
    P.S Dubai is indeed a great place to shop (shopping heaven if u will ).

Regards,

Quote:
    sozon said:
    Quote:

Hi Mark,
    wow 42,500 seems way expensive (405K AED), I spec'd up a GTS in the dealership last week for 330K give or take and that includes PDCC is Oman more expensive when it comes to cars? how much did u pay for your CTT if u don't mind me asking?
    By the way how much does it cost to service ur car? the sales guy from the dealership told me it costs 1500AED every 10K and 3000AED for 30K, 60K and 90K.
    Regards,

Hi Sozon,

Indeed Oman is more expensive but I wasn't aware of that much. Although I don't like bragging about what I paid for my CTT08 but as I spec'd her to the hill I paid over 50k OMR (even my steering wheel column is leather, don't ask me why )

Sata LLC is an excellent dealer and are very helpful. The first 3000km services is free as the engineers basically check the car for faults (non in my case apart from a squeek/rattle from the passengers dash). I am not sure about the other services costs but I was advised approx 80 OMR each (per 10K)

Speak later,

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Quote:
    sozon said:
    Quote:

Hi Mark,
    Regards,

Hi Sozon,

Indeed Oman is more expensive but I wasn't aware of that much. Although I don't like bragging about what I paid for my CTT08 but as I spec'd her to the hill I paid over 50k OMR (even my steering wheel column is leather, don't ask me why )

Sata LLC is an excellent dealer and are very helpful. The first 3000km services is free as the engineers basically check the car for faults (non in my case apart from a squeek/rattle from the passengers dash). I am not sure about the other services costs but I was advised approx 80 OMR each (per 10K)

Speak later,

Cheers,

Mark

50K OMR is a big amount of money but I'm 110% sure it's worth it
    Speaking of leather column, I'm thinking of getting full CF interior, what do u think? i know its only cosmetic and depends on each person, but it does cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers,

Hi Sozon,

Not sure what you mean by CF (maybe obvious but...) I would suggest to go for the Alcantara + leather interior. It's beautiful, practical especially in our climate and the seats are more confortable.

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Sozon,

Not sure what you mean by CF (maybe obvious but...) I would suggest to go for the Alcantara + leather interior. It's beautiful, practical especially in our climate and the seats are more confortable.

I'm definitely getting the leather+alcantara (it's standard anyway) but what i meant is Cf (carbon fiber) on the dash\steering\console\ etc ..

Cheers,

Quote:
    sozon said:
    Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Sozon,

I'm definitely getting the leather+alcantara (it's standard anyway) but what i meant is Cf (carbon fiber) on the dash\steering\console\ etc ..

Cheers,

Hi Sozon,

CF is very nice and I concidered as well but I didn't want to go for black interior as I think this is a must with CF. Have a look on the different websites I am sure you will find examples.

Cheers,

Mark

i agree with Mark - larger pieces of CF pretty much need the black.

i have some smaller custom pieces from MaCarbon on my sand turbo and they are nice accents.

Quote:
    CPA4S said:
    i agree with Mark - larger pieces of CF pretty much need the black.

i have some smaller custom pieces from MaCarbon on my sand turbo and they are nice accents.

I'm for sure getting black on black, I didn't really like the other available combinations for the GTS (I'd love if I can get the black\chestnut.. oh well) plus my current car is sand.
    CPA4S, I'd really appreciate more info and if possible photos of ur CF interior.

Cheers,

Hi Sozon,

I am just back from the Porsche dealer and I noticed that the GTS in the showroom had the low ratio gear box and locking diffs on it, thought to let you know. She had air and tiptronic no PDCC though.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Sozon,

I am just back from the Porsche dealer and I noticed that the GTS in the showroom had the low ratio gear box and locking diffs on it, thought to let you know. She had air and tiptronic no PDCC though.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,
    same here I was at Porsche earlier and saw a couple of them with the diff lock, I have a 4PM test drive tomorrow, and hopefully finishing my order tomorrow, wish me luck guys (so excited
    any test drive tips are welcome.
    off topic: we took a test drive of a Carrera S for my mate, and that car really moves, I was impressed. order was placed .

Cheeeeers.

http://www.macarbon.com/

i have the instrument surround and the mirror triangles. i will likely also get the PCM surround.

i am putting CF grab and door handles when i flip to the GTS.

as the final indulgence , my dealer agreed to order the carbon fibre roof handles on their next black Cayenne and swap out the stock black roof handles. expensive option but will be sooooo cool imo.

Quote:
    CPA4S said:
    http://www.macarbon.com/

i have the instrument surround and the mirror triangles. i will likely also get the PCM surround.

i am putting CF grab and door handles when i flip to the GTS.

as the final indulgence , my dealer agreed to order the carbon fibre roof handles on their next black Cayenne and swap out the stock black roof handles. expensive option but will be sooooo cool imo.

They do look good but how do they compare to the OEM Porsche's in terms of looks (in real life) and quality? r they easy to install?
    I'm putting an order tomorrow (hopefully) and I'm not quite sure, those damn things cost a lot of money.

Hi Sozon,

Test drives are fun and will give you a good flavor about the car however I don't think the test drive will be make or break as I am sure you have made your mind up already (smile!!!) Have fun and please take some pictures of the test drive (easy to upload on her).

I have loaded her up to the hill as in my opinion you only live once !!! Although the GTS is spec'd nicely the odd personalization will give you an even bigger smile on your face once taken delivery !!!

My recommendation is to take it easy as you won't learn the car in 1 or 2 hrs, inhale and enjoy !!! Make the most of it as your 5 months delivery will be tough (smile !!!!) mine was.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    Hi Sozon,

Test drives are fun and will give you a good flavor about the car however I don't think the test drive will be make or break as I am sure you have made your mind up already (smile!!!) Have fun and please take some pictures of the test drive (easy to upload on her).

I have loaded her up to the hill as in my opinion you only live once !!! Although the GTS is spec'd nicely the odd personalization will give you an even bigger smile on your face once taken delivery !!!

My recommendation is to take it easy as you won't learn the car in 1 or 2 hrs, inhale and enjoy !!! Make the most of it as your 5 months delivery will be tough (smile !!!!) mine was.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll post pics (if i remember to take any ).

Cheeeers.

For driving on sand low ratio isn't needed (quite the opposite) , clearance isn't especially needed, suspension travel isn't much of an issue. The Taliban manage to give US Humnvees the runaround with 40 year old Toyota pickups and ancient Datsun saloons.

I reckon that the only thing that will matter for sand driving will be the wheel / tyre combo, and the GTS has huge brake disks and therefore lousy wheels and tyres for off-road driving. Too tall and wide, too skinny on the profile, too high pressure.

A Turbo is probably the better vehicle - with standard 18" wheels of course.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777385 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441758 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260988 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85263 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5590 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880670 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816033 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM