Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Any joy in owning a sports car any more?

Quote:
    ResB said:
    I think if you enjoy driving your sports car what difference does it make! I take your point about sports cars are made to be driven however, if your not at the track, I guess you never drive yours then? Nick, just out of curiosity and general interest how often do you take your F430 to the track?

I have written before that I have not taken my car to the track. There are several reasons for not doing so. First, I did not buy the car for the track. I bought it for fun driving on public streets and highways. Unfortunately, that is becoming increasingly diffcult to do because of traffic and over zealous monitoring of speed areas.

Even if I wanted to track my car most tracks will not allow a convertible unless it is equipped with special roll bars. I have no intention of modifying my car to accommodate a few days at a track.

Finally, I have done considerable tracking in my past and at this point I do not find it as stimulating as it once was.

Nick, I think Carlos mentioned everyone at their own pace, which means the fast folks up front and the put-put crew at the back.

Some of my most exhilirating times in my car have been in groups of like minded exotic owners on mostly deserted roads. You just have to plan a safe route and time and be prepared.

Still remember this annual ride where i used to live. 35 miles of empty 3 lane hiway at considerable speed.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Finally, I have done considerable tracking in my past and at this point I do not find it as stimulating as it once was.

You already have a Mini, why don't you take that out on the roads you like? It's a car you can have a lot of fun with while driving slow. The new GTI would be another idea.

Sell the Ferrari and get a private pilot license and put that money into part ownership of a Mooney Bravo. You can pull some real G's in that and not have to worry (well, worry less) about hitting a tree.

- I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

(Unknown)

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:
    I think if you enjoy driving your sports car what difference does it make! I take your point about sports cars are made to be driven however, if your not at the track, I guess you never drive yours then? Nick, just out of curiosity and general interest how often do you take your F430 to the track?

I have written before that I have not taken my car to the track. There are several reasons for not doing so. First, I did not buy the car for the track. I bought it for fun driving on public streets and highways. Unfortunately, that is becoming increasingly diffcult to do because of traffic and over zealous monitoring of speed areas.

Even if I wanted to track my car most tracks will not allow a convertible unless it is equipped with special roll bars. I have no intention of modifying my car to accommodate a few days at a track.

Sorry Nick, do I sense a little aggression in your reply. My comments weren't supposed to agitate you.

Unfortunately, I don't read every post you participate in and cannot recall seeing one to be honest where you mention you have not tracked your car. My apologies if you're repeating yourself.

I only asked you if you'd been to the track in your car, you don't have to justify to me why you bought it. I certainly wouldn't track Pounds160k+ car either unless I had more money than sense of course. However, I fear that with the decreasing fun you're having with the car on open roads and the like and the fact you don't frequent the track, it sounds like you're not enjoying the car as much as you should, unless that is you just bought it pose at the local coffee bar, which kind of questions whether your an enthusiast or not doesn't it

Therefore in conclusion your answer to the OP should be - No, there is no point in owning one any longer.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Driving in a long procession, as least to me, is tedious and boring. I can make the same drive alone and certainly enjoy myself much more (assuming there was a Starbucks at the end). Sport cars are meant to be driven and the only place for them is the track.

That's what I like about the Porsche Club GB drives for the 997 brigade - the only time we aren't 'spirited driving' is when we hit traffic on the major roads. That's probably only 10% of the time though with a well planned route.

The rest of the time you have a convoy of about 8 997's hammering it down empty country roads with lots of visibility. All nice and safe but because the back roads in this country have so many twists and turns you really start to find your limits (not necessarily the cars limits which I have found to be well above my own).

I can't see a convoy of other supercar types doing that. Much less driving and much more posing I'm sure!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos although the camaraderie was fun would it been any different if the event was for Prius owners?

Driving in a long procession, as least to me, is tedious and boring.

Prius WTF? I think I wrote TWICE "each at their own pace" Don't know what you are used to but it was not a long slow procession; mountain roads, no traffic, sportcars, etc get my drift?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Sport cars are meant to be driven and the only place for them is the track.

These events are nothing more than an excuse to drive the car. In my view, a waste of gas.

Speak for yourself Nick and don't lecture to others. When was the last time you were at the track? I was last wednesday. And that doesn't exclude friendly spirited back road driving amongst fellow enthusiasts every now and then, you should give it a try. I have almost 65000km on my 997S and every mile worth every cent in gas, a sad world it would be for me if all I could do is drive to starbucks and have your pesimism regarding sportcars

I was following a Lotus Elise today but even in these cars you are nowhere near the limit at legal speeds on countryroads. We took some sweeping bends through the woods but I refrain from passing bicyclists at considerable speed differences nowadays. Most people just are not prepared to see a sportscar driven fast on the open road.

So I agree, unless you have some beautiful and rather deserted roads to enjoy your car, one is better of taking it easy or taking the car onto the track. That said, I seriously consider getting a vintage car for the weekend fun by now. Or maybe not? Still undecided...

One has to decide what joy a sportscar brings to him. If improving your driving skills is your goal, start off with karting and/or tuition on performance cars. If you want to impress the chicks, the sportscar might still be the way to go...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Sport cars are meant to be driven and the only place for them is the track.

These events are nothing more than an excuse to drive the car. In my view, a waste of gas.

Speak for yourself Nick and don't lecture to others. When was the last time you were at the track? I was last wednesday.

I don't think Nick remembers which weekday he attended his last track event. Pretty hard if it has been years ago.

Just to add to the above, my last trip to the Ring was in a procession of Fezza's and Porsche's and it was one of the best experiences ever. Can't wait to do it again.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos although the camaraderie was fun would it been any different if the event was for Prius owners?

Driving in a long procession, as least to me, is tedious and boring. I can make the same drive alone and certainly enjoy myself much more (assuming there was a Starbucks at the end). Sport cars are meant to be driven and the only place for them is the track.

Nick, the tone of your posts seems to getting more desperate as time goes on.

I guess mid-life crisis hits some guys harder than it does others.

No, I owe you an apology. I reread my post and it was a little terse and it was not meant to be. I thought you asked an appropriate question and I was responding. Some days just do not go well and today is one of them.

Carlos, I was not lecturing you. I was stating my opinion. Nothing more. Who would dare to lecture you?

Tell me how is the Porsche working out on the highways with the truckers slowing things down. Be careful, they can be a hostile bunch.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Here comes the summer. Ideal time to enjoy top-down motoring in the beautiful Dorset countryside.

Ha! Except if it wasn't full of tourists with Caravans,
    And, joy of joys, Dorset police have just bought FOUR new mobile speed guns.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7440620.stm

So watch out round here!

And with the increasing fuel costs... What's the point?

I continue to enjoy driving my sports car, thank you!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    No, I owe you an apology. I reread my post and it was a little terse and it was not meant to be. I thought you asked an appropriate question and I was responding. Some days just do not go well and today is one of them.

Carlos, I was not lecturing you. I was stating my opinion. Nothing more. Who would dare to lecture you?

Tell me how is the Porsche working out on the highways with the truckers slowing things down. Be careful, they can be a hostile bunch.

Everybody has bad days and sometimes reflects on my tone too as much as I try to avoid it. Anyway, truckers in my area are not too bad, the only problem you have to watch for is them jumping into the left lane to overtake another truck and not seeing you approach at higher speeds. But as long as you keep than in mind as you pass them and drive defensively its no problem, and generally they don't cut you off, they keep to the right lane when not overtaking. The truckers that come up from Portugal are a bit more dangerous though.
    But all in all the traffic density of the highways here in my area is light so that makes all the difference in the world.

Carlos, by "truckers slowing things down", I think Nick may have been referring to the Spanish truckers protests over high fuel prices

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Carlos, by "truckers slowing things down", I think Nick may have been referring to the Spanish truckers protests over high fuel prices

oops! thanks Easy, I missed that

Actually they are speeding things up because the highways in my area are completely free from slower moving trucks these days the only problem is in the entrace/exit to mayor cities were they are deliberattely slowing traffic. Just hope gas stations don't run out of gas supply

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777588 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441850 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262832 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85318 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5611 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816137 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM