Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

what to do - RS headache... frustating!!

Hi everyone, looking for advice.
    I just bought a pre-owned GT3 RS with just about 2,000 miles on it, as a certified car from a Porsche dealer.

Paid close to $200,000.

I bought it on Thursday and didn't get to drive it much. Yesterday, I tried playing with the stereo, and when I tried the fader, found out there are no rear speakers on the car...

I called the dealer, who checked and tells me that the RS with the normal (ie non premium stereo) has NO speakers in the back!!

I had the basic stereo on my 997 S and there was speakers in the back. Does anyone have an RS and no upgraded stereo... cna u tell me if there are speakers on the side behind the seats? (the slots are there, but they are empty)

HELP! :-(

Re: what to do - RS headache... frustating!!

Did they forget the sunroof also?

Serioulsy, why did you buy an RS, for $200k let alone...

Dude get real. What do you need rear speakers for in a GT3 RS???
    For 200K you would think there would be at least 4 speakers...but that's not what's the car's about.
    Just drive it.

beside being some sort of cynical reply, i don't understand ur replie nor see it's value

this is obviously the comments of people who don't drive an RS but rather think they know what RS drivers should or shouldn't do...

if u really have to know, I use this car as a daily driver, so the stereo does matter. And in the 2 hours each way to the race track, I like to listen to music... how weird huh?

Any RS owner with the same experience?

You will not get empathy here. People on this forum (myself included) consider the GT3 RS a pure 911, where doodads and accessories should not be installed. IOW, one buys a GT3 RS for the pure machine itself, not as a luxury cruiser or a show-off boulevardier. Many will buy GT3 RSs and will strip them further to the bare shell.

I understand your concern and your disapointment but I really think you can learn to drive without music in your RS

I personaly didn't know this very basic stereo exsited on the GT3 (I am not even sure it exists here in Europe without the basic 997 S stereo)

I have a 997 turbo in which I enjoy listening to music but I also drive a Boxster S in which I NEVER listen to music, because the engine noise is just so beautiful !

Hope you enjoy your car anyway ! Good luck

Guys, you're very rude with adam s IMHO.

I'd want speakers too in a 997RS. I'd even want a sat nav. And airconditionning too.

It's race car for the road too, not just for the track.

@adam, I can't help you with the rear speakers. I don't own one and have no idea what's std or not.

Ask your dealer (or some other dealer) to send you per email the complete order list for a 2007 or 2008 RS, wich ever you bought. You'll find the answer.

Good luck, and enjoy your car in good health.

Adias, believe me the car is bare.. the ONLY option on it is the PCCBs.. and I have been tracking my cars for the last 7 years... so I know all about the feeling.. I consider myself a purist as well, but having 2 rear speakers that weigh 1 pound put together that can keep me awake on my way back from the track after 12 hours of hardcore driving is a good thing.. belive me.

You paid how much and did not do your homework??

It's a RS

What are you expecting.... luxury

No empathy from me

Less is More.

if ur car doesnt have the option "sound package plus" there are no speakers in the back. In general the sound package option of the GT3 can not be compared to the standard carrera models. there is also no BOSE available for the GT3...

i hope the ones of you who couldnt imagine to bare with the weight of the additional speakers also wouldnt choose xenon lights and rip out the standard AC unit...

Quote:
    adam s said:
    Adias, believe me the car is bare.. the ONLY option on it is the PCCBs.. and I have been tracking my cars for the last 7 years... so I know all about the feeling.. I consider myself a purist as well, but having 2 rear speakers that weigh 1 pound put together that can keep me awake on my way back from the track after 12 hours of hardcore driving is a good thing.. belive me.

You should be able to mount speakers in the rear, assuming the wiring is there.

There are no speakers in the back of an RS.

I believe that you are getting cynical responses because it appears that you may have more money than sense when it comes to Porsches. You have a GT3RS! Enjoy the car for its' intended purpose. I don't think I'd ever turn on the radio if I owned one. The fact that you paid $200k and didn't look into what you were buying can be disturbing to some. For MSRP, the RS is the car to have. For $200k, I'd rather have a GT2, F-car or Lambo. You should take some responsibility for your hasty purchase. It's too bad that people actually pay these ridiculous prices because the rest of us can't or won't pay them. I don't mean to insult you, it's just the way I feel. Enjoy you car though!

Guy's let owners buy their car's for whatever reason, and don't try to tell them what to do with the specific models..

That being said, it sounds like you adam s should have gone for a carrera s with aero kit and all the track options to have the best of both luxory and looks while also enjoying some weekends at the track...

The RS though has very few options which is why it's an RS.

Ur porsche dealer will install them for a liver

Wow, tough crowd!

I'm sure you can get something retrofitted into your car. If you decide to do that, tell the installer not to do anything invasive (cutting or drilling) or you may have a harder time selling the car later. Or you could buy a Cayenne and a trailer to tow the car to the track in more comfort.

Call Champion in Pompano Fl. They would know whats goin on...

No rear speakers on the RS, period, on any version. The stereo in my RS is one of the worst I have ever heard; but then again, with engine sounds like this, who needs a stinking stereo. Don't confuse things with the regular GT3 -- with the GT3 a premium sound package option was available.

Adam's point is valid - if you are stuck in traffic or waiting stationary in the car (with the engine off) then a radio can make things more bearable. Plus if you love music, then sometimes you want to blast a good song whilst you're driving - even if you can barely hear it over the Gt3's exhaust note!

You could always fit some aftermarket speakers, in such a way that they are easily removeable at resale point.

go for an after market alternative, but I'm sure it will cost you. Over here I've seen as a few Rs's with Sat Nav and BOSE so there is nothing strange about having good music in your car

Wow! Tough crowd. If you cant find people here that can understand people's decision to buy a high end sports car, even paying over sticker for a car of their dreams where can you go. The guy just wanted to know whether the car came w/ speakers in the back, even if he knew all about the car it's something that could escape his knowledge. And seeing as people here say it's totally not important to have them in a RS then an even better reason for him not knowing whether they should be there.

Congrats on your purchase. Post some pics when you can.

In the GT3 and RS when you drive it, the vibrations from the engine and the engine sound kill off half of the acoustic vibrations immediately, there is no point in listening to the radio under way. It simply does not make sense.

I have sound audio plus in my car (GT3), but only to listen to music when stopped for coffee at gas stations. As soon as I turn the key, I turn off the radio because you couldn't hear anything anyway.

Also, it wouldn't be very practical to have speakers in the back and not being able to get to them because of the cage behind your seats.

in USA there is no cage behind the seats, even in the RS..
    i dont fully agree..Yes, the GT3 is loud and pure but u def do hear the radio. maybe not on the track but u do hear it in normal traffic. i admit, you have to put the volume up a bit but thats exactly why i went for the sound package.
    9 out of 10 times i prefer to listen to the amazing sound of the GT3 but when i want to listen to some music, as for instance on the way back from a track, i do want to enjoy it... and of course a nav so that u actually find our way to the tracks...

Not tough crowd, the tone of his post implied for $200k there should be rear speakers in the RS...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Not tough crowd, the tone of his post implied for $200k there should be rear speakers in the RS...

For $200K there should be a little guy with a piano (lightweight plastic keyboard?) in the back of the car.

Well, it seems obvious that your car does not come with rear speakers.... So it's off to the stereo shop...

BTW, I like listening to music when I'm travelling, so I can relate, REGARDLESS of what car I'm driving... Ignore all that "just listen to the sweet sound of the engine" romantic dribble...

Yes, it's a sweet sound... But that's beside the point, how many hours in a row are you really going to jerk-off to your car's exhaust note? Purists can be a strange-yet-amusing crowd...

Anyhow, agreed, it's nice to have an at-least-audible stereo for those times that a little music would "hit the spot". And it doesn't have to be a flippin audiophile system to make it "worth listening to", again, annoying neurotic purists, just ignore them...

Hell, I'm SURPRISED that they even give you the head-unit and two speakers!!! I've got 1993 and 1995 "R-Model" Cobra Mustangs, and they don't give you ANYTHING for audio... No head-unit, no speakers, no power locks, no power windows, no air conditioning, no rear seat...

I woulda thought the RS would be stripped to the bone, but then again, you've got a large segment of paying customers who want to street them and will pay for the frills, so they get it done. As I'm not a purist, I say whatever, it's a free market, and they're meeting the demand....

Give the guy a break, even a RS is designed to be driven on the road you know! NOT just the track. Let's face it, a bit of music every now and then doesn't mean you are not a purist. Adam could say you guys are NOT purists because you have "regular" Porsches couldn't he?

Adam, I am sure you can you can retrofit speakers and a decent system.
    You should have done a wee bit more research.

PS There probably isn't a spare tyre or back seats for your $200K - just kidding I know you know that!

Very very very easy fix: after-market speakers and amp. The owner of a high-end Los Angeles audio shop showed up at our Porsche club meeting last year and demo'ed his own 997 C4S's after-market stereo. His system blew my 997's Bose out of the water, no question about it: Clean, tight, EXTREMELY powerful bass (none of the annoying thump thump thump ghetto-blaster type bass), smooth mid and high. I am a 20 year over-the-top audiophile veteran so I'd think it's safe for you to trust me on this evaluation. If you are serious about correcting this problem, email/PM me and I'll ask the club member who knows him for contact info. (I have no affiliation or personal experience other than that incredible demo.)

Quote:
    adam s said:
    Hi everyone, looking for advice.
    I just bought a pre-owned GT3 RS with just about 2,000 miles on it, as a certified car from a Porsche dealer.

Paid close to $200,000.

I bought it on Thursday and didn't get to drive it much. Yesterday, I tried playing with the stereo, and when I tried the fader, found out there are no rear speakers on the car...

I called the dealer, who checked and tells me that the RS with the normal (ie non premium stereo) has NO speakers in the back!!

I had the basic stereo on my 997 S and there was speakers in the back. Does anyone have an RS and no upgraded stereo... cna u tell me if there are speakers on the side behind the seats? (the slots are there, but they are empty)

HELP! :-(

My RS has no rear speakers and I don't recall a stereo upgrade even being on the order form.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM