Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official! - More images added

Am I the only one who doesn't like the face lift?
    I think the front fascia is a step backwards it looks like a Boxster to me.

I can't remember who said this, I think it was MMD. He said he thought the car looked more feminine and I have to agree, it does.

I received a launch brochure for the facelifted cars in the post this morning. Has anyone else received it? My OPC have been pushing me to having a car but I'm going to skip it I think. The new centre console looks good in black but I'm not a fan of either new wheel designs or the new PDK steering wheel. Like others have said the thumb controls Porsche insist on using are nowhere near as intuitive to use as paddles and the painted silver section of the wheel looks pretty poor in the brochure IMHO. There is also a rather naff PDK script at the base of the gear shifter. I'm afraid I don't have a scanner so can't post it.

I'M ABSOLUTELY SOLD !!!!!!

LOVE EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE STEERING WHEEL AND THOSE "PADDLES" !!!!....

Rear lights look so much better than in the mk1, those leds really give the rear a very fresh touch and very aston martinish

Oh man, we're definately ordering one !!!!

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Well, there always has to be one.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

Well, there always has to be one.

this rear carrera pic, looks amazing !!!!!!!

Have you guys seen the pdk gear-slector???? , wow

Does anyone have specifications of the new powerkit (X51)?

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I received a launch brochure for the facelifted cars in the post this morning. Has anyone else received it? My OPC have been pushing me to having a car but I'm going to skip it I think. The new centre console looks good in black but I'm not a fan of either new wheel designs or the new PDK steering wheel. Like others have said the thumb controls Porsche insist on using are nowhere near as intuitive to use as paddles and the painted silver section of the wheel looks pretty poor in the brochure IMHO. There is also a rather naff PDK script at the base of the gear shifter. I'm afraid I don't have a scanner so can't post it.

I got it too. There is a microsite listed at the back of it:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911/default.aspx

(I think the UK one is broken though - USA one works ok)

If I have time later I will post some scans of the brochure.

UK one is working!
    I've just used it.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    I can't remember who said this, I think it was MMD. He said he thought the car looked more feminine and I have to agree, it does.

Yup. Sad to have observed this. I don't want to drive around in a macho mobile, so I don't mind that the Carrera already started out graceful and beautiful car, what they did with FL didn't go in the right (or neutral) direction. Kinda seems tipped over the "not-man-enough" edge for me. BUT BUT BUT we gotta see these FL cars in person to be sure.

I'm shocked that the paddles are now toggle switches: probably that's good for feminine-ization because paddles are notorious for breaking fingernails.

Good that the toggle switches keep it looking like a Tiptronic; women love 'em.

Seriously: biiiiiiiig mistake, I can't imagine no paddles, will it be hard to "flick" gears around with restrictions of thumb useage? I flick the frick out of my M3 paddles! Can't imagine pressing buttons instead!

WTF is Porsche _thinking?_

Here's a rear end comp.

Amazing how much better the facelift looks in my opinion, amazing how such as small change in the taillights can have such a big impact!

I want to know the difference between the 2 sport buttons!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    ResB said:

Yup. Sad to have observed this. I don't want to drive around in a macho mobile, so I don't mind that the Carrera already started out graceful and beautiful car, what they did with FL didn't go in the right (or neutral) direction. Kinda seems tipped over the "not-man-enough" edge for me. BUT BUT BUT we gotta see these FL cars in person to be sure.

I'm shocked that the paddles are now toggle switches: probably that's good for feminine-ization because paddles are notorious for breaking fingernails.

Good that the toggle switches keep it looking like a Tiptronic; women love 'em.

Seriously: biiiiiiiig mistake, I can't imagine no paddles, will it be hard to "flick" gears around with restrictions of thumb useage? I flick the frick out of my M3 paddles! Can't imagine pressing buttons instead!

WTF is Porsche _thinking?_

paddles are notorious for breaking fingernails.

Real men drive manuals (stick for Americans). So whether paddles or buttons makes no difference because no macho man would want either.
    On a more serious note I think most people here (and everywhere for that matter) like to find faults and deficiencies in things. That's life some like it some do not.

NOTE: Click on 'attachment' to see full scan image on my previous post

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    I want to know the difference between the 2 sport buttons!

The sport plus button activates the PDK launch control and "racing gearshift mode".

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    Amazing how much better the facelift looks in my opinion, amazing how such as small change in the taillights can have such a big impact!

I'm usually the first one to criticize Porsche design but to be honest this 997 facelift looks much better and it flows much better with the curves.

IMO Porsche has scored big with this new design, I really like it. I knew I would come back to Porsche again it was just a matter of time .

i really hope the coin slot is not there for cars without the phone option and looking at the comparison of the 3 cars arses I think the FL definately looks better, although not by much....

Quote:
    MMD said:
    paddles are notorious for breaking fingernails.

Never happened to me .

New wheel looks "fabulous."

But something needed to be done. But why all the flare and fluting? Would be nice if bottom was _flat_.

Would look better if ALL black. No brushed nickle(?)-color.

BTW, I guess triangular multifunction is gone.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    New wheel looks "fabulous."

But something needed to be done. But why all the flare and fluting? Would be nice if bottom was _flat_.

Would look better if ALL black. No brushed nickle(?)-color.

BTW, I guess triangular multifunction is gone.

I was going to say that the only thing I wish my MY07 C2S had out of this was the touch screen PCM, but now I want the wheel too.

Quote:
    Real men drive manuals (stick for Americans).

Then real men might be slower. All depends upon what you use your Porsche for. If you want to be seen "manly" shifting your car, get the manual. If you want to get around corners faster (on the road or on the track), get PDK.

Manual = typewriter

PDK = Apple Mac

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:

Then real men might be slower. All depends upon what you use your Porsche for. If you want to be seen "manly" shifting your car, get the manual. If you want to get around corners faster (on the road or on the track), get PDK.

Manual = typewriter

PDK = Apple Mac

I am sorry, but the same could be said about existing Tiptronic. PDK is just a faster/smoother version.

You would still miss out on driver involvement and that great sound when you blip the throttle on change-down (with a sports exhaust). That's a lot to sacrifice in my book for some buttons and 0.2s faster acceleration.

I got bored with DSG boxes in Audi's and VW's pretty quickly after getting behind the wheel.

So it really depends what you want.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    palenimbus said:

I'm usually the first one to criticize Porsche design but to be honest this 997 facelift looks much better and it flows much better with the curves.

IMO Porsche has scored big with this new design, I really like it. I knew I would come back to Porsche again it was just a matter of time .

so do you intend to put the R8 up for sale back seats in the FL could be useful for the kids

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    Quote:

Manual = typewriter

PDK = Apple Mac

Kicking and sticking... there is no substitute.

I like to *drive* my 911, whilst I have an automatic in my commuter car.

I fall on the side of not impressed with the styling changes, the droopy drawer taillights don't do it for me. I guess a facelift is just that, a facelift, and sometimes doesn't always hit the mark when changing the pure lines of the old face. The big news is an increase in performance, but I must admit, I was expecting larger gains in horsepower. A 6% increase in power will hardly be noticeable. And as for gains in fuel economy, it is a plus but hardly the reason many of us buy a Porsche, if it were we should all buy a Prius or a Tesla and call it a day. In short, if I owned a 997, this would not be enough for me to want to changeover (actually the '05 to -'08 997 looks better in my opinion). As for PDK, wow what a disappointment, hopefully Porsche will come out with real paddles in the 998 in a few years. If ordering a facelift, I would personally go with the manual, as this new iteration of a PDK set-up will just seem odd if updated or replaced in a few years.
    vincesf

I bet you the facelift 997 Carreras won't 'feel' faster than the originals. You are going from 400Nm to 420Nm torque.

I put a powerkit on my Turbo and it went from 620Nm to 800Nm. THEN I could 'feel' the power change!!

My old 997 C2S Cab was disappointingly slow when I put my foot down - the new one won't be any better

20Nm is nothing, especially as the car has actually put on weight

Quote:
    So it really depends what you want.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Quote:
    PDK is just a faster/smoother version

Probably not just that. Although we don't know for sure, there is probably computerized rev-matching happening as well. I know there will be a lot of "manly" guys who will insist that their brain and leg/right arm are smarter & faster than Porsche's engineers when it comes to engaging the clutch & moving the gearstick.

To them, I say "old-school".

Also, the photos imply that the buttons stick up above the wheel spokes. If there is no fixed housing behind the top of the button, then I think these are paddles. They are rocker-switches. You certainly have to push on the top of the button to Upshift (the "+" section of the button). But to Downshift I think you can either push the bottom part of the button (the "-" section of the button) or you can PULL on the top section of the button with your fingers from behind.

In all, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I'm confident it is designed right, it will be quicker. Having driven Ferrari's and Maserati's F1 gearboxes on the track and on spirited back roads, the concept of a computerized, rev-matching electro-manu-matic gearbox is an awesome sporting advantage that makes a 6-speed kind of an old-school 90's thing.

Anyone know if they changed the number of cupholders? Did they make them any bigger so they can hold a Big Gulp?

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    the concept of a computerized, rev-matching electro-manu-matic gearbox is an awesome sporting advantage that makes a 6-speed kind of an old-school 90's thing.

One day these things will go around the track by themselves. Hopefully by then the cup holder will fit your Big Gulp because that will be the extent of 'driver involvement'.

Sure the F1-style gear boxes are marginally faster in competition and if that's what you're looking for, great. It takes some of the fun out driving for me though... it's got nothing to do with "manliness". I didn't hear anyone actually say "Automatics are for chicks".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440453 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84857 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5445 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814347 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM