Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Video of GT-R's 7:29 lap of 'Ring

Looking at the video it becomes obvious how fast the car accelerates, if one considers the fact that Japanese "supercars, if one'd call the R34 like that, have regularly provided higher powerfigures than the claimed politically correct 280 hp, I'd be less surprised if the new GT-R puts out more than the claimed 480 hp.

However I am surprised that they dropped the hp limit anyhow, I suppose the speedlimiter comes into play here?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Seriously, your comments only confirm how clueless manual drivers are regarding the use of paddles. It is an art in performance driving.

sure sure and the playstation is just like the real thing!

"flipping" "a" "paddle" up or down vs throttle-off->cluth->helltoe-matchrev->engage gear->decluth->squezze throttle... nick, why do you think paddle shift allows for faster lap times especially in the more novice drivers? because its so easy it takes less concentration away from the driver and allows the driver to focus more cognitive resources to the other aspects of driving like steering and braking.

I love to see al the excuses you make up in your mind in order for things to fit how you would like things to be, HvS can't drive because I know so, paddles are so dificult its above a guy who can lap the CGT in 7:32 and who is tired of driving paddle shifts, the ring is worthless please don't look at lap times, bang-for-the-buck is great except with Ferrari then its the other way around, etc. what next? don't dissapoint me now

Carlos let me help you out here. Obviously, new car technology eludes you because you have been driving Porsche's for a long time.

Paddles help the amateur because most are not very good with manual, even though they believe otherwise. As you stated, with paddles they can devote their attention to track conditions and do better times. However, they never get near maximum performance of the car.

The problem is no the same for professional drivers. They are good at manual shifting but nevertheless a tad slower than a F1 type drive train. Recently, car manufacturers who have a history of F1 trannies have begun to coordinate the technology with not only the suspension, but throttle and braking. Their cars are designed for maximum performance through use of a F1 drive train and not manual.

Thus, it must driven with a sensitivity to the car as much as to the road. It take practice and regular use to get in tune with the car to maximize its performance. It is a learning experience using the paddles to keep the RPM's at optimal range while coordinating with the suspension/braking in keeping the car in balance. Only then can a professional driver maximize its performance. In a word, it is not done just by making a few runs around the Ring.

Capice?

What a load.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Carlos let me help you out here. Obviously, new car technology eludes you because you have been driving Porsche's for a long time.

Paddles help the amateur because most are not very good with manual, even though they believe otherwise. As you stated, with paddles they can devote their attention to track conditions and do better times. However, they never get near maximum performance of the car.

The problem is no the same for professional drivers. They are good at manual shifting but nevertheless a tad slower than a F1 type drive train. Recently, car manufacturers who have a history of F1 trannies have begun to coordinate the technology with not only the suspension, but throttle and braking. Their cars are designed for maximum performance through use of a F1 drive train and not manual.

Thus, it must driven with a sensitivity to the car as much as to the road. It take practice and regular use to get in tune with the car to maximize its performance. It is a learning experience using the paddles to keep the RPM's at optimal range while coordinating with the suspension/braking in keeping the car in balance.

uhhh, what? Nick, doesn't your Ferrari, like all other auto-manuals (flappy paddles) that I'm familiar with, PREVENT you from downshifting in situations where the revs would exceed the engine's maximum? If so, then clearly the driver's skill at "maintaining RPM's" doesn't mean anything because the engine computer is going to doublecheck the driver's transmission choice and if it's within an allowed RPM range, the gear change will happen; but if it would over-rev the engine, then you have to BRAKE and/or let off the gas to let the engine speed drop to a point where a downshift would not overrev the engine. <--Again, all of this is managed by the car, not the driver.

I'm sure I'm missing your relevent point so please, I'm on a 12 month sabbatical and have plenty of time to be your pupil. Please educate me further.

I am guessing most of you here in this thread have never drove the GT-R yet, and most of the comments are based on whatever knowledge one has acquired from mags or forums.

I test drove the GT-R almost 6 months ago, granted it wasn't a track run but my impression was that it was a HEAVY car, I can feel the weight transfers but the trick awd system just propells it around corners like it's on rails. Those are expected but the amazing thing is that it does not feel like it has the same 480hp like the 997TT, it feels like it has much more.

I am sure the GT-R is capable of doing a 7:29, but not with the 480hp stock hp, I am also sure it can easily post a faster time than the 997TT, but also not with the 'stock' 480hp because it already came with more than 480 from the factory.

In fact, I am willing to bet that the boost might have been turned way up for Suzuki's 7:29 run, plus Nissan might have replaced all the panels with CF.

"In fact, I am willing to bet that the boost might have been turned way up for Suzuki's 7:29 run, plus Nissan might have replaced all the panels with CF."
    Whoopsy

You could be absolutely right, but im not sure about the carbon fiber thing. That just sounds kind of silly and desperate.

I actually thought the video was straight out of Gran Turismo 4. Thats it, this video is a complete fake and rendered using the video game. Damn those japs are sneaky as sh#t. There was probably a guy playing with the steering wheel behind the camera. I have finally settled it.

possible video of the real driver.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAXTbDy197o

Quote:
    nberry said:

Thus, it must driven with a sensitivity to the car as much as to the road. It take practice and regular use to get in tune with the car to maximize its performance. It is a learning experience using the paddles to keep the RPM's at optimal range while coordinating with the suspension/braking in keeping the car in balance. Only then can a professional driver maximize its performance. In a word, it is not done just by making a few runs around the Ring.

Capice?

Nick, that may fly with the teens at supercars.net o in a playstation forum but here its just humorous

Quote:
    SadoTorque said:
    There was probably a guy playing with the steering wheel behind the camera. I have finally settled it.

possible video of the real driver.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAXTbDy197o

Maybe he could teach Nick a bit more about paddleshift driving?

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Thus, it must driven with a sensitivity to the car as much as to the road. It take practice and regular use to get in tune with the car to maximize its performance. It is a learning experience using the paddles to keep the RPM's at optimal range while coordinating with the suspension/braking in keeping the car in balance.

uhhh, what? Nick, doesn't your Ferrari, like all other auto-manuals (flappy paddles) that I'm familiar with, PREVENT you from downshifting in situations where the revs would exceed the engine's maximum? If so, then clearly the driver's skill at "maintaining RPM's" doesn't mean anything because the engine computer is going to doublecheck the driver's transmission choice and if it's within an allowed RPM range, the gear change will happen; but if it would over-rev the engine, then you have to BRAKE and/or let off the gas to let the engine speed drop to a point where a downshift would not overrev the engine. <--Again, all of this is managed by the car, not the driver.

I'm sure I'm missing your relevent point so please, I'm on a 12 month sabbatical and have plenty of time to be your pupil. Please educate me further.

Jeff, downshifting into the wrong RPM is adjusted by the computer but is also an indication that you were not at optimal rpm's. The same applies to upshifting. While entering and existing corners it is absolutely critical to be at the appropriate rpm's. The scenario you described is a clear indication you are not. Like many you are making the erroneous assumption that maximum RPM (redline) is always the best.

FWIW, now that Porsche has come out with its version of the F1 drive train, many of you will suddenly have an epiphany and recognize that paddle shifting can be an art form.

Nick,
    Ferrari F1 or Audi R Tronic require throttle modulation(back off the throttle little bit) for totally smooth upshifts. DSG system a la M-DKG or PDK will not require that technique...
    BUT, DSG trannies have there own AI so sometimes they do not allow downshift for example despite the fact that your revs are not near the limit... Why? Because AI is telling you that this gear is optimal for your current speed, current Gs etc. Belive it or not but, since I drove BMW M3 with M-DKG I know what I am talking about. Also M-DKG is close cousine of new Califonia DSG since both are made by Getrag(first time for Ferrari-known Graziano user)...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Jeff, downshifting into the wrong RPM is adjusted by the computer but is also an indication that you were not at optimal rpm's. The same applies to upshifting. While entering and existing corners it is absolutely critical to be at the appropriate rpm's. The scenario you described is a clear indication you are not. Like many you are making the erroneous assumption that maximum RPM (redline) is always the best.

FWIW, now that Porsche has come out with its version of the F1 drive train, many of you will suddenly have an epiphany and recognize that paddle shifting can be an art form.

Ever watch the movie Swingers? When the Jon Favreau character just kept calling back over and over again leaving more and more messages. Each more pitiful than the last. Remember how painful it was and you wished he would just stop.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I have a 335 coupe with paddle shifters and it rev-matches on downshifts, prevents overrevs and all that stuff, but you know what, compared to my manual TT when I drive the beemer I often feel like a disabled old fart. Sorry

My understanding is that the GTR that completed the 7:29 was 'tweaked' somewhat from the one that had earlier completed a 7:38. The alterations are apparently related to the suspension and brake set-up and all Euro allocation cars will come as such.

I am not sure what Nissan intends to do for those customers who have already taken delivery, perhaps back to the dealer for update.

Also on the GTR forum, numerous posters are reoprting that their japanese spec cars when dyno'd are running about 480 at the hub, not flywheel. This info pertains to both domestic Japanese cars and some grey imports brought to the UK.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Capice?

Frankly, I don't understand your point. I cannot see any difficulties in handling the paddle system in modern sports cars

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Capice?

Frankly, I don't understand your point. I cannot see any difficulties in handling the paddle system in modern sports cars

Problem is that Nick do not understand that sequential manuals a la F1 work completely different then DCT systems.

Also sequential manuals are becoming obsolete... Even Ferrari is admiting that with new California. You can bet with me that 599M will feature DCT and DFI V12...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Capice?

Problem is that Nick do not understand that sequential manuals a la F1 work completely different then DCT systems.

Also sequential manuals are becoming obsolete... Even Ferrari is admiting that with new California. You can bet with me that 599M will feature DCT and DFI V12...

Your right I am only speaking from my experience with sequential.

MSRK, I do not dispute that paddles make it easier to drive madern sport cars. My point is in high performance driving the use of paddles in extracting optimum performance from the car is more than a video game as most here have stated. As I wrote earlier, when PDK is in 90% of of all Porsche's ordered (make no mistake that will be the case) all these attacked against the paddles will fade.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Capice?

MSRK, I do not dispute that paddles make it easier to drive madern sport cars. My point is in high performance driving the use of paddles in extracting optimum performance from the car is more than a video game as most here have stated. As I wrote earlier, when PDK is in 90% of of all Porsche's ordered (make no mistake that will be the case) all these attacked against the paddles will fade.

And how does this make HvS less capable of driving a GTR which was your first point

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Ever watch the movie Swingers? When the Jon Favreau character just kept calling back over and over again leaving more and more messages. Each more pitiful than the last. Remember how painful it was and you wished he would just stop.

Thuggy, that is weird!

I never saw the movie "Swingers", but when I read your sentences: "When the nberry character just kept calling back over and over again leaving more and more messages. Each more pitiful than the last. Remember how painful it was ......", I also had an intense feeling of deja vu!

Official video is now up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZ5i15yVU8&feature=related

The "controversy" the GT-R has generated is simply because it threatens the established order, in its home market, on its home venue. I wonder how much 'pressure" the European press will feel (direct or indirect) from Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, etc. that might hinder any objective reviews of the GT-R. I'm not likely to buy a GT-R simply because of its weight/size. But I like how competition forces everyone to improve. The GT-R deserves respect for being at the cutting edge of automotive technology today, and fostering more advancements in the future.

Quote:
    schao said:
    The "controversy" the GT-R has generated is simply because it threatens the established order, in its home market, on its home venue. I wonder how much 'pressure" the European press will feel (direct or indirect) from Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, etc. that might hinder any objective reviews of the GT-R. I'm not likely to buy a GT-R simply because of its weight/size. But I like how competition forces everyone to improve. The GT-R deserves respect for being at the cutting edge of automotive technology today, and fostering more advancements in the future.

I totally agree. No matter what was done to that particular car in the first place, it'd be only the feeling of false advertising I'd mind.

Great driving from Suzuki and all kudos to the GTR. 'The Legend is Real' starts to ring true. The GTR does have supercar performance, and even the sound isn't too bad.

Anyone who drives a lot on the Nordschleife (as I do) knows how difficult it is to carry that kind of speed through corners. A perfect lap.

Is this some kind of a joke ? That's like visiting the workshop every 2 ~ 4 times a month

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Great driving from Suzuki and all kudos to the GTR. 'The Legend is Real' starts to ring true. The GTR does have supercar performance, and even the sound isn't too bad.

Anyone who drives a lot on the Nordschleife (as I do) knows how difficult it is to carry that kind of speed through corners. A perfect lap.

Alas Mr Suzuka

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    Is this some kind of a joke ? That's like visiting the workshop every 2 ~ 4 times a month

It means that ALL GT-R parts are at the UPPER technical limit. And that stories about short living engine are true...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Capice?

I concur.

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I concur.

Again, the question was not whether the new transmissions are faster than manual. Gheesh, even for most of the population, tiptronics would be faster than the 6 speeds!

However, what will not fade is the argument of driver involvement and the feeling of driving a manual versus an assisted transmission. Some people will always want to drive a stick and with both feet

But again, Nick tries to sidestep a losing argument by putting up another... BS baffles brains approach that probably serves him well professionaly obviously

His original point again was this new tech would make HvS slower than normal. The answer obviously is it wouldn't, he just does not want to say so. because he already said it would

Quote:
    AUM said:

He is amazing! WOW what a drive. BTW, did you hear the shifting with the paddles and the engine at its optimal rpm's going through and out of those corners?

However, I must point out that the exhaust had a totally different sound than the other videos showing the GT-R in performance mode. It makes me wonder.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    However, I must point out that the exhaust had a totally different sound than the other videos showing the GT-R in performance mode. It makes me wonder.

It sounds like you are beginning to prepare yourself for your Epiphany moment, Nick.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    AFAIK HvS does flying laps and also start and stop in those same two points.

And Porsche (WR)?

The Porsche figures are the outcome of the same (i.e. SportAuto) test procedure. Thus, Porsche (WR) and SportAuto lap times are comparable.

Someone VERY knowledgeable on this forum told me otherwise...that Porsche timed from a standing start.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    AFAIK HvS does flying laps and also start and stop in those same two points.

And Porsche (WR)?

The Porsche figures are the outcome of the same (i.e. SportAuto) test procedure. Thus, Porsche (WR) and SportAuto lap times are comparable.

Someone VERY knowledgeable on this forum told me otherwise...that Porsche timed from a standing start.

Sport Auto. Porsche, Nissan et al use the same flying lap procedure and start and finish points.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777092 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441656 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262760 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260925 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85183 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5560 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880633 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815875 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM