Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

[Video] Accelerating to top speed in my new 911S !

This video was taken probably 2-3 weeks ago but being the lazy person that I am I just managed to get myself to compress it and fix it up . Its the first time I ever upload a video, so I hope you guys like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjWbV77woSs

Re: [Video] Accelerating to top speed in my new 911S !

Is this a tip? Hey man are there any cops in your country. You have gutts

haha! Yes it is indeed a tip :P and we do have cops. Actually right after where I cut the video off, I got in a seriously messy sitiuation that could have ended up REALLY badly.. some guy pulled over into my lane and the lane on the right had a truck on it.. im not gonna tell ya what happened and how though, coz you just wont beleive me But one things for sure im never gonna be trying that again!

Flagg, great video. But dangerous, glad your OK. Sometimes we don't how powerful cars can be and dangerous.

Re: [Video] Accelerating to top speed in my new 91

+1, when I saw the title was hoping you'd be on a track, glad there was no accident and you wont be doing it again, high speed videos on public roads always make me nervous.

one word..PUTZ...Sorry Flagg

In the UK there seems to be a spate of the law trying to locate drivers who are involved in these sort of online videos. I understand also that they are eventually getting their man.

Impressive video, but be careful.

Quote:
    Flagg said:
    haha! Yes it is indeed a tip :P and we do have cops. Actually right after where I cut the video off, I got in a seriously messy sitiuation that could have ended up REALLY badly.. some guy pulled over into my lane and the lane on the right had a truck on it.. im not gonna tell ya what happened and how though, coz you just wont beleive me But one things for sure im never gonna be trying that again!

Awww go on - tell us what happened!

Great done mate! So - what happend that night?

Look at what he did at 1:38 minutes - there was a construction detour that he just straight-lined! Always know the road you doing this stuff on - at the very least!
    A little reckless if you ask me. I thought the penalties in that country were very harsh. Have a beer if you want to do something dangerous in Dubai.
    Cheers

Well..., now the cops have all the evidence they need to track you down and nail you to the wall at their leisure.

What "struck" me? Two minutes of _extreme_ high speed on an open public road is a fk of a long time for something to have gone way wrong.

Glad you're okay. Don't do it again. Good luck not getting caught.

Don't mention it
    i still feel guilty to kill a E55 on a public road... everything within 30 sec...but I am still scared imagining some one or a deer just jump out on the road.

Quote:
    CS said:
    Don't mention it
    i still feel guilty to kill a E55 on a public road... everything within 30 sec...but I am still scared imagining some one or a deer just jump out on the road.

Nah..., guilt is not necsssary (I have direct experience too ). Once in a while you get tempted and give in. just don't make a _habit_ out of it. Oh..., and make sure you are the only guys around.

i am just so disappointed , over here in uae its normal to see people speeding as if they own the road without taking into account other people lives.
    my friend died because some dumbass driving a lambo thought its a good idea to do 250+ KM/H in a 100 km/h road which ended in a huge accident and 5 people died.
    we have dubai autodrome http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/
    why dont you go to that track and drive like crazy there.
    i own a 997turbo and never went above 120 km/h in public roads or highways.
    i am sorry if i sound like an dude but ive had it with this motherbeebing speeding on this motherbeebing roads

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    Look at what he did at 1:38 minutes - there was a construction detour that he just straight-lined! Always know the road you doing this stuff on

And that post wins the lottery!
    Indeed I went up and down that road (12 km stretch in the middle of nowhere) twice before I decided it was safe enough to try stuff on. Also made sure there was no traffic on it (in that case, it was only 1 truck which I gave 5 minutes lead before I started my run).. so although it is a public road, its not like it was near the city or busy in any way.

Problem came when a Toyota 4x4 simply came into the road from the right (he was offroading it seemed) and, without checking the left lane, he just turned onto it (instead of holding the right lane behind the truck) about 3-400m or so ahead of me, even though I had full beam on. Heres what happened; First I thought hed see me and change lanes.. so I paused for a second or two.. realized that wasnt gonna happen. I got on the brakes very gently (knowing that stomping the brakes fully was madness at that speed), but my friend paniced and started yelling "full brakes!". I did, and could barely keep the car on the road (kept swerving between the 2 lanes). By complete fluke, I happened to be on the right lane when I came side by side with that 4x4, with the truck straight ahead of me (doing around 200ish at that time). Now there was a TINY gap between the 4x4 and the truck, there was no way I could squeeze in if it was a normal sitiuation, the length of my car just would not fit normally, but when I turned left tryin to go through it the cars ass came across and the car went straight through head-first (if that makes any sense). Then turned right hard again as I got past him, cars ass flung the other way and just before it hit the bars between the roads it gripped (must have been traction control i guess?) and I managed to get back to driving straight again.. it all happened in like 10 seconds, and I could say it was my closest call ever by far..

RRS, I know what your on about and id never try that on a road where I could see people around. That road was just so deserted, slight downslope so visibility was great, well lit etc, it was just bad luck that the guy from the desert came out of nowhere AND decided not to check his side mirrors before changing lanes.. Although it might seem like it a bit from that video, im not some reckless jackass that does twice the roads legal speed whenever he gets a chance, I just thought it wouldnt hurt to try something like this just once to see how far the car can get. (and in a place far far away from the city, people, and other traffic).

Like I said, thats one thing im never going to be trying again!

PS. I got 2 big fat lines on my brake discs now from that hard braking at such a high speed

Quote:
    Flagg said:

I believe ya. You did it, God allowed you to live, and no need to do again.

BTW, FWIW, It's more "normal" to hit 110mph, 120mph, 130(?), occasionally in short bursts when it's _____"safe"_____.

I'd delete that video if possible; seriously - it's evidence.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Flagg said:

BTW, FWIW, It's more "normal" to hit 110mph, 120mph, 130(?), occasionally in short bursts when it's _____"safe"_____.

evidence in Dubai.. i heard they only make you pay if they at all catch you.

HA? where are you?

ps. i've been on that highway. is it south of Dubai?

glad you're okey!

It's been reported that a few years ago this guy in NJ (?) maxxed out his Ferrari while video-ing it. He posted it on YouTube and eventually got busted by local cops.

Darwin has a way of managing these senseless stunts. The unfortunate thing is that often the Darwinian selection, cuts also a few lives of innocent bystanders.

Kind of off topic, but something hit me when watching that video...the sport chrono clock in the middle of his dash - mine doesn't light up when the car's lights are turned on, and not one but three dealers have told me its not supposed to (I suppose on the theory that Porsche doesn't think its safe to be doing lap times at night).....In this video, his is lit up! Am I missing something? Is mine just out, and the dealers are wrong/lying? Does the Sport Chrono have to be activated to light up at night? Any insight would be appreciated!

Quote:
    Toddman said:
    ...the sport chrono clock in the middle of his dash - mine doesn't light up when the car's lights are turned on

It's not connected with the car's lights. It only lights up when (i) the stop watch is activated (ii) the stop watch is not reset after using the watch. If you want permanent illumination without the stopwatch running all the time: start the stopwatch and stop it at any time without resetting it. You may try to stop it at 9.11 or 9.97 - good luck

the light is only on when the clock is running. I stopped my clock at 9.11 so the light is always on.

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Flagg said:

evidence in Dubai.. i heard they only make you pay if they at all catch you.

HA? where are you?

ps. i've been on that highway. is it south of Dubai?

glad you're okey!

no you are wrong you dont just pay thats only if you are doing 20-40 k/mh above the limit,but if you are exceeding the speed limit by alot there is a big chance you are going to jail + your car get apprehended + (new law) do community service aka cleaning roads and such.

Quote:
    Toddman said:
    Kind of off topic, but something hit me when watching that video...the sport chrono clock in the middle of his dash - mine doesn't light up when the car's lights are turned on, and not one but three dealers have told me its not supposed to (I suppose on the theory that Porsche doesn't think its safe to be doing lap times at night).....In this video, his is lit up! Am I missing something? Is mine just out, and the dealers are wrong/lying? Does the Sport Chrono have to be activated to light up at night? Any insight would be appreciated!

My understanding is that the Sport Chrono only lights up when activated. It's difficult to tell from the video whether it was timing him but there is no other reason for it to be illuminated.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Flagg said:

Evidence of what ? That a man, somewhere, probably in a carrera tip did 290km/h. There is no face. No licence plate. Nothing. They might trace up the one who posted it, but any lawyer will just destroy them. In my country the police doesn't even bother going after these guys.

If you start the chrono timer and then stop it, without resetting it, the light will remain illuminated all the time.

Followed the advice of the previous poster here and got it set to 9.11

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803642 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448662 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266252 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6685 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885958 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833722 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM