Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 PCM Phone.. quality

Once again I tryed to use the phone yesterday. My call-partners coldnt here me. Again I phoned the Porsche Garage and asked for help. Anyway - those guys coudnt here me either They said I sound like I would speak into a coke can. And - I was not that fast, maybe 50 - 60 km/h - 30 - 45 mi/h.

So back home I called them and aligned an appointment for today. They want to change parts with another car and check whats going on.

I'm excited what they find and if they really can improve this. I'll keep you updated!

Re: 997 PCM Phone.. quality

Looking foward to hearing from you as I am getting the same feedback when using the integrated phone. Sound quality for the counterpart is really bad while I can hear them pretty good.

Just got a call from my Porsche Dealer.

The car is ready for pick up but they didnt change anything. He said "we measured all components and they seem to be ok". I said - you hear yesterday how ok they are. He answered "yes - but we tryed a brand new car and this car was the same bad quality - so your car is ok".

Kind of insane. I involved now the Porsche AG in Zuffenhausen. I will not step back before I got a solution. I mean - I know this quality will never be like a land line but however, I expect a quality which is good enough to talk to someone within cities and country-roads.

I will keep you updated!

I use the PCM integrated phone fairly often. At street speeds the other party can hear just fine even with the top down. At highway speeds the other party can hear just fine with the top up. At highway speeds with the top down, you'd better roll up the passenger windows or the wind noise will start to interfere. If there is a big tractor trailer traveling alongside, they'll probably have trouble hearing you. It's just too noisey.

I don't have much trouble with it. That said, I have done a lot of announcing over the years which some say gives me a commanding voice. That might help cut through the noise.

Occasionally the other party can't make out what you are saying at all. I called my mother the other day while stationary in a parking lot. She couldn't figure out what I was saying. Yet, later I called her while moving and she could hear just fine. I think that first call was literally a "bad connection". I should have hung up and redialed.

I recently had my windshield replaced. When I got the car back, the phone's signal strength was way down. I started having a lot of dropped calls. I suspected the windshield guys had neglected to reconnect the phone's antenna. I took it back in and sure enough, it was disconnected.

Incidentally, does anybody know where the phone's microphone is physically located? It's always surprised me that people can hear you, even with the top down, when one's mouth has got to be at least a couple of feet away from the microphone (where ever it is).

The big problem I have with the PCM phone is that it's only tri-band and the one band it's missing is what my carrier uses on the road from Austin to Houston. So, for the one big road trip I make every month in the car I've got one bar or no signal for the bulk of it.

That and it's sort of awkward having a separate phone number for the car. I wish US carriers had the option to do cloned number SIM cards or whatever, so that I could have the same phone number for the car and my mobile.

There's no way in hell I'd ever buy this option again, given those two problems.

The microphone is located in the steering column behind the mesh cover. I believe there are actually two, one for the Bose system and one for the phone.

I've heard similar stories and it comes down to the ability of the noise-canceling microphone being below par.

I'm not certain if it will work, but have you tried disabling the audiopilot on the pcm and making that troublesome call?

Pop

Not sure this helps, particularly for cabs, but I find that if I have the volume too high the other person gets an echo effect when they speak. It improves, for them, if you keep the volume, for yourself, down to a minimum.

That said, it should be much better and simpler than it is.

I'm not sure if this would be a solution for you folks but I used to have the PCM phone module. I've since then replaced it with the Tooki Bluetooth module which essentially _is_ the Porsche phone module but modified to accept Bluetooth. With this setup, I'm able to use my regular BT enabled phone through the PCM without issues. I also had them install the noise-cancelling microphone up high next to the dome light cover. This setup works really well for me and is completely transparent in its operation. Feels and looks like a factory OEM setup. The best part is that I also have quad-band capabilities through my Blackberry Curve.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'm not sure if this would be a solution for you folks but I used to have the PCM phone module. I've since then replaced it with the Tooki Bluetooth module which essentially _is_ the Porsche phone module but modified to accept Bluetooth. With this setup, I'm able to use my regular BT enabled phone through the PCM without issues. I also had them install the noise-cancelling microphone up high next to the dome light cover. This setup works really well for me and is completely transparent in its operation. Feels and looks like a factory OEM setup. The best part is that I also have quad-band capabilities through my Blackberry Curve.

Do you have more info on that kit? It adds bluetooth conection to the PCM phone while keeping a stock look?
    I would love to use my onw phone instead of the PCM sim card in my 997, but I don't like add ons like a Parrot, ect.

I also have stopped using my PCM phone.
    First reason is the inconvenience of the second sim card ( the only good solution is Bluetooth )
    The second reason is that people can not hear me correctly making any conversation very difficult

This is a well known issue - which affects all 9x7 models, albeit its completely random. Porsche AG are aware of it, they've supposedly been working on a fix for 15 mon ths now, but i'm not aware of anythign being available yet. Some cars are OK, others are dreadful - i bet if your delaer tried another new car they would find it OK

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Do you have more info on that kit? It adds bluetooth conection to the PCM phone while keeping a stock look?
    I would love to use my onw phone instead of the PCM sim card in my 997, but I don't like add ons like a Parrot, ect.

Yes, that's how it works. I couldn't be happier with how it works.

http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_bluetooth_tooki.php

Here's a thread that shows how it works:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99911&highlight=Tooki

That looks great, thanks! will look into it

Here is the Tooki link. As Mr.80 says... it works
    http://www.navtv.com/products_usa_bluetooth_tooki.php

A couple other forums have lengthy discussions
    http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s=8ae6ea3227d951a1353c11a25f738599&showtopic=16189

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99911

Screen shots of ATT carrier and signal strength

I agree with all the comments. My very expensive phone in the car = cr*p. Sorry Porsche but you should have done this better (at least tested it more thoroughly).

I think the main issue is that the microphone is located in the wrong place - need line of sight/sound for better clarity (otherwise you get echo), which is why roof better than steering column. Doh.

I have Bose - does that make it worse by any chance?

Thanks! looks like they are planning ona an iPod/MP3 link too.

Apparently you can take your car back to the dealer for a noise cancelling firmware update that gets rid of a lot of the background noise that the microphone picks up.

I hope that the 911 starts to get some better competition soon (Aston/Audi)so that Porsche start get pro-active about the interior of their cars.

Incredible that we are discussing these really basic issues that all up must have a cost basis of 1000 Euro for Porsche to get really right.

My list is;

Better Phone system (bluetooth and voice activation).
    Better GPS Nav.
    Better Sound System with Ipod/Mp3 connection and Internal Hard Disk. Delete CD player.
    Better Keying System. Current Key too big and the hood pops open too many times by mistake.

The 911 is a brilliant car and a joy to drive but it would be fantastic if it was perfect in all aspects.

Maybe the Panamera team will be forward thinking about these things and hopefully pass them down to the 911 team. So I will looking forward to the 998 for getting it right!

After involving Zuffenhausen on Thursday, my Dealer called me Friday. Yes - he still was insisting on Thursday that there is no chance to change something. So - he said "we found a solution" (hmm - yes him, or was ist Zuffenhausen - hmm).

So the solution is a software update which changes the setting to the noise cancellation (as "da duke" said before). He said that they ordered the CD and I should come over today to test it. I will do during the morning and come back again.

When I picked up my car, there was a list of known problems. One was, that on low voices (like I had), the system filters not only the noises but also the voice, as system just cuts low frequencies. Thats why I sound robotic, only the higher frequencies come through, the rest is cut off. Weired - isnt it. So my guess - the software update is changing the cut off frequency. If it gets better - dont know - will report later on!

There we go... I got the upgrade of the Phone Module Software today.

First tests are proofing a tremendous improvement. People finally can hear me. I was not that fast (apprx. 120 km/h), but will try on higher speeds soon.

The Porsche Dealer had a CD which was to insert into the PCM. So no need of a Diagnose-System.

Cheers, L@rs

Good tip - is this expensive? Or hopefully free - why should I pay for something broken in the first place to be fixed?

Great news Lars - thank you so much.

I phoned my OPC and, sure enough, this 'fix' is readily available. It involves changing the position of the microphone and updating the software via a CD. The process takes about 20 minutes and, best of all, is FREE OF CHARGE!

I'm booked in for Thursday morning....can't wait.

Yes - its for free

@John - change of Micro Position? In my car they didnt change this. Can you ask when done, where they have put the Micro to?

Thanks, L@rs

Quote:
    John H said:
    Great news Lars - thank you so much.

I phoned my OPC and, sure enough, this 'fix' is readily available. It involves changing the position of the microphone and updating the software via a CD. The process takes about 20 minutes and, best of all, is FREE OF CHARGE!

I'm booked in for Thursday morning....can't wait.

Great news - John, which is your OPC? Mine (Porsche West London) has a tendency to rip me off...

Thanks again for this info, Lars.

I use the OPC at Wilmslow. They knew about the fix straight away and gave me full details, so I'd guess all OPC's will be equally aware...

I'll give you the run-down after I have it done tomorrow.

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Yes - its for free

@John - change of Micro Position? In my car they didnt change this. Can you ask when done, where they have put the Micro to?

Thanks, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

Will do...

Thanks for this info guys I'm getting this done to mine asap

Went to the OPC today. The software up-grade turns out to be only for '06 cars and later. As mine is an '05 the CD wouldn't work for me.

They changed the position of the microphone and that, combined with turning down the volume a bit more, has improved the quality quite a lot.

The mic' is situated on the steering column and there are two 'mesh-like' openings. These are thought to be for LHD and RHD models. Mine (RHD) was connected to the left side mesh. They changed it to the right side and, as I said before, there is a definite improvement.

How much of that is down to lowering the volume I can't really tell.

I guess for LHD therefore, the best mesh to connect to would be left side.

Update.... After 10 days, I've come to the conclusion that moving the microphone is a waste of time.

The only thing that improves quality is turning down the volume to the point when the other person on the line gets less echo.

I hope you guys with post '06 cars get better results from the new software CD.

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    There we go... I got the upgrade of the Phone Module Software today.

First tests are proofing a tremendous improvement. People finally can hear me. I was not that fast (apprx. 120 km/h), but will try on higher speeds soon.

The Porsche Dealer had a CD which was to insert into the PCM. So no need of a Diagnose-System.

Cheers, [Email]L@rs[/Email]

Hi Lars,

Can you check your Porsche dealer's work order paperwork for the part number of the phone module update CD.

Thanks,
    Arnold

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780915 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442562 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263345 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261670 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85805 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5912 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881423 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818880 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM