Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The option that should have come from Porsche

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    If its not a daft question why do people want a really fat steering wheel? It looks like something out of a 1980's Rover MG Maestro or something.

Do you have really HUGE hands?

You know what they say about people with big hands.... So is this just a ploy to dispel the common porsche myth too. "No, no, look its not true at all - I have enormous hands, so big I need a super fat steering wheel - so I cant possibly be small in the trouser dept!"

Give the guy a break. If he prefers a thick steering wheel, let him have it, no need to resort to insulting people based on some hairdresser salon superstition about human physiology. Rennteam is better than that. I know I'd look into the same option had I bought the car.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    no need to resort to insulting people based on some hairdresser salon superstition about human physiology.

You make sense, but you're insulting a whole profession!

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    no need to resort to insulting people based on some hairdresser salon superstition about human physiology.

You make sense, but you're insulting a whole profession!

Being a hairdresser is a profession?

It didn't to me when I wrote this, but "profession" is an interesting word because of its different meanings (like "occur" in fact).

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    If its not a daft question why do people want a really fat steering wheel? It looks like something out of a 1980's Rover MG Maestro or something.

Do you have really HUGE hands?

You know what they say about people with big hands.... So is this just a ploy to dispel the common porsche myth too. "No, no, look its not true at all - I have enormous hands, so big I need a super fat steering wheel - so I cant possibly be small in the trouser dept!"

Ha ha ha man, that's one of the funniest by quite a bit

Speaking for myself, I don't have a fetish for crazy-thick wheels or anything. But I do find stock wheels a little too thin sometimes. I guess it's just the feel of the thing, really. A solid feeling car should have a solid feeling wheel imo. Plus, if you wear gloves (for whatever reason) then it's nice to have a thicker wheel...

I'm not quite sure how thick the Porsche wheel is, so I'm just keeping this one in mind...

I actually think people prefer a thinner or thicker wheel depending upon how they hold the wheel - i.e. perpendicular to the rim (and hence they need a thicker wheel) or at more of an oblique angle (and hence a thinner wheel is fine).

I do the latter and find that I can make more delicate steering inputs/adjustments as a result...

Just my 2 cents

Adam,

Don't knock it until you've tried it, buddy. Race cars have THICK steering wheel rims usually. That doesn't mean we're racer wannabes, it just means that it feels great.

I, OTOH, don't understand the thicker wheel. Seems that the "delicate," sophisticated (variable ratio), highly-responsive steering system would be better appreciated by a smaller diameter wheel.

You need a better, stronger grip on something if you have to muscle it around, right?

Also for arthritis..., might be nice.

Just wondering what the attraction is to thicker wheels?

No disrespect intended.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I, OTOH, don't understand the thicker wheel. Seems that the "delicate," sophisticated (variable ratio), highly-responsive steering system would be better appreciated by a smaller diameter wheel.

You need a better, stronger grip on something if you have to muscle it around, right?

No disrespect intended.

For me it's the feel. My hands just feel more comfortable with a thicker wheel.

We've come a long way.

Geezz.

Quote:
    MMD said:

No disrespect intended.

The thickness of the wheel and the diameter are really two different issues. I wouldn't want a larger diameter wheel but I do want a thicker wheel.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I, OTOH, don't understand the thicker wheel.

MMD : Seems its just the two of us that have small hands!!!!
    But then, thats what the Porsche is there to make up for ofc..

Actually, I have really small hands too, but I find the large wheel is more comfortable to hold/drive with, my fingers are just that much more relaxed, I feel like my fingers are in their natural half open/half close position when I hold onto the wheel.

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    I, OTOH, don't understand the thicker wheel.

MMD : Seems its just the two of us that have small hands!!!!
    But then, thats what the Porsche is there to make up for ofc..

Yeah, yeah... . I HAD to buy a Turbo because I'm a wimpy, insufficient, overcompensator. HAHA.

My hand size is XL. Has more to do with the fact that old classic sports cars, with mechanisms even more primative than rack and pinion, all had thinner wheels (the part you grab onto). I guess THAT was enough for the "true sports car feel."

See photos above.

Seems to me the more rough-and-tumble the car is, the thicker and more padded the wheel should be.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

No disrespect intended.

The thickness of the wheel and the diameter are really two different issues. I wouldn't want a larger diameter wheel but I do want a thicker wheel.

My mistake..., sorry..., I was talking about the diameter of the part you grip onto.

Any of you guys who have changed to the Techart Wheel find a difference in the feel (communication) of the steering? Do you now feel more separated from what's happening on the tarmac, especially at the limit? Just that I've heard that this is the reason that Porsche haven't gone for a thicker steering wheel as standard.

I have Porsches thicker sport wheel and after seeing Jasons and Larrys I was pumped to go for the Techart in leather until I inquired about the price (about $600.00 price increase in the past few months). I can't get myself to shell out $2200 plus my stock core wheel for the Techart. it was $1400 + core last year? Come on thats a bit of a price hike? The dollar didn't tank that much did it? Now my stock wheel feels thick enough!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    I have Porsches thicker sport wheel and after seeing Jasons and Larrys I was pumped to go for the Techart in leather until I inquired about the price (about $600.00 price increase in the past few months). I can't get myself to shell out $2200 plus my stock core wheel for the Techart. it was $1400 + core last year? Come on thats a bit of a price hike? The dollar didn't tank that much did it? Now my stock wheel feels thick enough!

There may be some confusion here on the pricing. I don't know what the current price is for a Techart type 2 wheel with leather and no logo, but mine was $1659 + $30 shipping + $75 installation labor and a refundable core charge of $600. I believe Atomic80's wheel, which has CF accents was about $300 more. The price of the wheel has gone up due to the devaluation of the dollar, and core charge may have gone up some as well, but that amount is refundable. In my case I paid the core charge up front. When the new wheel was installed the core charge was deducted from the price of the wheel, so it was kinda like paying on an installment plan. Bottom line I like the feel of the wheel, and I get plenty of feed back through it.

I thought I uploaded this photo on my last post but I don't see it. One more try....this is a photo of XPA (thicker sport steering wheel). For some reason (wide angle lens?) this shot of my steering wheel looks thicker than it actually is. At least its thicker than the stock wheel on my 997S. That was pencil thin compared to this one! If I didn't get option XPA I would definitely go for the techart. This wheel feels pretty good actually and I like the fact that its got the thumb sections in the right places. Sorry but I don't know what to call it?

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    I thought I uploaded this photo on my last post but I don't see it. One more try....this is a photo of XPA (thicker sport steering wheel). For some reason (wide angle lens?) this shot of my steering wheel looks thicker than it actually is. At least its thicker than the stock wheel on my 997S. That was pencil thin compared to this one! If I didn't get option XPA I would definitely go for the techart. This wheel feels pretty good actually and I like the fact that its got the thumb sections in the right places. Sorry but I don't know what to call it?

Had the same wheel on my 997 S Cab. & ordered it on my Turbo Cab. Feels really great. IMO the XPA is the nicest Porsche wheel.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM