Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Confession of C2S vs. TT Driving Behaviors (Speed)

Gotta say I'm a "dangerous" driver.

When I had my 997S everyday I drove it I couldn't resist opening her up to triple digits when _familiar_ roads were _absolutely_ clear of traffic.

Now with the TT I go even faster much more quickly (never above 130mph though).

Don't get me wrong, 98% of the time I'm driving like I'm behind the wheel of a VW. When in the city or in interstate traffic I'm extremely well-behaved and courteous and safety conscious (sociopathic bottom line ( ) there's us$100+K car and major lawsuits at stake).

Just wondering if I'm the only one who should be arrested and lose his license for a _few_ seconds of speed-rapture _almost_everytime_ I'm driving my P-car.

Sometimes I feel quite guilty and ashamed.

Re: Confession of C2S vs. TT Driving Behaviors (Sp

Tis only natural...you are forgiven.

Re: Confession of C2S vs. TT Driving Behaviors (Speed)

I'm sure most of us share your guilt and shame brother.

I do tend to stay below 100, getting my kicks on empty roundabouts and bendy roads. I think the way a 911 goes around corners beats pure acceleration anyday. You can get straight line acceleration fun in a Merc AMG but there isny much more fun to be had behind the wheel. I recently drove a 2.7 boxster and had great fun with it below the speed limits.

That's one of the main reason I didn't get the TT and went for an AMV8, don't need to drive it as fast...

No! You are not a "dangerous" driver. You are driving with you head on top of your shoulders. The truely dangerous are those with their head "elsewhere".

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Gotta say I'm a "dangerous" driver.

When I had my 997S everyday I drove it I couldn't resist opening her up to triple digits when _familiar_ roads were _absolutely_ clear of traffic.

Now with the TT I go even faster much more quickly (never above 130mph though).

Don't get me wrong, 98% of the time I'm driving like I'm behind the wheel of a VW. When in the city or in interstate traffic I'm extremely well-behaved and courteous and safety conscious (sociopathic bottom line ( ) there's us$100+K car and major lawsuits at stake).

Just wondering if I'm the only one who should be arrested and lose his license for a _few_ seconds of speed-rapture _almost_everytime_ I'm driving my P-car.

Sometimes I feel quite guilty and ashamed.

Nothing to be ashamed of. You are doing it with no one near you. Just be careful of speed traps so you don't get nailed by the police, as that could be very costly in many ways. Today's police, at least in the US, act like the Soviet Secret Police, and your rights are considered to be nonexistent.

After hitting my personal record over a month ago (I hit 151 mph of an "unnamed road," and no one was within a mile of me), I have decided to keep my heavy duty driving confined to a local race track - I didn't get caught on the public road, but I don't want to take the chance again, elsewise I might end up in a jail for a number of weeks.

We own, at least IMHO, the finest and safest sports cars in the world. But we must be careful, my friend, especially when and where we decide to test the limits of these superb sports cars.

Jim

The police here in Ontario now have new legislation where, if you get caught going 50 km/h above the speed limit, are street racing or,"stunt driving" (wheelies on motorcycle for example), your vehicle can be impounded for 7 days on the spot, you get a minimum $2000 fine and a 7 day license suspension. You also have to find your own way home.

They enacted this as a piece of pre-election BS to appease the public as too many idiots in Honda Civic's and their parents' Lexus were street racing and cutting off traffic resulting in a few fatalities.

You can go 50 km/h over the limit in a 40 km/h school zone and get the same fine for going 50 km/h over on a deserted stretch of 100 km/h toll highway.

This law has yet to be challenged against the constitution but I'm pretty sure seizing someone's property and slapping them with a fine and license suspension without the ability to defend yourself in court has got to be unconstitutional.

Having said all that, a radar detector on good stretch of deserted road in the rural areas still allows for a little fun. But now we've got that in the back of our minds all the time.

30mph above any limit here in the UK and you get banned for at least a year.

Quote:
    MMD said:...Sometimes I feel quite guilty and ashamed.

Don't feel guilty. Horsepower is an aphrodisiac. Enjoy your car, safely.

I'm in the minority. 130mph on public roads is not safe. Unless you're telling me you have confirmation that the road ahead is clear (which I don't think you are.)

I know the feeling. There's a stretch of state highway in central Texas where the temptation to "open 'er up" is irresistable. I highest I've ever been is 141 mph. But, like most of us, I won't try it unless it's quiet, the winds are calm, and the road is deserted as far as the eye can see.

Two things surprised me: How easy it was to reach that speed and how much inertia is built up. When I let off the gas, I expected the engine drag to slow the car down dramatically. It didn't. If you need to slow down quickly, you have to downshift.

Texas has a number of nice places for things like that. Don't try it in VA though. For 20+ mph over here, they can put you in jail for up to 1 year.

Quote:
    SurferDude said:
    Don't try it in VA though. For 20+ mph over here, they can put you in jail for up to 1 year.

Frickin' Nazis! That Geico gecko is a little POS in my mind forever. (because Geico did those things in VA).

Join the club as I am no different than you. As crazy as it sounds I was more comfortable pushing the C2S to it's limits while with the TT I am very very cautious. I knew the C2s inside out and while I love my TT, I miss the C2S feel. I know many disagree with me but the TT still has a lag despite the VTG so while the power comes on quick the car is not as predictable as the C2S. I also liked the clutch better on the C2s it was harder and released closer to the floor board while The TT clutch has to tavel a bit higher before the car moves. Will I go back to the C2s, the answer is obviuosly "NO" but I love both of these cars just differently

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Will I go back to the C2s, the answer is obviuosly "NO" but I love both of these cars just differently

Mee Too. I finally figured out most all of my driving is in a straight line . Since most all my roads are highways and interstates the Turbo is perfect. I loved my c2s too, but there's no surplus of beautiful curvey/twisty scenic asphalt around where I drove it.

NMD we both have good taste

This thread has helped me alot (Thanks Guys).

I'm gonna cool it. I promise to make my three digit forays LESS frequent; waaaay less routine.

I mean getting nailed, arrested and jailed would be a __beyond-humongous__ drag!

Geez! Can you imagine it happening to you? Having a nice day and having a few seconds of fun all of a sudden it spirals downward into a black hole? Holy Sh*t! Never been near a jail cell let alone _inside_ one.

Thanks for the educated and educational responses.

ok ill confess to some redlining and a max of 130 in a clear and vacant condition...but the time will come when its miles of good deserted asphalt...resistance will be impossible...lovin my tt more every day

My friend got caught at 145 m.p.h racing a Z06 (Z06 VS. 997TT) they both got arrested. While going through the paper work in jail to get booked for the night, the Father who is high powered judge bailed them both out They still paid for the tickets though.

This is another strong reason to (while you still can) arrange for a European Delivery of your 997TT and then get that speed fix out of your system after the car arrives in the states or Canada. That really helped me with my 997S Cab. Got to see 180 mph and now have absolutely no interest in going anywhere near 140 now.

dan

Dan,
    Are you saying you hit 180 in your cab?

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Tis only natural...you are forgiven.

Res B, I like your video in the background, the R8 is sticking to the ground while the 911 is floating in the hands of a skilled driver??

Hi everybody from Italy! I'm new here.
    I drive a 997C2S. To be fast on highways can be very dangerous and very expensive here in Italy!
    Recently new laws were introduced and if you exceed the speed limit on highways (130Km/h) of 10 Km/h you are fined of about Euro 500,00. Should you exceed of 40Km/h, then the fine can reach Euro 2000,00 and license is gone for 30 days. Driving on normal roads can also be more dangerous as any single city or small village has its own cameras or laser devices so, even in the middle of the countryside, you are never sure! In any case, although I try to respect the limits, I find myself very often at "illegal" speeds. Track days are the last chance!!!

Quote:
    Neil Schneider said:
    Dan,

Yes....on the autobahn between Basel and Karlsruhe one evening. A mile every 20 seconds keeps you on your toes,--and that's with everyone trained and cooperating with you in Germany. I would never try that in the USA with vigilante drivers who would risk everything to make sure you comply with the speed limit.

Dan

Goood thread!

Sure it would be great to have it as a rule to always hit 100 whenever you drive your car, at least once per drive. And I know someone who does that in fact. :-) But, like the others have said, you have to be careful when/where. The lesson I got from this is that my next step has to be towards a track car. I just can't let out my inner cravings on public roads. The track is the place for that - and it's safer for you and the general public.

Anyone else find that Porsche ownership pitchforked you into the track life?

I find it nearly impossible to not lay into my car. Yes I agree twists and turns are funner than any straight line rush. I also have a jeep and my wife loves the fact that I cant speed in that vehicle. The fastest I've taken my JK Jeep is 85. Please dont laugh. But out in the brush with loose gravel and creeks it is insanely fun. I appreciate this thread as well. I Kind of take the power for granted, one must really respect what they have.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    Neil Schneider said:
    Dan,

Yes....on the autobahn between Basel and Karlsruhe one evening. A mile every 20 seconds keeps you on your toes,--and that's with everyone trained and cooperating with you in Germany. I would never try that in the USA with vigilante drivers who would risk everything to make sure you comply with the speed limit.

Dan

Oh my... I couldn't resist keep pushing till i saw 300kmph on my digits last september, on a desolate german autobahn...
    The cab wasn't giving a crimp

I guess it's fine to crush the gas pedal when there's absolutely, positively nobody around. Just stay aware that you are perfectly capable of making a bad decision or being woefully UNlucky and it might result in smashing the car and serious injury/death. So, maybe when you get the urge make it a habit to _resist_ that urge fairly frequently. Otherwise we'll get like trained rats, do it every time, eventually make a bad decision and get killed.

High-power cars and draconian speed limits are a frustrating mix. I have great sympathy for you persecuted sports car drivers who live outside of Germany, and cannot imagine living without regular doses of the Nordschleife and 300 km/h autobahn commutes.

But I will be in NZ (the land of the ubiquitous instant-on mobile-radar V1-defeating revenue collectors) for three months for the winter, where it is prudent to use light low-horsepower sports cars to maximise fun while minimising speed.

Quote:
    Greentree said:
    I know the feeling. There's a stretch of state highway in central Texas where the temptation to "open 'er up" is irresistable. I highest I've ever been is 141 mph. But, like most of us, I won't try it unless it's quiet, the winds are calm, and the road is deserted as far as the eye can see.

Two things surprised me: How easy it was to reach that speed and how much inertia is built up. When I let off the gas, I expected the engine drag to slow the car down dramatically. It didn't. If you need to slow down quickly, you have to downshift.

We have to slow down very quickly on the autobahn (from 300 km/h to 100 km/h) when slower cars or trucks move into the fast lane. To rapidly reduce speed press the brake pedal firmly. Downshifting does not slow the car fast enough.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777764 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441905 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262874 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85360 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880772 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816262 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM