Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which team will Alonso move to?

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    I don't think DC would want to come back to McLaren after the way Dennis treated him. He is a much happy person after his departure from McLaren.

Anyway, I don't know why the driver that would go to McLaren (if Alonso leaves) have to be the 2nd driver behind Hamilton. Where is the equality? Why does Hamilton deserve the n*1 status after the way he has lost the Championship in the last two races? Only because he is Dennis' iligetimate son?

Because with same team support as Raikkonen had, Hamilton would win championship.

And dont blame Hamilton for everything, he had a lot of bad luck this year - 2× tyre fault, in China I dont know why they didnt call him on pit stop and gear box problem on last race. Without one bad luck - for example in Turkey where he lost 3rd place because of tyre explosion, he would be world champion. He did awesome job for his rookie year.

The same can be said about Alonso (a 2 WDC, you seem to forget that way to easily). If the team would have left him overtake Hamilton at Indy or if A.Hamliton wouldn't have complained to the FIA at Hungaroring he would have won the championship. And I'm not the only one who say this, Prost said the same a week ago, if they had given the n*1 status to Alonso they'd have won the title before the last race.

But that is Dennis' problem not Kimi's fault so don't try to devaluate his victory.

I never said he isnt good, but if he cant beat his team mate, then he dont deserve No.1 status. Michael Schumacher had no.1 status, but he wasnt beaten by rookie.

If Hamilton would have no.1 status he would already be champion too.

At the end of the day, experienced driver, two times world champion, is behind rookie in same car. So he deserve no.1 status ? Was Barrichello or Irvine infront of Schumacher at the end of the season ?

Quote:
    antonio_spain said:
    Alex, are you from UK?

What gave me away?!

Of course I support LH because he is from the UK, the same way you would support FA because he is Spanish. Hey, I was pretty p***ed that Nadal beat Murray last week too in the Madrid Masters!

I think each opposing countries media has positioned each driver as 'the bad guy' to their own public. So of course we will have biased opinions.

All I know for sure is that team McLaren + LH + FA = an almighty cock-up of a season. Therefore, that bad relationship should be ended immediately and everyone should move on

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    I don't think DC would want to come back to McLaren after the way Dennis treated him. He is a much happy person after his departure from McLaren.

Anyway, I don't know why the driver that would go to McLaren (if Alonso leaves) have to be the 2nd driver behind Hamilton. Where is the equality? Why does Hamilton deserve the n*1 status after the way he has lost the Championship in the last two races? Only because he is Dennis' iligetimate son?

Because with same team support as Raikkonen had, Hamilton would win championship.

And dont blame Hamilton for everything, he had a lot of bad luck this year - 2× tyre fault, in China I dont know why they didnt call him on pit stop and gear box problem on last race. Without one bad luck - for example in Turkey where he lost 3rd place because of tyre explosion, he would be world champion. He did awesome job for his rookie year.

The same can be said about Alonso (a 2 WDC, you seem to forget that way to easily). If the team would have left him overtake Hamilton at Indy or if A.Hamliton wouldn't have complained to the FIA at Hungaroring he would have won the championship. And I'm not the only one who say this, Prost said the same a week ago, if they had given the n*1 status to Alonso they'd have won the title before the last race.

But that is Dennis' problem not Kimi's fault so don't try to devaluate his victory.

I never said he isnt good, but if he cant beat his team mate, then he dont deserve No.1 status. Michael Schumacher had no.1 status, but he wasnt beaten by rookie.

At the end of the day, experienced driver, two times world champion, is behind rookie in same car. So he deserve no.1 status ? Was Barrichello or Irvine infront of Schumacher at the end of the season ?

He is behind the rookie because he was racing against Ferrari and against his own team. And obvoiusly Hamilton is better than Irvine and Barrichello, but Alonso beat Schuey twice, that makes him automatically better than the German?

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

Amen to that. Had Alonso asserted his superiority Hamilton would have had no other choice but to fall in behind. More than a few people are now wondering if Alonso is as good as once thought. He is very good, we know that, but twice now (Trulli 2004, Hamilton 2007) when he is challenged seriously from within the team, he does not assert his superiority the way we would assume. I cant help but feel that if he had spent less time on saying controversial things and stirring things and more time focusing on his driving (which we know he is good at) he probably would have won the championship. Alonso and Hamilton have both done things wrong this season and Raikonnen is the best man at the end of it.

But hey, time to move on. Alex, agree completely, McLaren 2007 = one almighty f*** up!

Roll on 2008

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

He is behind the rookie because he was racing against Ferrari and against his own team. And obvoiusly Hamilton is better than Irvine and Barrichello, but Alonso beat Schuey twice, that makes him automatically better than the German?

Did you watch all the races in 2005 and 2006? Raikonnen and Schumacher were both very unlucky and both seasons could have gone either way. From what I remember of both seasons, Alonso played a tactical game (exactly what he should have done in 2007 instead of moaning) and that won him the championships.

Not once did he look better than Schumacher, in fact in a straight fight he was severely lacking, come on now man, go back and watch those seasons again

And if we look at this season, was he racing his own team in the first four races? I dont think so! He was simply outdriven, just accept it

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

Did you watch all the races in 2005 and 2006? Raikonnen and Schumacher were both very unlucky and both seasons could have gone either way. From what I remember of both seasons, Alonso played a tactical game (exactly what he should have done in 2007 instead of moaning) and that won him the championships.

Not once did he look better than Schumacher, in fact in a straight fight he was severely lacking, come on now man, go back and watch those seasons again

And if we look at this season, was he racing his own team in the first four races? I dont think so! He was simply outdriven, just accept it

Alonso did the best that he could with the material that McLaren gave him. Do you think that he had any chance of fighting for the title with the float that Dennis gave him for this last race? It's Hamilton who should have played a tactical game but his arrogance didn't let him do that and he lost a championship he never deserved.

Lets talk about facts. Alonso this year was 2 points away from geting the 3rd world title. Only two guys achivied that in history. So please lets respect the guy, personally I think alonso is quite arrogant guy but there is no doubt he is an exceptional pilot. Kimi is very very fast but not as consistent. Hamilton will be world champion one day. He is very fast. But being said that, I still think that maclaren has a huge management problem. Just look at kimis history last year. Or montoya. I think everybody will agree that they loose not because ferraris merits but because that stupid dennis lost the north...do you remember his comment in china "we fight against alonso....." my God....or in hungary allowing hamilton to do what he did and alonso going back five positions when he was FIRST. Incredible

Hamilton showed in the last race he was too immature to win a championship.

Alonso has actually won titles.

If the McLarens had been as good as the Ferraris this year, its likely Alonso would be the champion right now.

Case closed!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I think each opposing countries media has positioned each driver as 'the bad guy' to their own public. So of course we will have biased opinions.

The problem with the British media is that they think that they actually have a role in F1, when most of them do more harm than good to the 'sport'.

P.S.: Do you find normal that ITV cut the press conference coverage to interview Daddy Hamilton?

CGT is right on the money.
    Alonso played his cards right in 2005 and 2006.
    It's not exactly a secret that I am no fan of Alonso - and the reason is simply that he never became "the World Champion". He never drove likee a champion or behaved like one. He simply managed to stay out of the trouble that crippled his opponents. During 2005, Kimi lost around 60 points (GPs he could have won) to Alonso solely due to poor material -10 place penalty due to engine swap or car died during GP.
    Good, solid work by FA - but not impressive IMO.

II am sure he is very good at developing cars with the team, and I am sure that a lot of Renault's success can be attributed to FA.
    It's hard to have an informed opinion about, because there are so many things to factor in - but IMO he is not in the same league as MS or Kimi or Hamilton.

IMO Hamilton could very well be in a league of his own.
    We will see in the coming seasons. However, it is hard to say so right now with so much internal turmoil in the McL team.
    Was he treated like RD's illegitimate son? Would any good driver be able to do the same given the same intense McL upbringing?
    Will he make wiser choices and keep his cool in similar dicey situations?

MKSGR: Sounds like you miss MS a lot. I think its both better for F1 and for the fans that 3 guys can win the championship - not just 1 or 2.
    I dont agree with your assesment, that the top 4 drivers are mediocre except for LH, but I agree that F1 no longer has a domineering figure like MS.
    And frankly that is a great thing.
    LH has the potential - and I wouldnt be surprised if some of the "older" guys stepped up to the plate next year.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    CGT is right on the money.
    Alonso played his cards right in 2005 and 2006.
    It's not exactly a secret that I am no fan of Alonso - and the reason is simply that he never became "the World Champion". He never drove likee a champion or behaved like one. He simply managed to stay out of the trouble that crippled his opponents. During 2005, Kimi lost around 60 points (GPs he could have won) to Alonso solely due to poor material -10 place penalty due to engine swap or car died during GP.
    Good, solid work by FA - but not impressive IMO.

II am sure he is very good at developing cars with the team, and I am sure that a lot of Renault's success can be attributed to FA.
    It's hard to have an informed opinion about, because there are so many things to factor in - but IMO he is not in the same league as MS or Kimi or Hamilton.

IMO Hamilton could very well be in a league of his own.
    We will see in the coming seasons. However, it is hard to say so right now with so much internal turmoil in the McL team.
    Was he treated like RD's illegitimate son? Would any good driver be able to do the same given the same intense McL upbringing?
    Will he make wiser choices and keep his cool in similar dicey situations?

MKSGR: Sounds like you miss MS a lot. I think its both better for F1 and for the fans that 3 guys can win the championship - not just 1 or 2.
    I dont agree with your assesment, that the top 4 drivers are mediocre except for LH, but I agree that F1 no longer has a domineering figure like MS.
    LH has the potential - and I wouldnt be surprised if some of the "older" guys stepped up to the plate next year.

I have been watching this sport for over 20 years so I do consider I know a bit more than a few crazy fanboys jumping on the scene spouting media rhetoric and conspiracy theories I also pay very careful attention to the lower formulae which often tell you more about a driver and their respective abilities compared to their opponents than Formula 1 because the racing is much closer. In F1 the car is much more important than respective ability and blurs the differences between who is good and who is not.

Anybody who has actually watched Hamilton in any of the last four seasons, long before Alonso, Dennis, Spy Scandals etc will know that this guy is on course to be an all time great. If he doesnt become one it will be because he has allowed himself to believe the hype of the media and F1, but somehow I doubt it. I saw this kid race when he was 15 and he was like a 35 year old in terms of attitude even then! So what I say comes from years of observation, not from watching the BS on ITV or reading a newspaper! Take note please certain friends of ours

Also IMO what will be very exciting to watch in the next few seasons are drivers such as Rosberg, Piquet and possibly Glock..these are exciting times..

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

No... The theory is that Alonso beat Schumi beacuase he had a better car. The comparison with Hamilton, however, is in the same car. And in the same car a newcomer (Hamilton) outperformed Alonso. That should never happen to any driver who considers himself "a leading talent". Alonso has been dethroned this season You know, Prost (just as an example) was also a great driver. However, few (if any) would consider him "the best". The same applies to Alonso if you ask me. Of course, he is talented (my former post was a bit harsh....), just not outstanding

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Of course you are right, my former statementn was to harsh on them... These drivers are talented. Somehow, they just lack something outstanding, you know

While it was fun to have MS in the F1 I must agree that he did it perfectly right to the end: he withdraw while he was still at the top. Just think of his last race (where he overtook virtually all cars on the track). Incredible - like his very first race back in 1992 (a short race for him indeed, but just think of how he did the start...)

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

The problem with the British media is that they think that they actually have a role in F1, when most of them do more harm than good to the 'sport'.

P.S.: Do you find normal that ITV cut the press conference coverage to interview Daddy Hamilton?

A. Hamilton is his manager. Ive seen many times interview of Willi Webber (Schumacher`s manager) and with other driver`s managers on RTL or ORF1.. so this isnt unusual.

Jim: But what Hamilton did wrong ? His only mistake was he went in turn 4 for a few seconds out of track. For example, Alonso who is experienced driver was in Montreal at least 4 or 5 times on gravel in turn 1, in Fuji he crashed... Without gearbox problem, Hamilton would easily recover at least on 4th place.

After he dropped on last place, he drove like Schumacher last year in Interlagos.

Shakal, if you can, watch the start of the race again. If Hamilton had not tried to use the wrong line to pass Alonso and just bided his time he would not have went off the track and ended up in 9th place on the first lap.

I dont think he will get that eager again to force a line to catch up one position in the first lap.

I think Hamilton is a great driver. He is cunning, ruthless and intelligent. But on lap 1 at Interlagos his age and lack of experience got the better of him.

I respect all of these pilots. Its a dangerous sport with huge financial stakes, huge egos and a audience in the billions. The talent it takes to drive these cars at the bleeding edge is immense.

Finnish MTV3 reports that Hamilton told a Canadian magazine, La Presse, that he accidentally pressed the wrong button which caused the gear to go into neutral. After that it took him a while to reset the system.

Has anybody else heard of this?

Quote:
    denn said:
    Finnish MTV3 reports that Hamilton told a Canadian magazine, La Presse, that he accidentally pressed the wrong button which caused the gear to go into neutral. After that it took him a while to reset the system.

Has anybody else heard of this?

It seems so! If really did that then...

One thing it's clear: Ron Dennis [beep] up this season!

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    One thing it's clear: Ron Dennis [beep] up this season!

Cgt, Lasse, Jim,

amongst a couple others I truly enjoyed reading your comments. The season's ended, the discussions continue.

It is fine with me if anybody favours a particular pilot, I guess it is hard to do without. However, mentioning this in the past already, I suggest to stay away from media inserted opinions, to focus on the real story behind the fuss. I truly believe that the points generated this season reflect the skill those drivers presented. It appears to be sad that currently no discussion can be held without clashing views on those premier F1 pilots. Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton are all on par in my eyes in sheer performance, however all of them have their own strong and week streaks.

In a recent press article Alain Prost (which I see as one true champion, albeit in a different way as Senna or Mansell) stated that Dennis' management strategy has overcome itself, McLaren's boss having not profitted by Prost's and Senna's rivalry in his team two decades ago. Apart from the fact that Ferrari's or Renault's strategy with one single driver on prominent position has appeared to be more successful in the recent past, Dennis has always, despite promoting the idea of equal rights for both drivers, actively favoured one of his drivers! According to Prost, it was Senna during his time, same as Hakkinen or, obviously, Hamilton right now. Alonso figured that his only possibility to get "equal rights inside the team", and this appears to be stringent to all comments he gave throughout this season, to raise his voice.

The fact alone that so many teams have declared interest in Alonso reflects his status inside the F1 business, obviously even if some fans, whichever country the are from, tend to think different.

Latest news on Alonso....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7058417.stm

I home he moves to team "home"... hehehe

It's official. Alonso is leaving McLaren:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7074737.stm

Alonso to Red Bull

Interesting article from James Allen:
    (Who had it ready, it was published moments after the split article )

Quote:
    I imagine that Ron will have negotiated into his release contract a clause whereby he is not allowed to drive for a manufacturer-backed team for at least the first season.

This would leave him looking at Red Bull as a first choice option.

This would make a lot of sense. As I have said repeatedly in the last few weeks of the season, I reckon Red Bull will give BMW and Renault a run for their money next year in the battle for best of the rest behind McLaren and Ferrari.

It seems to be gelling there now with Geoff Willis and Adrian Newey at the helm of the technical team. The 2008 car should be fast and reliable. And being an engine customer is less significant than it used to be because engines are virtually standardised now.

With Alonso in the car, this could be Red Bull's moment.

However I was told on Saturday in Brazil by a very high up member of RBR management that they felt Alonso would be a destabilising influence in the team, especially if he were only coming in for a year.

Quote:
    I was very interested in his behaviour behind Hamilton during the race at Indy, swerving towards the pit wall to signal his displeasure at being 'held up' by his team mate.

The extra two points he felt he should have had that day would have made him world champion. So you could see his point when he said after Brazil that if the team had done what he asked them to he would have won the world title for them.

But of course they let Hamilton have a go at it himself and they ended up losing the championship to Ferrari.

In that respect, McLaren come out of 2007 looking pretty silly, if you think about it.

But they, like everyone else in F1, were wrapped up in the romance of this wonderful rookie story and wanted to see if the fairytale could become reality.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&PO_ID=41227

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM