Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Time to finalize options - advice please

Sold it but my Ninja had a cool CF muffler. Not sure if it was purely cosmetic or not but liked the way it looked.

Scud Int. Some of the CF would be purely cosmetic & some would be the best material to save weight.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I think what Dan means is that CF interior pieces have about as much to do with true carbon fiber as the aluminium "look" pieces have to do with aluminium. CF interior pieces are just the same old plastic pieces you'd get as stock with a CF style veneer. This is an entirely different animal than a true CF chassis construction as in the cars STRADALE mentions.

A formula 1 car is made from carbon fiber. Those "carbon fiber" vents are just plastic made to appear as if they were made from carbon fiber. I'd bet anything that they weigh marginally more than the stock pieces and they're certainly not any stronger.

To me it looks cheap and fake and is just about the last thing I'd want in my car.

CF is a tremendous material in the hands of an engineer who can use it to reduce weight while retaining strength. Pasting a thin CF veneer on top of plastic interior components is just silly.

I disagree with you entirely. The CF pieces in my 430 are very much like the CF pieces in the Turbo and mostly for appearance. In the 430 there's really no need to make an AC vent surround w/ CF but it still looks ultra slick IMO. CF AC vents, CF outer sills, CF center console all very similar to the CF pieces on the turbo. Getting the CF in the turbo is for looks and no one is trying to say it reduces weight or is stronger who knows maybe it is, maybe it isn't lighter that's not the purpose. The purpose is to create something that is pleasing to you. I love the way the CF looks in a 911. It's no more "silly" than painting the same plastic pieces an exterior color or aluminum or covering the pieces with leather or wood. I think I have good taste matter of fact I always get compliments on the design of my company offices & I happen to love the way the Carbon Fiber weave looks. I mean what did you get in your 911? Did you leave the pieces plastic? If so there's nothing "silly", "Nugget" about that or "fake" or "cheap",,, well actually that's not true the stock plastic does look "cheap" but anyway my point is that get what makes you happy and if replacing plastic with wood or just keeping the look of plastic makes you happy than great.

The purpose of the interior options in a Turbo is purely to make an environment that the owner feels is pleasing to him. But IMO it's one of the most fun things about spec'ing a new 911. And IMO the CF options add a high-tech, high performance, sporty look & feel that added paint or just leather doesn't bring. And is certainly much better looking than the look of the stock plastic. But it's all personal preference/subjective of course. In the interior it's more about the design than it is the performance. A completely stock interior is fine too, not as personal but nothing wrong with it either. Now if Porsche only made the back of the adaptive sport seats in Carbon Fiber like the racing seats they just came out w/ on the GT2 I'd be all set.

I think imcarnuts is setting up a killer Turbo..

This is not my car btw, I just like the picture.

Stradale - I was going to reply to Nugget but there is no need for me to now. You have said it better than I ever could have. THANKS! As far as carbon fiber goes, I don't care if it is wrapped, glued, laminated, or painted - I just like it and it's my money. (or at least my wife lets me think it is)

How about a CF phone? Guess that would be purely cosmetic, dont really need a stronger, lighter phone but looks better imo than if it were just plastic I guess. Like the CF Vents & shifter though. I gotta run.. Have a good day..

Well, I was all set for GT Silver with Cocoa w/Silver Stitching & Carbon Fiber options until I saw Turbocharger's Sea Blue w/white stitching and Carbon interior. Has anybody seen GT Silver with Sea Blue? Any comments on this combination would be appreciated.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Well, I was all set for GT Silver with Cocoa w/Silver Stitching & Carbon Fiber options until I saw Turbocharger's Sea Blue w/white stitching and Carbon interior. Has anybody seen GT Silver with Sea Blue? Any comments on this combination would be appreciated.

If you kept the GT-Silver and went w/ a Black Interior w/ the CF/ added leather & ADDED Silver stitching your car would be insane.

Sorry haven't seen GT-Silver & Blue.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

If you kept the GT-Silver and went w/ a Black Interior w/ the CF/ added leather & ADDED Silver stitching your car would be insane.

I've had probably 10 black interiors, along with a grey and a beige. Just ready for something different. Got daring in my last one & did cocoa and loved it. Only had the cocoa for a short time so it will still seem new to me. The sea blue with GT is intriguing.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

I've had probably 10 black interiors, along with a grey and a beige. Just ready for something different.

Sorry to chime in here but I'm bored and I like to repeat myself.

If you're like me stick with black! Black is the only color to get if you want to downplay the excessive (IMHO) busy-ness of the 997 interior. I mean look at it closely: it's got a nearly dazzling arena of conflicting lines, textures, curves, trims, colors, buttons, materials: everything seems to be going every which way.

Some people don't mind it: I have no problem with that ("God" bless them).

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

I've had probably 10 black interiors, along with a grey and a beige. Just ready for something different. Got daring in my last one & did cocoa and loved it. Only had the cocoa for a short time so it will still seem new to me. The sea blue with GT is intriguing.

Gotcha.... The GT-Silver & Blue might be nice then...Perhaps blue w/ siver stitch?

I suspect Arctic might actually match Sea Blue better...

Regardless of the love-hate thing with carbon, NO ONE does Carbon like Ferrari. No question about it. I drove two F430's in the past few months, and I'm not big on carbon, but it just works in the F-car. And it's done to perfection.

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    Regardless of the love-hate thing with carbon, NO ONE does Carbon like Ferrari. No question about it. I drove two F430's in the past few months, and I'm not big on carbon, but it just works in the F-car. And it's done to perfection.

I added the CF steering wheel/F1 paddles at the last minute on my F430 & when the car came I was so psyched I did. Cosmetically the CF steering wheel is the nicest piece of the interior. Agree, they are on another level. Also have the center console/ inner & outer sills & racing seats in CF in my F430. In addition to the CF AC Vents surrounds. Love the way it looks inside.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM