Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CAB owners, who has the hard top and how often do

you use it? Worth it? Just bought a 2006 C4S Cab for 1/2 of what it would have cost new in Canada from MSRP 2006, bringing in from USA, wanted a coupe but the cab was just too well priced!

Re: CAB owners, who has the hard top and how often do

Put it on in the fall, take it out in the spring... That's the only use of the hardtop really. For more frequent use, get one of the harnesses where the roof hangs from the ceiling, making it a one person job to put it on and off. I couldn't have peace of mind with the roof hanging by a thread over the car all the time though

I had it the last 7 years on 3 different cars (was inclusive at the 996). I used it for the winter, and bothered me every sunshine. I wkould never buy it again. Have to add, that I drive this is my sunshine car, have two other cars for daily usage!

Further on, the softop is isolated and fits well. No wind noises. With the Hardtop I had more problems that it had wind noises and sometimes water came in.

Forgot to add - it was always a issue where to put the Top when not in use. I have a big house, but whereever I put it, it is a topic not to scratch it, it is anywhere in the way or whatever.

So - much easier without the Top!

Soft tops are also much better than they used to for winter months...

Re: CAB owners, who has the hard top and how often

Quote:
    JUPJAI said:
    Just bought a 2006 C4S Cab

Sorry to say your decision has probably been made: forget about the hard top.

The hard top is very expensive unless you order one when you order the car.

(I'm not 100% sure about this but it's what cab guys have said in the past).

Not worth the $$ unless you live in an area where vandalism or theft is a concern.

I had a friend who bought one, and it sat in the basement of the office ALL THE TIME. In the 3 years he had his car, it was on for a total of 3 months and that was only b/c some a-hole slashed his soft top with a knife!

I didn't get it for the aforementioned reasons, and to me it makes the car look like a turtle with an oversized shell-a bit awkward.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    I didn't get it for the aforementioned reasons, and to me it makes the car look like a turtle with an oversized shell-a bit awkward.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the look either. BUT it's not a deal breaker for a guy/gal who wants a Cab.

I use mine periodically when certain conditions dictate. I also like the fact that it does give the car a different look. Certainly not as clean as the coupe but a different look nontheless. Sadly, the hardtop is nothing like the original hardtops that Porsche made for the mid-to-late 1980s 911 cabriolets. On a dark car you could not see the difference between a hard-top equipped cab and a coupe. These are a compromise. I use it quite a bit considering where I live. (For example, we had significant ash fall from this summer's brush fires. It allowed me to keep the soft top from getting exposed to all that mess). I usually put it on when I'm heading to ski country, too.

Dan

Dan, that pic makes me nervous.

And the rear tires look even wider in that pic.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I use mine periodically when certain conditions dictate. I also like the fact that it does give the car a different look. Certainly not as clean as the coupe but a different look nontheless. Sadly, the hardtop is nothing like the original hardtops that Porsche made for the mid-to-late 1980s 911 cabriolets. On a dark car you could not see the difference between a hard-top equipped cab and a coupe. These are a compromise. I use it quite a bit considering where I live. (For example, we had significant ash fall from this summer's brush fires. It allowed me to keep the soft top from getting exposed to all that mess). I usually put it on when I'm heading to ski country, too.

Dan

I also agree it is a great pic, like always from you if I may add.

Here's a little less nerve-wreaking photo of the hardtop. (I knew I had it around someplace). The hardtop is a handy option for the right conditions. I like it, too, as the rear window is larger even than that on the coupe. Improves rear vis.

In my eyes, the hardtop looks less ostentatious with the right wheels. Dan's Carrera Sport rims look very convenient vor this, the Carrera S and CarreraClassic rims are a bit more elegant yet don't focus the beholder's eye as much as the above mentioned. That said, those Sport rims are quite appropriate to me for that type of car.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Definitely would be _worse_ if the wheels were missing from the picture.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

We're not so affluent here - the car would have been left on bricks, not nice jacks

Nice picture of a Santa Barbara 5 o'clock sunset in progress. The picture made me wonder...why are the brake calipers on the rear wheels in the "front" of the rotors, while on the front wheels, they are "behind" the rotors. I suppose the rear brakes have greater braking power positioned as they are (?), while the front ones' position reduces "forward" weight, or something along those lines?

Had a hardtop on my 996 and did not like it.With the 997 i don't need or miss it at all.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

And the rear tires look even wider in that pic.

LoL!! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking! LoL!!

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Here's a little less nerve-wreaking photo of the hardtop. (I knew I had it around someplace). The hardtop is a handy option for the right conditions. I like it, too, as the rear window is larger even than that on the coupe. Improves rear vis.

I agree, gives your car an interesting look almost Speedster like.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the look either. BUT it's not a deal breaker for a guy/gal who wants a Cab.

Hey! That's my car!

That was last winter, the first winter with the car and my first with a hardtop. The softtop is significantly better than any I've had before (this is my fifth from a variety of brands including a 986). But the hardtop is quieter than the soft, has a bigger rear window, and makes the car feel very 'coupe-like' during the winter months.

And I really hate it in March/April when you get that odd warm day and can't get the top off. It's a two person job unless you have a hoist like Dan. I tried a DIY hoist with comical results (ask my wife someday).

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

We're not so affluent here - the car would have been left on bricks, not nice jacks

Jacks? What jacks?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

I agree, gives your car an interesting look almost Speedster like.

This is the first cab that looks cool with the hard top. Timeless color choice Dan.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778160 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262959 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261219 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85473 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5706 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880881 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816504 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM