Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordered a '08 4S Cab What did I Miss?

Ordered a '08 4S Cab in Meteor Gray, Black Top, Black Full Leather, Adaptive Seats, Heated Seats, Nav, Bose, SS Threshold, Crest in Headrest, Wheel Caps w Colored Crest, Parking Assist System, Self Dimmnig Mirrors, Floor Mats, and Tiptronic (I know but its my comuter car in Northern VA).

What did I miss (or should change) that the collective group thinks is a "must"?

Best deal I could get was 1500 off MSRP. That certainly wasnt stellar. Nov build with a Dec delivery... so they say.

Thanks

Re: Ordered a '08 4S Cab What did I Miss?

Save the money and forget the nav, by the time you take delivery it will be obsolete, all else great. Best Luck

I don't know if you are already locked in with your local P-dealer but when I was doing my research prior to buying my C2S last summer, Cascade Porsche in Cuyahoga Falls, OH quoted me a 6% discount on an ordered '07. I inquired there after someone on this forum had posted his significant savings on an ordered car there. I ended up buying an in stock car from a dealer about 4 hours away from my home for an 8% discount. My local dealer is relatively small and will not discount significantly. My local dealer is servicing my car and has provided me great service so far (some worry about not buying from the local dealer for this reason).

You will get different opinions here about sports chrono--most people who like it like it because of the "sport button" which will remap your throttle giving you a more sporty feel. Most of those who don't like say it is because of the relatively useless chronograph in the dash. I have it but am not totally sure I would order it again. It does provide you some additional functionality allowing you to modify certain options in your PCM to change things such as automatic door locking options and passenger side mirror tilt while backing, and other settings that would otherwise need to be reprogrammed at the dealer.

However, I believe a majority of us would recommend PSE (sport exhaust). I had mine installed last week and I love the new sound. This can also be retrofitted by your dealer for slightly more than it costs as an option too.

Your other options seem in line with what I would choose. Are you staying with the standard S-wheels--I love my Sport Wheels. Good luck!

No PSE? forget the crest in headrest and colored wheelcaps, get the best 997 option !! :-)
    Nice colors ! Enjoy the wait!

Thanks for the feedback... nice to know I got the basics correct. Curious why there is strong support for the PSE? It doesnt improve performance from what I can tell and only make the car louder when engaged. What dont I understand?

Either push for significant discount or wait for April facelift.

If you want to for pre-facelift, I'd add leather rear console to your list.

I had SS door sills. When I traded car they were all scratched up from the gritty soles of people's shoes.

They came with a small piece of "Scotch Bright" pad which I guess was supposed to remove scratches. Since some scratches were very deep, SS is very difficult to machine AND finish was so delicate and uniform, I avoided any use of the SB pad.

In retrospect I wouldn't have gotten SS sills. Just one more thing to "worry" about. You can plan to cover tthem with clearbra material but they'll still get scratchy looking (?).

SNEAKY WHEEL CAP TRICK:

Get plain stock wheel caps with car.

Then order colored wheel caps from your parts dept.

Will cost the same as the option except you'll have a spare set of wheel caps for "free."

IMO, the embossed leather "Porsche" and insignia adds too much clutter in an already busy interior. Besides, what are you saying? EVERYbody already knows it's a Porshche.

I guess if I bought some stock shares in Porsche I'd be happier to be getting the word around by getting it embossed "everywhere."

Quote:
    JamZero said:
    Thanks for the feedback... nice to know I got the basics correct. Curious why there is strong support for the PSE? It doesnt improve performance from what I can tell and only make the car louder when engaged. What dont I understand?

Some people get off on "vroom vroom." I admit I like it too. BUT not at the expense of: inciting residents of a neighborhood or other drivers on the road to use their cell phones to report me to the cops for "speeding and wreckless driving."

I've got the SS door sills on my C2S and they look so cool at night when they light up I don't care about the scratches. I also tell people to watch their feet when they get in. My dealer told me not to bother with the PSE as there are no performance gains. For the same price you can buy race headers and aftermarket mufflers and get another 10 - 15 hp out of it.

MUST's that you didn't list IMO:
    - SPORT CHRONO in Combo w/ PSE - (especially since it is a cab)
    - Can you get XPA (thicker steering wheel) w/ tip? If so it's well worth it imo. / best interior option.
    - Crests in headrests look really good especially in a cabriolet with adaptive seats.

ALSO looks good:
    - leather sunvisors.
    - Leather rear center consule
    - Leather inner sills
    - Leather door finisher's

What I would "CHANGE":
    Don't like colored crests on the wheels & imo the parking helper is un-needed on such a small sports car and doesn't look good.

I agree with STRADALE.

Also, I'm quite sure you would be very happy with the PCCB: the difference in the amount of brake dust on my Cayenne S vs my C4S Cab ( w/ PCCB) alone makes the option worth it in my opinion .

Congrats, sounds like a very beautiful P-car!!!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    I agree with STRADALE.

Also, I'm quite sure you would be very happy with the PCCB: the difference in the amount of brake dust on my Cayenne S vs my C4S Cab ( w/ PCCB) alone makes the option worth it in my opinion .

Congrats, sounds like a very beautiful P-car!!!

PCCBs - I agree before anyting.

Sport chrono is a must.

PSE is a personal choice. I never liked it. It never sounds right imo. It's either too loud or not loud enough, depending at how fast the engine is running.

For a commuter, I'd prefer the std exhaust, but with alu tail pipes.

PCCB on a c4s is not useful at all. Don't bother, not to mention that you're gonna reach turbo money. Std brakes are enough if you don't intend to race your car

U got to have nav, and sports chrono with PSE. PCCB, not necessarily, but the brake dust is quite annoying.

X51!!!

Sport Chrono with PSE. Having the option to hear the PSE or not when the top is down is a nice plus.

I like the throttle mapping A LOT. I just wish it came without the chrono clock on the dash.

You missed a trick

I would cancel your order and re-order an 09. If the stories are correct you will get to almost X51 performance without paying $16K for a few extra ponies.

In the meantime take a used 997 off the lot and save yourself a bundle. Find what you like/dislike about the car and then order exactly what you want and have the latest and shiniest when the 09 is launched.

As some of the options may change on the 09 i would not waste my time worrying until the dealer tells me I have 48 hours to decide.

As to PCCB's and Sport Chrono ask yourself a couple of questions:

What's the replacement cost of discs for PCCB's? Is this reasonable?

What performance gains do you get from Sport Chrono? Can I get more performance for the same money?

Then decide if you want to order them still.

Stay with what you really want. I ordered everything I wanted and nothing more. And, it was worth the wait.
    All best wishes.
    -Jay

Obviously, there has been some very good advice here. My picks would mirror many of them;
    -Sport Chrono (An absolute must not only a major benefit from throttle mapping and suspension settings, but resale will suffer if you don't have it.)
    -Bose
    -Crests headrest
    -Model logo center console
    -Nav.
    -Sport adaptive seats w/full power
    -Full leather
    -Sport exhaust
    -Auto dimming mirror
    -Heated seats
    -With Meteor Grey, definately get the wheel color matched wheels.
    -6 speed, just kidding!

I would also wait for the facelift and hp bump. Like he said, almost x51 performance for free.

As a counter-point, I think Sport Chrono is among the most useless options available. It doesn't make the car any faster and it's ugly. The suspension settings and PSE control are not related to (and do not require) sport chrono at all.

The only marginal benefit of Sport Chrono is the relaxed PSM stability settings which in practice I have not found to be worthwhile. I'd skip it if I were buying again (new or used)

I think rear console in leather is worth the expense, particularly if you have a lighter interior. It's less obvious in black, but in grey/beige/brown interiors the center console looks plasticy and cheap if you don't get the leather option.

I find heated seats to be invaluable in a cab, even living in Austin Texas where it feels like it's 100F all year round. In cooler climates I think you'll find them even more useful.

Do yourself a favor. Go to Porsche's webpage and look up Sport Chrono under chassis. It will describe how dynamic it really is. It is MUCH more than a clock atop the dash and enhanced throttle mapping, and even more advantageous if you are opting for tip.

It MAY not be as desireable to a extremely capable driver as it is to one that is less capable, but for the masses it is a benefit (imo). In addition to boosting PSM's threshold, it also enhances the sound of the exhaust with or without PSE. With the touch of a single button the car tranforms itself into a much more sporting ride. It is not any faster, per se, but it is much more involving.

Lastly, some here may not want SC, but I can tell you from buying and selling a few of these cars that your resale will suffer far more from the lack of SC than missing the minority of buyers who don't want it. And, most dealers will want it. (I would agree that it would be nice to have the option of SC w/o the clock but it is what it is. And, the clock is not that bad imo. I rather like it.)

I guess, yeah, with a tip it might actually make a difference. In a manual, car, though -- it doesn't do a thing beyond the "fake" throttle map change and the PSM relaxation. It certainly doesn't make a non-PSE exhaust sound any different.

The associated benefits with PSE and PASM do not require Sport Chrono to achieve. If you don't have Sport Chrono you can still make PSE loud and still make PASM "sport" with those buttons on the dash.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I guess, yeah, with a tip it might actually make a difference. In a manual, car, though -- it doesn't do a thing beyond the "fake" throttle map change and the PSM relaxation. It certainly doesn't make a non-PSE exhaust sound any different.

The associated benefits with PSE and PASM do not require Sport Chrono to achieve. If you don't have Sport Chrono you can still make PSE loud and still make PASM "sport" with those buttons on the dash.

You can, but the sound IS different imo. My Porsche tech and I discussed this and he believes as I do. Maybe so maybe not, but I have noticed a discernable difference.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Do yourself a favor. Go to Porsche's webpage and look up Sport Chrono under chassis. It will describe how dynamic it really is. It is MUCH more than a clock atop the dash and enhanced throttle mapping, and even more advantageous if you are opting for tip.

It MAY not be as desireable to a extremely capable driver as it is to one that is less capable, but for the masses it is a benefit (imo). In addition to boosting PSM's threshold, it also enhances the sound of the exhaust with or without PSE. With the touch of a single button the car tranforms itself into a much more sporting ride. It is not any faster, per se, but it is much more involving.

Lastly, some here may not want SC, but I can tell you from buying and selling a few of these cars that your resale will suffer far more from the lack of SC than missing the minority of buyers who don't want it. And, most dealers will want it. (I would agree that it would be nice to have the option of SC w/o the clock but it is what it is. And, the clock is not that bad imo. I rather like it.)

SC is a must have IMHO.

I am curious as to how activating SC on a car without PSE can have any influence on the sound of the exhaust.

SC option is a "must have" with the tiptronic..

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    SC option is a "must have" with the tiptronic..

Yeah, sounds like it. It's still a bit of a joke on a manual, but looking through the sales brochure it sounds like SC has a tangible impact on tip cars and I'm inclined to agree.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    I am curious as to how activating SC on a car without PSE can have any influence on the sound of the exhaust.

I don't have any tangible evidence to support my claim other than what I posted above. I will say that my guess is that when SC in activated and the engine takes on the more aggressive (albiet front loaded) mapping, the exhaust takes on a slighly more aggressive sound as a result. If I am wrong, I'll eat crow -as they say. But, can anyone here really refute this; technically speaking? If so, feel free. I am always happy to learn something new.

Remember, after running in the engine for more than 5-6K and thinking that the engine felt slightly more powerful and that the exhaust barked a bit more? (We all know that this is due to the engine being broken in and having better sealing properties.) Well, I am suggesting that when the engine is getting the inceased fuel/air ratio it is sounding more throaty because of it. Or, am I also wrong to assume that with engaged SC, fuel/air is not increased (initial throttle only.)?

The SC does not result in the engine getting an increased fuel/air ratio. It just results in it getting the same ratio, just a few millimeters sooner as far as pedal travel is concerned. There's nothing different between "SC throttle, 20% of pedal travel" and "normal throttle, 40% of pedal travel".

If you want the car to make the same noise with SC off, just push the pedal a bit farther down.

If you're flooring the pedal all the way down, there's no difference at all.

Quote:
    boardrider said:
    Save the money and forget the nav, by the time you take delivery it will be obsolete, all else great. Best Luck

Huh? Navigation is a must. All you have to do is buy new software every couple of years to stay up to date with the latest maps.

David

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263143 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5832 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881137 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817784 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM