Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT Facelift

In my opinion I believe Porsche are a bit confused on what to do, sales are low and they need to do something to the carrera asap as in a facelift. On the other hand people will find the carrera more attractive to own than (LED, PDK ...) to own than a turbo with bulbs and stick gear lever.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Looks like the 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo is getting a little touch up. This prototype spotted in Germany looks like the current model, but we noticed a few minor changes that indicate an imminent midcycle refresh. The front end is unmolested as far as we can tell, but the rear end has new taillights with LEDs and a slightly different lens arrangement. Reshaped tailpipes indicate a reworked exhaust, so there could be a few extra horsepower on tap for a car that's already one of the fastest we've ever tested. Look for an official debut early next year.

Thanks so much for the pics!

That's very hot! I love it, plus the new exhaust probably produce better sound and more hp.

Any news about the new CF GT2 seats? Do you think that will be part of the option for new TT?

What about something like Ipod etc? Any new things for the face-lifted version?

You can already select the CF seats for the Turbo, they're pictured in the 2008 turbo brochure:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Catalogue_911-turbo_MY08_PCNA.pdf

Thank you for the link.

I feel so exciting, can't wait to spec my perfect car.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Thank you for the link.

Do you think that the facelift looks better than the original?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Thank you for the link.

Do you think that the facelift looks better than the original?

YES!

Suspect P will quietly/overtly update/debug PASM/PTM/PSM, etc for faster/smarter/more networked chassis elements in 997TT 2.0....and if chassis is as "smart"/active/networked as is 599's (which is already 1yo+ tech), the Luddite gearbox may not be compatible w/the various chassis networks....as is case w/599, where F1 is apparently only gearbox compatible w/chassis networks....

Perhaps overestimating ability of P chassis engineers to catch up w/tech advances of 599/Scud chassis engineering teams....

In any case, just told my P dealer I want first 997TT 2.0 avail upon launch....will have to do own comparos on my favorite roads....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Suspect P will quietly/overtly update/debug PASM/PTM/PSM, etc for faster/smarter/more networked chassis elements in 997TT 2.0....and if chassis is as "smart"/active/networked as is 599's (which is already 1yo+ tech), the Luddite gearbox may not be compatible w/the various chassis networks....as is case w/599, where F1 is apparently only gearbox compatible w/chassis networks....

Perhaps overestimating ability of P chassis engineers to catch up w/tech advances of 599/Scud chassis engineering teams....

In any case, just told my P dealer I want first 997TT 2.0 avail upon launch....will have to do own comparos on my favorite roads....

What means 2.0?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It looks like a forced change for the sake of a change rather than based on a design improvement.

Very well said.

Agree. But, few things:

-PSE based on GT2 exhaust do not fit in to the current 997 Turbo rear bumper-new bumper design as seen on this pics is required
    -current 997 Turbo is more or less close relative to Carrera/Targa models so, facelift on all 997 models actually make sense from Manufactoring point of view
    -new PSE is required for new X50 power kit(read above)
    -gearbox option will remain the same FOR 997 Turbo
    -just introduced GT2 will be affected with this facelift as well
    -MY2009 will be introduced pretty early in 2008(read early summer)
    -it will be more expensive with more options to choose
    -improved PTM setup on 997 Turbo(rumor!)

My end comment: Money, Money, Money!

Don't worry, with Porsche recent scorecard, it will still not have bluetooth or iPod connector or PDK

Hard to get excited about the facelift, it should have come like this when the TT was introduced, leading the facelift on the regular 997, like it was the case with the 996.
    IO would be p*** off also if I had a 997TT right now or on order, can't help thinking the current TT was rushed out the door, PTM fiasco and all.

Are you going to postpone your order Kreso ?
    I was convinced a turbo facelift would be impossible , logic dictated this if you consider GT2 and Cabrio release.
    Apparently there is no logic anymore at Porsche.

Quote:
    993S said:
    Are you going to postpone your order Kreso ?
    I was convinced a turbo facelift would be impossible , logic dictated this if you consider GT2 and Cabrio release.

No Dennis, what is done is done...
    I fully agree with you-NO logic at all except new quest for money...

Ok. Now, do you plan to trade yours for facelift one next year?

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    BTW - the front lights will have a completly new mimic, too!

Yes, the car looks cross-eyed .

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    I forgot to mention: the 997 Turbo facelift isn't "official" yet, just the 997 Carrera facelift. Maybe there is still a good chance that no facelift is coming, the most p.ss.d off customers would be 997 Turbo Cab customers and especially GT2 customers. I can't imagine that Porsche didn't think about it.

According to email that I just receive from my Motorpresse friend there will be 997 Turbo facelift. Your info is accurate as always...
    It seems that new GT2 will be facelifted as well-I do not know what to say about that...

terrible news....

Quote:
    993S said:

I quote you in all...

One of the great things about Porsche was their continuity in design. Some details on those current cars, especially on the Turbo and GT2, do not stand the cars' overall appereance and quality anymore. If it is only intended to convince current customers to change to an updated version than I'd have to think twice to obtain a current model Porsche from now on.

Don't know why people are suprised by this. Porsche is no different than all of the other car manufacturers that have fallen into the minor refresh every two to three years with new major platform changes every 6 year cycle.

Think of BMW for example, which introduces new body styles with basically old engines that are then replaced by updated engines two years later with comestic changes. Its the reality of the car manufacturers today.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    do you plan to trade yours for facelift one next year?

No , I have a Ferrari on order for 2009/10 delivery (either California GT of F430 replacement), ordered already in 05 so I am sure to be getting one of the first. Still have time to decide which one it will be , waiting for more info on both but the agreement with my dealer is if I do not like the California GT I can transfer my order to F430 replacement.

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    993S said:

I quote you in all...

i've an order for a turbo, it arrive in november...

what I do!!!!!

Unless you are ready to wait one year, stick with the original plan...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Agree. But, few things:

-PSE based on GT2 exhaust do not fit in to the current 997 Turbo rear bumper-new bumper design as seen on this pics is required
    -current 997 Turbo is more or less close relative to Carrera/Targa models so, facelift on all 997 models actually make sense from Manufactoring point of view
    -new PSE is required for new X50 power kit(read above)
    -gearbox option will remain the same FOR 997 Turbo
    -just introduced GT2 will be affected with this facelift as well
    -MY2009 will be introduced pretty early in 2008(read early summer)
    -it will be more expensive with more options to choose
    -improved PTM setup on 997 Turbo(rumor!)

My end comment: Money, Money, Money!

My end comment to Porsche: F*ck you

I could even fully agree with you...

BUT, I simply do not like the way 599 GTB looks(and its 20th Centuary safety standard).

So, I am in pretty akward position...

SO, Herr Wendelin Wiedeking is probably singing right now:
    "Oh my God PDK is in my ass! Oh, in my ass!
    It feels very good! Indeed very good!
    Costumers will get it... Strictly from my ass!!"

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

BUT, I simply do not like the way 599 GTB looks(and its 20th Centuary safety standard).

Sounds like you could join Porsche's board of directors immediately Your logic in your above post is very consistent with the way these guys think

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    ps: Don't like the new rear tail lights at all. The LED's are going to be cool but the shape is awful imho. Weird, one of the best things about the exterior of the 997 they're going to screw up.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the new tail lights. It's going to take getting use to. I wonder how the design of such things gets approved.

It looks like a forced change for the sake of a change rather than based on a design improvement. The Turbo is far from a beautiful car but the rear of the car where the wing, tail lights & rear deck lid, back bumper (above the exhaust outlets) meet is my favorite part of the car. imho they're screwing with one of the nicest parts of the turbo for the worse. These new lights look like someone left camo on the car.

Do you really want to say that the black part in the tail lights will still be there when the car comes to the customers?

I always thought this area will be red as in case of the new Cayenne tail lights?

These changes will not be noticed by the public. Only hard nose Porschephiles will notice. They are not the marketing segment Porsche is catering to.

So, no need to worry.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    These changes will not be noticed by the public. Only hard nose Porschephiles will notice. They are not the marketing segment Porsche is catering to.

So, no need to worry.

Nick,

Good to see fellow law man back!

And I agree fully with your post...

I spoke with my dealer yesterday, and he said their allocation for the GT2 will likely be 2008 builds as 2009 models (and I'm first on that list ), so I'll have to follow here for "updates" on the "GT2 facelift" before ordering. Perhaps this will give me time to assess the GT2's most important characteristic-performance-from independent sources, as well as give tuners time to take a crack at "tweaking" the car a bit.

And of course this begs the question, if the GT2 might also get cosmetic surgery, and if the Turbo is facelifted with cardiac surgery, as well (DI and 500HP), would the GT2 also gain a few more ponies to get it to 550?

My us$.02:

BFD. I mean the TT exhaust tips and their apertures are atrocious and they've not corrected them a bit.

They've apparently ditched the original pointy oval lights and so the tips still look screwed up; maybe worse. (IOW, at least the original pointy-oval tailights _try_ to match up with the exhaust TT tips, but not anymore.

Just underscores my belief that, unlike the Italians, the Germans will never get the whole visual/scuptural package looking perfect.

I'll still "tolerate" my defective TT because the facelift isn't much better.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    It was for sure, that they will bring the LED Taillights not only on the Carrera's!

Thanks for the Pictures! It will be much more interesting what else they change (corner lights, etc.)

LED lights, corner lights, maybe some sort of nightvision/head display system (not 100% yet).
    Unfortunately, the 997 Turbo won't get a significant power upgrade, maybe a couple of horses (up to 495) but nothing more. Actually, the latest info is: no power upgrade at all.
    To satisfy power hungry people, the powerkit should be available shortly after facelift introduction next year.

How Shortly? The non-availability of the powerkit and PSE are the only two things that are holding me from ordering the car.

I love the new taillights, I think they look fantastic, if only Porsche would bring back the 996 Turbo headlights design, then the Turbo will be special again, it will make the Turbo stands out more than the regular 911s as the current one still looks too much like a regular one to the untrained eye.

911 Turbo technically is NOT 599's competitor, as a matter of fact Porsche don't really have one to go against the 599 so direct comparison between what goes in either car is kinda pointless, comparing the Turbo to the 430 however is fair game.

I too was a little bit bum out when I heard the Turbo will be part of the facelift, BUT, on second thought, I already had my Turbo for exactly one year today, and the facelift is going to be the NEXT model year which means by then my car will be 3 years old, so a facelift to a 3 year old model is fair game, those pesky Japanese do it every 2 years.

For people who buys the Turbo as a toy, a face lift just means they have an extra excuse to trade in for another toy, it makes no difference to them.

For people who play the wait and see game, there is really no end to the wait, there will ALWAYS be something a little better, a little different, with more equipment, etc around the corner, when do one draw the line and say that's it, I am done waiting and gonna get one? The waiting game will always be a losing one.

Now for those who have already spec-ed out theirs but is still waiting for it to be build, if you like the new one better, you might as well wait another year to get that one, for those who like the pre-facelift version better, it will be a great excuse to squeeze extra discount

For those waiting for the powerkit or S versions, you maybe getting the most top of line one but those only come out at the tail end of a production cycle, especially the Turbo S, which means while the car will be the greatest one of the series, it will also means that it will only have a year or so shelf life before it's old news compared with the completely new 998.
    These stff are just there to boost sales of the tail end productions.

Well,I hated Porsche for doing stuff this way, I wished they would make all versions available from the beginning but it will not be a good businss practice for them. The guy paying the most money should have the most time enjoying their car, not the revere.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Well said...

Agree...if 599/Scud had acceptable passive safety, both P/AMG would be irrelevant and obsolete for me....would use 599 or Scud as my only 365d/yr daily/wkend car....

997TT is fugly (like 599 )...silly changes to lights, etc mean little to me....but if 997TT tech advances (PDK, PSE, turbo lag reduc, PASM/PTM/PSM refinements, etc) are interesting, will get a 997TT 2.0 as wkend twisties car to compare vs latest F/AMG....and will trade-in losers of the comparo....

Interestingly, see several jaded colleagues who own both 599/CL63 driving their 599 far less often after CL63 arrival (and, in some cases, trading-in 599 until Scud arrives)....suspect CL63 will continue to dominate as most useable/enjoyable daily/wkend car for those obsessed w/overall perf/safety/tech/comfort/daily-useability....unless P will surprise us....or SL63 BlkSeries surprises w/comparable useability on street tires....or Scud proves exciting enough for otherwise rational guys to become far less risk-averse and actually drive it often....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777003 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441627 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260899 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85159 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880604 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815804 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM