Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Sports Exhaust - 1st Impressions

As I previously advised, I've decided to retro-fit PSE to my Boxster S. (Well SWMBO's Boxster S to be strictly correct)

Collected the car on my return from Scotland this afternoon. (Off topic but Ryanair extremely good, brand new Boeing 737-800, comfortable, bang on time both out and return with friendly and efficient mainly Irish hostesses).

Car starts and idles with a gruff burble, much more menacing sounding than before. I've had the exhaust installed without the on/off switch (permanently on), this also avoids the automatic switching back to normal exhaust between around 30 -50mph to comply with drive by noise regulations.

Driving back home from Bournemouth on a variety of different roads, gave a good trial of the system, roof down of course. Moving off it is immediately obvious, the refinement of the standard car's exhaust gone. The volume varies from loud at light throttle openings and low revs to almost a deafening bellow at full revs and max throttle. A noticeable popping can be heard on the over-run as well, particularly at lowish speeds. At cruise it settles back to a background noise but the muted bellow is still noticeable, particularly when accelerating past other cars where the sound echoes back. It would be amazing in tunnels!

Back home looking at the installation the twin tail pipes are about 10mm lower than before, to allow for a new cross-over pipe between the silencer boxes, runnning above and parallel with the standard cross pipe where the outlet to the tailpipe takes off. Outboard of each of these two silencers is a by-pass pipe with an associated butterfly valve which closes this by-pass in "normal" mode (or it would if the switch and electrics were fitted). The complete exhaust aft of the catalytic converters is new.

Price : Pounds1,250 + Pounds200 to supply, fit and activate the on/off switch.

I'll post more impressions after our forthcoming weeks tour to Brittany, but at the moment I am undecided whether or not to have the switch fitted and connected up. I'm more inclined to have it fitted at the moment so one can be discreet if in the mood. I'll also crawl under and post some pictures of the new system.

Re: Porsche Sports Exhaust - 1st Impressions

Sounds (!) good!
    Ejoy your trip and report back.

Soundclips please!
    This is like TALKING about sex. We need samples!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Soundclips please!

What samples would you like of my sex life?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Soundclips please!

Eugh!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Thanks, now I have a disturbing image etched on my retina...I have gone blind....seriously...I am blind!!!!!!! HELP!!!!

We want more than just "it goes wrrooom-wroom"! (And I am not talking about unspecified battery operated gizmos for personal use in strange and dark places....)

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    We want more than just "it goes wrrooom-wroom"!

Happy to oblige dear boy BUT The Original IT Dinosaur may want some tekkie (or is it "tacky") help with this one. How do I download sounds here? I don't have a digital videocam, just a analogue Hi8. Think I can record some sound on my Sony digital still camera, though.

Many congrats DC - I'm sure you're going to enjoy having PSE very much just like me.

Nice report - i would imagine you will be getting the switch fitted fairly soon, as i detect you are already concenred about the noise and boominess if left open at all times.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Nice report - i would imagine you will be getting the switch fitted fairly soon, as i detect you are already concenred about the noise and boominess if left open at all times.

Correct - but no cost savings if fitted at the same time so I thought I'd try it out first. Already spoken to OPC this morning and will confirm one way or the other after our Brittany trip.

Suggest you buy some ear plugs from Boots for 99p , just in case !

Enjoy your trip - i recently did a weekend to Champagne (1100 miles) and thought my standard exhaust note (a bit noiser now the miles are at 20k)was just about right for the length of trip and top down motoring.

An odd occassion i'd have liked it a bit noisier, but not for more than a few minutes.

One BMW driver who was with me for the trip (awaiting new M3) was very impressed with the standard exhaust note when following me - considering he was driving a 3 series saloon with the windows closed i was well chuffed

DC, record with your phone or ur old camcorder.
    Then either convert to Mp3 or send it to me.
    I can then upload them to the top international sportscar forum GTPark, and create a link to Rennteam.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Many congrats DC - I'm sure you're going to enjoy having PSE very much just like me.

Need another option on the PCM Nav "Route via Tunnels"

Multi-story carparks on a Sunday morning can be fun... beats mowing the grass

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    Multi-story carparks on a Sunday morning can be fun... beats mowing the grass

Let's see what it's like on the car deck of the ferry tomorrow then

Back from our week touring Brittany and learning to live with pemanently on PSE

When your in the mood it's great but there are times when it's nice to be a bit more discreet. I'll try and do a sound clip (I promise) and post in the near future. Best decription I can come up with while I work out how to make and post a sound clip, if you are familiar with the 007 film Goldeneye it sounds very similar to the DB5 in the Aston / Ferrari 355 scenes at the start of the film at medium revs / throttle at full chat it makes an amazing howl, really loud. There was this long underpass near Quimper that we frequently had to go out of our way to blast through. Awesome

In the meantime I've booked the car into my OPC to have the switch fitted next week. I've asked them if, when "on" it will be "on" all the time, rather than have the namby-pamby euro cut out. They are looking into it, unsure themselves because unlike the previous 986 / 996 PSE the new system is electronically activated in addition to vacuum. OPC did warn me that without the on/off switch the butterfly valves are likely to seize up through lack of operation.

Welcome back, DC
    Hope you and SWMBO had a great time in Brittany. Looking forward to the soundfile

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Welcome back, DC
    Hope you and SWMBO had a great time in Brittany. Looking forward to the soundfile

Thanks, PJ, Brittany report and pics up shortly on the Off Topics Board in the absence of a Tours Board.

Soundfile, well that might take a little longer.

Well installation of quiet /loud switch for the PSE hasn't gone well. Booked the car in last week and took it down this morning to have aforementioned switch fitted. Pre agree that I'd wait as it is only a 2 hour job. After 30 minutes told that it's a 1/2 day job as the exhaust has to be taken off to fit the leads, linkages etc. So they lend me a car (VW Bora V6) and adviseme it would be ready lunchtime. So I leave house keys etc in the car at Bournemouth. An hour later i get a phone call advising that a small wiring loom is needed - and they didn't order it. Will be in tomorrow. They ferry my keys up to me in Southampton and as I've got to go away will collect thecar on Saturday AM.

Didn't the 'small wiring loom' come with the original set of parts??

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Didn't the 'small wiring loom' come with the original set of parts??

No because I originally ordered the PSE without the switch. PSE came with the wire braided hose which connects the two butterfly valves up, rubber hose for the electro/vacuum switch, the e/v device itself plus nuts, bolts and miscellaneous bits which have resided in a box in the cart boot.

OPC ordered the switch, I saw that this morning, (the whole sub-panel is replaced complete with replacements for the existing switches for Gurney wing, PASM, PSM and the new PSE switch) but the wiring loom to connect it all up is a separate order item, even though it is an essential part. I'm sure Sir Humphrey at the Department of Administrative Affairs was involved somewhere

Lack of attention to detail on the part of the OPC garage staff - bloody infuriating. I'm sure soemwhere in the tech guidance they have it would have listed all the necessary parts !

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Lack of attention to detail on the part of the OPC garage staff - bloody infuriating. I'm sure soemwhere in the tech guidance they have it would have listed all the necessary parts !

Agreed - and to add insult to injury they've rung me today and are insisting the loan car is back by 09:00hrs tomorrow morning - so much for a weekend lie-in as the garage is 30 miles away

Thanks dreamcar - great report.

I'm looking at a new Boxster (2.7)and have had trouble getting any factory info on PSE. Does this system provide any improved performance or jusr decibels?

Cheers

Porsche make no claims for extra horses - i don't think the system is any freer flowing so no reason to expect snything. As to decibels, yes and no - more when you want and the same when the legislation kicks in

Quote:
    biscuit said:
    I'm looking at a new Boxster (2.7)and have had trouble getting any factory info on PSE. Does this system provide any improved performance or jusr decibels?
    Cheers

Just decibels. Gas flow has to be slightly improved as when active (butterfly valve open) it does bypass part of the silencer baffles. I can't detect any difference in performance so it would be marginal at best. Certainly don't feel anything when it cuts in or out. I declared the fitment when I renewed my insurance premium and it was unaffected so Porsche Insurance obviously don't reckon any performance gain.

Thanks guys. So the main performance gain is "between the ears" and perhaps that is just as important as a real gain if it heightens the driving pleasure!
    Cheers

Quote:
    biscuit said:
    Thanks guys. So the main performance gain is "between the ears" and perhaps that is just as important as a real gain if it heightens the driving pleasure!
    Cheers

I needed it, as SWMBO frequently tells me I've got nothing else between the ears.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM