Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Excellence reviews 997TT Cab (long - pics)

"I can almost feel and touch the big wing"

Did you see this pic?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Nice color combination. Too bad it looks like all the other 9,000 Porsche's they sell EACH year in California. The actual figure is 8858 but I rounded off the numbers for effect.

"Like" but even cooler yeah? 997 Turbo Cabrio turns out to be awesome looking huh? But there's only so much sex appeal you're going to get from a sports car's shape before it just isn't practicle to use as an everyday sports car.

Did something crazy last weekend and let my father drive my 430 out to the Hamptons. He's a very young 60, likes Sports cars too.. Said the drive home at night was "terrifying". Said 'driving the car at night is kinda like sitting in a hole and not being able to see anyplace but forward.'. Think he eggagerated a bit but honestly have to admit I see his point, the 430 looks amazing but the seating position/cockpit is more like function follows form instead of the other way around..

Still LOVE my 430 though. Sure there are thousands more 430's on the road than 997 Turbo Cab's and that will be true for quite some time but the 430 will be replaced soon so the new Ferrari model wont be more common than the Turbo Cab,,,,,,,, eventually. But until then my 430 Coupe is still a better looking & sexier car than the 997 Turbo.. No doubt. As far as convertibles go the 997 Turbo Cabrio does something for me the 430 Spider just doesnt and obviously I'm putting my money where my mouth is.....If I wanted a 430 Spider I could have one...But I guess if I really just wanted something really,really rare I could probably find a mint 1976 Trans Am somwhere, the one w/ the Screaming Chicken on the hood. Man loved that car..and looks so different than all the other cars on the road too. Plus my old man could borrow it and feel safe that he's not going to turn into the guy next to him....Bet you there's less 1976 Trans Am's than 430's too ! Ya think?

Missed my point. I don't believe in paying almost $200,000 for a car that looks like a $100,000 car (the base 911 cab) which looks like a 996 cab but for the rounded headlights. But hey, its your money and whatever makes you happy.

There it is.
    My second car was a 1979 Trans Am. But the car was modified big time but looked mostly stock from the outside a real sleeper. Engine bored out to over 7 liters, blueprinted, super t-10 tranny, drive shaft from a 1/4 race car, 4 speed, 4.11 gears, edelbrock high rise intake, holly 750 double pumper carb, electric & mechanical fuel pumps, nitrous, etc, etc. etc. I forget most of the mods but the car was done right Mechanically speaking. It was literally that fastest street legal car in my county. I was going to get to the cosmetics later but had to sell the car when I went to college.

My High-School sweat heart (now my wife) is in the pics. Gave her my first car, the blue 74 Camaro in the back ground when I bought the T.A... Don't laugh at my hair-cut it was 1985 and Motley Crue was THE band. LoL!!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Nice color combination. Too bad it looks like all the other 9,000 Porsche's they sell EACH year in California. The actual figure is 8858 but I rounded off the numbers for effect.

"Like" but even cooler yeah? 997 Turbo Cabrio turns out to be awesome looking huh? But there's only so much sex appeal you're going to get from a sports car's shape before it just isn't practicle to use as an everyday sports car.

Did something crazy last weekend and let my father drive my 430 out to the Hamptons. He's a very young 60, likes Sports cars too.. Said the drive home at night was "terrifying". Said 'driving the car at night is kinda like sitting in a hole and not being able to see anyplace but forward.'. Think he eggagerated a bit but honestly have to admit I see his point, the 430 looks amazing but the seating position/cockpit is more like function follows form instead of the other way around..

Still LOVE my 430 though. Sure there are thousands more 430's on the road than 997 Turbo Cab's and that will be true for quite some time but the 430 will be replaced soon so the new Ferrari model wont be more common than the Turbo Cab,,,,,,,, eventually. But until then my 430 Coupe is still a better looking & sexier car than the 997 Turbo.. No doubt. As far as convertibles go the 997 Turbo Cabrio does something for me the 430 Spider just doesnt and obviously I'm putting my money where my mouth is.....If I wanted a 430 Spider I could have one...But I guess if I really just wanted something really,really rare I could probably find a mint 1976 Trans Am somwhere, the one w/ the Screaming Chicken on the hood. Man loved that car..and looks so different than all the other cars on the road too. Plus my old man could borrow it and feel safe that he's not going to turn into the guy next to him....Bet you there's less 1976 Trans Am's than 430's too ! Ya think?

Missed my point. I don't believe in paying almost $200,000 for a car that looks like a $100,000 car (the base 911 cab) which looks like a 996 cab but for the rounded headlights. But hey, its your money and whatever makes you happy.

But you bought a $250,000 430 Spider that looks very much like a $175,000 360 Spider sooooooooooooooooo???????????

I didn't miss your point I just don't agree. Whatever makes you happy too.

Stradale likes this picture.

Quote:
    ADias said:

YES I DO!!

The only way I could get it to copy was to make a print copy and then scan it which obviously reduced the quality.. How'd you do that?

Stradale wrote

"But you bought a $250,000 430 Spider that looks very much like a $175,000 360 Spider sooooooooooooooooo???????????

I didn't miss your point I just don't agree. Whatever makes you happy too."

Let me try again. Everyone agrees that ALL Ferrari's are expensive. Also, most people understand that Porsche's are for the most part under $100,000 cars. Yet, some including you, will pay close to $200,000 for a car that looks like most Porsche's which are under $100,000. Capice? As I said its your money.

BTW, you and your wife make a fine looking couple. If you have children, I am sure they very attractive. Your hair looks good to me. I am almost there in length.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:
    Hard to get a better review than that.

Anyone planning on owning a turbo cab and coupe? Would love to get a side by side comparison from someone on the board.

"SilverRules" just traded his 997 Turbo for an in-coming 997 Turbo Cabrio. He'll be able to.

Anyone here good w/ putting pictures together? Would LOVE to see the picture on pg. 60 & 61 from the above article put together. Anyone??????Bueller???????

Coupe has nice clean lines and everything but man there is nothing like taking the top down when the weather is in the upper 70's. I loved my 997TT coupe specially in white but having the top down and feeling the engine roar in your ear is somthing speciall and it really can't be explained unless you experience it. It's more like riding a motorcycle, you know, like being happy and smiling. If you own a motorcycle you know what I mean.

The TT cab will be as close as you can get to riding a motorcycle. The only coupe I will own in the future will be the GT3 and and I am working on that.

I was at the dealer today and my completion date is Oct 10th. I can almost feel and touch the big wing. Basalt black is so serious looking and unique. CANT WAIT !!!!!

RE: Similiar to a Motorcycle - Agree w/ you there too.

IMO - The Turbo coupes have nicer rooflines compared to the 997 Turbo Cabrio when it's roof is up but the Cabrio looks so much cooler than the coupe when it's dropped it's top. Something about the car as a Cab that has got me so psyched to drive this car. My 996 Turbo Coupe was fun no doubt but I really didn't have a hard time when it came to part w/ it, having the convertible is so much more of an experience.

Can't wait to see pics of your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's Basalt Black/Black Int./Black Top/PCCB's... What other options did you end up ordering?

Greg, my 1st car was a 1978 black transam in high school. so many good memory. I will scan and post the pictures. Here is my spec.

2008 Basalt Black Metallic

Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet Black

0 Miles 6 speed

$154,975 Sold! Delivery 12/25

Scheduled for Production - October

PCCB Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes
    Gear Lever Trim in Leather
    Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
    Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo
    Adaptive Sport Seats
    Rear Center Console in Leather
    Porsche Crest in Headrest
    Axle-Differential Lock Rear
    Heated Front Seats
    3 Spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel
    Fire Extinguisher
    Sport Chrono Package Turbo
    Floor Mats in Interior Color
    Illuminated Stainless Steel Door Entry Guards
    I will post pictures in late november

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    There it is.
    My second car was a 1979 Trans Am. But the car was modified big time but looked mostly stock from the outside a real sleeper. Engine bored out to over 7 liters, blueprinted, super t-10 tranny, drive shaft from a 1/4 race car, 4 speed, 4.11 gears, edelbrock high rise intake, holly 750 double pumper carb, electric & mechanical fuel pumps, nitrous, etc, etc. etc. I forget most of the mods but the car was done right Mechanically speaking. It was literally that fastest street legal car in my county. I was going to get to the cosmetics later but had to sell the car when I went to college.

My High-School sweat heart (now my wife) is in the pics. Gave her my first car, the blue 74 Camaro in the back ground when I bought the T.A... Don't laugh at my hair-cut it was 1985 and Motley Crue was THE band. LoL!!

This is great Greg. You put a big smile on my face. Love these pictures!!!!! You are a lucky guy you know

Quote:
    ADias said:

Holly molly. This picture is awesome. We sure are bunch of lucky guys.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Stradale wrote

"But you bought a $250,000 430 Spider that looks very much like a $175,000 360 Spider sooooooooooooooooo???????????

Let me try again. Everyone agrees that ALL Ferrari's are expensive. Also, most people understand that Porsche's are for the most part under $100,000 cars. Yet, some including you, will pay close to $200,000 for a car that looks like most Porsche's which are under $100,000. Capice? As I said its your money.

BTW, you and your wife make a fine looking couple. If you have children, I am sure they very attractive. Your hair looks good to me. I am almost there in length.

First you were saying you wouldn't want to pay $200,000 for a car when you can buy one that looks similiar for $100,000. Now you're saying you don't want other people to think you're only driving a $100,000 car when you paid $200,000 yes? What you're saying is most people associate a Porsche w/ a price of approx $100k so you wouldn't buy a $200k Porsche because people wont know you are driving a $200k car. Ahhhhhh Nick, Nick, Nick...First off the majority of non-car people really have no idea what these cars cost, they really don't. I had some company over the other day (wife's friends) and this guy was telling us how his dream was always to get a Ferrari. We're taking a drive and he's asking a hundred questions when the most popular question comes up ; "so what's this car cost, one hundred thousand dollars?". Sticker on my F430 is $225k right. Trust me most people don't have a clue how much these cars cost but I see your point.

For the people that DO know these cars they know there's a big difference in cost from a 997 Cab to a Turbo Cab. In addition you're trying to make it sound like you could have a Spider for the price of a TT Cab but there's a huge difference in price. $192k vs $136k . The car I bought is loaded w/ $29,000 in options including PCCB's and even then comes out to $165k not $200k, big difference. A 430 Spider w/ similiar options would cost $100k more. Problem being I don't always want to look like I'm driving a $200k car, most of the time FOR ME, for everyday driving I'd rather have the performance of a $200k car in a car that doesn't scream $200k nor cost $200k. Guess which car accomplishes that. So you could buy a loaded $165k Turbo Cab and get the same /better performance than a $250k Ferrari F430 Spider. A car that is comfortable all the time in any weather day or night and unlike my 2 seater sports car is also great for my wife and kids to come along.

There's not another 2+2 seater convertible in the world that can do what the Turbo Cab can do. None. Not at any cost. But I agree the Turbo Cab doesn't look as expensive as a F430 Spider. Honestly that is a BIG reason I'm buying the car. It's a real PLUS not a negative (for me). Even though I honestly don't care if the Turbo Cab looks like a regular 997 cab to other people (they look very different to me btw), I can understand your point; if you're going to spend $200k on a car you want it to look like a $200k car to other people, but for me w/ this car I'd rather have the opposite. If my co-workers don't think I paid a lot more for my Turbo Cab verses the 997 S Cab then that's great! Really is. It's a big positive for me that it doesn't say 'I just spent $200k on a car'. And to the car nuts, that GET IT they know the TT Cab kicks ass that's great too. Maybe that helps you understand why, maybe it doesn't dun no. I tried to keep it short but obviously didn't do a good job, it's a complicated subject.

Thanks!!! My son is 7 and my daughter is 5 and in our opinion, they're keepers.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:
    Hard to get a better review than that.

Anyone planning on owning a turbo cab and coupe? Would love to get a side by side comparison from someone on the board.

"SilverRules" just traded his 997 Turbo for an in-coming 997 Turbo Cabrio. He'll be able to.

Anyone here good w/ putting pictures together? Would LOVE to see the picture on pg. 60 & 61 from the above article put together. Anyone??????Bueller???????

Coupe has nice clean lines and everything but man there is nothing like taking the top down when the weather is in the upper 70's. I loved my 997TT coupe specially in white but having the top down and feeling the engine roar in your ear is somthing speciall and it really can't be explained unless you experience it. It's more like riding a motorcycle, you know, like being happy and smiling. If you own a motorcycle you know what I mean.

The TT cab will be as close as you can get to riding a motorcycle. The only coupe I will own in the future will be the GT3 and and I am working on that.

I was at the dealer today and my completion date is Oct 10th. I can almost feel and touch the big wing. Basalt black is so serious looking and unique. CANT WAIT !!!!!

RE: Similiar to a Motorcycle - Agree w/ you there too.

IMO - The Turbo coupes have nicer rooflines compared to the 997 Turbo Cabrio when it's roof is up but the Cabrio looks so much cooler than the coupe when it's dropped it's top. Something about the car as a Cab that has got me so psyched to drive this car. My 996 Turbo Coupe was fun no doubt but I really didn't have a hard time when it came to part w/ it, having the convertible is so much more of an experience.

Can't wait to see pics of your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's Basalt Black/Black Int./Black Top/PCCB's... What other options did you end up ordering?

Greg, my 1st car was a 1978 black transam in high school. so many good memory. I will scan and post the pictures. Here is my spec.

2008 Basalt Black Metallic

Porsche 997 Turbo Cabriolet Black

0 Miles 6 speed

$154,975 Sold! Delivery 12/25

Scheduled for Production - October

PCCB Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes
    Gear Lever Trim in Leather
    Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
    Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo
    Adaptive Sport Seats
    Rear Center Console in Leather
    Porsche Crest in Headrest
    Axle-Differential Lock Rear
    Heated Front Seats
    3 Spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel
    Fire Extinguisher
    Sport Chrono Package Turbo
    Floor Mats in Interior Color
    Illuminated Stainless Steel Door Entry Guards
    I will post pictures in late november

Great specs! Got the right logo/crests combo too! I was looking through some pics and came by a few I haven't seen in a while. First is a CGT in Basalt from the NYC Car Show 2006. Then there's some pics taken at the premier of the Turbo also in 2006 /off-site of the NYC auto show. The Basalt Turbo belongs to Ralph Lauren (back then at least)

tt

tt1

tt2

tt3

tt4

tt5

tt6

The turbo cab looks awesome!!!!!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Stradale wrote

First you were saying you wouldn't want to pay $200,000 for a car when you can buy one that looks similiar for $100,000. Now you're saying you don't want other people to think you're only driving a $100,000 car when you paid $200,000 yes? What you're saying is most people associate a Porsche w/ a price of approx $100k so you wouldn't buy a $200k Porsche because people wont know you are driving a $200k car. Ahhhhhh Nick, Nick, Nick...First off the majority of non-car people really have no idea what these cars cost, they really don't. I had some company over the other day (wife's friends) and this guy was telling us how his dream was always to get a Ferrari. We're taking a drive and he's asking a hundred questions when the most popular question comes up ; "so what's this car cost, one hundred thousand dollars?". Sticker on my F430 is $225k right. Trust me most people don't have a clue how much these cars cost but I see your point.

For the people that DO know these cars they know there's a big difference in cost from a 997 Cab to a Turbo Cab. In addition you're trying to make it sound like you could have a Spider for the price of a TT Cab but there's a huge difference in price. $192k vs $136k . The car I bought is loaded w/ $29,000 in options including PCCB's and even then comes out to $165k not $200k, big difference. A 430 Spider w/ similiar options would cost $100k more. Problem being I don't always want to look like I'm driving a $200k car, most of the time FOR ME, for everyday driving I'd rather have the performance of a $200k car in a car that doesn't scream $200k nor cost $200k. Guess which car accomplishes that. So you could buy a loaded $165k Turbo Cab and get the same /better performance than a $250k Ferrari F430 Spider. A car that is comfortable all the time in any weather day or night and unlike my 2 seater sports car is also great for my wife and kids to come along.

There's not another 2+2 seater convertible in the world that can do what the Turbo Cab can do. None. Not at any cost. But I agree the Turbo Cab doesn't look as expensive as a F430 Spider. Honestly that is a BIG reason I'm buying the car. It's a real PLUS not a negative (for me). Even though I honestly don't care if the Turbo Cab looks like a regular 997 cab to other people (they look very different to me btw), I can understand your point; if you're going to spend $200k on a car you want it to look like a $200k car to other people, but for me w/ this car I'd rather have the opposite. If my co-workers don't think I paid a lot more for my Turbo Cab verses the 997 S Cab then that's great! Really is. It's a big positive for me that it doesn't say 'I just spent $200k on a car'. And to the car nuts, that GET IT they know the TT Cab kicks ass that's great too. Maybe that helps you understand why, maybe it doesn't dun no. I tried to keep it short but obviously didn't do a good job, it's a complicated subject.

Def complicated, esp when considering varied reactions of unwashed masses who struggle w/basic arithmetic....and sharper guys.....who can read/count/use the Net ....to quickly figure out what stuff really costs (even if they aren't car guys)....

Perhaps counterintuitive, but, for an annual-repeat buyer in US, fully-optioned/airshipped 430s/599s are free, whereas, even for an annual-repeat P buyer (the profligate few that exist ), loaded 997TTs prob cost $50K in one-yr deprec.....

So a new F (every yr, so lower mtce costs, too ) may actually appeal to a more frugal owner...than a perhaps more extravagant new P every yr (even a mere 997S, let alone a flashy 997TT)....

Quote:
    WBH said:...
    Perhaps counterintuitive, but, for an annual-repeat buyer in US, fully-optioned/airshipped 430s/599s are free, whereas, even for an annual-repeat P buyer (the profligate few that exist ), loaded 997TTs prob cost $50K in one-yr deprec.....

So a new F (every yr, so lower mtce costs, too ) may actually appeal to a more frugal owner...than a perhaps more extravagant new P every yr (even a mere 997S, let alone a flashy 997TT)....

That may be true but you have to agree that that is a contrived market - a quasi-Ponzi scheme. In any case, to be on the dealer's yearly list the initial investment is quite high.

Nick:

Since you follow production numbers so closely do you have yearly world production numbers for:

911 non turbo

911 turbo

Cayman

Boxster

Cayenne

F430

F599

---
    TIA.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Stradale wrote

Def complicated, esp when considering varied reactions of unwashed masses who struggle w/basic arithmetic....and sharper guys.....who can read/count/use the Net ....to quickly figure out what stuff really costs (even if they aren't car guys)....

The "Net" is filled w/ people posting from fantasy land.

Oooo, fantasy land! That's me! I'm still in school.

I had a 944 for close to 3 years before it died. At least I can say my first car was a Porsche! My second Porsche? Oh, that'll be a 999TT in about 13 years when I finish my surgical residency.

I was right. Great looking kids.

A. Dias I could look it up but I believe the point your missing is since they all look alike to most of the car buying public, you would have to lump them all together.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick if Ferrari could produce 9000 red cars a year to sell in Cali they would. The "Universal Porsche Shape"
    apparently works from $74K to $132k. No stopping success!

Turbo Cab. Less involving than a Boxster S, but "sportier" than a SL or M6 Cab. Joy. Amazingly, the reviewer heard more engine noise with the roof down. Now thats news! Dealers man your phones!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I was right. Great looking kids.

A. Dias I could look it up but I believe the point your missing is since they all look alike to most of the car buying public, you would have to lump them all together.

See, another thing we agree about!

Could it be that they fixed some of the PTM problems?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Turbo Cab. Less involving than a Boxster S, but "sportier" than a SL or M6 Cab. Joy. Amazingly, the reviewer heard more engine noise with the roof down. Now thats news! Dealers man your phones!

Uh, better read it again. P. 61: "The twin-turbo six's sound is stirring, top up or down..."

Besides, the point wasn't the obvious so much as an underlining of the fact that the Turbo coupe is too quiet, too removed. Cab goes some says toward fixing that.

And, as for having one of "those" drives (and I know exactly what you mean, Stradale!), I can tell you I didn't in this case and rarely, if ever, have on a press trip. My job is to examine two elements: the car itself and then the experience it provides. For so many reasons, it is very hard to do this on PR intros -- partly out of the nature of the beast and, perhaps, partly by design. Thus, you must focus. My handling realization came on the first day's "short" driving loop (which turned out to be the best road) with the top and windows closed. I started this way for a reason.

As for mellowing? Who, me? I dunno. I'd still probably rather drive a 996 GT3 or even a CTR1 every day than a Turbo Cab.

So, yes, I am nuts. But any road tester worth their salt must get out of the "me" and "my preferences" to a rather large degree when reviewing cars and try to evaluate a car for what *it* is trying to be/do.

And the 997 Turbo Cab is VERY good at what it is trying to be/do.

Cheers!

pete

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM