Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Scraped rim

It's my turn to post my embarrasing stupid moment.

I "rode" up on a curb while parking the other day, without really noticing what was going on and then the car slid down off the curb. Doing so scratched the rim of the left rear wheel.

I've attached a picture of the damage.

My question is, can this type of wheel damage be repaired or do I replace the rim (or just suck it up and leave it as is)?

Re: Scraped rim

Call Wheel Enhancements in LA.

This kind of scratch can be easily repaired. The wheel and tyre has to come off, but you don't need a new rim.

This looks like an easy fix, it will cost you about $100-$150. I'm sure your dealer has someone that will come to them and have it done the same day.

I had a wheel damaged in shipment and used these guys. Call John - even though he's in the Springs he spends a lot of time in Denver. He'll pick up the wheel and do his thing - you'll be amazed at the results. http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa_canada/us_locations_colorado.html

Easy to fix yourself. There are websites which tell you the DIY techniques.

Just found link Googled Curb rash repair:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

Nice thing is the surface area is so small (and not easy to see!) that anybody can get a good decent job DIY. Not like it's a gouge in the middle of the hood which is impossible for us amateurs.

The DIY tech tells you how to mask, fill with putty, fair, paint, sand, clearcoat, polish... . Just like those plastic models we had as kids.

No need to dismount tire either.

BTW, avoid rust on rotors! IMHO

Thanks! You guys are amazing! I hadn't even thought of the idea of this being a DIY fix it job. I'm going to the guy who is in the Springs, as well as talk to my dealer.

Now its just my pride that needs to get smoothed over.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:

Pride? Nah..., it's nothin'. I remember parking my new BMW next to a curb and saying to myself, "Take it eeeeeasy fella that curb's kinda close..., you can do it... ." next thing I did? I turned that curb into a cheese grater for my wheel. See? No pride!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Puffy911 said:

Pride? Nah..., it's nothin'. I remember parking my new BMW next to a curb and saying to myself, "Take it eeeeeasy fella that curb's kinda close..., you can do it... ." next thing I did? I turned that curb into a cheese grater for my wheel. See? No pride!

I think we can say we have all done it a some point in time.

None of the DIY and dealer lot repairs are worth anything. The right way requires a wheel refinishing. and it does not cost much more - $200-$250.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    None of the DIY and dealer lot repairs are worth anything. The right way requires a wheel refinishing. and it does not cost much more - $200-$250.

I agree, the best way to fix it is to completely remove the tire from the wheel and have the wheel refinished by a body shop or wheel shop that specializes in such repairs.

When I had tires put on my Porsche the dealer damaged the right rear wheel and they had their body shop repair the rim, still looks like new months later. I once had a wheel on a BMW X5 with sport package repaired by the dealers mobile repair guy and within a few months you could see the area were the rim had been repaired, not the actual repair but the area around it.

Quote:
    ADias said:

Definitely worth the $$$ if you don't want to spend time doing DIY repair. There are _LOTS_ more interesting and fun things to do.

BUT, I DIY'ed my BMW wheel years ago and owned it for more than a few years after repair and never thought about it again. IOW, it's not difficult to get lasting decent results down there.

How do you like those Cont timres?

Quote:
    bstew said:
    How do you like those Cont timres?

I think they run quiet and feel pretty sticky. I've actually had times when I've heard "road sand" being picked up by them and bounced around in the wheel well.

Since I have nothing to compare them too it's difficult to evaluate them against anything.

Mike Lindsey can help you in Okla City. Do a web search for him.

dan

Just a little curb rash. Wheel repair guy can fix it in an hour.

But wait until you see the valet do it...just be sure not to lose your cool when that happens because then your date will just think you are an [beep] and no amount of explaining will fix that problem

Quote:
    OO7GT3 said:
    .just be sure not to lose your cool when that happens because then your date will just think you are an [beep] and no amount of explaining will fix that problem

Oh yeah! Truer dating words have never been spoken!

You can suffer silently and worry about the car all you want during dinner and activate hair-trigger mode and wanna go ballistic when the valet-ed car comes back with a door ding ...BUT..., FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN! KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!

Quote:
    MMD said:...You can suffer silently and worry about the car all you want during dinner and activate hair-trigger mode and wanna go ballistic when the valet-ed car comes back with a door ding ...

I refused to dine at a local establishment last week because valet was the only option.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    I had a wheel damaged in shipment and used these guys. Call John - even though he's in the Springs he spends a lot of time in Denver. He'll pick up the wheel and do his thing - you'll be amazed at the results. http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa_canada/us_locations_colorado.html

This post is a few days over due. On Friday August 31 I had my wheel fixed by the guy that jeffbco recommended. I must say that the finished product looks excellent. If anyone is interested I'll take an after shot to compare with the before shot.

I did run into a little bit of a problem with this "guy." He had the wrong time for the appointment (30 minutes later then we agreed upon) and then his workers ran very late. A 9:30am meet time turned into 10:45am. All this while my wife is hanging around a Lexus dealership waiting for them. She called me, I called John, I called her back, etc. It was clear that John was becoming annoyed with me. He knew that my wife was going to wait for this to be done so the delays were unacceptable. If it wasn't for an upcoming trip to Las Vegas I probably would have cancelled the job. Oh, I forgot to mention that Saturday morning we were flying out of town to head to northern California for a wedding and some fun time in Napa, so my wife didn't have all day to just toil around the Lexus place.

The bottom line is that these guys did a great job on my wheel and I will use them again. However, if you do use them yourself be sure to have free time available as they run a loose ship based on time schedules.

A little touch up paint $.05

Glad to hear the rim was repaired to your satisfaction. My situation was a little different than yours - I had the wheel off the car and in my Yukon and John picked it up from me at my work. He was on time...but the repair took longer than he estimated. Best bet is if you can have him pickup, repair and deliver - waiting for these guys is an adventure.

wheel repair has been going on for decades. Have no fear with them. There are even shops, exclusive ones, that have taken a 15 inche wheel and turned it into a 17 inch wheel.
    Besides my 07 GT3, I have a 92 Celica All Trac, 72K miles on it, it has seen no one other than the dent repair and wheel repair. It is all original.
    You will be fine, let us have after pics, Please.
    Thanks.

I found this link, seems to be the most comprehensive
    for USA, I used 1800-fix bend in Ct. once, I waited,drove around area for 3 hrs. checked the sights, they did it.
    I know they do a lot of work for LIME ROCK racers.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/tirewheelrepair.htm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777363 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441743 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85255 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5588 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816013 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM