Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re-think on colours following talks

Had a long chat with the head Sales guy in the principal OPC here in the UK today.

First the good news; looks like I might have secured a Nov build slot for Dec delivery! Fingers crossed that goes through.

Now the bad news; colour resale values. Turns out that Black is THE best for holding value for resale. After this follows silver, and more so each month white ("the new black"). The issue is that my previous favourites Blue, Red and Olive Green will be worth between 6-9k less (blue > olive > red being the worst) come resale.

Resale value is a hot issue for me as firstly I am not made of money, and secondly I plan on trading in as soon as the 998 Turbo comes in.

So that leaves Black, Silver and White.

This is where the problems start. White is a little too stand out for my likes, I own a basalt black 997 now, and I am not convinced on silver for the Turbo.

There was a new flat black Turbo in the showroom today and I must say that it did look good - especially with the lower spoiler lips/slats painted.

So what I need from you guys is some opinions on Arctic Silver.

Anyone got any feedback/pics on Arctic Silver you could share?

Re: Re-think on colours following talks

No pics , bud , but you cant go wrong with AS ..Its such a safe colour (and nice) , specially when you take into consideration a smooth swap up for the 998...

Good luck to yu...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Had a long chat with the head Sales guy in the principal OPC here in the UK today.

First the good news; looks like I might have secured a Nov build slot for Dec delivery! Fingers crossed that goes through.

Now the bad news; colour resale values. Turns out that Black is THE best for holding value for resale. After this follows silver, and more so each month white ("the new black"). The issue is that my previous favourites Blue, Red and Olive Green will be worth between 6-9k less (blue > olive > red being the worst) come resale.

Resale value is a hot issue for me as firstly I am not made of money, and secondly I plan on trading in as soon as the 998 Turbo comes in.

This is where the problems start. White is a little too stand out for my likes, I own a basalt black 997 now, and I am not convinced on silver for the Turbo.

There was a new flat black Turbo in the showroom today and I must say that it did look good - especially with the lower spoiler lips/slats painted.

Artic is the easiest color car to maintain that I'ver owned. If you're not getting PCCB's the Artic is a great color w/ black int. Black is my second choice right now behind Basalt only because I've had 7 black cars in the last 10 yrs and I'm pretty tired of it right now. But if you have Basalt now I could see why you ouldnt want the same color that's exactly how I feel about Artic Right now but you can't go wrong with Artic it's the most classic Porsche color and like I said is a real pleasure to own.

Get the color that gives you the most pleasure, w/ color you HAVE TO get your first choice other wise you're paying for it everyday and not just maybe in a couple of years from now. You never know what the future holds, you maye end up needing to keep the car or say you get the best color for re-sale but something happens to the car and you end up taking a residual hit anyway and on top of that you're driving a color that isn't your first choice. You may THINK you're being smart about selecting a color that has a larger market and better resale but imo a second choice color is never worth the price you're going to pay to own the car no matter how much the re-sale difference is. Plus the 998 Turbo is 5 + years away, getting your 1st choice color is really important imo.

In terms of Artic pics, it's not of a Turbo but in my Gallery is pics of my Artic 997 S Cab :
    http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=6351

Had both a blk/blk and a GT silver/natural grey 997TT (both PCCB/Tip)....

If getting a new 997TT, I'd get arctic slvr/blk w/PCCB....

Blk on P shows microswirls/microscratches too readily, even vs my two prior blk/blk 996TTS (have used same hand car wash for yrs)....seems like blk paint of 997TT, esp on the aluminum hood/doors, is softer than before....

GT Silver has some weird lavender hue in certain lights....

Wouldn't paint spoiler lip; despite my familiarity w/daily-driving various P/F through the hills and many inclines of a region like SF, would observe that 997TT spoiler is some .25" lower than 996TTS and was annoyingly scrapeable (more so than any F)....would rather have the std, unpainted, disposable spoiler lip, for occasional replacement after it's too scuffed-up...

IMO, all the optional painted stuff (grills, etc) is too ricerish...prefer to allow the typical used P buyer to invest his capital in the full ricer/rapper-aftermkt/used-car "look", so CHP (or whatever local police) can quickly know to have gun drawn; call for back-up and the drug-sniffing dogs; and alert central booking upon traffic stop for speeding/street-racing/driving a suspicious-looking car in an upscale area.....

My Carrera S is AS. very nice color, can't go wrong. So what if it is "common!?" It (monochrome 40%reflectance grey)is also THE "color" to have for appreciation of beautiful form. It's used in "all" the design studios for car models getting styled. AND it's the racing color of Germany (used to be white).

My only problem with silver on a Turbo is that it makes all the extra stuff show alot more (vents, slats, wings); darker is better. All that stuff , shown prominently in silver, starts to take away from the essential 911 shape.

I've ordered meteor but AS was my second preference - I think it's a great colour for the TT. I like white too, but from a resale point of view it might be somewhat problematic - maybe it's a faddish colour? Not sure. I wouldn't buy a black car. I think they can look absolutely stunning when maintained properly, but my car is a DD and long distance outback tourer so keeping it properly cleaned would be too much work. Plus I have to park in the sun a lot of the time and it's bloody hot here in summer!

Like you, I think I'll trade my TT on a 998 TT with PDK, but it might be a few years before it's available and the bugs are sorted so bottom line is to go for a colour you're going to love and are prepared to live with for a few years. Good luck!

AS is an amazing colour, it will always look good clean or dirty

Black is so much harder to take care of and there is such a polar difference between clean/dirty black cars.

With silver the difference is much less, much less upkeep and looks pretty damn good when clean, also shows the lines/nuances of the car MUCH better than black.

6 to 9K less ?? After how long?

I don't reckon that would be borne out by the current 996TT market, although I admit I haven't checked.

I reckon that's utter horsh*t though. Price is set by what people are willing to pay. At no point in time will an identically specced red TT be worth 6k less than a black car - other than in the mind of a dealer quoting you trade in.

It's not like you want to paint it Dog Knob Fuschia or something... buy what you like.

FWIW, black looks stealth but pretty unspecial as a result, AS looks sharp (lovely one parked outside my office on Friday, reg. W? BBC) but white looks the absolute b*llocks.

Went to a wedding yesterday. I checked out the Black Ferrari in the garage. Thing had cat hair and dust on it! Not alot, not a thick layer, but just enough to make me wonder about extra PITA of dark colors.

It's like you either take on or delegate yet another chore (car dusting) or get a visual annoyance everytime you look at car.

FWIW

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Went to a wedding yesterday. I checked out the Black Ferrari in the garage. Thing had cat hair and dust on it! Not alot, not a thick layer, but just enough to make me wonder about extra PITA of dark colors.

Take a quick ride and all the cat hair and dust will be blown away.

Quote:
    hellgelb said:

but white looks the absolute b*llocks.

Was told after a year! It maybe people are willing to pay equal amounts for equal specs, BUT OPCS AREN'T as they know their subsequent customer base for resale is a lot smaller.

Black does look good on the 911. However as I say, I have basalt now so fancy a change.

Flat black would be enough of a change, and it does looks amazing when cleaned shined up - but to keep it there is going to be a full time job - and in this country's ever changing weather will prove frustrating. My Audi is flat black and so I would be doubling my cleaning work load! Then there is the paint swirls after 6 months. I plan on keeping the car until the 998 Turbo comes out - so about 4-5 years. So after this time the paint would be seriously affected.

I think if I want a really *special* car then out of black/silver/white it would have to be white (with some exclusive options).

So I may have to relinquish the last reminants of my shyness and go white...

Go with the heart and not the head - choose white, and don't let the OPC change your mind

I tentatively think a black interior has best shot at resale.

A prospective buyer is gonna have a greater chance of saying "no" to an "unusual" color like a tan, or a terracotta interior than to a black one.

IOW, what do you think about the speculation that black is the least "taste sensitive" of all the interiors; i.e it is the most difficult color for most prospective buyers to feel adverse to.

BTW, I think it looks best in black anyway.

Feedback on AS

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I went for AS with black interior. It's hard to beat how easy it is to maintain, I can literally use any old torn T-shirt (and even paper towel) to do quick detailing.

No water spots too.

A few issues with AS (and any other light colour):

1. You'll see the yellowing of the plastic pieces (in front of the rear wheels) sooner. They all turn yellow but more obvious on silver.

2. Road debris, tiny black dots of dirt will realy show as they stick onto your silver paint.

3. The red brakes look better on silver than yellow PCCB in my opinion, as the rear red lights somehow stand out more in a lighter colour such as silver.

Re: Feedback on AS

I love Arctic Silver on the TT.... it is classic Porsche. I had black and spent much more time cleaning and detailing than I cared to do. The TT looks awesome in white as well. But if looks and resale are important, you can't go wrong with Arctic. That is what I have and and love it...........no regrets at all. BTW those photos are of my car!!

Re: Feedback on AS

AS is a great color, a pure Porsche classic. I had it on my 996, it was a very easy color to keep clean. I thought long and hard about AS vs MG. Eventually chose MG, and I love it, though it is quite a it darker than expected. I didn't choose AS in the end because so many 996/986s are AS. Time for a change I guess. If doing it again, I would probably choose AS.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I have to wonder if those resale numbers will hold true in the USA.

As for AS it's a great and easy to maintain color...and definitely a Porsche classic. My only complaint is that it is also really common. Though I personally like white there is a lot in the showroom right now. IMO it's questionable whether resale on white will be as good as black or silver.

Arctic Silver may not be as common on the 997TT as it has been on past turbos. It seems many people are bored with AS and have moved on to other colors. I live in one of the most populated Porsche areas in the world and I have yet to see another AS 997TT but I have seen many other colors, especially black or white. It would be interesting to see production numbers by color. Moving away from silver may be a trend for now but it is a classic color that looks great and a little easier to maintain. It also shows the lines and shape of the car better than most colors.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    hellgelb said:

Was told after a year! It maybe people are willing to pay equal amounts for equal specs, BUT OPCS AREN'T as they know their subsequent customer base for resale is a lot smaller.

That HAS to be nonsense ... one year ?!

Anyway, it's depressing that buyers of new cars feel the need to buy 'safe' colours which will appeal to the subsequent buyers of those cars (and hence a justifiably risk averse dealer for whom stock which takes longer to shift yields by definition a smaller margin).
    The second and subsequent buyers of a car like the Turbo are probably looking at running it for a period while losing as little money as possible - hence their desire for an easy resale colour. They are probably reasoning that someone else (you!) has taken the big initial hit over the first few years and they can get in and out of the car for a relatively low percentage hit.

The point I'm trying to make is that - regardless of colour - it's you who will be 'losing' tens of thousands on running this car for a few years. Now you want it enough that you've decided that this is worthwhile for the pleasure it'll give you. On that basis, what percentage extra money are you likely to lose on a white or red car? And if you're really going to be in the fortunate position of being able to get a 998TT in a few years (at least 5, I'd think) is the extra few thousand really going to change that ?

It all depends on how you're financing these things (I'm not gauche enough to ask) but if I was lucky enough to be specifying my dream car then I like to think I would choose the spec I really want, rather than trying to second-guess the thought processes of a second owner, years in the future. For all the difference it makes over that period - different story entirely if you were only planning to try the car for a while or keep for a year or so, I'll grant you.

If you're not made of money why are you buying a 997 TT in the first place? There is no economic sense to a Porsche purchase so order something that you actually like, not something for the next guy to grab up. If you can assemble a great combination of interior and exterior colors you'll have potential buyers out there knocking at your door at resale time. Besides, any sort of 998 TT is years away from fruition.

Dan

I go through a lot of cars and almost always get white. I went from a white 996TT to a white C4S and now the white 997TT (that way patients and referring docs who aren't into cars can't tell when I get a new one). Over the years I've had comments about white being boring, for girls and old men, etc. but I love the clean looks, stealth and ability to keep it looking nice and swirl free with little effort. This is the first time I have ever owned a white car and people who don't normally like white, love this car. Even die-hard car enthusiasts who enjoy giving me grief over my boring white cars have universally showered me with compliments over my color choice. I think it just looks good on the 997TT (and especially good on the GT3). But I wouldn't do it for resale; unless it's olive or paint to order, it should make less difference than you think. You'll love driving it so much, the color is less an issue.

Carcam, I can't help but notice you chose to forego the painted rockers, front spoiler and rear apron. Considering you have the PCCBs I tend to think this wasn't a financial decision. Would you care to comment on your decision to leave them unpianted? I am in the Northeast and am still torn between having them painted by a shop after purchase, or leaving them unpainted.

Saxguy- I did consider painting the black rockers, etc. but I knew I didn't want to paint the front spoiler since it would be scraping a fair amount ( and it does). And I do like the contrast of black trim pieces on a white car. I looked at a number of pictures of painted and unpainted rockers and my take is that the white painted rockers make the car look shorter and lower; unpainted looks longer and sleeker. I was so ambivalent on the looks that I chose not to paint the rockers knowing I could do it later for less at my local body shop. Both look good but subtly different. I do think the car should be lowered 1/2" which would improve appearance more than the painted rockers but I'm afraid I would scrape the front spoiler off rather than just scruff it the way I'm doing now.

Thanks for all great feedback guys

After MUCH deliberation I fixed my spec today on....

COBALT BLUE

...phew!

Given I will be keeping the car for 5-6 years I said hell to the resale issue and just went with my favourite.

Actually, my OPC had a used Cobalt Turbo in the showroom that was sold in under 3 days - so they can't say that it's not an in-demand colour!

Now bring on Christmas!!!

Choosing the colour is always a nightmare isn't it?
    This thread has ruined all my plans! I was pretty much set on black but that white one just looks gorgeous. I just got off the phone to the dealer and he said white is becoming ever more popular. Trouble is, I live in Essex, it's not exactly California is it, wondering if it might look a bit silly driving through Basildon!

brad

Quote:
    br d said:
    Choosing the colour is always a nightmare isn't it?
    This thread has ruined all my plans! I was pretty much set on black but that white one just looks gorgeous. I just got off the phone to the dealer and he said white is becoming ever more popular. Trouble is, I live in Essex, it's not exactly California is it, wondering if it might look a bit silly driving through Basildon!

brad

I just got back from a few days visiting the folks in Suffolk. I must say that white was a serious option until I saw all those white vans, white 306s, white mondeos, etc etc on the motorways. Even my younger brother has a new white Evo.

These seriously made me think that a white car in this country, where the sun rarely shines, makes it look more aged than it really is. If I lived in a hot dry sunny country then white would be a no-brainer. It would look stunning.

So this is why I went cobalt - I thinkm it ultimately looks great in any light.

Good comments Alex. My other serious choice is black and you could make the same observations about that. It's tricky.

Incidentally, my girlfriend (who remains steadfastly unimpressed by any car I own, bless her!) said, when I drooled over a white GT3 in Southend, "WHITE? That's for 18 year old nobheads!"

I tried to explain that there aren't many '18 year old nobheads' who could afford a GT3 but I did get the point!
    She certainly helps me keep my feet on the ground!

Well it's white for now, I'll see how I feel later. be sure to post up some pics of that Cobalt Blue when you get her mate.

brad

I might be the only one with this opinion but white, as much as I like it on certain cars, will probably not become as popular as those various shades of silver and black on modern Porsche. The current cars that look good in White are the ones that provide some sort of contrast, either with wheels, airintakes and -outlets, darkened glass roofs or other graphical elements like the DLOs (call them windows). Hence cars like the Turbo, the GT3 or certain Audi models look gorgeous in this colour since they put a lot of emphasis on all of the vehicle's elements. The downside for me would be the fact that a. white as a colour is currently "hyped" and b. emphasises those above mentioned graphical elements.

Alex,

You definitely can't go wrong with Cobalt Blue. I was going to say that to heck with the resale value, you should really be able to go with the color that you REALLY want! That's what I did and you did the same! Bravo to you! Now you just have to wait for your car to arrive!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Alex,

You definitely can't go wrong with Cobalt Blue. I was going to say that to heck with the resale value, you should really be able to go with the color that you REALLY want! That's what I did and you did the same! Bravo to you! Now you just have to wait for your car to arrive!

Amen,
    I've had two artic silver Porsches in the past. Two days ago I brought home a cobalt blue turbo. I understand that cobalt blue isn't for everybody but I love it. Pros include "striking and less common." Cons include " always being conspicious." Resale, although a concern, shouldn't enough of a issue to prevent you from getting the color you love.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260916 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85169 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5551 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880618 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815833 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM