Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: sport chrono and mlti fct steering wheel

Quote:
    DavidS said:
    Actually - The "sport" mode does a number of things.
    If you are not into track days - You might never notice many of them.

The program is activated by the sports button in the centre console, varying the:

gas pedal control lines
    engine speed limiter
    dash-pot on the throttle butterfly
    PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
    PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and Tiptronic S as required by the driver.

The E-gas control line is switched to a steeper configuration restricted in models equipped with Tiptronic S to the manual mode.

The throttle butterfly will respond even more quickly to movements of the gas pedal, and the driver will enjoy an even more spontaneous response from the engine.

Should the driver furthermore keep his foot on the gas pedal without shifting gears, the engine speed limiter in gears 1 -5 will intervene far more abruptly than in standard trim, meaning that the engine responds directly to the gas pedal up to the maximum speed limit.

Dash-pot response is less oriented to motoring comfort, the throttle butterfly closing faster whenever the driver takes his foot off the accelerator to provide an even more dynamic, racing-like driving experience.

The operation and intervention of Porsche Stability Management also changes in response to the sports button, providing greater agility and driving dynamics.

Accelerating out of a bend, for example, the car is even faster and more dynamic thanks to the higher anti-spin control threshold allowing more slip on the drive wheels when giving gas.

The system thus consciously accepts greater swerve action at the rear - particularly on slippery surfaces - without endangering driving safety.

The other PSM activation thresholds are likewise raised to a higher level allowing a bigger deviation between the actual and the desired movement of the vehicle before PSM cuts in.

The result, clearly, is greater agility when driving to the limit in lateral dynamics.

Raising the ABS intervention limits, in turn, the system allows the driver to apply the brakes with more neutral behaviour when entering a bend.

A further point is that PSM allows more drag momentum from the engine whenever the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, ensuring a smoother load change for taking bends with a tighter angle and in more dynamic style.

And for even greater agility, all the driver has to do is switch off PSM with the sports mode active.

Porsche Active Suspension Management also switches automatically to the sports program with harder bumper control.

The car thus steers even more spontaneously into bends, body movements are significantly reduced, and road contact is improved accordingly.

With a "softer" suspension being advantageous on slippery surfaces such as wet or snowbound roads, on the other hand, the driver is able, pressing the PASM button, to set the car to its normal damper position even when the sports mode is active.

Wow! What he said.

That's impressive. I forgot totally about the rpm thing. I can feel there's a lot of differences but didn't know exactly why or what they all were.

"throttle butterfly closing faster whenever the driver takes his foot off the accelerator to provide an even more dynamic, racing-like driving experience."
    That's a big part of the whole difference in feeling imo, it's not just the "spontaneous response from the engine." when you hit the gas, it's they way the car feels when you take your "foot off the accelerator" as well.

Appreciate the great info!

Quote:
    DavidS said:
    The E-gas control line is switched to a steeper configuration restricted in models equipped with Tiptronic S to the manual mode.

If I'm reading this correctly it's talking only about tiptronic cars. This has no effect on a manual transmission car which is already at this setting.

Quote:
    The throttle butterfly will respond even more quickly to movements of the gas pedal, and the driver will enjoy an even more spontaneous response from the engine.

Right, this is the throttle re-mapping we've been discussing at length.

Quote:
    Should the driver furthermore keep his foot on the gas pedal without shifting gears, the engine speed limiter in gears 1 -5 will intervene far more abruptly than in standard trim, meaning that the engine responds directly to the gas pedal up to the maximum speed limit.

This would appear to only affect people who don't shift in time.

Quote:
    Dash-pot response is less oriented to motoring comfort, the throttle butterfly closing faster whenever the driver takes his foot off the accelerator to provide an even more dynamic, racing-like driving experience.

I can see how this contributes to the sportier "feel" of the car with sport mode engaged, but I'm not sure I follow on how it provides any tangible benefit.

Quote:
    The operation and intervention of Porsche Stability Management also changes in response to the sports button, providing greater agility and driving dynamics.

This is the only feature I find even remotely compelling. I've found that in practice I don't gain much (if any) utility from it, but it's unarguably a benefit. On the street I don't need the slightly looser settings and on the track I have PSM off entirely.

Quote:
    Porsche Active Suspension Management also switches automatically to the sports program with harder bumper control.

Yes, but this has absolutely nothing to do with the sport chrono. This option is available in any PASM-equipped car, whether it has the sport chrono or not.

"If I'm reading this correctly it's talking only about tiptronic cars. This has no effect on a manual transmission car which is already at this setting."

You are correct in that you are not reading it correctly.

As I said,
    If you are not a track guy - You may not
    need/understand/use/want these features.

- But that is true of essentialy every option.

The RPM cutoff change and the throtle mods are reasonably useful on a track.

Another interesting use is a track day with a steady rain.
    Putting everything on "standard" can be faster than on "sport" when you don't drive any better than I do.

You also need to remember that the "standard" and "sport" settings continually change and overlap. This reduces the difference between the two in any sort of "maximum" condition.

and as I've said about a dozen times, I am a track guy. The part I quoted specifically "The E-gas control line is switched to a steeper configuration restricted in models equipped with Tiptronic S to the manual mode." appears to apply solely to tiptronic cars. Obviously I was referring to just that single sentence with my comment.

Quote:
    DavidS said:

DavidS, by this statement, do you mean:
    The E-gas control line is switched to a steeper configuration. In models equipped with Tiptronic S this steeper configuration is limited to manual mode.

or:
    In models equipped with Tiptronic S, when in manual mode, the Sport button causes the E-gas control line to be switched to a steeper configuration.

I did not get it in my car. IF it gave more HP it would have been a must.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    MF wheel what does it do best? My most valued function: My BMW MFW has a simple pause/mute button. AFAIK P does not. It DOES change tracks and stations right? Still..., no pause for CD on wheel (or anywhere convenient)? What WERE they thinking?

You press on the volume wheel on the MF wheel and it mutes/pauses.

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    MF wheel what does it do best? My most valued function: My BMW MFW has a simple pause/mute button. AFAIK P does not. It DOES change tracks and stations right? Still..., no pause for CD on wheel (or anywhere convenient)? What WERE they thinking?

Glad someone else pointed that out to him.

It does a lot. Love the Multifunction wheel. Of course, I use it with the CD player, the CD in the car, and the extended nav system.

Dan

I also like that quick jump shortcut button on the MF wheel, I have it going to Audio and the scroll wheel is so nice helping me navigate the iPod interface.

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Thanks! I dunno where I got that mistaken idea. Musta be my bad memory or reading someone's post wrong.

Wheeeew! I feel a little better now about Porsche's thought processes with "personal comfort/convenience" stuff.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM