Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

nberry:

Carrara T is a poor mans GT3 or R.

I wonder where that puts the GT3 in comparison to the RS SmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Porsche is diluting its specials names with not so special cars. The T could have been something really nice. It is not quite getting there with low hp and high weight for the price.

acky:

Back to topic:
    A vague rumour that the T will be build only for 4 months because afterwards the TS will come.
    Not sure about this, a lot T owners would be upset, when after a so short period of time a more strong version will be available.

I see the T more as a Cayman alternative for the people who can not live with 4 cylinders.

--

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

I've heard something about "Carrera C" instead of "TS" Smiley

--

bluelines:
    ISUK:

Following criticism here and on other forums about the lack of a power boost in the T over the standard Carrera a T S fits in perfectly. If you look at the pure business case the T model lets Porsche's marketing team and production planners get a real gauge on the level of overall demand by looking at the number of depositors on  this model versus their planned production capacity for it.

A follow up T S model would slot into the end of the 991.2 production run and may well be given more standard spec to attract any buyers who fail to get a production slot for the T model. It is simply a re-run of the successful split production run of the GT3 being copied by the regular car business and would keep the line busy right up until the 992 switch over.

Put back the PCM, paint the car black and call it... Black Edition indecision

Or Carrera TT T Black 

The engine of course is a twin turbo TT Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Porsche is diluting its specials names with not so special cars. The T could have been something really nice. It is not quite getting there with low hp and high weight for the price.

That is the traditional positioning of the 911T.  The only thing they forgot was that the T is traditionally the cheapest 911.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Isn't the T cheaper than the base Carrera if both have the same options ? I know it's a bit deceptive, but still.

--

White 991.2 GT3, V260 March 2018

Smileybluelines:
    nberry:

Carrara T is a poor mans GT3 or R.

I wonder where that puts the GT3 in comparison to the RS SmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Or the 918.  There is always someone with more money. Better be clear about what you are standing under before you start a pissing contest. 

Doubt anyone who has a computer and time on their hands to take part in this ritual mental masturbation is poor.  

Gauss:

Isn't the T cheaper than the base Carrera if both have the same options ? I know it's a bit deceptive, but still.

If my quick calculation didn’t leave out any options, the car is a tad more expensive than a C2, assuming that all options would be available for that car.

The GTS, on the other hand, is cheaper than a similarly equipped C2S and even gets more power. What I fail to understand is, that the price difference between a Carrera T and a GTS is roughly 10 to 12k Euros. That’s a difference of about 10%. 

crayphile:
    noone1:

So why would you complain about pccb in the cold wet if it's a known inherent nature that they need to get up to temps? That has nothing to do with the brakes being poor. They work exactly as expected and advertised.

Because we are all human and sometimes forget. I know I have, and at it can be a scary split second.

I wonder why you guys keep answering him. Smiley

reginos:

I would imagine it  is due to the "parts bin economies of scale" strategy that also afflicts fast BMWs sometimes.

No really bespoke brakes for the performance models of mainstream brands. enlightened

I believe that the RS models have specific brakes but the setup, compound and I assume even the brake cooling are not up to standard for such a performance car. What I don’t understand is that this has happened repeatedly, with the TT-RS‘ brakes failing to such an extend. The issue is repuducible and should not occur on any vehicle, let alone a car of that calibre. 

Nothing wrong with the Black Edition (parts bin special!) For the UK it's the bargain of the run-out range. Having had an early 991.1 C2 and the last 991.1 C2 Black Edition - the PDK was much improved as is power delivery in general (although SportPlus change ups need a bit of getting used to). The NA 3.4 I've always felt to be a better engine for the UK roads (and 70mph speed limit) - much more fun than the Turbo or S models (although I do still like the GTS).

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Ferdie:
    reginos:

I would imagine it  is due to the "parts bin economies of scale" strategy that also afflicts fast BMWs sometimes.

No really bespoke brakes for the performance models of mainstream brands. enlightened

I believe that the RS models have specific brakes but the setup, compound and I assume even the brake cooling are not up to standard for such a performance car. What I don’t understand is that this has happened repeatedly, with the TT-RS‘ brakes failing to such an extend. The issue is repuducible and should not occur on any vehicle, let alone a car of that calibre. 

If so, it means that Audi have been very stingy in their design to evolve a basically lifestyle car like the TT, into a serious performance coupe,  in order to maintain their profit margins.

I cannot think that Audi don't have the engineering ability to build adequate brakes. But often these things are decided by accountants Smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

crayphile:
    noone1:

So why would you complain about pccb in the cold wet if it's a known inherent nature that they need to get up to temps? That has nothing to do with the brakes being poor. They work exactly as expected and advertised.

Because we are all human and sometimes forget. I know I have, and at it can be a scary split second.

So that means the brakes are bad? 

Smileynoone1:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

Why go on and on?  

Leawood911:
    Smileynoone1:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

Why go on and on?  

Why post anything at all? Nothing said in this thread matters. No one's opinion matters or changes anything, yet people give them and continue discussing.

noone1:

Why post anything at all? Nothing said in this thread matters. No one's opinion matters or changes anything, yet people give them and continue discussing.

Actually, my opinion on you has changed a bit.

I learned that you like to argue way more than I expect, and you have way more free time than any of us.

How about applying for law school?Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Can't argue with that!

I like the idea and effort from Porsche to create the 911T...but for this price they could have done something more 'special'

I would be the perfect customer for this but when I configure it here, I compare with something like : 997.2 GT3 and then I don't think there is much debate. Residual and future value...meh.

--

997.1 C4 Silver (current), 996.1C4 (sold), 997.1C2S (sold) 986.1S (sold)

Hmmm, what could be more "special" then ? It is a base carrera and notwithstanding the PASM Sport and the other potential "goodies", it remains to be a base carrera and will not be any faster than an "S". However, having had a base 997 for nearly 10 years, I think that the "T" may be special for folks who had already opted to get the base carrera anyway. At least, the "T package" is different and IMO more appealing than all these "black editions" in the past.

crayphile:
    noone1:

Smiley Well said. I consider myself a pro amateur driver but from time to time, I have my surprises as well and wet/cold ceramic brakes can be nasty...or if you just exited a car wash. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Hmmm, what could be more "special" then ? It is a base carrera and notwithstanding the PASM Sport and the other potential "goodies", it remains to be a base carrera and will not be any faster than an "S". However, having had a base 997 for nearly 10 years, I think that the "T" may be special for folks who had already opted to get the base carrera anyway. At least, the "T package" is different and IMO more appealing than all these "black editions" in the past.

Well it should be more special than a carrera 'special' edition Smiley but if it is the intent, indeed, I think it is a good special edition.

--

997.1 C4 Silver (current), 996.1C4 (sold), 997.1C2S (sold) 986.1S (sold)

RC:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

Smiley Well said. I consider myself a pro amateur driver but from time to time, I have my surprises as well and wet/cold ceramic brakes can be nasty...or if you just exited a car wash. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

PCCB is worst after a car wash. It is so bad you only make that mistake once.  It feels like 10% brakes and one can get in real trouble if you don't expect it. 

Other than that they are incredible brakes. On the street you will never wear out the pads. Mine had 180k miles and half the pads remained. Rotors were like new. I drove the car hard. Especially the brakes. Ultimate stopping power for the street. No brake dust. 

So the T is only more special than the Carrera which is a really fine sports car. Should've at least copied some of the R features that make the drive more involved,  fun, and raw

I’m curious, anyone from RT buy one? Or will I be treated like a Cayman/Boxster owner if I bought one? smiley

WAY:

I’m curious, anyone from RT buy one? Or will I be treated like a Cayman/Boxster owner if I bought one? smiley

Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

I haven't seen much activity/interest here - US on the T.

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

I would be interested if I could spec regular PASM. Sport PASM a bit unpleasant as a DD, given local road conditions, especially in winter. So I'll stick to my Cayman GTS for now and remain ostracized...

Of course, yes, at least here (RT), buy one and you will be treated like a miserable cayman / boxster owner - you know, the one with "the little sports car"... Smiley

Regards from a miserable cayman GTS owner

I have both a Cayman GTS and a Boxster RS60. Does that make me double ostracized or does quantity make up for lack of 911-type quality?

Oh, well, besides the GTS we have a Design Edition Boxster too, so I would say we are very very much on the dark side of the force....Smiley Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802108 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448133 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265748 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264477 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6275 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884940 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831385 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM