Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

Porsche just doesn't care. They could easily fix the issue. No dealer is going to stop selling cars just because they don't get GT allocations.

You are supremely naive if you think this issue is easily fixed.

On one hand, if Porsche let the dealers decides who gets what, which is like what's happening now, the market adjustment thing is staying forever. The current mess will not go away.

On the other hand if that decision is taken out of the dealers' hand, HQ may not know what's best for each location, perhaps there are new customers that HQ doesn't know and the dealer wants new blood into the Porsche family.

The current system of half and half, where the 918 VIPs gets car and the dealers decide on the other half is also broken.  Too many customers lay the blame on the 918 VIPs about hoarding cars. And the dealers lay the blame on the VIPs complaining that they took away their allocations which could be given to their 'customers'.

There is no perfect solution. 

The closest thing would be for the dealers to report all their orders to PCNA and let PCNA sort out fake orders vs real orders. Dealers won't like it, but it's how Ferrari operate with their halo cars. But people also complaints as the priority goes to previous collectors and those that participate in the Challenge series. Running the Challenge series is a sure thing to short cut the line to Ferrari halo cars. Something I am tempted to do, but then again it's the same as pay market adjustment on a car, in this case, it would be blowing around 600k a year into thin air. 

--

They should do Dutch auctions for all halo cars. Maximum potential profits for the manufacturer. Same should apply to concert tickets and stuff.

Do what Ferrari does to keep track of good clients, prioritize some but randomize the majority, and actually match production with demand. The latter is the biggest issue. There would be little to no premium if you said "Everyone who wants one will get one in a reasonable amount of time." Sure, some would pay to get it sooner rather than later and eventually production will stop, but if people can get cars with ease, there will be little to no premium.

Go a step further and say if ownership changed when it came in for service prior to two years, you'll never get another one and therefor that dealer will potentially be hurt as well.

It's really not that hard. Porsche just doesn't care. Porsche can engineer cars like the 918, but they can't figure out how to allocate some special editions? Maybe Porsche should talk to the VW emissions team on finding a creative solution... 

SciFrog:

They should do Dutch auctions for all halo cars. Maximum potential profits for the manufacturer. Same should apply to concert tickets and stuff.

That would actually be a good idea too. The ones who buy first could get seriously fucked, hence, "How bad do you really want this car?"

I don't believe in doing that for concert tickets though. There are much better solution to prevent bots/flippers of concert tickets.

Do you know what a Dutch auction is? What you wrote is hard to understand in the context of what a Dutch auction is. And of course it would solve all the bots/flippers problem...

noone1: Maybe Porsche should talk to the VW emissions team on finding a creative solution... 

Smiley

If it were up to me, I'd ask everyone who was interested to enter a lottery for a nominal but small fee. People who currently own one of the halo cars get automatic additional entries and therfore greater chance of securing the new models. (That weeds out some of the flippers). 

If you win then you have to place a deposit within 48hrs or you lose your allocation (That weeds out the fake buyers).

They could have lotteries in each individual region so they can allocate build slots exactly on demand. 

Seems like a reasonably easy solution to implement. 

Oh and it would be a perfect use case for block chain technology. 

SciFrog:

Do you know what a Dutch auction is? What you wrote is hard to understand in the context of what a Dutch auction is. And of course it would solve all the bots/flippers problem...

I know what it is, but I don't believe in using a dutch auction for the masses. I believe in offering something good for a reasonable price to people who aren't wealthy.

Well for tickets Dutch auction on one part of the solution. The other is to have 10% of the tickets at a low price in a lottery for real people (not bots).

The same could be done for cars.

You keep playing with the definition of wealthy. You are very wealthy to the vast majority of people, you owned a McLaren. You don’t get to draw the line of what wealthy means just to suit your needs. Everything is relative.

I think the line can be drawn reasonably accurately with some common sense.

One very common definition is people who pay the top tax bracket in the USA, so income about $150k a year. Another is top 10% of earners which is about the same number. Seems very fair definitions. Of course this doesn’t cover people who have money but no income but it is much harder to get data on these.

HI everyone,

Just landed here 3 days ago and gone through all the 46 pages of thread as im very interested about the topic. Thx all for all the infos... funny tonsee the change of tones post lap record on the ring. 

2 weeks ago got a phone call from my local PC giving me a slot, same day i came there to configure the car.

I picked U2 GT silver metallic as it seems to me that this will reflect the most the form of the car body. My next choices were red then white.

Added the weissach package with magnesium wheels

I picked the black and red interior to make this car special it s a risk but why not.

I covererd as much part as possible with alcantara and red stiches.

I removed the lift added sportchrono package, bose speakers, aluminium pedals etc..

No date of delivery date, pick up in germany and plan to drive it back home to run in engine ready for the warmer season.

My dealer metnionned 1000 car to be produced. One of my friend owner of one R, Tubo S excl ed and all possible limited edition of Porsche mercedes and bmw told me that 2000 will be produced.

I will share pics and infos when i get more.

welcome, don't forget to update us with loads of photos

Interesting that people that already have one on order or have access to a allocation gives out production number much more than the dealers who sells them.

Makes you wonder why. 

Common sense would dictate those that already have one would name a smaller number to keep the value up, but they aren't doing that.

Dealers on the other hand have a build in incentive to make them looks like hard to get in order to maximize profits. 

--

In this case my dealer was sincere i guess he might not have the right infos...not all dealers have direct access to people who really know... one thing sure Porsche are angry against speculators and they should !

Dealers making auction to increase selling price should be banned from selling special cars. It s a terrible experience for the customers and Porsche are losing control over their relation with clients with letting this still happening after the GT3 RS mess...

My paperwork confirming the allocation should be arriving any day now and I'll get to finalise my configuration. Can't wait!

Welcome to Rennteam M40t0 and congrats on such an awesome car! Can imagine some difficult months of waiting ahead of you! Better buy an xbox with Forza Motorsport to keep you entertained in the long and dark Finnish winter time kiss

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

There is no reconfirmation to anybody - I have a "contract" and a lease ok from Porsche (Mandatory to lease in CH) and still there is no confirmation I get A car. Anybody believing he/she has a fixed allocation is being taken for a ride. In Europe not even the dealers know the amount they will/can get.

a good comment from Salomondrin was that he has "friends" that have a "confirmation" without having a history of having bought various GT cars before - so he was asking how many GT cars did you ever bought ? - so go figure..... - total BS..... - 

Nick surely has a good chance but the rest including myself having ACTUALLY 5 GT cars right now have no clue if I get one....

Btw : I was just in Zuffenhausen and saw the first GT2RS's ( 0 series) being build - those will be presscars. (S-GO.....)

I saw as well the build of a turbo Exclusiv in gold (Live looks stunning) and they allowed the owner to follow his car in the production band and make pics - very very cool !

BjoernB:

There is no reconfirmation to anybody - I have a "contract" and a lease ok from Porsche (Mandatory to lease in CH) and still there is no confirmation I get A car. Anybody believing he/she has a fixed allocation is being taken for a ride. In Europe not even the dealers know the amount they will/can get.

a good comment from Salomondrin was that he has "friends" that have a "confirmation" without having a history of having bought various GT cars before - so he was asking how many GT cars did you ever bought ? - so go figure..... - total BS..... - 

Nick surely has a good chance but the rest including myself having ACTUALLY 5 GT cars right now have no clue if I get one....

Thanks for the info, this seems to be correct, a few people in the UK who are close to their dealers "know" that they are first in the queue but this seems to be all, no allocations for the dealers or any word at all - need that tumbleweed emoji !

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

No BS here :)  @Bjoern at the end it doesnt really matter, and this is my point here these speculators are creating this animosity relation between the brand and customers and this is bad; i guess Porsche know it. They cant just think that this is good money... they will pay it sooner or later. Last time i checked there was142 GT3 RS in sales on Mobile.de... 

Speculators that baught the cars will decrease the price and take their losses, good porsche client that would like to change the car after 1 or 2 years will be impacted and not buy new cars....

There will always be some dudes with more gt than you have... I'm not sure that the quantity is making the difference otherwise all cars would go to UAE or China :)

As i understood the process is the following  = Countries get quotas then local dealer get quotas then local dealers push profiles of potential buyers to Porsche that make the final decision.  Buyers need to be historical client of the PC and  are forbidden to sale the car  (flip) for one year. 

I'm very afraid that US might be different setup where Porsche would have lost the lead on the final decision but i want to believe that they will finaly will clean up this process. There's not huge demand i my region and i guess i wasnt in competition with too many buyers.

My main point was to join conversation and talk about specs and share infos i have received as Porsche make it a very interesting topic ! i was thinking someone would jump on "why did you remove the lift system" :)) it's actually a big headach for me.

Why did you remove the lift system? broken heart

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Greeting to Helsinki - I was monthly in Espoo couple of years ago and surely the demand up there might be less (weather-related) - but the point is that there are probably more No 1-2 slots in each dealer than cars - it all depends how long they will decide to produce the car

I have the lift on my Gt3RS and C2S, knowing that the lower lip on the RS is the same as used on 991 Cup and cost less than 200€ how many of them can you buy with a 3k€ lift option ? (The oem part cost also in the same range... a bit more expensive, the cup one is more flexible and glossy.

It's my second front bumper on the RS, the RS front bumper is really badly designed, any impact would basicaly break it all as it's molded in one piece... i went just two wheels off in a trackday RS was lowered quite a lot and gravel went  above the lip, broke lip and a piece of the bumper with it.... 7K.. laugh

The lift will add 3cm if i'm not wrong then this will save little scratches under but never save the full bumper if the obstacle is higher than 3cm above the correct angle. 

Also why to pay weissach package and adding 7 kg more ? ( im not sure WHERE is the lift system positioned hopefully not in the rear :)

M4n0t0:

I have the lift on my Gt3RS and C2S, knowing that the lower lip on the RS is the same as used on 991 Cup and cost less than 200€ how many of them can you buy with a 3k€ lift option ? (The oem part cost also in the same range... a bit more expensive, the cup one is more flexible and glossy.

It's my second front bumper on the RS, the RS front bumper is really badly designed, any impact would basicaly break it all as it's molded in one piece... i went just two wheels off in a trackday RS was lowered quite a lot and gravel went  above the lip, broke lip and a piece of the bumper with it.... 7K.. laugh

The lift will add 3cm if i'm not wrong then this will save little scratches under but never save the full bumper if the obstacle is higher than 3cm above the correct angle. 

Also why to pay weissach package and adding 7 kg more ? ( im not sure WHERE is the lift system positioned hopefully not in the rear :)

The lift system operates only on the front shocks, to raise it a few cm. 

btw, I just recognized your handle. You followed me on Instagram and I just followed back Smiley

--

I believe it is located in the center, low, infront of the gear selector and on the shocks as mentioned.
    I suspect that those 7kg are invisible.

My thought on lifts is that you're always one mistake away from negating the entire benefit of it. Once you scrape, game over. One scrape is the same as 100 scrapes.

This is an ever lasting discussion... 

Sometimes you end up in an environment you don't control.

Just as I did once. I get stuck in an underground garage and just by pure luck found old carpets from the hotel that I could pile under the front wheels to lift the nose enough to get the car alway the down.  (Reversing up was totally out of the question in this case.)
    Getting the car out of the garage ment using carpets again and remove the front lip. (This was my 997 so it is a bit lower).

Lift is also nice when trailing the car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/29/24 9:42 PM
    watt
    786224 1799
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443769 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263746 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262615 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6089 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

882362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    823102 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM