Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Off-Road Navigation Option

Here's a first picture of my retrofitted Off-Road navigation.
    As I mentioned before, the Off-Road Nav is already integrated into the PCM2 software and has to be unlocked with a special code from Porsche with the Piwis system.
    To my knowledge, this option wasn't officially available for retrofit when I did it on my car but maybe now...just ask your dealer if you're interested.

Advantage of the Off-Road navigation: you get a digital compass and the display also shows in which angle the front wheels are. You also get a precise GPS position and the height above the sea on the same page.
    But the best thing is actually: the Off-Road navigation allows to backtrace a route if you activated the backtrace option.
    Meaning: if you travel through unknown territory, you just activate backtrace and the Off-Road navigation leads you back exactly to the point where you started.
    It works up to a distance of around 170-180 kph.

Re: Off-Road Navigation Option

Christian i have a question for you...

maybe today or tomorrow i send you a PM..

hihihihih

ciao
    Dario

RC, you mean that it's possible to unlock this function?

I have only to go to a porsche dealer?

(I have a 2003 Cayenne S?)

Quote:
    Michael (ex. partyboy) said:
    RC, you mean that it's possible to unlock this function?

I have only to go to a porsche dealer?

(I have a 2003 Cayenne S?)

Yes. He can get an unlock code from Porsche but as I said before, I don't know if the retrofit option is already officially available.
    Anyway: the off-road navigation is ALREADY embedded in the PCM2 software, it just has to be unlocked. No new software or any update necessary.

yes rc, but it looks like it causes it to display all kind of wierd things (ie: dots above your "o"s and "a"s). couldn't understand a word of it. maybe you should change it back or have it looked at

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    yes rc, but it looks like it causes it to display all kind of wierd things with weird symbols. couldn't understand a word of it. maybe you should change it back or have it looked at

btw rc, we finally bought a turbo cayenne "for the baby" (haha) yesterday.

RC, Is it possible to get Off-road Navigation and the compass in dash options at the same time? Thanks in Advance

ok thanks...

but did you pay for it? I mean, is it something, a customer has to pay for it?

Funny toy ,I know.
    I odered it but i'm sure that I'll never use.
    But I'd like to know if it's possible to have it without paying.
    If so ....

Quote:
    sergini said:
    Funny toy ,I know.
    I odered it but i'm sure that I'll never use.
    But I'd like to know if it's possible to have it without paying.
    If so ....

Whoever wants the Off-Road Nav retrofit has to PAY for it, this is no free shot.
    Cost should be the same as from factory but dealers can charge a few bucks for the unlock procedure.
    The unlock code is ONLY available from Porsche, it is not a free gift and costs money.

RC I'm from Switzerland, perhaps you know, how much it costs to unlock, in Euro or SFr.?

Quote:
    Michael (ex. partyboy) said:
    RC I'm from Switzerland, perhaps you know, how much it costs to unlock, in Euro or SFr.?

To my knowledge it costs 150 Euro to unlock but the dealer may charge his "unlock work" too, maybe additional 20-30 Euro (not sure).
    The unlock process is pretty easy: the dealer has to get from Porsche the code numbers info sheet.
    This is where you can find the VIN, production number, motronic serial number, PCM2 serial number, etc.
    There is one line saying "Offroad Navicode". This is the unlock code you need for unlocking the Offroad nav option in the PCM2. Your dealer connects the new PIWIS system tester (don't know if it is possible with the old PST2!) to your car and enters the code from the code sheet in a menue option where it says "Off-Road navigation unlock" (or something similar, I don't remember ).

It is pretty intuitive, your dealer can't do anything wrong.

A last word: the Offroad Navicode might be on the code sheet ONLY if Porsche "approved" it. The code sheet comes directly from Porsche, this is nothing your dealer has in his documents. In Germany, the dealer gets it online directly from Porsche.

Quote:
    Senninha said:
    RC, Is it possible to get Off-road Navigation and the compass in dash options at the same time? Thanks in Advance

The answer is no... when ordering one or the other the other will conflict... the reason is cuz both are just software unlocks... I wanted to order both on my Turbo... but it is impossible... upside is... offroad nav = Compass + more cool stuff... so it makes the compass obsolete... compass = $95-$110 option... offroad nav = $190... makes sense to go for offroad nav.

Nu - 18 days till my Grand Tour Euro Delivery... 19 days till I get to drive my baby

so I think I have to ask first, if he knows how to do it....

Thanks for the info! I wonder if it is possible to unlock both options?

Quote:
    Senninha said:
    Thanks for the info! I wonder if it is possible to unlock both options?

I don't think so and I wonder why. Because when I use the Off-Road navigation, the speedo display stays dark instead of showing the compass. Maybe the waypoints show up as soon as the Backtrace function is activated but I didn't try it yet.

It's interesting the Porsche is making a special deal about these functions. The VW Touareg has both the off road navigation and the compass/altitude (on road as well) functional as part of their standard nav package in the USA. They also give you the CDs for all of the country not just one region.

Quote:
    Seth said:
    It's interesting the Porsche is making a special deal about these functions. The VW Touareg has both the off road navigation and the compass/altitude (on road as well) functional as part of their standard nav package in the USA. They also give you the CDs for all of the country not just one region.

Nobody said that Porsche doesn't know how to earn money.

Does it "need" the second GPS unit required for the Compass display ?

It shouldn't in theory. A unit like a Garmin Street Pilot III will give you a split screen with an active routing map and compass/altitude/speed plus voice turns all in one small unit.

The reason I ask is that when I asked for the compass display to be activated, they needed to fit a unit under the back seat and a new antenna. I did not proceed.

How can they do that when the compass display is only an $80 option. Surely an additional GPS and antenna cost more than $80 when factory installed. Perhaps only the retrofit requires the additional GPS and antenna?

Its back to the VIN specific harnesses I think, the actual antenna are cheap. Remember I got the front mounting plate for the tag for $6.95.

Also a good reference point is the tow hitch, 6/700 vs 1500

Quote:
    Mick said:
    The reason I ask is that when I asked for the compass display to be activated, they needed to fit a unit under the back seat and a new antenna. I did not proceed.

This doesn't sound right. The Off-Road Nav already includes a compass, so why would the compass in the middle display require a second antenna or even a second GSP unit???
    Why would a GPS system require two antennas or even two seperate units because one is enough to offer a compass function?!

"Porsche, by design "

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779721 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442334 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263158 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5837 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881169 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817904 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM