Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do the 2.7L and 3.4L in the cayman use dry-sump?

Do the 2.7L and 3.4L in the cayman use dry-sump oil lubricating system?

Re: Do the 2.7L and 3.4L in the cayman use dry-sump?

Not exactly. It's an 'Integrated Dry Sump' system, which is probably half-way between the two. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will explain better! Porsche speak makes it sound like it's the real-deal, but it's not a full pukka dry sump. Good enough for most people and track days on the stock tyres, but probably wouldn't cope with the G's if you are using racing tyres on a track.

Wtsnet is right - integrated dry sump is Porsche's way of marketing a wet sump as something that it isn't. Integrated dry sump = wet sump.

Porsche does still make real dry sumps, but they reserve them for the GT Models (CGT, GT2, GT3, etc.) as well as the 997TT...

Exactly, which is why tuning Boxsters and Caymans are potential death traps for the engines.
    The moment you pull too many G's with extra BHP, the engine goes "poof".

Just saw an auto magazine with an article about some guy who had tuned his Cayman big time. Can remember if he used a dry sump engine for it...but I think he just tuned the original engine. Sounds like risky business.

Re: Do the 2.7L and 3.4L in the cayman use dry-sum

If you believe Porsche marketing's lies about the engine being a dry-sump engine, then I have a boxster coupe to sell you for $10,000 more than the convertible version because I'm calling it by a different name.

So, do the cayman's engines have an external reservoir for the oil? Or it's just pumped back from the oil pan?

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    If you believe Porsche marketing's lies about the engine being a dry-sump engine, then I have a boxster coupe to sell you for $10,000 more than the convertible version because I'm calling it by a different name.

wushuhsu, you do appear to have a problem with Porsche in general and the Cayman in particular, don't you? Which makes me wonder why you hang around the various Porsche boards here as much as you do?

It's a tragedy. I've wanted a Porsche ever since I was little --- before I knew anything about money. Now, I have the money to buy a Porsche Cayman S, in full with cash. But Porsche AG won't build a car that I want to buy! I'd feel like a chump if I bent over and let Porsche overcharge me for a Boxster coupe. And I'd feel like a poser if I paid all that money for a car that was slower off the line than Japanese imports half the price! It's tragic. Now that I'm all grown up and have the money to buy a Porsche, I'm too smart to buy a Porsche.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    I'm too smart to buy a Porsche.

That's a pretty arrogant statement to make considering the calibre of some of the Porsche owners here (and I don't consider myself to be in the Rennteam elite by the way ).

Myself, I looked and thought long and hard before I purchased my first Boxster with my hard earned cash. I'm now on my second one. Yes I tried Subaru's, Nissan's, Mitsubishi's BMW's and Mercedes and others, all of which offered cars either much quicker in a straight line or with similar performance for a lot less money. But none of them offered anywhere near the overall driving thrill, the special sense of competence, precision at any speed, not just in flat out arse-on-fire mode and ability honed over forty years of painstaking frequently understated development, I don't do traffic light grand prix, grew out of that in my late teens. Maybe one day you will learn to appreciate the finer qualities of these cars, but until you do, don't waste your own money buying one, but please don't insinuate that those more mature and or experienced enough to appreciate what makes Porsche cars so great are either stupid or have been somehow conned.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Porsche does still make real dry sumps, but they reserve them for the GT Models (CGT, GT2, GT3, etc.) as well as the 997TT...

True, but I have yet to hear about Porsches with the so called "integrated" dry sump suffering from oil starvation.
    They won't produce enough G-forces, unless you use proper race tires (slicks).

@ wushusuh: save some more and get yourself a GT3

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    I'm too smart to buy a Porsche.

That's a pretty arrogant statement to make considering the calibre of some of the Porsche owners here (and I don't consider myself to be in the Rennteam elite by the way ).

Myself, I looked and thought long and hard before I purchased my first Boxster with my hard earned cash. I'm now on my second one. Yes I tried Subaru's, Nissan's, Mitsubishi's BMW's and Mercedes and others, all of which offered cars either much quicker in a straight line or with similar performance for a lot less money. But none of them offered anywhere near the overall driving thrill, the special sense of competence, precision at any speed, not just in flat out arse-on-fire mode and ability honed over forty years of painstaking frequently understated development, I don't do traffic light grand prix, grew out of that in my late teens. Maybe one day you will learn to appreciate the finer qualities of these cars, but until you do, don't waste your own money buying one, but please don't insinuate that those more mature and or experienced enough to appreciate what makes Porsche cars so great are either stupid or have been somehow conned.

DITTO
    Some folks just don't get it...
    But hey... that's why there is an aftermarket to turbocharge your civic...

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Myself, I looked and thought long and hard before I purchased my first Boxster with my hard earned cash. I'm now on my second one.

The Boxster is a great deal. The Cayman is not. Unfortunately, I want a Cayman.

To be constructive, if Porsche AG cuts its costs by putting in the 3.6 or 3.8L engine into the Cayman S and prices it lower than the convertible version, then I'd be first in line to buy one. I love the car. I just hate the company for thinking we're all suckers.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    True, but I have yet to hear about Porsches with the so called "integrated" dry sump suffering from oil starvation.

I have. Mantis Sports makes an oil sump to counter this problem.

And, I don't want a GT3. I want a mid-engine car.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

I have. Mantis Sports makes an oil sump to counter this problem.

And, I don't want a GT3. I want a mid-engine car.

Save even harder for a Carrera GT then.

Why would anyone want to buy a car from a company they hate?
    I think you need to move on wushuhsu.
    I feel proud and privileged to own a Porsche. I love seeing my Cayman every morning, I have a blast on my way to work, and my drive home at the end of the day is a treat, everyday. And I've had this car for almost a year now.
    You can call me sucker anytime.

Quote:
    BlueApple said:
    So, do the cayman's engines have an external reservoir for the oil? Or it's just pumped back from the oil pan?

No external oil tank - just pumped back from the pan...

As long as you steer clear of slicks on the track, I have never heard of anyone having a lubrication issue. And there are LOTS of boxsters and caymans on tracks.

There is supposed to be a baffle kit from Porsche Motorsport that will "solve" the issue for track use on slicks. I think one guy in Excellence installed a much deeper sump and some baffles...or some such.

I don't see this as an issue for 99% of boxster/cayman drivers, even track hounds. It is more of a purists point with little relevance to reality, IMO.

I don't see how a "tuned" car is relevant. The only relevant factor is G's (as Porsche-Jeck stated). And the only way I have heard to get sufficient G's to starve the engine of oil is with slicks. I know a few people that have used slicks without ill effect. I am sure the "line" is out there somewhere, but I don't think it is very easily crossed.

Why you guys keep sparring with wushuhsu I can't imagine. lol

Quote:
    mlin said:

Okay, if you insist. You're a sucker.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

Okay, if you insist. You're a sucker.

To be even more constructive, make more money and stop complaining about the costs... its boring ...

I do make more money. I'm just not giving it to Porsche for an underpowered overpriced marketing sleight-of-hand.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    I do make more money. I'm just not giving it to Porsche for an underpowered overpriced marketing sleight-of-hand.

5% is over-priced marketing

Do you not know math? That's 5% over, not under, the Boxster.

You want a mid-engined sports car? Get a Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo. Too expensive for you? Then pick from those cars which are within your budget rather than complaining about a manufacturer for not making the car you want.

If you think you can get a Cayman S with a 3.6L or 3.8L engine at a price lower than that of a Boxster S then you are living in a dream world.

Boxster, Cayman 245 bhp
    Boxster S, Cayman S 295 bhp
    911 325bhp
    911 S 355 bhp
    GT3 415 bhp
    TT 480 bhp.

All nice neat round figures divisible by the number 5. The engineers are only allowed to do what the marketing people let them do.

Porsche is all about 'product positioning' at various 'price points'. The day that concept sinks in, you'll express more worthwhile opinions here.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Do you not know math? That's 5% over, not under, the Boxster.

Math, I don't need no stinking math...my point is that in my opinion, 5% "over" the Boxster is insignificant.

Perhaps it is you that doesn't realize you're being manipulated.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:

Perhaps it you who does not realize that your repetoire is extremely limited.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    wushuhsu said:

Perhaps it you who does not realize that your repetoire is extremely limited.

Indeed...

I repeat the same points over and over again because they've never been refuted. Let's start with the original one of this thread: Porsche does not have true dry sump engines. Then we can go back to the other two points, namely that the Cayman is underpowered and overpriced.

Do the 2.7L and 3.4L in the cayman use dry-sump

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Let's start with the original one of this thread: Porsche does not have true dry sump engines.

Grant answered this question in complete detail in the 3rd post of this thread (#337811). Which part of it did you not understand? The only Porsche engines in road cars with a true dry sump are in the CGT, GT2, GT3 and TT. The Boxster, Cayman and remaining 911s all have integrated dry sump which is still a wet sump.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Then we can go back to the other two points, namely that the Cayman is underpowered and overpriced.

Agreed 100%. But, Porsche clearly doesn't want to increase power in the Cayman for fear of impacting 911 sales. None of us are being 'manipulated' in this regard as you wrongly insinuated previously. We ALL understand full well what Porsche's game plan is. We may not like it but that is what it is.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    I repeat the same points over and over again because they've never been refuted.

They have been answered, explained and (where necessary refuted). Your basic complaint against the Cayman's power is valid. Your ideal Cayman is IMO a fanciful notion.

I don't like it. Therefore, I'm not buying it. What part of that can't you respect? That there are people who think the Cayman S is not worth buying in its crippled overpriced form? These are all easy things for Porsche AG to fix.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780645 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442506 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263308 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261621 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5899 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881364 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818693 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM