Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Comparison test TIP vs. manual-German AMS

Here is the measurements...

TIP
    0-100km/h: 3.6s
    0-200km/h:12.2s

manual
    0-100km/h: 3.8s
    0-200km/h:13.0s

Article end conclusion is TIP for autobahn and manual for the track... IMHO article is pure crap...

BUT...! TIP really faster...!?

What about first test of manual 997 turbo is AMS then?!

Look at those numbers...(manual-licence S-GO501 AMS 13/2006)

0-100km/h: 3.7s
    0-200km/h:12.3s

Interesting, isn't it

...and few issues later AMS measured 997 turbo manual again(Slate Grey S-GO518) in high speed test at VW test track.

Look at those numbers...

0-250km/h:20.7s
    0-300km/h:40.7s

Well...

I know also numbers about TIP car in 0-250 and 0-300 but, I will not post them here...
    Just a clue-slower then manual...

Comments and opinions are welcome!

Re: Comparison test TIP vs. manual-German AMS

Oh yeah...

I forget little clue about track times(Klein Kurs Hockenheim)... Manual with LSD is around 1s faster then TIP with same tires(Michelin Cups)...

Nordschleife...? Well, do the math...

thanks!!

Porsche magic influencing AMS
    Nick where are you?

He's busy optioning the order for his new 997tt whilst eating a big feed of Canadian fish

Please please please the Nordschleife numbers!

Bottom line is that for a daily driver the tip gets around quite nicely and can hold its own.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Article end conclusion is TIP for autobahn and manual for the track... IMHO article is pure crap...

I agree on your sentiments regarding the AMS article...

From my perspective, this recent article highlights (again) a very unfortunate fact:

Porsche has not a single convincing product in the >450hp class

Why? Simple answer: Even if you accept that competing products like F430, Gallardo, Z06 are as fast (or faster...) than the 997TT (acceleration and/or track performance) you still have another obstacle to surmount before being a happy owner of a 997TT.

You can either buy a Tip version which might be a tad faster up to a certain speed level than Manual - voiding lots of driving pleasure. Or you can buy a Manual version which is slower than the boring Tip version.

Sorry Porsche, not with me. This is the crappiest product strategy I could imagine.

BTW: Still no news on PK, GT2 etc. Zuffenhausen is at sleep, I guess

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Here is the measurements...

TIP
    0-100km/h: 3.6s
    0-200km/h:12.2s

manual
    0-100km/h: 3.8s
    0-200km/h:13.0s

BUT...! TIP really faster...!?

What about first test of manual 997 turbo is AMS then?!

Look at those numbers...(manual-licence S-GO501 AMS 13/2006)

Interesting, isn't it

...and few issues later AMS measured 997 turbo manual again(Slate Grey S-GO518) in high speed test at VW test track.

Look at those numbers...

0-250km/h:20.7s
    0-300km/h:40.7s

Well...

I know also numbers about TIP car in 0-250 and 0-300 but, I will not post them here...
    Just a clue-slower then manual...

Comments and opinions are welcome!

BTW, Kreso: also agree 100% that this "Tip is soooo fast" story has been put up by the marketing department of Porsche alone. Also, I agree that chances are high that the most recent test results were staged by Porsche.

My personal expectation would be that Tip is faster by .1-.4s up to 200kph. Up to 300kph Tip might lose a second or so (just guessing...)

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Oh yeah...

I forget little clue about track times(Klein Kurs Hockenheim)... Manual with LSD is around 1s faster then TIP with same tires(Michelin Cups)...

Nordschleife...? Well, do the math...

1s is quite a lot

P.S.: That would imply that at least the 997TT Manual is as fast as the old 996TT (with comparable tires) on HHR

MKSGR,

How often do you track your turbo ? I ask only because ALL owners I know in the LI/NY area do NOT track their cars. The races are won and lost on the Long Island Expressway, Seaford- Oyster Bay Expressway, Jericho Turnpike, etc. I know you don't know these roads (probably not) but it seems to me that almost all of the races with the big 4 (997TT,F430,Gallardo,ZO6) that I have seen come down to one thing alone - driver skill. Your one second per lap difference may be huge on a track (it IS huge on a real track in a real race), BUT in the real world, on MY streets, your one second difference is, with all due respect, meaningless. IMHO, whether a car is easy to drive fast is MUCH more important than a .5 second difference in 0-60, 0-100, 0-200. Again, I don't diagree with your analysis, only the end result. For example, one blown shift, no one sloppy shift and a slower Gallardo will spank a Z06. The tip 997TT IS less engaging/fun than a 6 speed, but when you really want to drop the hammer, me with less skill than my adversary, has a shot to win....why.....the tip launches fairly easily and more importantly maintains boost b/w shifts. Anyway, if I was rich (and I'm not) I would have 5 cars - all of the big 4 and tt in both tip and stick. One can dream. Maybe if I married rich/won the lottery I'd have a Veyron to boot.

I find it very interesting how some people who post on this and other boards, who clearly have not driven a Tip 997TT long enough to know how to drive with this transmission, post opinions about the Tip as if they were experts???

Again, I had a 709 hp, 718 ft-lbs of torque 996/TT that was a MANUAL. It was faster than my 610 hp 997TT Tip is ... no questions asked. And yes, I tracked my 996TT and in fact I even let the driver who holds the track record track my 996TT. It was a beast and in the right hands almost unbeatable!

Bottom line is when ones learns to drive the Tip, it is very fast. IMHO, only someone with "far above average" driving skills will be able to shift a manual 'consistently' enough to stay up with the Tip,

I loved my manual 996TT and I love my 997TT Tip. I am not 'let down, disappointed or bored' by any stretch of the imagination going from such a fast manual to my Tip, period! How could anyone posibbly argue that you won't get better at braking and picking your lines when you no longer have to worry about heel/toe and shifting to match RPM to speed to gear.

If it were not so, then pray tell, why do the 'PROS' no longer use manual transmissions?

I wonder if the driver who drove the 997TT Tip one second slower than the manual around the Hockenheim would describe the Tip as MKSGR did as "boring Tip version"?

IMHO, there is now way one laps the Hockenheim in those kind of times in a 'boring' car!

RC appears to be one of the better drivers who USED to frequent this board (yes I know he started and runs the board!) My money says that few 'if any' people arguing the merits of manual over Tip could beat RC on the road or track when he is driving his 'boring' Tip.

There is a vast difference between Tiptronic and F1 type transmission. I know I own both. If the Tip can stay with manual imagine what a F1 can do.

99% of the drivers in this forum will be faster on a track or otherwise with a F1 tranny. The other one percentage just do not know how to use a F1.

Nick,

I agree that there is a big difference between a F1 and a Tiprronic transmission. However, I would also point out that there is a big difference between the 2007 997TT tiptronic transmission and all other (older) tiptronic transmissions!

I have driven both Tip and manual and F1 gearboxed Ferrari and Aston Martin and prefer the Tip over them all.

I found the gearing for smaller roads/twistys of the manual 997TT was such (IMO) that you were stirring the box constantly which took your concentration off the boil(and the road ahead)that it slowed down rapid progress.
    The F1 box I had in my 575 Maranello was the harshest thing ever even when feathering the throttle, the Aston Vanquish S was much smoother but regularily got caught out on down shifts between gears etc.Admittedley these cars are more GT than Sports car but I am comparing the gearboxes.

Tip every time for me until DSG comes out and then I will change only if it is better.

Finally, we get someone talking from experience! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tulsa Turbo,

Todd at EVO PMed me a few days ago and said they have found a solution for the step down problem. I'm waiting to hear back from him as to what specifically the solution is. He also told me that the new package "690R" should work in the tip as well. As soon as I hear I'll put it on the board. If you hear first please do the same. Seems like we "tipsters" gotta stick together.

Tulsa,

I did not want to write a response to your post but...

Here is MY opinion:
    -you are true automatic gearbox fan, no matter who is faster TIP or manual
    -you own TIP and for me that is all the things that I need to know

BTW, pros like TIP more... What pros? The one from USA you mean?
    OK. What about W.Rohrl-his preference is manual in 997 turbo. Of course, he is without any knowledge I guess...

Hockenheim difference is measured by true professional, not by average driver... And according to this pro TIP version is simply awsome for city and autobahn driving, but for Nordschleife or Hockenheim it is crap(his words, not mine)... Manual with LSD offers much more control and better traction in curves...

My 997 turbo will be manual with LSD. Your is TIP.
    So, what? 997 turbo is the only true sportscar in the world where you can choose type of connection between man and the machine! You like Borg style collective mind, me not(I like to control every gearchage by myself!).

My point is the difference between speed of both versions is very small indeed... It will depend more on driver(experience etc.) then on gearbox IMHO.
    Of course, you may(or will) disagree here big time...

All in all 997 turbo is excellent car-manual or TIP. That is my HUMBLE opinion.

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    MKSGR,

How often do you track your turbo ? I ask only because ALL owners I know in the LI/NY area do NOT track their cars. The races are won and lost on the Long Island Expressway, Seaford- Oyster Bay Expressway, Jericho Turnpike, etc. I know you don't know these roads (probably not) but it seems to me that almost all of the races with the big 4 (997TT,F430,Gallardo,ZO6) that I have seen come down to one thing alone - driver skill. Your one second per lap difference may be huge on a track (it IS huge on a real track in a real race), BUT in the real world, on MY streets, your one second difference is, with all due respect, meaningless. IMHO, whether a car is easy to drive fast is MUCH more important than a .5 second difference in 0-60, 0-100, 0-200. Again, I don't diagree with your analysis, only the end result. For example, one blown shift, no one sloppy shift and a slower Gallardo will spank a Z06. The tip 997TT IS less engaging/fun than a 6 speed, but when you really want to drop the hammer, me with less skill than my adversary, has a shot to win....why.....the tip launches fairly easily and more importantly maintains boost b/w shifts. Anyway, if I was rich (and I'm not) I would have 5 cars - all of the big 4 and tt in both tip and stick. One can dream. Maybe if I married rich/won the lottery I'd have a Veyron to boot.

I agree that the discussed performance differences are pretty meaningless in real life.

My point is that Porsche has failed in developing an appropriate product, a product (again) located at the top position in the performance sports car segment.

The 993TT had this top position. The 996TT had it. The 997TT has lost it.

That is very frustrating to me

Hopefully, Porsche will suffer from slower sales of their model range. That might make them change their minds to the better. Only performance matters

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    I wonder if the driver who drove the 997TT Tip one second slower than the manual around the Hockenheim would describe the Tip as MKSGR did as "boring Tip version"?

I am positive he would describe it as "boring" compared to the Manual

And I am also positive that I chose my words with intent

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:
    Finally, we get someone talking from experience! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Most of the talking on this board is based on experience.

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:

Markus speaks from experience. Hundreds of thousands of kilometres on the Autobahn, many among them high-speed driving. I'd say the man knows what he is saying.

Hmm? Experience driving a 997TT Tip?

Again, the experience I am talking about is experience driving a 997TT Tip? I would be shocked if most the talking on this board is from experienced 997TT Tip drivers!

Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:

I believe he tested both, as did mumbasic, who found it utterly disappointing and thus ordered the manual.

As for Markus, the poor soul, he is now relegated to driving a Ferrari .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:

I believe he tested both, as did mumbasic, who found it utterly disappointing and thus ordered the manual.

...and you forgot Rami, Atomic80(Jason) and some other members who had a chance to drive both versions and ended with manual(with optional LSD).

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:

...and you forgot Rami, Atomic80(Jason) and some other members who had a chance to drive both versions and ended with manual(with optional LSD).

Need I add more?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TulsaTurbo said:

That you put very nicely

P.S.: I still like Porsche very much...

KresoF1, MKSGR, Crash,

I feel like I am being painted into a corner of someone who is a pure Tip fan and not a manual transmission fan. Nothing could be further from the truth. If one will reread my past posts I consistently say 'I loved my 996TT manual!"

I enjoy the post from all three of you and have a commanding respect for your opinions.

My primary goal in my posts is to make sure that all the facts are on the table regarding the Tip. Again, in my previous posts, I was clear that I really disliked my Tip when I first got it. It took me a while, but once I learned to drive the car such that it was constantly in the meaty part of the powerban, I learned to like it a lot.

I like manual so much it was a very tough decision to get the Tip. I wouldn't hesitate one second to by a manual with LSD. They are great cars, every bit as good as mine with a Tip. I do not proclaim that one is better then the other. I do claim that both are great cars.

KresoF!: It was not my intent to imply that 'PROS' like Tip more. I was trying to say that the 'PROS' have moved away from manual transmission in many if not most race cars because manuals cannot be shifted (even by the PROS) as consistently perfect as computer can shift a car. My point was even a PRO would have a hard time not losing ground to a Tip during shifting. Finally, your last point is exactly the point I was truing to make. The performance of both cars is so close that the drivers will ultimately determine the winner in a heads-up battle! On this we whole-heartedly agree!

Cheers to all three of you!

"...had a chance to drive both versions" and having enough experience to know how to drive the Tip well enough to maximize its potential are two entirely different things.

This is the point I have tried (with little to no success!) to make over and over again!

RC also tried to make this point. Do you not think RC knows what he is talking about? Does his notable experience and opinion not mean anything?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780873 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442552 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263338 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261666 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85801 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5912 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881419 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818845 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM