Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tested the New CTT on track today

As part of an article to feature in EVO next month we took the new CTT and compared it on track with the AMG ML63. The CTT came with Michelin Diamaris tyres on 20" rims and it also had PDDC. Otherwise it seemed pretty much as I remember the last CTT that I drove. Apart from the obvious aesthetic changes it really did not seem that different.

We took them on track and set times around Bedford Autodrome in the UK. PDDC worked well and kept it flat and roll free even at cornering speeds well above 100mph, going through right-left switchbacks was most impressive and with PSM fully switched off it was very controllable on the limit, with most of the quickest corners taken with the tail well sideways!

Brakes held up pretty well until my last stint as daylight was coming to an end. I pulled into the pits and when I got out the brake discs were glowing 'bright red'. Amazing. I've never seen brakes that hot on a road car.

For the full scoop get yourself a copy of next months EVO magazine. I am happy to answer any specific questions (if I can) on the way the CTT drove, but will leave the key details of the comparison test for when you read a copy of the magazine article.

Re: Tested the New CTT on track today

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review. Will definitely get a copy of EVO.

My question is whether PDDC will benefit regular city driving at around speed limit (with no intention of track or off road use), or will it be a waste of money. Thanks.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Hi Steve,

My question is whether PDDC will benefit regular city driving at around speed limit (with no intention of track or off road use), or will it be a waste of money. Thanks.

I drove one today in London, and even in a little spirited inner city driving the difference with PDDC is clearly noticeable - I will be speccing it on my upcoming Cayenne TT

Quote:
    crayphile said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Hi Steve,

My question is whether PDCC will benefit regular city driving at around speed limit (with no intention of track or off road use), or will it be a waste of money. Thanks.

I drove one today in London, and even in a little spirited inner city driving the difference with PDDC is clearly noticeable - I will be speccing it on my upcoming Cayenne TT

Thanks for the reply. Your comment is particularly valid as you are owner of a CTTS. Now I need to cut some of the cosmetic stuffs out of my order to accomodate this PDCC...

"The Cayenne sounds like a cross between a food-mixer and a vaccum cleaner..."

Really?...

OZRacing

Quote:
    ozr said:
    "The Cayenne sounds like a cross between a food-mixer and a vaccum cleaner..."

Really?...

OZRacing

I preferred the ML, but they were more closely matched on track than any of us expected.

But yes, I wasn't being derogatory by describing the noise of the Cayenne as being so strange. It wasn't a V8 noise, nor a typical exhaust noise, and I can't really say it was an appealing noise. It sounded familiar just burbling around in the pit lane, but up at 6000 rpm and above it sounded more like a kitchen appliance. I would definitely be aiming to change the exhaust system in some way if it was my car.

I don't think it had a sports exhaust, as it was a relatively moderately specced press car. So perhaps the sports exhaust may have helped this.

For those of you considering PDDC, I would say that you can definitely feel its benefits at low speeds, although at higher speeds it reduces some of the turn-in agility. Overall it provides terrific stability and reassurance, so I would certainly order a CTT with it included. Also despite the lack of roll, it still provides very good ride comfort.

My only criticism, that I may have already mentioned was the way it lifted the front end under acceleration. I don't remember that being an issue with the previous generation CTT but am not sure if this has anything to do with PDDC. You can feel the front lift from the drivers seat, but otherwise there are no detrimental effects of this happening.

Well the article was published yesterday and makes very interesting reading.

Since I was sitting in each of the cars when the laptimes were set, I know Jethro gave equal commitment to the task. So, both Cayenne and ML63 were quicker on track than the Lotus Elise S. Ok, once you've let that sink in let me then tell you that the Elise was running on 'R' spec tyres, whilst the ML63 was running on all-season 4x4 tyres..

Later in the day I was riding with Jethro in the Elise, whilst experiencing the surreal feeling of the ML63 closing on us around the lap. He had to give it everything it was worth just to stay ahead.

What doesn't come across so clearly from the article is that the ML63 was quicker than the Cayenne Turbo around a lap. Because the Cayenne's ESP system could be completely turned off it managed to carry more speed through the fastest corner, otherwise the ML felt quicker, sounded quicker and reached higher speeds along the straights.

Putting these lap times in perspective, both ML63 and Cayenne lapped Bedford's west circuit as quickly as the latest M5. Think about that. All of them with over 500bhp on tap, but one of them a genuine 'sports saloon' and indeed one of the fastest saloon cars in the world. Yet the SUVs lapped as quickly.

The supposedly inept 4x4 ML lapped as quickly as an SL600 or SL55. And quicker than an S65 AMG. So in other words, next to the SLK55 the ML63 is thus far the quickest AMG yet tested on the circuit.

Other scalps worthy of a mention include; new Jag XK, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi EVO 260, Bentley Continental GT, Golf R32, Monaro VXR, Lotus Europa. A Porsche 997 was just over 1 second quicker on a lap, likewise a Roush Mustang 420RE.

As far as outright acceleration is concerned;

0-60 (mph) - 4.7s - 4.6s (Cayenne TT - ML63)

0-100 (mph) - 11.4s - 11.0s

0-120 (mph) - 16.8s - 15.9s

That latter time by the way is faster than any M-BMW except the latest M5/M6.

1/4 mile - 13.2s - 13.1s

@108mph (Cayenne TT)
    @109mph (ML63)

and finally;

0-100-0 (mph) - 16.46s - 16.62s (Cayenne TT - ML63).

Although by the time I had finished with the Cayenne its brakes were glowing red-hot and felt crap.

Some other factoids that I haven't mentioned;

Lap times; (circuit length 1.8 miles, punctuated by two hairpin bends)

Cayenne TT - 1:29.55
    ML63 - 1:30.05
    Elise S: 1:30.20

The lap time for the ML63 is slower than it should be because we were sharing the track with a corporate race experience event and the marshalls had placed cones back on the track when we came to set the ML's time. These made entry to the slowest corner too tight and lost around 3-4 tenths of a second.

When we weighed the cars, we got the following results;

Cayenne TT - 2476kg (54% front, 46% rear)
    ML63 - 2313kg (56% front, 44% rear)
    Elise S - 863kg (38% front, 62% rear)

The Cayenne was riding on Michelin Diamaris 20" tyres, the ML63 was riding on the Continental 4x4 tyres, and the Elise was running on R-spec soft compound Avons.

Top speeds reached around the Milbrook banked oval were;

Cayenne TT - 164.6mph (if you add around 5% more for driving on the flat then this validates the claim of 171mph)
    ML63 - 159.8mph (speed limiter intervened, but there was plenty more to come)

The conclusion from this test was that the Elise was the more natural track partner (no surprise there), but that the two uber-SUVs, especially the ML63 are genuinely fast and sporting cars in their own right and deliver the same level of performance as a 997 C2S.

Read the full article in Issue 104 of EVO.

Hey Steve,

your article contains a lot of surprising information! looking forward when #104 hit the newstands.

from now on, we will expect to see powerful SUVs on our track days, and beating a lot of us unfortunately...

Thank you for the preview and results. Fascinating really!

Out of curiosity was there any really noticeable difference in sport and normal transmission modes for making lap times?

And just how close were the Porsche 997 and the Roush Mustang 420RE to each other? what spec 997 was tested?

Thanks!

I should have mentioned that they were both lapped in 'manual' mode, although neither auto box was very adept at giving the right gears when asked on the circuit. Very frustrating in fact.

They were also both set to the most sporty chassis setting possible. PDDC is engaged without any driver intervention, but we needed to select Sport for both damper and gearbox modes.

The Cayenne had the ESP system completely switched out, whereas this was not possible in the ML63 and therefore it kept interrupting progress particularly on the faster corners. The Cayenne could be drifted from the rear in beautiful slides at well over 100 mph, showing just how controllable the chassis can be - so if it's that good on a track then it is more than good enough for any situation that might arise on the road.

My reference to Porsche 997 and Roush Mustang were tests performed on other days at the same circuit. They are listed in the back of the magazine and useful for context. Unfortunately I wasn't present at either of those sessions.

thanks Steve.I remember that tiff needel in his ml 63 test obtained by mb the possibility to disengage the esp trough new pc setup on car's ecu

Quote:
    andrea said:
    thanks Steve.I remember that tiff needel in his ml 63 test obtained by mb the possibility to disengage the esp trough new pc setup on car's ecu

I tried that, but it seems to disengage other control systems including power steering and ABS, which is not so good.

So basically the CTT needs more power... Where is the TTS?

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Well the article was published yesterday and makes very interesting reading.

Since I was sitting in each of the cars when the laptimes were set, I know Jethro gave equal commitment to the task. So, both Cayenne and ML63 were quicker on track than the Lotus Elise S. Ok, once you've let that sink in let me then tell you that the Elise was running on 'R' spec tyres, whilst the ML63 was running on all-season 4x4 tyres..

Later in the day I was riding with Jethro in the Elise, whilst experiencing the surreal feeling of the ML63 closing on us around the lap. He had to give it everything it was worth just to stay ahead.

What doesn't come across so clearly from the article is that the ML63 was quicker than the Cayenne Turbo around a lap. Because the Cayenne's ESP system could be completely turned off it managed to carry more speed through the fastest corner, otherwise the ML felt quicker, sounded quicker and reached higher speeds along the straights.

Putting these lap times in perspective, both ML63 and Cayenne lapped Bedford's west circuit as quickly as the latest M5. Think about that. All of them with over 500bhp on tap, but one of them a genuine 'sports saloon' and indeed one of the fastest saloon cars in the world. Yet the SUVs lapped as quickly.

The supposedly inept 4x4 ML lapped as quickly as an SL600 or SL55. And quicker than an S65 AMG. So in other words, next to the SLK55 the ML63 is thus far the quickest AMG yet tested on the circuit.

Other scalps worthy of a mention include; new Jag XK, Nissan 350Z, Mitsubishi EVO 260, Bentley Continental GT, Golf R32, Monaro VXR, Lotus Europa. A Porsche 997 was just over 1 second quicker on a lap, likewise a Roush Mustang 420RE.

As far as outright acceleration is concerned;

0-60 (mph) - 4.7s - 4.6s (Cayenne TT - ML63)

0-100 (mph) - 11.4s - 11.0s

0-120 (mph) - 16.8s - 15.9s

That latter time by the way is faster than any M-BMW except the latest M5/M6.

1/4 mile - 13.2s - 13.1s

@108mph (Cayenne TT)
    @109mph (ML63)

and finally;

0-100-0 (mph) - 16.46s - 16.62s (Cayenne TT - ML63).

Although by the time I had finished with the Cayenne its brakes were glowing red-hot and felt crap.

Some other factoids that I haven't mentioned;

Lap times; (circuit length 1.8 miles, punctuated by two hairpin bends)

Cayenne TT - 1:29.55
    ML63 - 1:30.05
    Elise S: 1:30.20

The lap time for the ML63 is slower than it should be because we were sharing the track with a corporate race experience event and the marshalls had placed cones back on the track when we came to set the ML's time. These made entry to the slowest corner too tight and lost around 3-4 tenths of a second.

When we weighed the cars, we got the following results;

Cayenne TT - 2476kg (54% front, 46% rear)
    ML63 - 2313kg (56% front, 44% rear)
    Elise S - 863kg (38% front, 62% rear)

The Cayenne was riding on Michelin Diamaris 20" tyres, the ML63 was riding on the Continental 4x4 tyres, and the Elise was running on R-spec soft compound Avons.

Top speeds reached around the Milbrook banked oval were;

Cayenne TT - 164.6mph (if you add around 5% more for driving on the flat then this validates the claim of 171mph)
    ML63 - 159.8mph (speed limiter intervened, but there was plenty more to come)

The conclusion from this test was that the Elise was the more natural track partner (no surprise there), but that the two uber-SUVs, especially the ML63 are genuinely fast and sporting cars in their own right and deliver the same level of performance as a 997 C2S.

Read the full article in Issue 104 of EVO.

Interesting data, but not really surprised, given modern chassis tech/tires, tranny shiftspeeds, stab ctrls, CCM, etc allow 4000lb 599s to prob rival/beat tracktimes/N-ring times of many lighter, more one-dimensional alleged sports/supercars....

Some 5 yrs ago, several jaded guys who then owned 4300lb SL55 and 3200lb 360 in their fleets would often observe that SL55 was just as engaging/entertaining in mtn twisties as 360.... ...N-ring times of SL55 vs 360/430 vs 997S Coupe (let alone Cab) are always amusing to compare .....and I suspect many at FNA observed how many frequent-repeat F buyers seemed to also be addicted to their humble SL55, as F considered its objectives for 599....

Dial fwd 5 yrs of motor/tranny/stab ctrls/hardware/software/braking/tire tech advances....and it's not at all surprising that those same jaded buyers now will do own back-to-back comparo drives of 4000lb 599 vs 4600lb CL63 in mtn twisties....

BTW, are the SL55 lap times you cite those of '07 SL55 w/030 Package(w/ABC 2.0, LSD, upgraded brakes, 15 more hp/lb-ft, etc)? And are the S65 times achieved w/'07 w/paddleshifters (in manual mode) and 20" wheels/tires? (I vaguely recall an evo issue w/'07 S65 w/19" wh/tires and wood/leather, non-paddleshifter steering wheel).....

Also, any thoughts on translation btwn N-ring times and evo track times? I vaguely recall last-gen CTT as having a rather pathetic N-ring time (?8:40ish).....would you speculate that new ML/CTT would have comparable N-ring times to SL55/S65?? If not, why? Does chassis damping/stab ctrls of SUVs not fare well vs bumpy mtn twisties, as opposed to a smooth, flat track?

Quote:
    SteveD said:

When the brakes are cold and hot, between the ML63 and Cayenne TT, which one has less brake pedal travel and approximately how many inches of travel?

Very impressive. If porsche would put the cayenne on a diet and do a serious facelift, they would have a winner. (the recent facelift is an improvement, but not enough) I just examined a brand new Land Rover in a parking lot yesterday and it is by far the only SUV that has the looks to match its price tag.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Very impressive. If porsche would put the cayenne on a diet and do a serious facelift, they would have a winner. (the recent facelift is an improvement, but not enough) I just examined a brand new Land Rover in a parking lot yesterday and it is by far the only SUV that has the looks to match its price tag.

which Land Rover are you referring to? RR or RRS? Whichever, it's a matter of taste - a subjective thing

I believe it was the the RR(didn't have the big wheel wells of the sport), I just looked at the land rover website to make sure. It was brand new, in black and the shine was very nice. It just looked classy with enough bling, headlights, to be a winner.

The interior was not as good as I have seen in some other RR's or some pics though but still nice. It looks wealthy, whereas the Cayenne does not look like its price tag. The LR3 is nice also.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I believe it was the the RR(didn't have the big wheel wells of the sport), I just looked at the land rover website to make sure. It was brand new, in black and the shine was very nice. It just looked classy with enough bling, headlights, to be a winner.

The interior was not as good as I have seen in some other RR's or some pics though but still nice. It looks wealthy, whereas the Cayenne does not look like its price tag. The LR3 is nice also.

I agree with you. The Range Rover just has "class" written all over it.

I cannot find this article in the May EVO. Am I missing something? Can someone copy and post, please?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780533 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442478 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261590 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85745 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818569 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM