Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Australia F1 Grand Prix: Only 3 days to go

Only three days to go now, the five month wait is almost over. And fortunately for me, my F1 tv-channel shows the whole race weekend, practice, qual, race

I'm so exited for this season:
    * Will Kimi be a success in Ferrari?
    * How will Ferrari cope without MS and Ross Brawn?
    * Will the McLaren last an entire race?
    * What will Renaults pace be this season?
    * Will the Honda car go faster without the "burden" of sponsors on it?
    * And what about all the others?
    * How long will it take for Anthony Davidson (in Super Aguri/Honda) to replace the "over the hill" driver, Rubens Barrichello, in Honda?
    And most important: Will Alonsos new haircut make him look even more gay

Gentlemen start your engines!!

Tha cars have arrived in Melbourne, here's a Ferrari being unloaded:

Re: Australia F1 Grand Prix: Only 3 days to go

The McLarens being rolled in. My guess is that at least one of them will be rolled in during the race as well

HA!

I too am excited about this season. I really hope it's more competitave than the past few years because Im getting really tired of waking up at 4 or 5 in the morning to watch the race. I do have a tivo, but there is something about watching a live race even from half way around the world... at least if it's you know... marginally exciting.

I think Mclaren will have a competitave car when it works properly. Renault will probably struggle with having a non champion led team, and if Ferrari has sorted their reliability and tire problems it think they will be front runners. With all of the change in the teams and regulations this could turn out to be the most entertaining season in years.

Now all the sport needs is some hard partying, hard driving chain smokers behind the wheel and winning the races to make the after race interviews more exciting!

I'm watching for sure.

JT

BTW It would be pretty cool if Honda could make a good season happen with real wins and not just a bad weather fluke (which was still good to see).

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    [...] Im getting really tired of waking up at 4 or 5 in the morning to watch the race [...]

Ahhh, same problem whenever we want to watch the Oscars. Simply ridiculous holding it at 5pm PST on a Sunday when everyone has to go to work the next morning. The Oscars coverage only starts in the UK at 1am on Monday morning....

Temm, are you in Melbourne? I live 5 mins from Albert Park. Will be there for qualifying and race day. Can't wait!!! Go Massa!

I wish, but unfortunately no
    I'll have to watch it on tv, at 4 a.m

From my office in the city I can see all the stands being set up every year. I get excited just talking about the start of another F1 season. Now who wants to wager with me that Massa will out race Kimi???

It's about time they're all using the same tires! With so much talk about reducing F1 Team budgets, isn't it incredible that such a simple way to do so would take this long?

Now we can really see which car/driver combo is the best.

Let the fun begin.

I'm very excited! I had to re-watch several of last years races just to tie me over till the new season starts.

Lot's of questions. Many new faces with new teams. I think Massa is going to come out hot. Ferrari isn't going to give up three races at the beginning of the year again. Kimi will come on stronger as the year goes on and he gets more comfortable in the car and with the team.
    Kimi will have a big laugh when he passes Alonso parked on the side of the track! I'm not too sure what Alonso was thinking. He could have had a third championship in hand, but gave the oppurtunity away.
    I'm hoping Scott Speed can do better this year with better (much better) equipment.

I think that the McLaren will last the whole race but Ferrari will walk through everyone with their cars. At least in the beginning of the season will their advantage of working with Bridgestone all these years.

Massa has been consistently stronger than Kimi in all the pre-season but testing is one thing and a full race is another thing so who knows which will lead the race. I think Kimi has greater potential and as the season passes will outperform Massa, but Massa may be stronger initially.

Wonder how Renault is going to do without Alonso, if it weren't for him, the other drivers never did much in the cahmpionship so they would need to have a fantastic car to be able to kepp up for the whole season and I don't see that happening.

And I'm really looking foward to seeing Kovalainen, he's got so much potential, and looks just like a younger version of Alonso when he started in F1.

I'm very excited. I think it will be one of the most competitive seasons in the last 10 years. I'm still confused by Massa being so much faster than Kimi, I hope that changes.

I'm so glad that know they all sue the same tires, that in itself is the biggest exitement factor in my opinion, taking the tire factor out of the ecuation will add so much more, the tires were getting to be the main defining factor in the finishing clasification of each race sometimes, no matter the car or the driver.

That is now gone, though those teams that have been working with bridgestone previously will have an advantage, at least initially, in that the car's suspensions&electronics will be more adapted to the tires, and they have more information and experience when it comes to picking the right compound mixture for each race/asfalt conditions.

Watch for Raikkonen to poll and win.

Kubica 2nd

Massa 3rd

Alonso DNF'd

McLaren will be the shocker. Alonso to win and what's his Mcname to take second place. Ferrari's Massa will take third place.

Kimi, who loves all things spelled Beer, has too much temptation in Oz. Hangovers and beer spell slow or worse for him. For him I think it will be 4th or Fail.

Button, the pom's Great Brit Hope - a lucky fifth!

Forget this If I am right, Fry me if I am wrong!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    McLaren will be the shocker. Alonso to win and what's his Mcname to take second place. Ferrari's Massa will take third place.

Kimi, who loves all things spelled Beer, has too much temptation in Oz. Hangovers and beer spell slow or worse for him. For him I think it will be 4th or Fail.

Button, the pom's Great Brit Hope - a lucky fifth!

Forget this If I am right, Fry me if I am wrong!

I'll fire up the barbecue on sunday Jim
    My money is on Lewis Hamilton taking out his team mate in the first corner

Brundle on 2007

Quote:

ITV commentator Martin Brundle believes Ferrari driver Felipe Massa is capable of winning the 2007 Formula 1 drivers' world championship.

Speaking in his ITV-F1.com preview, Martin claims that the 24-year-old two-time grand prix winner has improved so much over the past year that he is now in a position to fight for the title.

"Do I think Massa can win the world championship? The answer is yes," said Brundle.

"I have never seen a driver improve as much as he has.

Quote:
    If McLaren provides Alonso with a reliable car then I think with his pace, and the way the team goes racing, they can definitely fight for the title.

As a partnership, he and McLaren have gelled even faster than I thought they would.

The first thing I will look out for in Melbourne is whether he still has that unique driving style.

The way he used to drive the Renault was ugly but effective.

He threw it at corners and waited for the understeer to fade away whilst getting on the power early, but was that a reaction to the Renault and its rear weight distribution or is it just how he drives? He says he has always driven like that.

Team-mate Lewis Hamilton doesn't drive like that at all, in fact he gets the nose in really early and dives for the apex.

If it's a style thing then Alonso needs a different set-up to team-mate Lewis Hamilton, and that will have an impact on McLaren.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Martin_Brundle&PO_ID=38624

Its true that Massa has improved a lot, in fact he has outperformed Kimi throughout the preseason so another interesting thing to look foward to seeing since Kimi was thought to be the substitute for Schumacher but now but Massa semms to have something to say about that.

Here is an interesting anectdote. Ross Brawn,ex-technical director for Ferrari, admited in a recent interview for BBC that Ferrari indeed had thought of two pilots to substitute Schumacher, Alonso along with Kimi, but when they contacted Alonso he had already signed with McLaren.

As much as I would like Alonso to win, I'm glad he is not in Ferrari, a Ferrari-Alonso combo would have given us F1 fans a boring monopoly of F1 by Ferrari in the following years this way we at least have more to look foward to.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Its true that Massa has improved a lot, in fact he has outperformed Kimi throughout the preseason so another interesting thing to look foward to seeing since Kimi was thought to be the substitute for Schumacher but now but Massa semms to have something to say about that.

Here is an interesting anectdote. Ross Brawn,ex-technical director for Ferrari, admited in a recent interview for BBC that Ferrari indeed had thought of two pilots to substitute Schumacher, Alonso along with Kimi, but when they contacted Alonso he had already signed with McLaren.

As much as I would like Alonso to win, I'm glad he is not in Ferrari, a Ferrari-Alonso combo would have given us F1 fans a boring monopoly of F1 by Ferrari in the following years this way we at least have more to look foward to.

Yes, it was boring when Schumacher dominated the field all the time. It should be an interesting season this year.

from where I live, I will surely be woken up tomorrow morning with the practice runs.

damn! its my day off work as well! but all's good.
    cant wait.

You going? I will try to go tomorrow for one of the practice sessions. If I can't make it then I will have to wait till Sat. I am going to be at the McLaren-Vodafone corporate box.

And if it rains?

I'm going to be in Seville this weekend with my wife....qualification on Saturday 17th and the race itself on Sunday 18th both start at 4am (Spanish time)...I plan to watch it during the middle of the night in my hotel room... Looking forward to enjoying plenty of tapas, flamenco, sherry, sangria, paella, arroz mmm plus my F1 'fix'...can't wait....F1 IS BACK!!!!

My video recorder is set to tape it so I can enjoy it all over again when I get back with a nice tub of ice cream....

My greatest passion in life is F1. I can not wait until this evening and the first practice on TV. I have been spending many hours running complete races in the home theater using my simulator. Great fun and very relaxing. After a couple of hours on the simulator going all out it can be tricky back on a real street. Anyone else run an F1 simulator?
    At any rate here is my prediction -
    Kimi will have a failure, Massa won't and will end up in 2nd behind Alonso. Lewis Hamilton will take 3rd. Kubica will give close chase and will lead for a lap or two trying for a late pit stop. He will end up in 4th.

Massa will take the pole. Kimi will have a poor qualifying run and not break the top 10 - beer and buts - he will be distracted. If Kimi is not careful he will have an Australian wake-up call like Mika had in Australia.

Those are my picks and I am sticking to them.
    Cheers down-under. I hear that the F1 female fans in Montreal are second only to the ones in Australia! That says alot!

I think it will be a dogfight for pole between Ferrari, Mclaren, and possibly BMW. I think Renault is close but not there. Hoping Williams can make a good showing and surprise some people.

I take Massa for the win and Alonso on the podium. I believe Lewis Hamilton will make alot of mistakes and crash out. Heikki Kovailenin will have an excellent race and come close to the podium.

I just hope there is competition and passing among many teams.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    And if it rains?

It did rain this morning, but the track should be dry now. I can just see the F1 cars going around the track from my office (but I am a long way away and on the 46th floor). But I can hear them! Sunday is not suppose to rain, and tomorrow is forcasted to rain only in the morning.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM