Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Monaco Supercars

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Yes. A customer of mine is actually a resident of the principality. She pays no taxes here. There was a massive public uproar when she moved there (how dare she), but I guess it's hard to hold a grudge against a world-record holder . She simply stated what everybody else already thought - we pay too much taxes.

From what she is telling me, all you need to do is hire/buy a place to stay and then apply. They usually conduct a series of interviews to see whether you are suitable to be residing there. Also, convicted felons can't apply.

You have to spend a certain amount of time / year in Monaco as well. Otherwise it might get difficult to be accepted as a regular citizen. There are countless numbers of fellow Europeans who rent a small apartment at ridiculous prices only to have a postal adress in town.

Anyways, back to cars...

One sees lots of high-end cars in MC...but have my doubts re: depth of MC (or EU) mkt for new, $200K+ cars....

Supposedly, in '03, F struggled to sell then-new Enzo (@MSRP) in various EU mkts, incl France (presumably a convenient mkt where a few MC/Lond guys would source Enzo)...only some ?200-250 Enzos were allocated for EU mkt....

Today, 599 (some 300 units/yr into EU) is apparently readily available @MSRP (w/poss discount/freebies) within 1 yr, for buyer deciding today to spec one....IMO, not very robust demand, esp given how few units/yr are produced....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    One sees lots of high-end cars in MC...but have my doubts re: depth of MC (or EU) mkt for new, $200K+ cars....

Supposedly, in '03, F struggled to sell then-new Enzo (@MSRP) in various EU mkts, incl France (presumably a convenient mkt where a few MC/Lond guys would source Enzo)...only some ?200-250 Enzos were allocated for EU mkt....

Today, 599 (some 300 units/yr into EU) is apparently readily available @MSRP (w/poss discount/freebies) within 1 yr, for buyer deciding today to spec one....IMO, not very robust demand, esp given how few units/yr are produced....

Not everyone is a car nut in the EU . Plus, anybody with an exotic is labeled as a drug dealer here .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Not everyone is a car nut in the EU . Plus, anybody with an exotic is labeled as a drug dealer here .

...or a property developer. A british friend, who lives over here (Austria) told me P-cars are considered a typical property developers car in GB....so he got an RS4 and i got porsche....i love my car!

Not true IMHO - property developers love Audi TTs & Merc CLKs...not so much Porsches. Really wealthy property developers go straight for Bentley Continental GTs.

Porsches in the UK are typically driven by car enthusiasts and investment bankers and all types of unspecified others...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Not true IMHO - property developers love Audi TTs & Merc CLKs...not so much Porsches. Really wealthy property developers go straight for Bentley Continental GTs.

Porsches in the UK are typically driven by car enthusiasts and investment bankers and all types of unspecified others...

thanks! while i'm in a completely different business, i want to become an IB one day mýself. so i got the right car, at least. LOL!

This is interesting. Is monaco a soveriegn "state" that has always been independent of france?

If so, then they should a) have international recognition like from the UN, and b) if france tried to absorb it, it would be an invasion of sorts. (fat guys in bikini's)

Or is it a tourist stamp issuing thing like san marino?

It is a principality and AFAIK it is an independent, sovereign state. It uses the Euro for its currency and relies on France for military protection and diplomatic representation overseas.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    This is interesting. Is monaco a soveriegn "state" that has always been independent of france?

If so, then they should a) have international recognition like from the UN, and b) if france tried to absorb it, it would be an invasion of sorts. (fat guys in bikini's)

Or is it a tourist stamp issuing thing like san marino?

It has never been a part of Franche AFAIK, and

a) they have been a member of the UN since the 28th of May 1993.

b) "an invasion of sort" indeed, as I doubt they have any military except for the palace guards and their police

They are living on the "mercy" of France, it's just not worth it for France to take control of it due to all the diplomatic fuss that would follow.

In fact it almost happened in 1962. The state was besieged by the French army, until Prince Rainier consented to make French residents pay French income taxes.

So French citizens domiciled in Monaco still pay French tax? That crazy It makes a total mockery of Monegasque sovereignty if its power to refuse to tax Monegasque domiciled residents is not respected by its neighbour!

How about American citizens? They have to pay American taxes in the entire world on top of local taxes.

(in fact bilateral tax treaties do reduce the amount of taxes paid to the IRS, but still, what a rip-off! ).

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    How about American citizens? They have to pay American taxes in the entire world on top of local taxes.

(in fact bilateral tax treaties do reduce the amount of taxes paid to the IRS, but still, what a rip-off! ).

So don't pay anything to the IRS. If you've seen the documentary posted on Rennteam a few months ago, they clearly state that income tax is unconstitutional. Can anybody find the link again? I thought it was a fascinating documentary.

Yes, US tax returns cover worldwide income no matter where those US citizens are domiciled.

Well, anyone who deals with global legal matters knows all too well how so many US federal laws are considered by US agencies to have extra-territorial effect. This concept has no basis in private or public international law. It runs contrary to the principle of the sovereignty of nation states.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    So don't pay anything to the IRS. If you've seen the documentary posted on Rennteam a few months ago, they clearly state that income tax is unconstitutional. Can anybody find the link again? I thought it was a fascinating documentary.

Unfortunately, it's a fairy tale. This argument has been tried countless times and the smartasses who tried that have always been laughed out of court. In fact not only laughed, but sentenced to huge fines and PMITA federal prison, too.

Not paying taxes is not an option, unless you accept you won't ever return to the US, won't fly anywhere close to the US (you might have to land in the US for an emergency, and you'd be arrested at customs), and won't even live in a country that has an extradition treaty with the US.

In addition, many US expats that were suspected to have abandoned their US citizenship in order to avoid paying taxes ended up on the no-fly list, so even that is not an option.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Unfortunately, it's a fairy tale. This argument has been tried countless times and the smartasses who tried that have always been laughed out of court. In fact not only laughed, but sentenced to huge fines and PMITA federal prison, too.

Not paying taxes is not an option, unless you accept you won't ever return to the US, won't fly anywhere close to the US (you might have to land in the US for an emergency, and you'd be arrested at customs), and won't even live in a country that has an extradition treaty with the US.

In addition, many US expats that were suspected to have abandoned their US citizenship in order to avoid paying taxes ended up on the no-fly list, so even that is not an option.

Interesting. So what you're saying is that the US will deny entry to its former citizens if it deems it appropriate? So much for the land of the free .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Funny enough, even in the generally crass US, most ascribe daily-driven F to be those of guys w/"don't ask, don't tell" money in various "suspect" locales ....perhaps 599 will be the first senior statesman F commuter car in relatively legit places like Greenwich/SilicVy/Lond....we'll see....

My sense is road conds/speed enforcement in EU, ex-Germany, are fairly similar to Eastern US....absurd...and would make many affluent car nuts simply opt for debadged S65/63/600 and driver...and save any rare self-driving excursions for time in S Germany.....

Is interesting that, just as in US, 1000s of guys in EU/Lond could easily afford any car; prob fly private @$5-10K/hr; have several $10MM++ primary/wkend houses; and yet have unremarkable cars.....prob best illustrates how thin the mkt for $100K+ cars is globally....

The UK has a great policy in taxes - when I moved to Tokyo i was employed by a UK company with my salary going to an off shore account held in Sydney by a Singapore bank. I only paid national insurance in the UK and collected by having it wired to a Tokyo account. The Japan government does not tax non-residents who are on assignment : ) Did that for three years until I married a Japanese girl!! Those were the days!

The catch was I could only stay in the UK for 89 days in any 12 month period - no issue there!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Yes, US tax returns cover worldwide income no matter where those US citizens are domiciled.

Well, anyone who deals with global legal matters knows all too well how so many US federal laws are considered by US agencies to have extra-territorial effect. This concept has no basis in private or public international law. It runs contrary to the principle of the sovereignty of nation states.

Need to consider many of the youngest, highest net worth guys in US are tech/hedge fund/pvt equity/VC guys who don't have much traditional W-2 income (more cap gains-oriented, when recognized); tend to be reasonably sharp quant guys; and often retain astute tax lawyers for advice.....

Capital and IQ can and will flow freely in this globalized, relatively liquid world ...and sharp, wealthy guys can easily choose to live in/move amongst places like SilicVy/Greenwich/NYC/Lond/Geneva, etc to arb unreasonable tax diffces if local gvmts fail to recognize relevance of high-achievers to local economy/infrastruc, etc.....

Several recent precedent examples exist of shrewd US techies/financiers who have executed legal strategies of temporarily changing nations/states of residence to arb tax diffces....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441558 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262695 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260838 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85111 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5516 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880552 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815695 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM