Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT should be 550HP !!

Hi all ,
    im customer for porsche for over past 13yrs, really was happy with all Porsche Turbo models having a modified 996TT & ordering 997tt which i might sell if M5 & M6 keep up with a 997TT , always wondering how the 997TT will set a standard in it class, performance, handling,..etc
    i used to have a 928GTS later 911 turbo 3.6 in the 90's to be right since ,94 in that time i used to play with cars like M5, M3, supras, zx's , even ferraries there was no comparison, came the 993TT nice AWD way faster then the 911T while the competitors still way slower then came the 996TT we see now that competitors BMW, AMG, Z06 & other Japenese brands will come up year a new Skyline who never were close or think of challenge Porsche am afraid they will set standard like the Z06 now, why not Porsche since they have better engineering a relaibilty to raise the HP to 550hp instead 480hp when the others went up to 400hp N/A engine with one bottom technology changed to 507hp i think you know which engine am talking about. i really were expect more performance 997TT without waiting for the S models & GT2

Re: 997TT should be 550HP !!

You had modified 996tt and you dont want to modify this one ?! This is not a major issue for me.. he major issue is the PDK gearbox

Quote:
    Oman911turbo said:
    Hi all ,
    im customer for porsche for over past 13yrs, really was happy with all Porsche Turbo models having a modified 996TT & ordering 997tt which i might sell if M5 & M6 keep up with a 997TT , always wondering how the 997TT will set a standard in it class, performance, handling,..etc
    i used to have a 928GTS later 911 turbo 3.6 in the 90's to be right since ,94 in that time i used to play with cars like M5, M3, supras, zx's , even ferraries there was no comparison, came the 993TT nice AWD way faster then the 911T while the competitors still way slower then came the 996TT we see now that competitors BMW, AMG, Z06 & other Japenese brands will come up year a new Skyline who never were close or think of challenge Porsche am afraid they will set standard like the Z06 now, why not Porsche since they have better engineering a relaibilty to raise the HP to 550hp instead 480hp when the others went up to 400hp N/A engine with one bottom technology changed to 507hp i think you know which engine am talking about. i really were expect more performance 997TT without waiting for the S models & GT2

Be serious. The owner of this board, a former rally driver, has trouble extracting the full performance out of the stock Turbo. If you want the car for drag racing, get a Corvette, it's much better suited for the job.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Oman911turbo said:
    Hi all ,

Be serious. The owner of this board, a former rally driver, has trouble extracting the full performance out of the stock Turbo. If you want the car for drag racing, get a Corvette, it's much better suited for the job.

i dont use my porsche only to drag races...
    but i think that porsche in drag must win its competitors.. all vettes ferraris .... like always was.

Sadly, the 997TT should be alot of things that it is not. Many members might think I am crazy, but among all the P-cars I have had, including Turbos and 928's, the 997TT just does not appeal to me like when the 996TT came out or even 993TT or the 964 turbo. Why??? I can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't lust after the 997TT like I did with the previous models. Oddly the GT3 is more appealing to me despite the big wing in the back. GT3 just seems more like a thorough bred than the TT. I wanted to trade my 06 C2S with the 997TT but when I saw it I changed my mind. The big factor is the performance and then the wheels which can be easily fixed. There was a time that no one would dare looking at you behing the light when you were in Porsche Turbo, those days are over

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Sadly, the 997TT should be alot of things that it is not. Many members might think I am crazy, but among all the P-cars I have had, including Turbos and 928's, the 997TT just does not appeal to me like when the 996TT came out or even 993TT or the 964 turbo. Why??? I can't quite put my finger on it but I just don't lust after the 997TT like I did with the previous models. Oddly the GT3 is more appealing to me despite the big wing in the back. GT3 just seems more like a thorough bred than the TT. I wanted to trade my 06 C2S with the 997TT but when I saw it I changed my mind. The big factor is the performance and then the wheels which can be easily fixed. There was a time that no one would dare looking at you behing the light when you were in Porsche Turbo, those days are over

i trade my CS for the new TT....
    my impressions of the car coulndt be better! the car is just amazing.. everything is perfect.. the CS is a hell of a car... but the TT...
    only one thing... could be faster. maybe cause my car is already new but honestly i didnt feel that fast.

i forgot about the wheels... hehe i dont know... but IMO the wheels of TT are amazing! so agressive like the car!

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

my impressions of the car coulndt be better! the car is just amazing.. everything is perfect.. the CS is a hell of a car... but the TT...
    only one thing... could be faster. maybe cause my car is already new but honestly i didnt feel that fast.

i forgot about the wheels... hehe i dont know... but IMO the wheels of TT are amazing! so agressive like the car!

Congratulations my friend, yes indeed it is a hell of a car no matter what. Who knows eventually I might get one. Mean while please keep us posted with the likes and dislikes

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

maybe u r right the only car im sorry that i sold it for the 996TT was a 911T 3.6 becuz it was RWD was fun to drive and power feeling not only that with that power in 94' the 911T was very fast car compared to others cars in its class, i use to play around with M5, supras, vettes & other cars that now as fast as the new TT i hope you got my point. Im not saying 997TT is bad or not cool, just need at least another 70hp to feel power since its AWD. Anyway promisse u guys in JAN when 997TT will com i will video a race with the 996TT be4 selling it.
    here a 7sec clip mobile video racing the 996 note the 996 pass me after shifting the third gear
    http://www.geocities.com/bassam10/996ttvs3.zip

Quote:
    Oman911turbo said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

maybe u r right the only car im sorry that i sold it for the 996TT was a 911T 3.6 becuz it was RWD was fun to drive and power feeling not only that with that power in 94' the 911T was very fast car compared to others cars in its class, i use to play around with M5, supras, vettes & other cars that now as fast as the new TT i hope you got my point. Im not saying 997TT is bad or not cool, just need at least another 70hp to feel power since its AWD. Anyway promisse u guys in JAN when 997TT will com i will video a race with the 996TT be4 selling it.
    here a 7sec clip mobile video racing the 996 note the 996 pass me after shifting the third gear
    http://www.geocities.com/bassam10/996ttvs3.zip

You do know that the 911 Turbo has had AWD since the 993 model line, don't you?

I know that but last one was in 94 911 3.6 was RWD

There is a simple way to treat (i.e. tune) the "70 hp deficit" in a 997 TT. I did mine 1000 miles ago and I have enjoyed every single one of them. Much much quicker than stock.
    It should take care of your issue .

Quote:
    xandi911 said:i dont use my porsche only to drag races...
    but i think that porsche in drag must win its competitors.. all vettes ferraris .... like always was.

A Porsche was NEVER a drag strip toy. Get a Vette or a Viper for that.

Quote:
    Oman911turbo said:
    I know that but last one was in 94 911 3.6 was RWD

No problem. Get the new 997 GT2 - turbo RWD.

I still think a Porsche is not a drag strip toy. These cars are to be enjoyed on scenic mountain roads.

I loved my 94 C4 3.6 Turbo. There were not that many cars that could mess with it back then, with the mods I was putting out over 420 H.P. When I bought the 928GTS I was in love and parked the two next to each other and just stared at them with joy. When I bought my 1st 996, I liked it but still did not give me the same old feel of the 911 C4 Turbo and the interior was not as nice as the 928. When I bought the C4S I loved it but it was under powered. Now that I have the 997S, I think the car is perfect and for 355 H.P. it does hell of a job.

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

It's hard to compare a Stradale to anything else. They are so visceral. They feel alot faster than they are due to the beautiful music they make.

Why is it not a drag strip toy? Because it can't keep up? You guys are funny.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:

Yeah really. It's his car anyway. He should be able to enjoy it anyway he pleases. Besides with all that weigh over the rear they are great for drag racing.

Quote:
    Crash said:

Who's the ex-rally driver ???

RC ??? I didn't know that.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Texas911 said:

Yeah really. It's his car anyway. He should be able to enjoy it anyway he pleases. Besides with all that weigh over the rear they are great for drag racing.

You guys are really funny Come on now who care who drives what and who likes what, aren't we all here for one reason; WE ALL LOVE CARS, so the rest is just details. Thank God we don't all love the same things or think along the same line or life would be really boring

Would you take an F1 car or a LeMans Prototype/GT1/2 to the dragstrip to compete, no you'd take a dragster rail or funny car with a blower on it making gobs of power. They're fun for short hops in a straight line but useless in a corner.

If you put 1000HP into your turbo would you be happier? I would think you might decide the car is virtually undriveable and then focus on what makes it more fun to drive not what makes it a drag monster. Bigger brakes, lighter components, etc. all in an effort to make it a road course racer, not a street light burnout champ. Leave that to the muscle cars.

The top cars racing at Lemans today make not much more than 650HP and weigh 1100 kilos, beyond that the cars become undriveable without a significant reduction in weight and other aerodynamic aids. That's when you move to F1 at 600 kilos and 850HP. The 911 will never be able to get to that level but that is what it aspires to do.

It aspires to race on a road course not a dragstrip.

Plenty of other cars are available if straight line speed is what you're after.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    amazon said:

Lancia Delta HF Integrale, 2 years group N and a couple of months group A until my funding stopped (parents didn't want to pay anymore, sponsors weren't to keen to sponsor a "nobody"). More than 20 years ago, mentor was Ronald Holzer, a well know german champion (who was german rallye champion and has even won the Rallye Monte Carlo once in a group N car).

The 997 Turbo is a blast to drive but not as easy to drive at the limit like it was with the 996 Turbo. Whoever says that the 997 Turbo is too easy to drive may not have seen the limit yet. Squeaking tires and/or a heavy oversteer doesn't mean you reached the limit.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

Lancia Delta HF Integrale, 2 years group N and a couple of months group A until my funding stopped (parents didn't want to pay anymore, sponsors weren't to keen to sponsor a "nobody"). More than 20 years ago, mentor was Ronald Holzer, a well know german champion (who was german rallye champion and has even won the Rallye Monte Carlo once in a group N car).

The 997 Turbo is a blast to drive but not as easy to drive at the limit like it was with the 996 Turbo. Whoever says that the 997 Turbo is too easy to drive may not have seen the limit yet. Squeaking tires and/or a heavy oversteer doesn't mean you reached the limit.

I'm impressed. I had no idea about your driving back ground. I guess your passion for cars and driving comes from you're early age. Again,

BTW, when did that happen? Can I get a pic of that Lancia delta? Thanks

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:i dont use my porsche only to drag races...

A Porsche was NEVER a drag strip toy. Get a Vette or a Viper for that.

at least faster than ferraris the turbo always was....
    993TT X F355
    996TT X F360
    and now 997TT X F430... the difference in acceleration is smaller...
    off course porsche isnt just to drag... but who dont like to smooth a ferrari in an autobahn??

I love it when people knock the 997TT. I hope it causes others to have second thoughts and cancel their orders. Just may move my delivery date up a notch or two.

If acceleration means so little, why get a turbo? Get a regular 997.

I think you should appreciate the 997TT for what it is. A good all-rounder which is fairly easy to handle for most people, with more power than most people would ever need. It is very capable on a track as well, without being a thoroughbred like the GT3 (RS).

As others have said, if you want to drag and are mostly looking for straightline speed, there are other alternatives. You'd probably be better of with a cheaper alternative like the Z06 and maybe modify it.

But in my opinion a Z06 and a 997TT are worlds apart in so many aspects, apart from speed.

IMO, Ferrari and BMW M and also Lamborghinis improved themselves so much in last years.
    Just make a case,
    F355-->360-->F430 improvement in last ten years
    M5 E39&M3 E36---->M5 E60 & M3 E46 improvement in last ten years

Diablo-->Gallardo&Murcie high improvement

993-->996-->997 ?? Ok that car improved i a totally agree but does it catch the same improvement compared to it rivals.

I saw a huge diference between M5' also Lambos and 360 to F430 but 996 997 i see not a big difference also in performance

Doesnt it true??

480 hp for the 997TT would not be so bad if the car was 2-300 pounds lighter. I think this is where P has dropped the ball.

996 turbo 0-300 more than 60s
    997 turbo 0-300 40s .. ! ..

Are u sure about 60+second.

I ve heard some 48-50sec time about 996TTs

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781621 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442763 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261829 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85932 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819434 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM