Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

white 599 gtb

pics from fchat

Re: white 599 gtb

doesn't look bad at all in white , thought i'd still prefer it in black. Those wheels still look best to me, the challenge ones don't seem to suit the cars proportions as good!

IMO white is so passé

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO white is so passé

Hmmm, I guess two years ago you said something totally different.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO white is so passé

That was two years ago . So passé .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO white is so passé

IMO white was cool because it was different, it had kind of a shocking effect on people, especially with exclusive cars.

But now, when even BMW (M6 convertible) and Merc (CL) paint their press cars white... it's no longer avantgarde.

Matt grey is the new white. For the time being

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO white is so passé

IMO white was cool because it was different, it had kind of a shocking effect on people, especially with exclusive cars.

But now, when even BMW (M6 convertible) and Merc (CL) paint their press cars white... it's no longer avantgarde.

flat blk is where it's at

White doesn't suit the car nicely IMO. Thanks for the pics none the less!

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Very nice signature, Mike!

Quote:
    zzboba said:

True what you write about matt grey. But honestly, would you order a car in that, well is it a colour? It really looks like "mouse grey" to me, I don't like it, I already didn't like it at the old Audi TT, where it was shown first by Audi.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

True what you write about matt grey. But honestly, would you order a car in that, well is it a colour? It really looks like "mouse grey" to me, I don't like it, I already didn't like it at the old Audi TT, where it was shown first by Audi.

I wouldn't order a Ferrari in matt grey, but some other cars: Yes, I would.

1. "Battleship grey" is kind of classic, it was even Bond's favorite color for his Bentley Blower in the original Fleming novels. In Moonraker he crashes one and buys a second Bentley, again in Battleship Grey.

2. My first car (a W123 200 Merc) was white, and my second car (a W124 200D Merc) was painted mouse grey (like the car in the attach, mine wasn't a "T-Model" though). So it's like coming back.

3. It suits some cars great -- the Murcielago LP640 with dark rims looks just awesome in matt grey IMO.

I'm thinking about the CL 500 currently (please don't laugh rossi! ) and for my taste the "Flintgrau" finish could be even more matted.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

Very nice signature, Mike!

thanks

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

I wouldn't order a Ferrari in matt grey, but some other cars: Yes, I would.

1. "Battleship grey" is kind of classic, it was even Bond's favorite color for his Bentley Blower in the original Fleming novels. In Moonraker he crashes one and buys a second Bentley, again in Battleship Grey.

2. My first car (a W123 200 Merc) was white, and my second car (a W124 200D Merc) was painted mouse grey (like the car in the attach, mine wasn't a "T-Model" though). So it's like coming back.

3. It suits some cars great -- the Murcielago LP640 with dark rims looks just awesome in matt grey IMO.

I'm thinking about the CL 500 currently (please don't laugh rossi! ) and for my taste the "Flintgrau" finish could be even more matted.

The Murcielago really looks awesome in that color combination! However, what is so funny about the CL500? 390 bhp is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The Murcielago really looks awesome in that color combination! However, what is so funny about the CL500? 390 bhp is nothing to sneeze at.

Not really, but kind of stodgy. But I was referring to a statement I made some months ago when the first pictures of the CL occured -- and I wrote that it's ugly. Rossi will probably remember it, I guess.

But I changed my mind. As usual

Quote:
    zzboba said:

No kidding! Last time I've heard, you were considering the 650i .
    Gotta agree on the looks, though. I really disliked the CL when it came out, but it keeps looking better and better. How come you aren't considering the 63? Too little value for money compared to the 500?

i saw a white 599, it looked ugly, saw a white lp 640 looked gorgeous..

At least in coastal US, white cars are often associated w/unusually inept drivers.....

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Not really, but kind of stodgy. But I was referring to a statement I made some months ago when the first pictures of the CL occured -- and I wrote that it's ugly. Rossi will probably remember it, I guess.

Would opt for CL63 over 500...as you know, likely to be dramatic diffce in tq/steering/susp/brakes/exhaust note/paddleshifters/shiftspeeds, etc....

Got S550 for a few wks upon launch just to play w/new tech toys and eval MB quality w/so much new tech....was very impressed but need AMG engineering input to really enjoy car from a driver's standpoint.....will get CL550 for a few wks upon Nov/Dec US launch to play w/its new-tech toys before getting 63 in Mar-Apr07...

Surprisingly, getting first CL63 at my dealer is proving to be as/more difficult than getting one of first batch of SF 599s....same repeat F/MB buyer base is lobbying to get first copies of both cars at the same two F/MB dealers....small world of F/MB addicts....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Would opt for CL63 over 500...as you know, likely to be dramatic diffce in tq/steering/susp/brakes/exhaust note/paddleshifters/shiftspeeds, etc....

Got S550 for a few wks upon launch just to play w/new tech toys and eval MB quality w/so much new tech....was very impressed but need AMG engineering input to really enjoy car from a driver's standpoint.....will get CL550 for a few wks upon Nov/Dec US launch to play w/its new-tech toys before getting 63 in Mar-Apr07...

Surprisingly, getting first CL63 at my dealer is proving to be as/more difficult than getting one of first batch of SF 599s....same repeat F/MB buyer base is lobbying to get first copies of both cars at the same two F/MB dealers....small world of F/MB addicts....

The CL63 had a very bad review by sportauto: the engine does not seem to fit the heavy car. Not enough torque, poor auto tranny setup etc. Does not seem to be a convincing car...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The CL63 had a very bad review by sportauto: the engine does not seem to fit the heavy car. Not enough torque, poor auto tranny setup etc. Does not seem to be a convincing car...

So it is true? They should've kept the 55 for the E, CL and CLS cars ?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Interesting....as always, appreciate your insights, MKSGR

Have seen positive reviews in Car magazine, but will look forward to any test drive impressions you can offer (believe it's Jan07 Germany launch).....and if relatively unbiased but sophisticated drivers are also underwhelmed, will have to opt for CL65, which is Sept07 US launch....

Currently have '07 SL65, so what I had hoped CL63 would offer is perhaps better wet road traction and some 200lb lighter front end for sharper handling/steering....

In any case, look forward to the advance reviews from our German pals to help sort this out.....

BTW, one of my colleagues (a typically every 6-12mos new 65/F buyer) learned his 599 arrived in SF last wk, but FNA is holding back delivs (prob one of first 599s in US) to ?update software....looking forward to his impressions of 599 on CA urban/suburban fwys/twisties vs his 65.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Have seen positive reviews in Car magazine, but will look forward to any test drive impressions you can offer (believe it's Jan07 Germany launch).....and if relatively unbiased but sophisticated drivers are also underwhelmed, will have to opt for CL65, which is Sept07 US launch....

Currently have '07 SL65, so what I had hoped CL63 would offer is perhaps better wet road traction and some 200lb lighter front end for sharper handling/steering....

In any case, look forward to the advance reviews from our German pals to help sort this out.....

BTW, one of my colleagues (a typically every 6-12mos new 65/F buyer) learned his 599 arrived in SF last wk, but FNA is holding back delivs (prob one of first 599s in US) to ?update software....looking forward to his impressions of 599 on CA urban/suburban fwys/twisties vs his 65.....

With the CL65 you could not go wrong I will try to take a look at the CL63 early next year. Maybe you too have a chance to do a test drive before finally taking the car? Then you would be on the safe side...

P.S.: Considering that you are used to the SL65 I would probably wait for the CL65. The SL65 surely has spoiled you regarding appetite for torque

gool

I love that white 599

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

With the CL65 you could not go wrong I will try to take a look at the CL63 early next year. Maybe you too have a chance to do a test drive before finally taking the car? Then you would be on the safe side...

P.S.: Considering that you are used to the SL65 I would probably wait for the CL65. The SL65 surely has spoiled you regarding appetite for torque

Definitely would appreciate your impressions of CL63 in Jan

Given how difficult it is to get an early CL63 (at least from my usual dealer, where all the early 599 guys are big customers), I could take 63, drive it for 500mis and trade it in for close to MSRP (if disappointing).....my biggest issue is I'm looking forward to all the new technologies of the CL platform, so waiting until Sept07 for CL65 would be torture.....

I read somewhere that MB will bring out a PDK like transmission as well. So, something to keep in mind.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781881 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442828 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263483 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261884 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85975 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6003 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881652 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819620 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM