Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Irrational Reason not to buy the Turbo?

Was driving my regular roads. Coming to hill slowed down a bit to dial cell phone (no bifocals on sunglasses).

Come to crest of hill doing 40-45 in a 55, and two stunned State Troopers standing next to their two cars glaring at me like hungry Great Whites. My rearview mirror shows their stares following me with the same intensity.

If it weren't for the phone call I would have been going 80 or 85mph (nice "safe" road, no driveways, drive it almost everyday, not residential etc).

So, I figure out of nowhere these cops show up on my usual route, wouldda nailed me and made my license almost revoked.

So, now my thoughts about my planned upgrade to the Turbo. Maybe it isn't too smart a move. Can you imagine it's only a matter of time before you DO get nailed and for a nasty ticket (driving "safely" of course) and then the judge makes those extra 100 hp as useless as the most of the 355 in the current Carrera?

I dunno, maybe I just drank too much coffee this AM.

Re: Irrational Reason not to buy the Turbo?

Valid point and the reason why cars such at the Mini and Lotus Exige are such a good laugh.

The 997 Turbo is a fantastic car but not only does it go from zero to "what seems to be the problem, officer" in seconds but it also needs to be flogged to within an inch of it's life to really come alive and develop a 'soul'.

So no, imho, you are not mental

Simon (ex 997 Turbo owner)

You answered your question: if you was not dialing you would have probably get caught...So upgrading and getting 100 hp more would have probably be the same...

Your reasoning make me think of one law here in france: they limit motorbike to 106 hp. They assume over that limit you're more dangerous or can get killed. very dumb because you can kill yourself with a 50 hp bike or even less...

So it all come down to be safe, choosing carefully where we speed, knowing that we can get caught, and luck.

Even with a car that has 150 hp or even less they can revoke your liscence if you go too fast ...

I think HP is not the problem...But rather containing ourselves.

Quote:
    polo said:
    I think HP is not the problem...But rather containing ourselves.

You are right on, we all need to contain ourselves in city driving.

The exact reason why I don't get a 997TT is because there is no use of such power in any driving that I'm doing, either within the city or on the track. The interior is exactly the same as my 997S.

Maybe my statement will change in a few years when my track experience improves, but then there is the TT vs GT3 dilemma...

...which is precisely why I got the serious high speed driving out of my system on the autobahns and autostradas and am perfectly content with the Carrera S in America. The Turbo would be simply overkill.

dan

Well I have to agree....

I have wanted a 911 turbo from the first time I saw one in 1976. When the time was right to purchase my first 911 I had a choice between the 996TTS and the 997 C2S. For many reasons, the new C2S was far more appealing to me than the 996TT; and that is what I purchased. The plan was to upgrade to the turbo the momment it came out.

Well I have now driven the C2S about 24,000Km and have little desire for the turbo. In day to day driving I never feel power deprived. It can always go faster than what I am driving. When I am in the mountain twisty's the car has more than enough power to accelerate out of a corner. Passing on the highway is easily done with a quick down shift to fourth or third. All in all, on North American roads the C2S is more than enough car for 99.999% of the driving that I do. Sure, there are a few times during the year that I would love to go faster, but there is not enough of them to warrant a turbo. I can find no rational or irrational reason to sell my existing car and move to a turbo.

I could always convince my wife that a turbo is what I want so I am going to buy one; but the new turbo really does not move me enough. Maybe if I lived in Germany the Autobahn would be a good enough reason, but in NA the fact is there is a limit on how fast you can drive without losing your license. With a family and a business I cannot afford to risk it all.

So the turbo order is on hold for now. My C2S is more than enough car for me. Maybe my opinion will change in the future, but for now, I am very happy driving the my 'slow', reliable car.

Maybe we are just getting old!

To live in fear is not to live at all. Turbo will be my next step unless Lambo and Ferrari stop ripping people off on maintenance and repair.

MMD, I agree with your reasons for not wanting the Turbo at this time... As you stated however, we can get into as much trouble with the regular Carreras. That's why, I don't go anywhere without my V1 turned on these days.

What kind of radar protection do you have? Was it turned on when the 2 "sharks" spotted you?

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    ...which is precisely why I got the serious high speed driving out of my system on the autobahns and autostradas and am perfectly content with the Carrera S in America. The Turbo would be simply overkill.

dan

Wish I was over it. I'm moving back by hook or by crook!

All good points. There is not a significant difference in max speed between the 911's but there is a significant difference in the time it takes to get there. This is what I like about the turbo. IMHO

Believe it or not I'm perfectly happy with the measly 217HP of my base Boxster. I never really wished I had more power. I like the fact that I have to "step on it" and "work it" to get it moving fast instead of just tapping the gas pedal. It somehow makes it more fun.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Believe it or not I'm perfectly happy with the measly 217HP of my base Boxster. I never really wished I had more power. I like the fact that I have to "step on it" and "work it" to get it moving fast instead of just tapping the gas pedal. It somehow makes it more fun.

A fellow enthusiast after my own heart.

Have you ever had the pleasure of caning an AP1 S2000 over a long test drive? I get dyspnea just thinking about it.

Hello TheOldMan,

Yes I have to agree ----- I also have the pleasure of an NSX 1996 T-AutoStik as my daily driver (complicated why I still have it after trading it in on the 2005 C2-PASM---some other time!).

Even on the lightly travelled roads to a nearby lake, for which I cruised the NSX at 100mph (when she was the weekend car), with lots to spare, I seldom can or wish to use the extra that the 997 (with EVO headers, muffler and air-box--no at 345bhp)has. On straights when the NSX comfortably got to 100mph, the 997 gets to 115mph ------but with stray deers and Royal Canadian Mounted around, that is more than enough.

I love the 997 C2-----it is beast compared with the NSX---- but NO to the Turbo!

KiwiCanuck

Quote:
    outofmoney said:
    All good points. There is not a significant difference in max speed between the 911's but there is a significant difference in the time it takes to get there. This is what I like about the turbo. IMHO

Well said...

Quote:
    gmp said:
    MMD, I agree with your reasons for not wanting the Turbo at this time... As you stated however, we can get into as much trouble with the regular Carreras. That's why, I don't go anywhere without my V1 turned on these days.

What kind of radar protection do you have? Was it turned on when the 2 "sharks" spotted you?

That I can't figure out. My V1 stayed silent. Probably was laser and it didn't hit the sensor mounted on the unit. Since they were out of their cars I figure it was laser. OR, they were just having a "meeting" and weren't zapping cars at all. Now it seems funny; there was a definite "holy sh*t!" reaction from them.

If I may I would like to clarify my original point a bit. I hadn't even thought of it until the cop's suprise; my point:

I would feel like total complete cr*p owning a Turbo and not being able to "drive" it because of massive number of points on my license. IOW, I can barely tolerate the thought of having my current C2S under the same f-ed license circumstances.

I wasn't thinking that driving the Turbo would *more* likely result in a destroyed or severely damaged license than the current C2S. Maybe there's a flaw in this logic which you guys can plainly see?

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Maybe my statement will change in a few years when my track experience improves, but then there is the TT vs GT3 dilemma...

For the track? GT3 over the turbo, all day, every day. Turbo is a heavy cruiser. GT3 is MUCH more fun on the track.

My feeling is if you are a speeder you will get a ticket no matter what type of car you have. Like you said you would have been doing 80 in a 55. How much faster would have been going in a 997TT, 85 or 90? Doing 80 in a 55 means no license in NC, unless you have a good lawyer

Quote:
    outofmoney said:

Well said and I agree 100%

MMD...Oh MMD,...
    Now how do you equate these 2. Faster car w/almost big ticket? LoL
    You have to speed and be on the look out.
    Sudden police appearing is kinda out of your control.
    What is a poor Porsche driver to do?
    Ok, get a faster Porsche, problem solved!! ;-)

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    MMD...Oh MMD,...
    Now how do you equate these 2. Faster car w/almost big ticket? LoL
    You have to speed and be on the look out.
    Sudden police appearing is kinda out of your control.
    What is a poor Porsche driver to do?
    Ok, get a faster Porsche, problem solved!! ;-)

Yes, there's no logic; THAT would be logical!

Mainly I guess I'd feel like a bigger fool owning a Turbo and not be able to drive it because of suspended license. Would feel less like an iidiot if the 997S just sat there for six months... . Ahhhh, life..., suuuuuch a mess of problems with no solutions. Hey..., wait..., if there's no solutions maybe there's no problem!

Since I'll never drive my C2S near it's top speed, the acceleration - from a stop, through turns, etc. - is part of the fun. A Turbo would just shorten my fun by getting there faster!

Isnt that why your caption says....

That's what I think at the moment; always subject to change when something else makes more sense.

Hey, you only live once, do what you must!!!

Funny enough that feeling (first post) if the main reason I won't get a TT cab...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780482 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442471 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263272 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261584 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5889 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818531 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM