Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dont buy Nav unless life is perfect or you love tech manuals

The car is verrrrry nice, but has some flaws.

For instance, I tried to INNOCENTLY use the nav to take a simple shorcut around some construction, right in the neighborhood of my appointment. The f!@##$%^& thing totally confused me (kept rotating the map). Would drop out the roads I was on when I changed the scale. Would rotate constantly as I changed direction. Though right in the neighborhood of my meeting I wound up late and ten minutes out of the way. I could have fu*king smashed the thing. I was in a hurry and wanted to map to show me the other possible roads. No such luck.

Yeah I could have pulled over and deciphered the clumsy procedure (poorly/ambiguously translated from German into english) but I would have been even more late.

The thing is a POS. Make sure you have a paper map to quickly determine alternate routes. I was soooo f$%^&&* pi**sed and hated Porsche for their arrogant BS claim of:"excellence." F!@#$%^ Ah%^&$! Unless you use it one specific way it is totally useless as a simple map; navigation unit (unless you have twenty minutes on the roadside with the manual) to decipher it's secret code of operation, before your big meeting which you are late for.

If you zoom out it the roads you are on disappear! If you zoom in tou can't seem outlying landmarks (all the while it is turning as you change difection!)

A true POS!

rant over. just make sure you carry a stack of maps in your glove compartment.

Again, car is nice and fun to drive the PCM/NAV is a POS unless you use it specifically and only in tht way it was designed (woman's voice telling you, in an ideal world, how to get to s specific place assuming all the informsation is correct and thereare no road hazards, or delays.

Re: Dont buy Nav unless life is perfect or you love tech manuals

heheh, you can get all of that in a $500 TOMTOM which you can use in all of your cars, has a touchscreen which allows to type complicated names and you can easily update the maps :-)

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    heheh, you can get all of that in a $500 TOMTOM which you can use in all of your cars, has a touchscreen which allows to type complicated names and you can easily update the maps :-)

Plus with TomTom (and others) you're not locked out of the Nav while you're driving.

Sorry to hear of your frustration....

I LOVE the Nav unit.

It is an acquired skill, but it works really well in my opinion, go off it's route and it will recalculate the route, presto. I enjoy playing - fool the Nav.

BTW, I have used mine all across the USA with no problems.

I'd try it again this time without an appointment. Sounds like you were in a rush.

It rotates because it has to when you rotate. The roads ( & names) disappear because you're zooming out it and the road names would be totally unreadable on a 6x6 inch square looking at a large area. When you zoom out and the back roads disappear it's to show you the major highways. If it didn't do this there would be so many streets & highways on the screen you could never make sense of it. Zoom out shows major highways, zoom in shows backroads........ Makes sense once you use it a few times.

I never read the manual and absolutely love the way it works especially as a map.

Here's a tip when using it as a map - If you're going backstreets you need to keep it somewhat close and don't zoom out but if you lose your bearing and need to zoom out that's fine check the distance (on the bottom right) that you are currently viewing map, zoom out and then zoom back in at the same distance, you'll never have a street disappear.

I've had other nav systems and none are anywhere close to as good. It's more complicated than other's but it gives you so much more in the way you can use it as a map that's it's best feature. No way you're going to get the hang of it if you're in a total rush to get someplace and you're trying it for the very first time.

MMD,
    Does your "f%*..g" VCR still blink ?
    My 12 year old got in the car , turned the Nav on and typed in the destination ( never opened the manual ) Lol

I'm not too impressed with the Nav either. Admittedly, I have not spent a lot of time trying to figure it out completely, but I am expert with the systems in both my M5 and Merc E55 - and I think Porsche's system is not as intuitive as either one of them. All 3 are inferior to Acura's, but the Porsche system does have a good map. Porsche's nav manual is indeed quite poor and tedious - but WTF do I know; I use a Mac :>)

I have three Navs (till later this afternoon when I pick up the 997 with the Nav) - Lexus, Mercedes, TomTom.

Lexus is really good except for the Toyota belief that you are safer pulling over onto the shoulder of the highway to program it, since it won't let you do hardly anything except zoom in and out while you're moving. You can't even dial a phone number on the Bluetooth setup while you're moving, even if the passanger seat is occupied (which the airbag mechanism detects). They used to check the voltage from the speedo until people starting clipping the wire (similar to the cabrio hack on older cabs); now they also check the GPS location and if you've moved, they assume you are moving. However, it's really good at guessing at your dest before you finish typing. You can also program multi-leg trips, which can be useful if you have to make a bunch of stops. If you know where you want to go but don't have the address, you can scroll to the location, zoom in tight, and set the dest as a point on the map. This works pretty well. Interestingly, you can do this while you're rolling, but not enter an address.

My wife's Merc is the worst of the bunch. No touch screen, so your using a cursor pad to scroll around a virtual keyboard. If you get anything wrong, you usually have to start the entire frustrating procedure over. The few times my wife has actually programmed it, the maps have actually been wrong enough that she wound up pulling off and calling the place it was going to get directions. We wind up hardly ever using this.

The TomTom has a great user interface and is obviously portable. The major problem is that the screen is really small and, sitting up on the dash, washes out when the top is down on the Boxster. I also hate having the wire dangling down, although you could only plug it in when the charge drops. This will become the travel device.

I hop that Stradale is right and the P Nav is useful.

Re: Dont buy Nav unless life is perfect or you love tech man

Quote:
    jcs said:
    MMD,
    Does your "f%*..g" VCR still blink ?
    My 12 year old got in the car , turned the Nav on and typed in the destination ( never opened the manual ) Lol

YES very charming how kids can get stuff working BUT MY POINT IS: IT WORKS THE WAY IT WANTS TO WORK!

Try this: you're at the moment a bizzy "executive" (not a Porsche Hobbiest enjoying the day off).

You make a frickin wrong turn, (like I did because of construction) the nav unit WILL BE AS USELESS AS SH*t. If you zoom out you lose roads, you can't pan without memorizing the manual and pressing a bunk of buttons(who's got time for that?). So you're NAV is now just a useless peripheral and you're best bet is to grab a map in the glove box and figure it out yourself.

IOW, without some serious, technically trained complex intervention the unit just shows you which street you are on and a map of the vicinity. IF you zoom out too much to find connection streets down the road your streets disappear!!! GGREAT!!!! WOW!! Frickin ridiculous.

PERIOD! Don't give me this "it's a good unit if you know how to work it, because I'm not on a PCA sunday drive just fiddling aaround with my car nav module as others catch up or get out of lunch... .

Again, sorry for rant..., BUT I EXPECT EXCELLENCE from Porsche NOT a mere promise from them.

Really pissed me off that I got lost depending on the map function when I was just about a mile away from my destination. Pullig over and studyingthe manual would have made me a half-hour late insted if the fifteen minutes which I obtained by using a paper map.

Sorry but I LOVE mine. To stop it rotating just select map mode and push in the right sided black selection wheel then select North. I control everything from my Multi Function Stering Wheel.

The only thing I think is missing is searching for Shell petrol stations along your route.

I took part in a test of the next PCM/NAV system for Porsche... not too much improvement however with that being said I never thought the system was that bad to begin with. Having had experience with systems in Jaguars, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura & Audi... I really like Porsche's nav system but I realize like all things it takes some getting used to. If you aren't that technical to begin with then you won't really like navs in any manufacturer's vehicles. (though Acura's is pretty easy to use for the average techniphobe)

MMD said:
    Quote:

Try this: you're at the moment a bizzy "executive" (not a Porsche Hobbiest enjoying the day off).

You make a frickin wrong turn, (like I did because of construction) the nav unit WILL BE AS USELESS AS SH*t.

It will just recalculate the route and keep you on a path to your destination...trust your Nav

If you don't zoom to 0.40 scale and beyond the small stuff will not disapear. At that point the small stuff is illegible anyway.

It's not so much about reading the manual as using it on a regular basis even in familiar territory to get a handle on how it works and what it will do for you. Don't be Nav bashing if you are not familiar with it's capabilities.

Bottom line it will direct you to your destination regardless if you follow its suggested route or not by recalculating.

I reckon the navigation system is really great, never let me down, unlike the admittedly early CD based system in my earlier BMW - would keep trying to get you to turn left into a field where no roads existed, or you'd get to a tricky town and it would suddenly say "You are leaving the registered road network" The Porsche system was even better when I had the TMC upgrade added showing traffic hold ups. Only complaint - the partial post code search is utter rubbish.

I took some time when flying over to learn the ins and outs of the Nav system. Also got a tip on programming it from another Rennteamer (who picked up his a month ahead of me).

First, you CAN NOT use this when you are in a rush. That is NOT the time to attempt to learn it.

As Alex stated earlier, you can choose to have NORTH always UP. It all depends upon your orientation choices.

As a former navigator in the USAF I found it quite useful. I must admit that the buttons on the steering wheel are also EXTREMELY important if you have ordered the nav system. You wind up not taking your hands or attention from the wheel and road. I think they should be almost optioned together.

Just take your time the next time, and work on a few simple routines.

It was invaluable for me in Europe, with all the change going on there, and literally saved me many many hours of getting lost or taking the wrong street.

(In Europe it's integration into the Traffic Management System is even more useful,--keeping you out of Stau!)

Dan

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Sorry but I LOVE mine. To stop it rotating just select map mode and push in the right sided black selection wheel then select North. I control everything from my Multi Function Stering Wheel.

The only thing I think is missing is searching for Shell petrol stations along your route.

I love mine too,but mostly use only the map . It's great to zoom in-out ,especially with the multi function wheel.
    And although it does not specifically show a Shell station, it does show ALL gas stations along the way. Lol

It does show you 'nearest' stations and also stations near your destination but would be great to tie in Shell garages (which are the only UK garage to sell 98RON) with your route and your range.

Another great option is to avoid motorways for your route so you can have lots of backroad fun on the way to your destination

i was pissed and confused upon reading the pcm manual. bag it. just get in and start fooling around with it. the more you do this the better it gets.

I played with the nav on my way to work today. I really like the dial function which allows you to zoom in and out of the map. However, I believe that the nav is buggy as one time, after zooming in and out, I tried to zoom in pretty close and the nav lost my position on the map. I thought it was because I was at a stop but once I got moving again, the position on the map was not present. Oh well, what do you expect for $3000.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I played with the nav on my way to work today. I really like the dial function which allows you to zoom in and out of the map. However, I believe that the nav is buggy as one time, after zooming in and out, I tried to zoom in pretty close and the nav lost my position on the map. I thought it was because I was at a stop but once I got moving again, the position on the map was not present. Oh well, what do you expect for $3000.

You zoomed in too far and ended up inside your trunk . Lol

Quote:
    jcs said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

You zoomed in too far and ended up inside your trunk . Lol

Quote:
    jhbrennan said:
    [

Plus with TomTom (and others) you're not locked out of the Nav while you're driving.

Huh? Are you saying with the OEM Nav your are locked out while driving? Are you serious?

I love mine and would not do without it. So far no problems. It is the 3rd Nav unit I have owned and all of them have + and -. Sorry to hear you issues.

Chows4us - on the Lexus and Toyotas you are.

I used the P OEM model on the way home and found it quite easy to program and use, without refering to the manual. I did have the salesman sitting next to me, but how much help could he be?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    ...I tried to INNOCENTLY use the nav to take a simple shorcut around some construction...

That's your problem...you don't innocently drive the car do you? The NAVI detected a weakness and exploited it!

I'd never used one before and love mine...just like I would design it. I briefly used one in a new Acura last month and thought the display was horrible compared to the 911.

The main problem was the map kept rotating with every turn I made, so I was totally confused by this. Also dropping streets as I did some zooming: WHEN IT WAS NOT NECESSARY TO DROP STREETS SINCE THERE WAS AMPLE ROOM!!! Yeah, there's a "complex procedure" to turn this rotation off and make it "north up" but I didn't have time to f'around finding it in the 200+page manual. My fault for not remembering, Porsche's fault for making it so difficult to operate this "essential function" especially when I'm supposed to be driving at max 185+mph.

Unless it is used without any real world problems, It's a POS. Not at all what I expected from "excellence" and "accept no substitute."

Sorry guys, I still love the car, but I'm demanding more from the stupid NAv unit. It screwed me up and made me late and all because of a SIMPLE change in plans a few miles away from my destination. I promise: RANT OVER!

You're one of those who eats the meat, beans, & potatoes all at the same time without rotating the plate...aren't you?

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    You're one of those who eats the meat, beans, & potatoes all at the same time without rotating the plate...aren't you?

No big deal what my personality is like.

I discovered a way the "excellence" of the nav system failed my simple usage misearbly and thought you guys would like to know about it.

IT's like you input a destination into the unit and you activate it and you follow it to completion. Any other changes along the route or map uses require intimate familiarity of the software manual. MAybe it's just me but I'd call that "marginal" not "excellent."

You have to be kidding. My god, there is so much data compressed in the nav system it is really beyond ones greastest wish. When you zoom out to see an over view, the road your on may not be significant enough at a far out zoom level...that is the reality of the data compression. At zoom out you cannot see I95 as it becomes less important in zoom out view. I have a nav in my 2006 997. I have nav in my wife's Lexus SC430 and our RX300. I had it in my BMW M3. A realllly piece of crap nav was the CD based unit in the Cayenne when it first came out. Porsche should ask for forgiveness for that really poor excuse for a nav system. I love quality navigation. No navigation system is perfect. If it is a computerized nav system or a human looking at a paper map, neither is perfect. My navigation system in Ohio can calculate a route to Wyoming is a few seconds! I get a call to meet someone on Gum Branch Lane in some town I never heard of and I say "I donot need directions...let's see I will be at your door in 36 minutes..see you then." After you use it a while it seems logical. Who cares about trying to find every POI in Timbuktoo. You can only get so much data in a navigation system. Think about it...practically every road in the whole USA and it can spot you within a few feet. I use my Treo to google, via Sprint internet connection, all kinds of info on the road to get phone numbers to call places and then ask them for an address to plug into my nav system. Intergration of technolgy while I a driving down the road and interacting with more data than anybody ever dreamed would exist. I wanted to get information on a jet ski lift for my dock(while I was driving down the road). I googled it and found the name of Tide Tammer. Plugged in their address in my navigation. They turned out to be only about two hours away in a dinky little town in NC. I found under POI on nav a gas station in an out of the way town on the way to the company. What more do you want? Scotty beam me up? It's coming.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Hear Hear...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The main problem was the map kept rotating with every turn I made, so I was totally confused by this. RANT OVER!

Instead of continuing to complain about how bad the Nav system is,
    why don't you just change the map display preference setting ?
    You can either have the car symbol stationary , with the map rotating around it, or the map stationary
    (north arrow always UP ) with the car symbol moving .
    Some people are more spatially challenged than others( not you of course ) Lol

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777610 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441858 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261049 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85325 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5613 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880725 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM