Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Car and Driver - comparison test Z06 v 997 TT v F430

AAh, come on. I'm probably one of the biggest Porsche and Ferrari fans in the world but please give credit where credit is due. The Z06 is one hell of a performance buy and the best bang for the buck. If either of those other cars put out the numbers that the Z06 did we'd all be saying that it's Porsche or Ferrari Engineering.

Kudos to Chevrolet for a job well done.

Amir

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:

Z06 creams all the other cars because it's mostly made out of plastic.That's it.

Uahahahahahahah

the truth is that we expect to much of the TT. why TT must be better than the expensive ferrari and faster than the cheaper plastic vette?

porsche has the competitor to vette... the gt2. but all we know that against the gt2 , vette has no chance.

in my country we dont have roads to race 300km/h
    the better we can do here is stand still to 125MPH and in this mode im sure TT has no competitor.

Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:
    AAh, come on. I'm probably one of the biggest Porsche and Ferrari fans in the world but please give credit where credit is due. The Z06 is one hell of a performance buy and the best bang for the buck. If either of those other cars put out the numbers that the Z06 did we'd all be saying that it's Porsche or Ferrari Engineering.

Amir

Amir I second your thoughts. It is my hope that European car manufacturers get a wake up call regarding pricing of their high Perf. sport cars and that includes Ferrari.

However as long as Porsche can make record profits doing what they are doing, why change? I can't blame them.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Amir I second your thoughts. It is my hope that European car manufacturers get a wake up call regarding pricing of their high Perf. sport cars and that includes Ferrari.

However as long as Porsche can make record profits doing what they are doing, why change? I can't blame them.

Gotta agree with you on that one. Lucky for you, the new Ferrari comes in 2008 and the Turbo will soon get the powerkit.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:
    Don't let your taste be tarnished by relativity, the F430 is a wonderful car by every strech of the imagination, but its greatness does not lie in its scarcity. That is falsely fabricated...

Find a new 430 at msrp anywhere in the US and I will buy it for you. And if you can't you owe me a dollar. See if its scarcity is "falsely fabricated"....... Take the bet?

Stradale, I don't think you quite understand my point. I'm talking about a sheer economic perspective in terms of a car market. Of course you can't find an F430 at MSRP in the US. You know why? There is aprox a 50% market share in the US for Ferrari's annual allotment of F430s and yet they choose to ship about 33% of their allotment. Why they do this? I do not know, I am only analyzing the facts presented via the company's sales. You can postulate on your theories left and right, but the numbers don't lie.

This results in excessive demand for a finite supply. The result? You can't find an F430 for MSRP to save your life. Great for the current owner (kudos to you for that, what a wonderful investment), but not so great for the perspective owner without connections, who either has to wait 2-3 years when the model becomes somewhat outdated (e.g. low mileage 360 Modenas now going around MSRP, while the F430, its successor has been out for 2+ years) or pay up the arse to find one.

---------

In terms of the car's innate value, I don't believe that the market of scarcity should impact one's perception of the object's seminal value.

I'm sure we all learned this theoretically in various ways via postmodernist culture (Pop Art's attack on the "immutable" nature of Abstract Expressionism, Simulacrum a la mass produced clothing; the distillation of idea into consumerism, even "remixed" music etc etc).

Granted, there must be financial consideration when deciding to buy a car, I'm talking about simply judging the car on its merits. I find the F430 to be, perhaps the finest car in the world in terms of aesthetics and performance. However, my judgement of it is not based upon its great resale value and how all of my neighbors will envy me because I'm the one who got one...

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    the truth is that we expect to much of the TT. why TT must be better than the expensive ferrari and faster than the cheaper plastic vette?

porsche has the competitor to vette... the gt2. but all we know that against the gt2 , vette has no chance.

in my country we dont have roads to race 300km/h
    the better we can do here is stand still to 125MPH and in this mode im sure TT has no competitor.

I didn't even know they had these cars in Brasil. My wife is from Brasil and we went for Carnival last year and I didn't see one cool car. But it's no suprise seeing as how a standard 911 costs about 160K US.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Gotta agree with you on that one. Lucky for you, the new Ferrari comes in 2008 and the Turbo will soon get the powerkit.

And by then the 2800Lb 650hp Vette will be oout. The race just never ends.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

I would have serious concerns about safety in that car. It will most probably be totally stripped and not really suitable for the road, at least not for longer trips, like the 997TT is. Would make an interesting coffin, though .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

I would have serious concerns about safety in that car. It will most probably be totally stripped and not really suitable for the road, at least not for longer trips, like the 997TT is. Would make an interesting coffin, though .

We'll see. I can't wait to pick my coffin up and take it for a ride.

I have seen the Z06 a few times. The car is with no doubt one hell of a performer and a fantastic(in the US that is) price tag but is does nothing for me.
    The looks of the car are just nice and nothing more, it simply not stunning nor thrilling in terms of exterior looks. When we step inside we see a very cheap and nondesirable interior.
    Yes the car is cheap but looking at the 997TT and F430 it is worth paying extra for the looks and interior quality. Not to mention the badge.

According to the article the Z06 did 0 to 60 in 3.5 sec. There is NO WAY IN HELL that that car is capable of that time on ANY asphalt pavement which is what 95% of all roads are here in the US. It's spin city simply pressing down the gas pedal in 1'st gear in that car.

The only chance that car has of a sub 4 sec time is being on grated concrete. I've been a Vette guy all my life and yes I've owned Z06's & personally I'm fed up with the front engine RWD platform for streetlight to streetlight racing. It blows chunks.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

If you call this a coffin, what would you call a CGT???

It would match and most likely exceed CGT's performance, be made from carbon fiber and not have any safetly issues associated with it, after all its made in america, stricter safety requirements are levied on the car as opposed to EU..making it if not better then an equal safety car to the 977 TT...

and did I mention it will be a lot cheaper than the TT, lets not even go to the GT2 or CGT prices..

A friend of mine owns this car:

http://gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0608htp_comp_cams_camshaft_installation/

which puts down 516 rwhp, turns 130 mph traps, for a measly $3k in mods on a new Z06 (cams, headers, LS7 edit software). As much as I don't care for the Z06 styling or aura, a ride in that car was eye opening to say the least. My E55 felt like a slug by comparison.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

If you call this a coffin, what would you call a CGT???

It would match and most likely exceed CGT's performance, be made from carbon fiber and not have any safetly issues associated with it, after all its made in america, stricter safety requirements are levied on the car as opposed to EU..making it if not better then an equal safety car to the 977 TT...

and did I mention it will be a lot cheaper than the TT, lets not even go to the GT2 or CGT prices..

You don't know very much about cars do you, do you really think that because a car is made in America it has higher safety than those made in Europe or Japan? Sorry to burst your bubble but the 997tt is on a different level than any corvette. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, are probably the safest brands in the world. In order to sell these cars in America they must meet the same safety standards as American cars. Stop making ridiculous arguments.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Crash....ANYTIME ANYONE has something nice to say about the Z06, no matter what the subject matter of the post may be, you are always there to say something negative. You have serious safety concerns about the next high peerformance Vette? Are you an automotive engineer??? Do you ever have a clue as to what you are saying? Whether we like them or not, the Porsche Turbo has many wonderful qualities.
    So does the Corvette. If you don't like the Vette...thats fine. But just once can you not bloviate your negativity....or are you just a total jerk?

Here we go again, more rhetorical dialectic.

I own a Z06 and it is a great car. So much fun to drive because of the PERFORMANCE. After all it is a sports car and the faster the car the more fun in my opinion. If I could afford a porsche turbo or 430 I would buy those too. Im sure they're awsome to drive as well.

I raced against a bunch of vets in the SCCA Improved Touring Class in the mid 90's (I was driving a modified F348 challenge car). Very competitive, very fun and we had a blast! Car lovers should be car lovers and appreciate all rides and settle performance on the race track.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Crash....ANYTIME ANYONE has something nice to say about the Z06, no matter what the subject matter of the post may be, you are always there to say something negative. You have serious safety concerns about the next high peerformance Vette? Are you an automotive engineer??? Do you ever have a clue as to what you are saying? Whether we like them or not, the Porsche Turbo has many wonderful qualities.
    So does the Corvette. If you don't like the Vette...thats fine. But just once can you not bloviate your negativity....or are you just a total jerk?

Ronnie, you're the one bloviating your "the Corvette is superior to all" attitude. Yes, I would be concerned about the safety of the car. 700 horsepower in a front-engined, RWD car, built out of plastic, just seems like a fatal accident, waiting to happen, at least for street use. Now, granted, it will blow the CGT away, at least in the straight line, as C4S already mentioned and will be an incredible performance bargain, but I wouldn't stake my life on that car holding up when I crash. These are legitimate concerns and if you'd read my post you'd know that I welcome stiff competition for european brands (makes them work harder and introduce better models). It just seems to me that it is a bad idea for a street car. I might think differently once it's out and ptoven to handle safely and withstand all crash forces, but until then, I'm going to play Devil's advocate.

i hope it is not a repost...

here is a test from a german magazin:

http://www.autozeitung.de/images/cars/1768/vt_sportw.pdf

Quote:
    DJB said:
    I raced against a bunch of vets in the SCCA Improved Touring Class in the mid 90's (I was driving a modified F348 challenge car). Very competitive, very fun and we had a blast! Car lovers should be car lovers and appreciate all rides and settle performance on the race track.

I'm with you. How can you not love the Z06,TT and F430. I would kill to drive a different one everyday. I sold my Ferrari and my M3 to narrow it down to one car. If I could afford to own a TT, Z06 and 430 at the same time I would.

Quote:
    guy2 said:

I would like to see it translated..

but 0-100 in 4.4 for the Z06, those guys didnt know how to drive period..but other car times seem believable..

Why is it when tests do not meet the expected performance, the driver is always at fault?
    Perhaps it is the car's failure to achieve a repetitive performance due to its state of tune?

4.4 for the vette seems a bit slow, that's for sure.

but do you believe the f430 is faster from 50-80 in highest gear than the 977tt? obviously not! so don't trust numbers from only one car mag!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Ronnie, you're the one bloviating your "the Corvette is superior to all" attitude. Yes, I would be concerned about the safety of the car. 700 horsepower in a front-engined, RWD car, built out of plastic, just seems like a fatal accident, waiting to happen, at least for street use. Now, granted, it will blow the CGT away, at least in the straight line, as C4S already mentioned and will be an incredible performance bargain, but I wouldn't stake my life on that car holding up when I crash. These are legitimate concerns and if you'd read my post you'd know that I welcome stiff competition for european brands (makes them work harder and introduce better models). It just seems to me that it is a bad idea for a street car. I might think differently once it's out and ptoven to handle safely and withstand all crash forces, but until then, I'm going to play Devil's advocate.

It's kind of ironic for you to have the screen name crash and be so worried about crashing. In reality the sheet metal of a car has little to do with how crash worthy a car is. That has more to do with frame, substucture, crumple zones, air bags and the like. The fact that the Vette is made of plastic really has little to with how safe it is. And the super vette will likely be carbon fiber anyway. ANd all the super cars these days are made of carbon fiber. Some of them frame and all. There's almost no aluminum or steel.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

but 0-100 in 4.4 for the Z06, those guys didnt know how to drive period..but other car times seem believable..

The guy just didn't know how to launch a rear wheel drive torque monster. It's definately an aquired technique. When you look at 0-60,0-100, 0-150 the Z06 appears slower than the rest. That's becaue the guy couldn't launch it. But when you look at 50-100 and 80-120 the Z06 is all of a sudden equal or better. This shows the guy had a hard time launching it which is why he got a low 4.4 0-60 and a slow 8.6 0-100. In most other tests these are 3.5 and 7.9. The difference is all in the launch. All three other cars are extremely easy to launch. Especially the 430 with launch control. I've driven a Stradalewith it and it's a no brainer.
    But in all reality the TT and the Z06 should have easily outrun both the Gallardo and the 430. I've driven both of those and they are not even close to the Z06. It's alot faster. It's a good bit faster than the Murcielago as well. I haven't driven the TT but from all I have seen it should run away from the others as well.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

The guy just didn't know how to launch a rear wheel drive torque monster. It's definately an aquired technique. When you look at 0-60,0-100, 0-150 the Z06 appears slower than the rest. That's becaue the guy couldn't launch it. But when you look at 50-100 and 80-120 the Z06 is all of a sudden equal or better. This shows the guy had a hard time launching it which is why he got a low 4.4 0-60 and a slow 8.6 0-100. In most other tests these are 3.5 and 7.9. The difference is all in the launch. All three other cars are extremely easy to launch. Especially the 430 with launch control. I've driven a Stradalewith it and it's a no brainer.
    But in all reality the TT and the Z06 should have easily outrun both the Gallardo and the 430. I've driven both of those and they are not even close to the Z06. It's alot faster. It's a good bit faster than the Murcielago as well. I haven't driven the TT but from all I have seen it should run away from the others as well.

What you guys are failing to realize is that it not necessarily the driver not knowing how to launch the car(slip the clutch/weight transfer techniques, etc), it is the ground conditions. I don't care who the driver is you will not launch that car on a Florida asphalt road. It is a joke & worthless to even try.

In my 04' Z with procharger kit (500rwhp) the thing would grab very hard on clean grated concrete but the car simply can NOT launch on asphalt pavement whatsoevver due to excessive spin in 1'st and 2'nd gear.

Find out what pavement type was the launch performed on.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    DJB said:

I'm with you. How can you not love the Z06,TT and F430. I would kill to drive a different one everyday. I sold my Ferrari and my M3 to narrow it down to one car. If I could afford to own a TT, Z06 and 430 at the same time I would.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM