Forum - Thread

Re: Rumor I heard on 911 and Cayman

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Guys, they can not make the Cayman as their lead car for another simple reason, leg room. With a mid-engine design there are many people that can not fit comfortably in a Boxster or Cayman. They can not move the seat back far enough. They would have to redesign the whole car first. So don't worry about replacing the 911.

Good point. I can barely fit in the Boxster and the Cayman S. The 997 C2 is not a problem. However, I still had to opt for the tip instead of the manual due to my long legs..

Interesting... I'm 6'-7" and my left leg has better positioning than the right. No problem with clutch operation. Although, not much room between legs and steering wheel for hand travel when turning so I didn't get the slightly larger diameter multifunction wheel.

It's not really just a matter of height. It has more to do with the fact that my legs are disproportionately long compared to my reach. If I get a good position for my legs, then the I'm reaching to much for the steering wheel. If I'm positioned just right for my hands and the steering wheel, then there's not enough room for my legs with the manual..

there will always be a 911, as long as porsche exists.
    maybe it will not be the basic model like today, maybe it will be less represented, like only a carrera and turbo, but it will always exist, there is apsolutly no reson to dump the 911 concept, its a great car and it withstud the asolt of time, and it will be still here standing long time after boxter and cayman are gone.

i think that neither the 911, nor the midengine cars (boxter +/ cayman) will disappear from the porsche range.
    its basic diversification of a product range. the target different groups and offer different thrills (because of different concepts) at different prices.. so there is really not much competition between the 2 cars...

i am really looking forward to my cayman, and hope it will still be "pushed" as a separate model.

cheers,

nick

I was at my local Porsche dealer today checking out a car with arctic silver exterior and cocoa interior (which is the colour combination I've chosen for my 997 Carrera S). The car in question was a Cayman S.

I sat in it for a while and, as it happens, I noticed some other things. I have to say that there was too little legroom for me. I'm 6'3" (about 1.90m) and I found the rear backrest didn't recline back as much as I would like and also the legroom was too tight for me. Plus I like having more space behind me (as in a 911) so that psychologically I don't feel 'hemmed in'.

Same feeling I got, and needed the extra space behind the front seats.

I dont like the bubble-roofline of the Cayman, the awkward foglights, or the rear end.

For me I'd take the Boxster every single time....Sorry!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I heard something completely different but I can't say it is 100% accurate: Boxster S and Cayman S get same horse power, same engine and Boxster S will be more expensive, almost if not exactly Cayman S territory with a few standard options more maybe. Reason? Slow Cayman sales because people tend to ask why the Boxster S, a car with a retractable roof, is cheaper than the Cayman S. Apparently not everybody bought the Cayman S, a completely new model, story.
    The decision has been already taken, so IF my "rumor" is true, we'll hear about it around late June or July from an official source.

So Porsche will simply raise the price of the Boxster range to better co-exist with the Cayman? Or will both model prices meet somewhere in the middle?

I know U.S. prices are less than elsewhere in the world, but this somehow seems a bit silly considering it is being done after the fact, but maybe it helps in the long term.

Quote:
    nick1 said:
    but from a marketing point of view this will make everything porsche has done to promote the Cayman as a sole model, to dust. and porsche isnt known for marketing mistakes....

i mean they even write in the cayman cataloge, that the motor has been extra developed for the cayman (i know ist boxster with some carrera adjustments). ..

Nick

Great companies also make great marketing mistakes. remember the "New" Coke that would replace the old Coke, and then the introduction of the "Classic" Coke, just to end up after a couple of years later and a few millions wasted back with the good old Coke.

I think someone in marketing at Porsche is or will be looking for a new job soon.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:Interesting... I'm 6'-7" and my left leg has better positioning than the right. No problem with clutch operation. Although, not much room between legs and steering wheel for hand travel when turning so I didn't get the slightly larger diameter multifunction wheel.

WOW, GA997S.

I'm only 6'4" and there's no way I could own a 987 of either description due to the leg room issue.

Perhaps your torso is very long compared to your leg length? How's your headroom?

I wear 36" inseams and have a pretty tough time accomodating my lower limbs in your car.

I've got an 06 997C2S Cab and fit pretty comfortably. 6'-7" 255 lb. 36W 36L Forget about me getting in a Boxster and the only time I tried to get in and out of the amazing CGT I pulled a muscle in my back! That's why I didn't buy a CGT...well, not the only reason.

BTW, nice cars Mike.

Quote:
    I've got an 06 997C2S Cab and fit pretty comfortably. 6'-7" 255 lb. 36W 36L Forget about me getting in a Boxster ...

OK,

That clears up the mystery for me.

I thought you owned a 986 or 987 of some sort.

Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Apparently not everybody bought the Cayman S, a completely new model, story.

Enough people on Rennteam's Cayman Board seem to believe it

Porsche rarely uses the 996/997/998 ID except during introduction. Then it becomes a "Carrera" sith some kind of suffix.

My prediction is Porsche will make the 911 just a bit longer to make it a little easier to sit in back; (or maybe that will be the 998 version of the 911.

Then they will do away with the Boxster name and develop a Cayman Cab

The 996/997 version of the 911 will remain for the GTs; and the Turbos.

I don't know about the future of the Cayenne with the gas situation. Maybe it's price point will still sell to the Rover/Escalade crowd

And the Panamera will sell to the Maybach/Phaeton/BMW/Bentley/etc crowd.

I'm not concerned about the next 5-10 years, but I have no idea what the organization will look like, and what they will sell.

And don't forget that their racing interests depend on profits, unlike the past when the brand was tops in endurance racing because of the original family philosophy.

Why does anything have to change at all lol, i mean they have this Panamera coming which by the sounds of things is going to be like an aston martin but.....german, i recon the 911 will become Less of a track car and more a everyday car fast reliable comfy the lost, And why not it works well the cayman and boxster have there place But as said be for people only buy them because they cant afford a 911, they are there to bridge the gap grate cars good looking fast...does exactly what it says on the tin. As for the petrolheads im sure porsche will still have the gt3 and maybe if your very lucky the gt2. Things havent Really changed a grate deal with porsche over the years, they are porsche thats what they are, why do they need to change and fiddle around with the moddle range, as the old saying goes if it isnt broken Dont Fix It

is it possible for porsche to reduce the caymans prices then?.. or only pushing up the boxsters?

Quote:
    jamesdamanuk1 said:

... as the old saying goes if it isnt broken Dont Fix It

or some other twist

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    is it possible for porsche to reduce the caymans prices then?.. or only pushing up the boxsters?

Exchange rates are to blame. At current rates, Porsche would hardly make any money on US-bound Boxsters if the company hadn't bought forex contracts back in 2000.

Unfortunately, the coverage is to end around 2008, and the market consensus is that the dollar is not going to return to its glory days any time soon. Getting the kind of exchange rate they got back then (through options for instance) would be cost-prohibitive.

Porsche has no choice but raise the price of the Boxsters to make up for the depreciation of the dollar. Too bad those outside the US also have to pay for it.

Haven't thought about it before but if this hedge was just enough to cover Boxsters and 911 sales in the US, it might explain why the Cayman is 5K more than the Boxster S. It just means the boxster will catch up to Cayman prices soon, finally offering a normal price lineup.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Haven't thought about it before but if this hedge was just enough to cover Boxsters and 911 sales in the US, it might explain why the Cayman is 5K more than the Boxster S. It just means the boxster will catch up to Cayman prices soon, finally offering a normal price lineup.

If that's true (all Porsche will experience currency-induced price increases), then we're going to see alot more Corvettes on the streets of the US...

To end the discussion: Wait for next Monday. I heard something, but i'm not allowed to tell you...

Judging from the sad "smiley" I'll better sell some Porsche stock before the stock exchange closes later today

An educated guess:

some german car manufacturers are going to reprice some cars for 07 models...
    Be ready for some small shockers as the euro has been crepping up a lot in the past few years.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Quote:
    Malmsteen said:

Exchange rates are to blame. At current rates, Porsche would hardly make any money on US-bound Boxsters if the company hadn't bought forex contracts back in 2000.

Unfortunately, the coverage is to end around 2008, and the market consensus is that the dollar is not going to return to its glory days any time soon. Getting the kind of exchange rate they got back then (through options for instance) would be cost-prohibitive.

Porsche has no choice but raise the price of the Boxsters to make up for the depreciation of the dollar. Too bad those outside the US also have to pay for it.

porsche Germany really invoices the US dealers in USD?

if theyd do it in Euro the exchange risk would be on the dealers side. or do you mean the transactions between porsche germany and porsche NA?

(i am not familiar with the buing procedure: you buy from the dealer, he buys it from PCNA and PCNA buy it from Porsche Germany? where is the exchange risk?)

thanks for the insigt!

Nick

Dealers don't take currency risks, nor would they have the competence to do it. Porsche headquarters in Germany takes care of all these kind of risks.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    An educated guess:

some german car manufacturers are going to reprice some cars for 07 models...
    Be ready for some small shockers as the euro has been crepping up a lot in the past few years.

Looks like I was wrong, new engine for the Boxster S is the winning rumor.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Dealers don't take currency risks, nor would they have the competence to do it. Porsche headquarters in Germany takes care of all these kind of risks.

you mean the currency exchange risk "happens" when the dealers buy the cars from pcna for usd invoices, but pcna buys the these cars for euros from pcgermany?

Dealers get their car in USD from PCNA.

No first hand information but I highly doubt PCNA buys the cars in euro, this risk usually handled directly the by CFO and the comany's treasury, as the consequense can be dramatic if the wrong choices are made.

As SciFrog mentioned, Porsche AG is carrying the risk. Since the US is Porsche's largest market, prices worldwide are set according to what the US market will bear (if there was a major difference before taxes, they'd be parallel imports).

Let's say Porsche misses the days of the expensive dollar.

This hedge is part of the reason why Porsche is making more money than ever.

Once gone, if the USD is still this low, they will have to either raise the price in the US and accept lower volumes, or reduce dramatically their margin, both resulting in less profits.

The only long term solution to a long period with low USD is to build the cars in the US (like BMW or Mercedes SUVs).

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    The only long term solution to a long period with low USD is to build the cars in the US (like BMW or Mercedes SUVs).

I sure as hell hope they don't build Boxsters in that VW plant in Mexico. Those who have sit in a American VW and a European one know what I'm talking about.

Come to think of it, the price increase might be a good thing for the Boxster. Some people dismiss it as a poor man's Porsche (read: a girly man's) - but they would definitely consider a Cayman. They basically considered it better because it was $ 5k more expensive.
    So who knows, increasing prices might actually translate into increasing sales.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803595 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885946 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833655 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM