Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OT: I was attacked in the street in broad daylight

It's a sad comentary on the state of the world's youth. Violence here in the US is a sport to these kids. They're even making videos of themselves beating up other kids and selling the videos. You did the right thing. It's them or you and you had your wife to protect as well. If I did what you did here in the liberal US they would probably arrest me for endangering a "child". Good work!

997tt artic silver,black interior 6 spd manual. Due date July. It's already starting to kick inside mother Porsche

Easy, no doubt about it you did the right thing. Ive been in similar situations myself, these people know no fear and the only way to get out of these situations is to show that you are not afraid. Perhaps if you had said nothing they would have taunted and left.. However they could just as easily have thought you were weak and attacked anyway!

I work in CW also and luckily have never had any trouble in the 3 years Ive been here but I actually live in SW london and never really leave the safety of the secured bars and shops and to be honest never would for these very reasons. I do however have friends who live nearby and they have had similar experiences and all have been from gangs of youths. So crazy. One friend, similar to you a big lad, 6'2 was recieving lots of abuse from gangs of kids on the way home. Luckily for him he has done years of Kickboxing but still this scared him and his wife and they have now moved away from CW.

It really upsets me to hear stories like this and makes me wonder what its all leading to. The main driver for these situations is as you rightly say the fact that there is massive difference between those fortunate ones who work in the big towers and those who live in the council estates nearby. This is something you see a lot of in London, extreme poverty and immense wealth side by side, and its appears to be getting worse as the rich make more and more money whilst the poor stay downtroden.

My heart goes out to you and your wife and I hope your able to get over this soon enough. Remember you did the right thing, they were in the wrong deserved a smack on the chin at the least!

Rich

Hey guys, thanks again for all your support.

I have to say that I have got over it now. Please don't worry - my wife and I are fine now. I'm not still suffering over what happened. I know I did the right thing and what I had to do. (I have my closure already, Nick). It's just not easy to forget what happened.

It's funny - emotions can be like a light switch - a few weeks ago I wouldn't have felt like talking about what happened let alone writing about it in a publicly accessible place like a webforum. But like someone flicked a switch, I feel comfortable enough about it now.

Actually, one of the reasons I wrote about it is that I needed to get it out there but also I was curious to know how you would all have handled it had you been in my situation.

It seems nearly all of you agree with how I handled it. That's very reassuring and comes as a relief to me.

@ The Groom, about self-defence, believe me, even while I was in that awful situation, I was thinking about how to defend myself in a PROPORTIONATE way so that after the fact no one could allege that I reacted disproportionately to the threat I faced. I've been a lawyer much much too long to lose my grip on what the law requires even though I was in extremis. So no danger of me being arrested Self-defence can be pre-emptive in English criminal law provided that the response is proportionate to the threat faced and the action taken is appropriate to the purpose of defending oneself. I was really careful not to wound them etc. I didn't want to leave any bruises. I am glad I just kept my head in that terrible situation.

@ Damian, yes, I'm going to look into getting some pepper spray for my wife. Thanks - that's a great suggestion.

@ Crash, tazers aren't legal in the UK.

@ VKSF, you know, muggings happen all over London. The West End is as bad a place as any. I'm glad I don't live in Kensington or Knightsbridge because people have to park their cars on the street there. All sorts of vandalism risk.

@ JFG, yes, I'm trying to forget all about it. I think I never will do so completely but I hope it just recedes into the dim and distant recesses of my mind.

@ SrfCity, yes, wanting to look 'hard' in front of your mates is a big element of what they were doing.

@ nberry, honestly I have played it through my mind again and again and I wouldn't do anything differently except maybe to punch them slightly harder. I held back and punched quite 'minimally'. I say this because I don't think they would have tried to throw a brick at my wife and me if I had really hurt them. I have my closure. I know I did the right thing. I made the threat recede. 5 months on, I'm glad I didn't escalate things legally. As youths, the law is toothless against them. It just wouldn't have been worth it. I hear what you say about parents being biased towards their kids even if those kids are in fact thugs! BTW, the food wrappings were deliberately flung in our direction. It wasn't accidental. They wanted to elicit a reaction through taunting.

@ RichJ, thanks, I agree - Canary Wharf is fine. It's the areas immediately surrounding it that one needs to exercise care in.

Thanks again guys. I certainly appreciate your support.

Easy, you did well. I would have done the same, and completely agree with 69bossnine

Hey STRADALE,
    Will we be seing you in the "Octagon" soon?

Some advice boys: If you bring a weapon along for self-defence, do NOT be surprised if you end up getting tazed by ur own tazer, knife, knuckleduster etc...

Easy, perhaps I'm overgeneralizing, but sounds from your descrip that even London's W End is far more dangerous w/street crime and vandalism than Manhattan/SF's upscale office/residential corridors....

Will admit I don't really walk anywhere ; have always enjoyed comfort and safety of driving own new car for even my usual <2mi intra-SF commutes...and always have been paranoid enough re: personal security that I typically drive from point-to-point within SF w/secured garages@home&office/valet pkg directly in front of my usual dining spots.....and to-date have never personally faced an incident of street crime/vandalism and haven't heard of muggings from affluent pals who actually occasionally walk around SF/NYC....

On the bright side, given that my elders tell me NYC was much more dangerous w/street crime 20-25 yrs ago (and remember that US has a deep-seated, casual use-of-guns culture ) , perhaps London is going through a similar temporary ugly phase before it also "cleans up" like NYC/SF/Chic have, esp in the relevant urban office/entertainment/residential epicenters where the affluent congregate....where street crime is a fairly rare phenomenon today...

Any fight you can walk away from is a win. Anything can happen. I avoid them, too many things can go wrong.

However, you mentioned "poportionate response" in the context of your actions.

Is there no UK legal concept for "disparity of force?"

3 assailants armed with impact weapons would seem to negate your needing to estimate what is "proportionate" force for your self defense.

How could you judge their ultimate intentions with any certainty? You can't. "Proportionate force?" To being outnumbered 3 to 1? They with impact weapons and you only with your hands?

Once the 3 made the threatening and furtive movements towards you all bets should be off. You have no idea what they are planning or their actual capabilities.

Sorry for the long wind up here, but I what I am asking is
    there any British legal concept of "disparity of force" viz a viz being attacked by muiltple assailants and actions for ones self defence?

Good points, Jim.

In the US, under those circumstances you would probably be justified in whacking that human debris. I don't believe in "proportionate response" when it comes to combat/ defending yourself or others in life threatening situations. It's great it worked out in this situation!

TY, Richard.

Obviously delivering a coup de gras to an assailant once the attack is over is not being suggested. But using
    ruthless force to stop an attack is. Real life fights
    are not scripted and anything can happen. Its best to
    stop them as quickly as possible.

For those that carry OC or Pepper spray, I suggest that
    they keep a spare shirt, some water and a towel in their
    car. Usually you will get some on your hands from using
    it and it will fog back a bit on your clothes.

Unless you paint someone really good with it, dont expect
    a immediate halt to their actions.

Not exactly relevant to this instance .. (Being two people) but ...

In my late teens I decided to enroll in a Karate class for some strange reason.

The person teaching us, was a tough looking bloke. Obviously been hit rather a lot, and competant in his art.
    Certainly not soemone who you would pick on.

His first and most important advice in fighting, was that 'If someone attempts to attack you with any form of weapon, the best action always (if you can), is to run!'

Interesting comment from a 'hard man'

My worry is more of the greatly increasing number of folks who get dragged out of their cars at traffic lights. From what I hear this is becoming increasingly more common over here. I live in the quiet country, and only recently we had a car stolen through threat of violence only 5 mins from where I live.

I'd say its a lot safer here. But not completely!

...Add

Congratulations on your reaction. You were in a difficult situation, and reacted well! Even if one summized it would have been easy to take on the three 'thugs' (not saying you did or didn't), beating up underaged kids has all kinds of potential legal ramnifications.

I have a wife and two daughters (21 and 23 years old). They all have pepper spray in their cars and in their purses. This is the best solution and should clearly satisfy UK law for proportionate defense. Also, your wife and you can carry the spray and not feel the need to avoid that area. Finally, you might want to consider a noise blaster for the wife. Compressed air noise makers come in very small sizes. I am president of the school board for a large wealthy suburban school district here in the States and we encourage our students to make noise to get the attention of others when they find themselves in this type of situation. Usually the noise scares the would be offenders off.

It is important for you and your wife to realize that you were simply innocent random victims, picked on by pure chance. But for the will of God, that could have been anyone on this board/forum.

Godspeed to you my friend!

I'm kinda late to this discussion but: GOOD FOR YOU! You punched them out and it was done (better than shooting or stungunning thus avoiding lawsuits ruining your life). Good news: the incident means your chance of getting mugged again in your lifetime is now probably zero.

Easy , you were bang on with the way you acted , literally .

Now fully move on and carry on enjoying life , unlike the envious drug taking scum that tread the earth , they p**s me off..

All the best to the both of you...

throt...

Jim, very interesting points you raised.

I can only speak as an English lawyer. England and Wales are one legal jurisdiction. Scotland and Northern Ireland are each separate legal jurisdictions.

In English law, my use of violence against the 3 youths could be regarded as a 'battery'. (An 'assault' in English law is not the actual use of violence but is constituted by the 'threat' of violence). Anyway, I would rely upon self-defence as a general defence to any charge brought for battery.

Yes I was outnumbered 3 to 1, yes they had bike seats and I had nothing to protect myself. But basically the Court will consider "all the circumstances of the case". As such, there is no abstract concept of 'disparity of force' but such factors would be taken into account when judging the incident as a whole. A case like this would be heard before Magistrates sitting in a Magistrates' Court.

A few other things I wanted to mention before I let this topic go.

It took me a while to get over the feeling of being powerless, helpless almost when attacked. Sure, I helped myself but I had been intensely vulnerable for a brief period. Both my wife and I had been at risk of unspecified and unlimited harm. One of the reasons why it has taken a while before I could talk about this incident was because I felt a sense of shame/embarrassment at having been attacked in that way. I know this is irrational but, trust me, all sorts of irrational feelings stream through one's being after being attacked in the street.

BTW, my wife and I waited in the McDonalds afterwards for a good 30 minutes so that there was no risk that the 3 youths might follow us home. There was no way I was going to let this recur through them knowing where I live. That much I decided upon even though I was so shaken.

Subsequently whenever I felt what I can only describe as a kind of rage or fury whenever I contemplated what they had done to my wife and I, I must say that I have wished that I had really hurt them 'properly' for what they had put us through and the subsequent emotional suffering they caused us. So much so that I found myself wanting to bump into them again just so that I could really punish them properly.

Hggh. Enough now. I think I've revealed the dark part of my character enough. I feel better now. Thanks. Peace.

These sort of stress creates a lot of anxiety+

Easy, I went through something similar. About 5 years ago, my family was touring in Italy driving from Milano on our way to tuscany for a wedding. My wife (3 mths pregnant) was with her sister in the car in front and I was with the kids and my bro-in-law. The ladies wanted to stop for shopping while the guys got to go ahead to settle the kids.
    It was summer so obviously the summer jams were on. I could just see the girls up front and was talking to them on the phone when suddenly 3 guys came up from nowhere and tried to rob them at knifepoint, pulling them out of the car. I immediately ran up to them and starting screaming at those guys. Other people stayed in their cars (I don't blame them) initially.
    Long story short, with the help of a few other people we caught these guys. But they threw my pregnant wife out of the car violently trying to commandeer the car to escape. Basically they caused her to miscarriage. They were albanian refugees and they were sentenced to 8 years in jail on robbery but not manslaughter since the baby was in the first trimester. Fortunately my wife is a strong woman and we've overcome our grief and anguish.
    But anger and stress are normal feelings to have. Just be glad you made it through without physical damage.

Re: These sort of stress creates a lot of anxiety+

Wow all these stories are really heart felt i am glad all of you where allright for the most-part, but my sympathy goes out to all. It's a tough world we live in. Look alive and stay safe rennteamers.

easy rider, I am so sorry and I am so glad that you and your wife are okay. Sadly that how some kids are nowdays. When I was 14 years old I would not dare do such things look at some of these 14 year old kids now. I hate to say it but I have seen some kids that are so sweet and polite and some that I just want to beat the crap out of them.

Leave it be my friend I know it's difficult to let go but things like this happen and bottom line you and your wife are sound and safe. Sadly many of these kids have parents that are scums of earth and the kid has only learned from them.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Easy, you did well. I would have done the same, and completely agree with 69bossnine

Hey STRADALE,
    Will we be seing you in the "Octagon" soon?

Nahhh, I'm too old to START fighting in the UFC. Although people have tried to convince me to. Lots of reasons why I don't. Mostly it's not worth the risk to my business & support of my family if I were to get hurt. My fights are more Karate then anything and you wear headgear & footgear. No punching/elbowing to the head if you're down. Besides I'm more of a lover than a fighter. Below is 2 pic.s from my very first fight (N.J. Meadowlands Exposition Center )...... Talk about being scared.

ps: Don't miss Hughes vs. Gracie, Saturday, May 27th.

I can't wait to see that fight. I met Joyce Gracie about six weeks ago, he's a really nice guy. It's amazing the hurting that guy could put on someone and he doesn't look the least bit intimidating. I hope he wins!

He's amazing. I just can't see him beating Hughes. Duno no it's going to be amazing. I'm already getting goose-bumps.

Did you hear there's going to be a special on tonight about the upcoming fight ?

>>Hughes vs Gracie Countdown Airs on Spike TV Tonight
    Get ready for UFC 60 and the epic clash between Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie as Spike TV airs "UFC Countdown: Hughes vs Gracie" tonight at 10pm. This special one hour preview show contains fight clips and exclusive interviews with the combatants as they prepare for next Saturday's bout at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.<<

Hey STRADALE-

Which one are you? The guy still standing or the guy laying on the ground?

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Hey STRADALE-

Which one are you? The guy still standing or the guy laying on the ground?

LOL! The first pic (bowing before the match) I'm facing the camera, the second pic I'm the one standing.

Just wanted to check! Didn't think you wanted to post a "hall of shame" moment on the web.

I am looking forward to the Hughes-Gracie fight as well. Unfortunately I'm flying my family out to Vegas and won't be able to attend.

Easy, it's been said many times already but I'd like to also agree... you handled the situation very well and you must move on, street kids DO usually carry knifes and in some parts of London guns...you and your wife could have been seriously injured.

Regarding Martial arts, I want to alert members contemplating training to realise it's not an automatic defence thing...I have spent almost my entire life in all sorts of martial arts including boxing and have had a few bad life experiences... Training and learning self defence is only a small part of defending yourself you need to have the SPIRIT and by that I mean when the time comes, can a student who has trained for years upon years in a dojo under controlled conditions, acutely take someone out with personal control and calmness? My experience with students is only a small portion can actually achieve this and most end up brawling on the floor, panicking or freezing. But some training is better than none as long as your confidence doesn't make you think your some sort of superman.

If you want to learn about your own personal strength/spirit, try a closed ring sport with timed rounds, this will test most people's spirit as there's no escape.

But what about the attacker that charges at you...you've got a split second before he's dancing on your face......The best defence is NO Defence. Run, walk the other way. Be alert and if you have no choice, go at them like a train, DON'T hold back...make sure they stay down, Even 15 year old kids.

Kids or Adults...All it needs is one swoosh with a knife and your history...forget the legal worries...you're could be fighting for your life in a hospital.

These kids spend each day on the streets getting into trouble and experiencing aggression and violence. We spend our lives working and being decent law abiding people and have little if no experience.

So you did good, very good, only next time hit as hard as you can...reverse the fear...make them think you're the nastiest piece of work they've ever encountered...sorry but its so common for these cowardly scum bags to test before attacking...be it a push towards your chest or in your case some words...

Peace to all

Self defense.

ps: I disagree about hitting them as hard as you can. - Where'd you say you trained ?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Self defense.

ps: I disagree about hitting them as hard as you can. - Where'd you say you trained ?

I understand your concern, hitting hard is always going to be controversial.

I ran a 'free style club' in my factory for a couple of years....was lots of fun...everything from boxing through to really tough street fighters turned up...all in good spirit, but mixing everything up really exposed some cracks in the more traditional styles

Until recently (returning very shortly) have been doing Karate 'Shotokan' for about 15 years, heavly involved with the clubs...helping with the kids and juniors. Previously did Whu Shu Kwan (Chinese Boxing) for most of my youth and Traditional boxing in my late teens and early twenties.

My Dad trained in Japan and started a Martial Arts academy in London back in the 60's, so been around the sport all my life.

Quote:
    med said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Self defense.

I ran a 'free style club' in my factory for a couple of years....was lots of fun...everything from boxing through to really tough street fighters turned up...all in good spirit, but mixing everything up really exposed some cracks in the more traditional styles

Until recently (returning very shortly) have been doing Karate 'Shotokan' for about 15 years, heavly involved with the clubs...helping with the kids and juniors. Previously did Whu Shu Kwan (Chinese Boxing) for most of my youth and Traditional boxing in my late teens and early twenties.

My Dad trained in Japan and started a Martial Arts academy in London back in the 60's, so been around the sport all my life.

RE: "hitting hard is always going to be controversial".

Not really. You've been working w/ kids, I'm surprised then you would advocate full force strike on a 12 year old. I couldn't imagine what I would do to a 12 yr old if I hit them 'as hard as I can'. IMHO there are other, more appropriate ways to defend yourself in that situation. But who knows, guess the laws are different in places and what's appropriate depending on the situation is in a very grey area.

Very cool.. Which academy did he start. ?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    med said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Self defense.

Not really. You've been working w/ kids, I'm surprised then you would advocate full force strike on a 12 year old. I couldn't imagine what I would do to a 12 yr old if I hit them 'as hard as I can'. IMHO there are other, more appropriate ways to defend yourself in that situation. But who knows, guess the laws are different in places and what's appropriate depending on the situation is in a very grey area.

This is a tricky subject and really depends on the situation; I suppose you make a point regarding 12 year olds. I was more referring to older kids say 15 plus and a hard blow doesn't necessary have to be the face.

But on the flip side: armed kids that could stick a weapon in your wife's face??? I think we need to just agree it depends on many variables....my point was more that when you have a split second to make such a decision and if you decide to respond, you have to be brutal and not hold back or just forget it and RUN.

It's very similar to what someone said earlier regarding weapons used in defence are commonly taken and used by the attacker...its all about commitment.

It's psychologically difficult for most men to punch someone else (thank goodness), you have to be fully committed mentally or it maybe too late.

My Dad was one of the first instructors of Okinawan Karate in the UK and his teaching was based mainly in London, Marshal Street.

His Club reduced to about 6 senior grade friends/instructors (and sometimes me). This was based in small Church Hall (Trinity Church) in Islington, London during the 80-90's. He's retired from teaching about 10 years ago, but is still fit and very agile...I wouldn't cross him.

This is all perfect timing for me...all this martial arts chat...one of my buddies who runs several clubs and was part of the England Karate team that visited Japan last years (exceptional martial artist), is attempting to get me fit for a full return... where meeting at 7.00am tomorrow (running and all that boring stuff).. Just the thought of it is making me feel tired.

Quote:
    med said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    med said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Self defense.

This is a tricky subject and really depends on the situation; I suppose you make a point regarding 12 year olds. I was more referring to older kids say 15 plus and a hard blow doesn't necessary have to be the face.

But on the flip side: armed kids that could stick a weapon in your wife's face??? I think we need to just agree it depends on many variables....my point was more that when you have a split second to make such a decision and if you decide to respond, you have to be brutal and not hold back or just forget it and RUN.

It's very similar to what someone said earlier regarding weapons used in defence are commonly taken and used by the attacker...its all about commitment.

It's psychologically difficult for most men to punch someone else (thank goodness), you have to be fully committed mentally or it maybe too late.

My Dad was one of the first instructors of Okinawan Karate in the UK and his teaching was based mainly in London, Marshal Street.

His Club reduced to about 6 senior grade friends/instructors (and sometimes me). This was based in small Church Hall (Trinity Church) in Islington, London during the 80-90's. He's retired from teaching about 10 years ago, but is still fit and very agile...I wouldn't cross him.

This is all perfect timing for me...all this martial arts chat...one of my buddies who runs several clubs and was part of the England Karate team that visited Japan last years (exceptional martial artist), is attempting to get me fit for a full return... where meeting at 7.00am tomorrow (running and all that boring stuff).. Just the thought of it is making me feel tired.

I would normally agree. If you're going to strike don't pull punches. One thing I wont do is run. It's an awkward position that easy rider was in. Being 6 foot 3 and having not even teeneagers attack you. Not really positive how'd I react to that especially considering my wife was in danger, it would depend on how physically threatened I felt we were. But what he did I think was 100% in his right.

What I was referring to instead of perhaps striking is a Judo/ Jujitsu way of dealing with a threat like that. Even the proper defensive stance can often deter someone from coming at you. You know what I mean.

I once got out of a fight just by having the dope throw punches & miss me. But I had lots of room to manuver, it was on a beach. He threw a punch, I ducked. Threw another one I weaved. By the 5th punch that missed I'm having fun and laughing and so are the people that started watching. He got frustrated or embarrassed enough to move on. But I knew just from looking at him that he wasn't going to get anywhere near me. It was over something dumb and I wasn't angered by it so I didn't want to hurt the guy. And like I said there was plenty of room to move.

Good luck with your training. Cardio is everything. The vast majority of people watching a fight have no idea how physically exhausting a few minutes of MMA can be. More so than any other sport period including boxing.

Good luck with your training. Cardio is everything. The vast majority of people watching a fight have no idea how physically exhausting a few minutes of MMA can be. More so than any other sport period including boxing.

Thanks and I totally agree....shame that I've just had a big business lunch after all that work earlier

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803690 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448667 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266260 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90139 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6703 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885971 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833811 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM