Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Walter Röhrl comment on Cayman

Well the extra weight doesn't seem to have done the Cayman any harm, on a few tests it's very similar in track times to the Lotus Exige with track tires, yet you can use it every day too.

LSD..........it 's a bit of a wild card that one, most Porsches don't have one and no ones complained until now, but now the Cayman doesn't have one it's the be all and end all.

Fact is this; the Caymans sold loads in the states and are well on course with Porsches sales figures and estimates, despite the internet BS. It's had rave reviews in 99% of the press. It's quicker than my 996 in cross country driving and is better built, this entire pi$$es off the 911 boys who really wanted Porsche to make a pigs ear of it. Hence the constant need by some people to come on this board and say the usual about price, LSD, marketing.

It hasn't happened; Boxster and 911 owners are just going to have to get used to the new kid on the block, that's just as quick as the 997 on the road and makes the Boxster feel a bit soft.

Read it and weep suckers

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    LSD..........it 's a bit of a wild card that one, most Porsches don't have one and no ones complained until now, but now the Cayman doesn't have one it's the be all and end all.

It's because the 911 platform provides much more traction than that of the boxster/cayman and the need for it is not so obvious...

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    Read it and weep suckers

Boring?

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    bubblegum said:

It's because the 911 platform provides much more traction than that of the boxster/cayman and the need for it is not so obvious...

Exactly right. Personally, I think LSD should be standard on 911 also, but it's much more necessary on the mid-engined Cayman. I can't think of a single mid-engined high performance sports car that doesn't have an LSD (at least as optional) other than the Cayman...

I personally think the Cayman S is a briliant marketing concept by PAG. For the money, its the best P car you can buy today, if you dont want a ragtop. For the price I pay for a 911 plus taxes (here add 65%) buying a Cayman is as justifiable as buying a 997 S in the US. Those of us who always dreamt about owning a P car (sure, a 911, the icon) I found the Cayman a good excuse to enter the P race. We all want a faster and better car, so who knows my next car could be a GT3 or a TT, or better yet, a Cayman TT. So, instead of buying a M3 or M5, I chose P. Thats what PAG wanted since day one. For now, the Cayman is the best P for me, and for many, the best all around. And its as good as Porsche wants it to be. Kudos to P.

I don't think anyone here is saying the Cayman isn't a wonderful car. Sorry to repeat myself, and to be down on something that gives many people deserved pleasure, but it's just that they've designed a stunning car and then kicked the legs out from under it by leaving off an essential item. It simply isn't befitting of a company with so many Le Mans victories to leave out something like this. Their marketing strategy is irrelevant to me and if they want to be the next BMW, I am sure they will feel good about their success but to me they seem to be abandoning the very qualities that made them what they are. And, this is not just a survival issue. They can equip a car with sport suspensions, LSDs, AND with Nav systems and purple-stiched kangeroo leather sun visors if that's what their clientele require.

And, yes, many 911s don't have LSDs but, as someone pointed out, they have inherently better traction. And, Boxsters don't have it, but until recently they were not quite as powerful as the Cayman either. The Cayman needs an LSD. If the occasional track day enthusiast like myself can drive this car for 10 minutes and feel this problem, it's a problem.

If the Cayman is in such a need of a LSD, how come it's so fast round a track then?

The track times are very quick and on par with much lighter track day cars. Lets not forget that in the never ending quest to undermine Porsche's best handling car (expect the CGT maybe, but I haven't driven and can't comment)

I exited a small tight round-about yesterday and for the first time felt the inside wheel spin, this is the only time I've notice the lack of a LSD. It didn't exactly impede of rapid exit either. I was giving it full beans at the time and shouldn't really drive like that on the road either. The point I'm making is it doesn't really make much difference to me and won't to anybody else unless you're on the track and even then only in tight turns. In normal road driving it's totally a non issue

If the Cayman had failed there wouldn't be a constant need by other Porsche owners to justify there own purchase

My LSD wears my driving shoes.

... but then my Dad is bigger than your Dad.

sorry, haven't got a clue what any of that means

Quote:
    bubblegum said:The point I'm making is it doesn't really make much difference to me and won't to anybody else unless you're on the track and even then only in tight turns. In normal road driving it's totally a non issue

By that argument, the fact that the car can go 170mph and take a sweeping corner at 120mph is useless also, since it will never be called on to do so in normal street driving. We may as well all be driving Hondas for normal street driving.

Of course most sportscars cannot be properly driven unless you're on a track (or a very isolated curvy road). That doesn't mean I want any of its capabilities stripped out...

It's not really the same thing, is it?

Not having LSD didn't make any difference to me and won't make any difference to 99% of Cayman owners, that's the real issue, not some silly argument about taking corners at 120 mph

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bubblegum said:The point I'm making is it doesn't really make much difference to me and won't to anybody else unless you're on the track and even then only in tight turns. In normal road driving it's totally a non issue

By that argument, the fact that the car can go 170mph and take a sweeping corner at 120mph is useless also, since it will never be called on to do so in normal street driving. We may as well all be driving Hondas for normal street driving.

Of course most sportscars cannot be properly driven unless you're on a track (or a very isolated curvy road). That doesn't mean I want any of its capabilities stripped out...

Don't waste your time Grant, there is none so blind as those that won't see.

Dream car, you still on here slagging the Cayman given an chance, it really must have pissed you off when the Cayman came out, I'd be surprised if you've still got a wife(or ever had one) such is your time spent on here justifying your Boxster.

Have you got anything better to do??

I wouldn't dream of going on website moaning about a car I didn't own, man your one sad looser, 10 out of 10 for perseverance though.

The enthusiasts who critique Porsche's products are simply trying to keep them honest. It sometimes occurs that enthusiast opinion does matter to many companies, and some change their product range in response to voiced rather than purchased demand. All I'm doing is voicing my demand. If I didn't think the Cayman was not a worthy car, if I wouldn't like to have some incarnation of one, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a Saturday morning writing this. I am hoping -- probably unrealistically -- that some of this will trickle back to Porsche and they will make the Cayman a better car, much the way Lotus responded to its autocross consumers and finally offered a TBD on the US Elise. Most of the folks on this board aren't mean-spirited; they just want better Porsches. LSD is a pretty small item, if you've ever seen one in person, and some cars need them more than other cars.

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    Dream car, you still on here slagging the Cayman given an chance, it really must have pissed you off when the Cayman came out, I'd be surprised if you've still got a wife(or ever had one) such is your time spent on here justifying your Boxster.

Have you got anything better to do??

I wouldn't dream of going on website moaning about a car I didn't own, man your one sad looser, 10 out of 10 for perseverance though.

I have not "slagged off" the Cayman. Why would I? It would surely be an own goal when it is a sharper handling, quicker Boxster derivative? THE CAYMAN IS A FIRST CLASS DRIVER'S CAR EVEN BETTER THAN THE BOXSTER Happy now? It's certain individuals I have a problem with. But I see after your long absence from this forum shortly after you accused me of saying something I didn't you have returned with all the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. At least your childish name-calling has stopped, even if your rude and personal comments continue.There is only one "o" in loser, by the way.

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    It's not really the same thing, is it?

Not having LSD didn't make any difference to me and won't make any difference to 99% of Cayman owners, that's the real issue, not some silly argument about taking corners at 120 mph

I miss not having an LSD in my 993 (which has inherently more traction than a Cayman) every single weekend when I drive in the mountains. I'd miss not having an LSD even more in a Cayman.

My 73 911 has a great LSD and its effects are felt every time I drive it (it originally had no LSD and I added it recently, so I'm very aware of the changes brought by it).

Quote:
    bubblegum said:Not having LSD didn't make any difference to me and won't make any difference to 99% of Cayman owners, that's the real issue, not some silly argument about taking corners at 120 mph

You bought a Cayman mainly because it performs better than a Boxster. And now you say that you don't need that performance?... Sorry, I think I've lost you.

By the way, addressing us as silly, stupid, suckers is not going to make us take you particularly seriously. And less personal attacks, OK? That's just not necessary.

Same 3 posters, what a shock!

i have a little peaceful opinion here to express, please dont get me burnt

in the agrument between 911 and cayman s, caymans maybe more considerable for the younger age group people?
    For me.
    first i have changed my mind from boxster s to cayman s since i found out i like to be sitting in a coupe better than a topless car.the 997 is surely a great car but i would like to start from the cayman first. i will consider buying 997 maybe in another 5 years or so?(ill be 21 in june)and another minor reason, which involves a bit of social status, is i dont want to have people look at me in the way of "driving dads car and bragging around type" and certainly cayman s would make a little sense for younger people to own?(p.s. i am paying for the cayman s myself)

performance wise, i am not too deep into it since i dont think there are many people who can actually use the car to the limit on the track.unless the one can make the same lap time as walter in NBR. and at last the cayman s should satisfy me for the time being til i start thinking about the 997 series in the future.

and IMO (many people have already mentioned this point in this forum too) when you are buying a car, you should ask yourself if you really like or feeling comfortable with it ...etc rather than base on other peoples like-ness and being too deep into performance wise?.. there is always a better car around the corner...unless you are able to afford all the high end cars( enzo, cgt...etc) then i am sure you will get no complaint at all. : )

so enjoy what you have gotten and look forward to what you are getting!
    peace out~

what is the problem here.?i have done 1000 miles in my cayman,driven it quite hard and have not missed the lsd. there is plenty of 911 drivers who think that a 911 is the only porsche (R C) so diss the cayman. but having driven 911s ferraris and lambo i must say the car is very good and with a little more power will definitely beat a 911!

The car is quite good and is entertaining measured against many cars. However, hypothetically, would you buy a car that was programmed electronically to lose power in a tight turn, just so it wouldn't be too fast for the manufacturer's model line-up? Well, whether you can feel it or not (I can), something similar is happening here. The Cayman is designed to be mechanically flawed in exiting tight turns under hard acceleration. It's a tremendous car, just not a substantial effort in light of what minimal changes could vastly improve the car. The price is rather substantial, and if they offered the car at the Boxster's price, there would be less complaining about the LSD, I would imagine. We should at least have the option.

Quote:
    jlr said:
    However, hypothetically, would you buy a car that was programmed electronically to lose power in a tight turn, just so it wouldn't be too fast for the manufacturer's model line-up? Well, whether you can feel it or not (I can), something similar is happening here. The Cayman is designed to be mechanically flawed in exiting tight turns under hard acceleration.

You didn't notice the PSM light flashing in your cockpit display when the car "lost power"?

That was the stability control system cutting in.

Quote:
    twin turbo said:
    what is the problem here.?i have done 1000 miles in my cayman,driven it quite hard and have not missed the lsd. there is plenty of 911 drivers who think that a 911 is the only porsche (R C) so diss the cayman. but having driven 911s ferraris and lambo i must say the car is very good and with a little more power will definitely beat a 911!

Obviously you are not driving it as hard as you might think.
    Too many others have noticed that the lack of a LSD is
    a detriment to enjoying its full performance potential.

Fritz, I had the car in sport mode, PASM on firm and the PSM in off/diminished mode. Further, it is my habit to turn off traction control or stability management, unless it is wet. I do this, not because I think I can drive faster with it off, but because it's more entertaining. I do this everyday in my VW R32 and it's tendency to rotate is thereby increased. The salesman was a friend and was comfortable with my driving. I did not notice any PSM lights flashing. The "loss of power" felt like it came from the inside rear wheel, but it was definitely a "loss of power" because I lost the momentum I felt I had. I suppose it's possible that the PSM came on anyway and I didn't notice it. In any case, the Cayman needs an LSD.

If the Cayman "needs" a LSD how come it's so fast round a track then?........ Walter Röhrl thinks most drivers would be quicker in the Cayman than the base 997 on the road; also the lack of a diff didn't seem to be a problem when the Cayman manages to beat the Carrera S through the sprint course as mentioned in the first thread of this post. Surely if the lack of a diff was such a detriment to the Cayman it wouldn't be keeping up with cars which cost
    25K more

Grant , you posted this "
    I can't think of a single mid-engined high performance sports car that doesn't have an LSD (at least as optional) other than the Cayman..."

You really must try harder, the Exige doesn't have LSD and that's a track car more or less

Also, LSD in your 993 or not the Cayman would leave you for dead on any twisty road; if the road was bumpy you'd have even less of a chance to hang on to the Cayman..... You could be fully diffed up wouldn't make any difference, that's not just my opinion either. Evo Magazine tested a 993 against the Cayman and it wasn't pretty

Facts and figures speak for themselves.........suckers

I really don't know how you guys can be arsed with your vitriol

Quote:
    bubblegum said:Grant , you posted this "
    I can't think of a single mid-engined high performance sports car that doesn't have an LSD (at least as optional) other than the Cayman..."

You really must try harder, the Exige doesn't have LSD and that's a track car more or less

Sorry, try again. Both Elise and Exige have optional LSD for over a year...

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    If the Cayman "needs" a LSD how come it's so fast round a track then?........ Walter Röhrl thinks most drivers would be quicker in the Cayman than the base 997 on the road; also the lack of a diff didn't seem to be a problem when the Cayman manages to beat the Carrera S through the sprint course as mentioned in the first thread of this post. Surely if the lack of a diff was such a detriment to the Cayman it wouldn't be keeping up with cars which cost
    25K more

Also, LSD in your 993 or not the Cayman would leave you for dead on any twisty road; if the road was bumpy you'd have even less of a chance to hang on to the Cayman..... You could be fully diffed up wouldn't make any difference, that's not just my opinion either. Evo Magazine tested a 993 against the Cayman and it wasn't pretty

Wow - you don't get it do you? I'm not trying to denigrate the Cayman or say that my 993 is a superior car. What I am saying is that the Cayman (as good a car as it already is) would be a far better performing (and more entertaining) car with an LSD. I have nothing negative to say about the Cayman, except it needs an LSD. Sure, maybe it's faster than a 993 or 997 without an LSD, but does that mean it shouldn't have one? That is just not rational. Even Walther Rohrl said it needed one...

No, it's you that's missing the point, Walther Rohrl said it would be better with one, but thats hardly a big surprise though, it would be better with an extra 100 BHP and 200KGs lighter, but that's not going to happen either.

The Cayman doesn't "NEED" a LSD, nor has Walther Rohrl ever claimed it did. So to keep banging on that it does is wrong imo, Your trying to make a minor issue in to a bigger than one than it is.

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    Same 3 posters, what a shock!

Can I be #4 bubbs ?? , no! , on second thoughts I have not read the reports on the Cayman due to it not being my cuppa tea . I let you ""carry on""..

I return to my cage ...

throt..

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Wow - you don't get it do you?

In my view, after my test drive round a tight, challenging test route, the advantage of that magnificent, super responsive vario-cam plus engine was largely nullified by the lack of a LSD. Unless you don't know any better, of course.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803877 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448709 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266305 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886031 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834112 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM