Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Manual faster on NBR

'The manual (997 Turbo) saves some face, though, with test driver Rohrl noting that the self-shifter is three seconds faster around Nurburgring (than the Tip), thanks largely to the extra ratio on offer.' Drive.com.au

That was the time I was waiting for. The 'Ring time is the best measure of sports car performance. This ends the manual versus Tip debate for me. Manual with LSD gets my vote.

AUM

Re: Manual faster on NBR

Manual with LSD (even if it wasn't faster at the NBR) would be far more fun to drive - you should have no doubts - good choice!

Here's the whole article:

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=11917&vf=2

Article says 7:49 for mamual and 7:52 for Tip at NBR, no mention of Sport Chrono or Sport Tires...

And this clip:

"It's not so much the lack of a sixth ratio that reduces the fun factor in the auto - the engine's flexibility accepts that challenge - but the fact it isn't always in tune with the driver.

Sometimes it'll jump down to a lower gear with a tad too much enthusiasm. Other times it will hold gears when you don't really need it.

It's also easily to accidentally graze the shift buttons on the steering wheel (there's no option of shifting with the gearlever) prompting an unwanted change.

But as far as autos in a sports car goes, it's one of the better ones.

Still, it makes you wonder how much better the double-clutch system will be when Porsche finally unveils it."

I agree with AUM. I would add that the only legitimate automotive test of acceleration is quarter mile E.T. Looking forward to a car mag test quarter mile where a 6-speed is actually launched ,i.e 4-5 k rpm and dumping clutch. Wonder if boost would be activated then?

For straightline performance, I am most interested in 0-300 kph times.I drive to the 'Ring on unrestricted autobahns - and empty, twisty country lanes

AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:

'The manual (997 Turbo) saves some face, though, with test driver Rohrl noting that the self-shifter is three seconds faster around Nurburgring (than the Tip), thanks largely to the extra ratio on offer.' Drive.com.au

That was the time I was waiting for. The 'Ring time is the best measure of sports car performance. This ends the manual versus Tip debate for me. Manual with LSD gets my vote.

AUM

Sometimes I wish...
    1. Walter Röhrl works for Porsche and tells car journalists what he's supposed to tell them
    2. Tiptronic is somehow in short supply right now
    3. Tiptronic PLUS Sports Chrono is the deal (did Walter Röhrl say that the manual is faster than Tiptronic with Sports Chrono? ).

I think I just give it up trying to give you guys a little insight, some of you are so focused on manual, others only at track performance and others don't understand the VTG technology and it's major advantage (electronically controlled impellers) at all.
    It also seems to me that a lot of people didn't yet understand the Sports Chrono Package. Some think this is a stupid watch only, some think it is only somehow reducing PSM(ESP) reaction. But it is much much more.

I understand that it is difficult to believe that something like an automatic tranny can be that fast. But things aren't that simple. People who compare the Tiptronic of the 997 Turbo to the one on the 997 Carrera or even on the Cayenne, didn't understand anything. To make it clear: I would have NEVER ordered a Carrera with Tiptronic.

I give it up.

BTW: as soon as I have some spare time, I'll write a little technical "FAQ" regarding Tiptronic S, Sports Chrono, PASM and PTM, explaining how all these systems work together to help you to understand what I'm actually trying to tell you all the time.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

AUM

Sometimes I wish...
    1. Walter Röhrl works for Porsche and tells car journalists what he's supposed to tell them
    2. Tiptronic is somehow in short supply right now
    3. Tiptronic PLUS Sports Chrono is the deal (did Walter Röhrl say that the manual is faster than Tiptronic with Sports Chrono? ).

I think I just give it up trying to give you guys a little insight, some of you are so focused on manual, others only at track performance and others don't understand the VTG technology and it's major advantage (electronically controlled impellers) at all.
    It also seems to me that a lot of people didn't yet understand the Sports Chrono Package. Some think this is a stupid watch only, some think it is only somehow reducing PSM(ESP) reaction. But it is much much more.

I understand that it is difficult to believe that something like an automatic tranny can be that fast. But things aren't that simple. People who compare the Tiptronic of the 997 Turbo to the one on the 997 Carrera or even on the Cayenne, didn't understand anything. To make it clear: I would have NEVER ordered a Carrera with Tiptronic.

I give it up.

BTW: as soon as I have some spare time, I'll write a little technical "FAQ" regarding Tiptronic S, Sports Chrono, PASM and PTM, explaining how all these systems work together to help you to understand what I'm actually trying to tell you all the time.

RC, don't bother with it. We understand the technologies and I believe most people here are going to buy the manual for the fun factor, not the straightline speed, although they obviously will jump at any piece of news, telling them what they would like to hear.
    I believe everyone will be happy in the end: you with your Tip and the manual brigade with the 6-speed. Must be hell on Earth, knowing that you must wait another month or so for your car .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    I believe everyone will be happy in the end: you with your Tip and the manual brigade with the 6-speed. Must be hell on Earth, knowing that you must wait another month or so for your car .

This isn't about who is happy with Tip or manual, this is about maximum performance. And those who ordered manual think that this is what they're getting, including all the fun. Funny enough, 90% of these people would probably order PDK if it would be available, a shifting system which would actually work the same way like the Tiptronic does (incl. manual and auto) but only with a better reaction time. This is actually what I don't understand. Tip? No. PDK? Yes. Of course you can't really compare both because the shifting reaction time of the PDK is much better but Tip and manual deliver practically the same shifting speed on the 997 Turbo. Another thing is that since I ordered Tiptronic, I suddenly find myself in the "yeah, Tiptronic, for women and old guys" situation. This can only mean one thing: people didn't understand that the Tip with sports chrono is different on the 997 Turbo. I really can't say more, I wish I could without putting myself in a delicate position. But those who know me personally know what kind of driver I am and that Tiptronic would definetely NOT be my type of choice for a sportscar. BUT...well, enough said.
    To each his own I guess, we're probably running this forum because we don't know what we're talking about.

So, if you are trying to extract maximum performance and you have SC/overboost... if you're driving on the 'Ring, do you have to constantly press the overboost button throughout the 8 minutes you're on the 'Ring? If so, I can see another advantage for the Tip. You can't shift a manual with the right hand and hit the overboost button every ten seconds.

Where did you people get the ideea of an overboost 'button'??

overboost comes on when you kick-down with car in sport mode 'on'.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

To each his own I guess, we're probably running this forum because we don't know what we're talking about.

Yeah, I'm sure you drive a Punto in your everyday life .

Quote:
    This can only mean one thing: people didn't understand that the Tip with sports chrono is different on the 997 Turbo. I really can't say more, I wish I could without putting myself in a delicate position.

Now you've really peaked my curiosity! If there's something you can't tell us this should be interesting...
    Does it have anything to do with high-speed acceleration?

This not about a "right" or "wrong" decision...either way the buyer can pick the transmission that suits their driving style, emotional expectations, or bragging rights...

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    This not about a "right" or "wrong" decision...either way the buyer can pick the transmission that suits their driving style, emotional expectations, or bragging rights...

... or Body Length

Quote:
    RC said:I think I just give it up trying to give you guys a little insight, some of you are so focused on manual, others only at track performance and others don't understand the VTG technology and it's major advantage (electronically controlled impellers) at all.

I understand that it is difficult to believe that something like an automatic tranny can be that fast.

RC - Some folks will appreciate the control that a manual provides even if the lauching is not as fast as with a Tip (or even if the tracktime is slower, if you're trying to tell us the Tip laps faster).

Here's a question - Will the 997GT2 come with a Tip? If not, why not?

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

So, help me understand. With the manual transmission, if sport mode is enabled, overboost is available, as long as you go agressive with the throttle, for a maximum duration of 10 seconds. When you upshift, and hammer the throttle, overboost is available again. And so on, until you are done shifting and/or relax the throttle. So, in actuality, overboost is available all the time, when you need it.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    intouch1 said:

So, help me understand. With the manual transmission, if sport mode is enabled, overboost is available, as long as you go agressive with the throttle, for a maximum duration of 10 seconds. When you upshift, and hammer the throttle, overboost is available again. And so on, until you are done shifting and/or relax the throttle. So, in actuality, overboost is available all the time, when you need it.

basically, yes.
    the overboost is available between approx. 2000- 5000 rpm. check my previous posts for exact numbers.
    as it does not take ten seconds to cover that rpm range, the boost is lost when you go above 5000 rpm, the car shifts and boost is there again till the revs reach 5000 again in an upper gear.

only when constantly driving above 5000 rpm i.e. very high speeds will overboost switch off after 10 seconds.

this basically means that overboost is 'always on' when accellerating hard and only when reaching speeds near the cars limit it will exhaust the 10 second limit.

hope i was able to make it clear.....

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    intouch1 said:

basically, yes.
    the overboost is available between approx. 2000- 5000 rpm. check my previous posts for exact numbers.
    as it does not take ten seconds to cover that rpm range, the boost is lost when you go above 5000 rpm, the car shifts and boost is there again till the revs reach 5000 again in an upper gear.

only when constantly driving above 5000 rpm i.e. very high speeds will overboost switch off after 10 seconds.

this basically means that overboost is 'always on' when accellerating hard and only when reaching speeds near the cars limit it will exhaust the 10 second limit.

hope i was able to make it clear.....

Yes, thanks for the explanation. The overboost function is more attractive than I originally thought.

If Tiptronic is so good why can't I order it for my GT3?

Quote:
    bluelines said:

I think the conventional wisdom on the 997TT's Tip is that it is integrated into the software that controls the boost on the new VTG turbos, so a Tip on a GT3 would be just as lousy as on a 997(S), but you'd miss the extra gear even more, since the GT3 has a more narrow power band (high in the rev range).

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:

... or Body Length

Isn't Walter Rohl 6' 7"? He doesn't seems to have trouble with manual.

Quote:
    bluelines said:

LOL... you asked the magic question...

Before someone chimes in with the "the GT3 lacks the new VTG/all-wheel/magic snake oil... the better question is... if this version of Tipronic is superior, will it be offered in the 997 GT2?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:

I think the conventional wisdom on the 997TT's Tip is that it is integrated into the software that controls the boost on the new VTG turbos, so a Tip on a GT3 would be just as lousy as on a 997(S), but you'd miss the extra gear even more, since the GT3 has a more narrow power band (high in the rev range).

I agree. It's amazing there is so much hatred on the tip when no one on this board has driven it, and when Porsche quotes how much faster the tip with s/c is over the manual.

"The car is a standard 911 Turbo, fitted with the sports option pack that adds 60Nm more to the mid-range torque, for 680Nm in total.

0-100km/h: 3.9 seconds (manual), 3.7 seconds (auto).
    0-200km/h: 12.8 seconds (manual), 12.2 seconds (auto).
    Nurburgring lap time: 7 minutes, 49 seconds (manual), 7 minutes, 52 seconds (auto).
    Top speed: 310km/h. "

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleID=11918

To compare lap times of Tip and manual all variables (except transmission) must be the same. Porsche and Walter know that we know this. Who thinks Porsche and Walter would misrepresent the faster NBR manual times?

AUM

Quote:
    RC said:

Funny enough that you just told the opposite, when we had the discussion about the performance of the F430.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Walter Röhrl mag sicherlich auf Porsche's Gehaltsliste stehen aber er ist dafür bekannt, dass er kein Blatt vor den Mund nimmt. Ich halte ihn auch für einen sehr fairen Menschen, so dass ich stark bezweifle, dass er, WENN er so etwas über den F430 gesagt hat, unehrlich war. Er hat solche Sprüche nicht nötig.

Translation:
    Walter Röhrl may surely stand on Porsche's pay roll however he is well-known for the fact that he doesn't mince matters. I regard him also as a very fair person, so that I strongly doubt that he, IF he has said such a thing about the F430, has been dishonest. He is not in need of such patter.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Funny enough, 90% of these people would probably order PDK if it would be available, a shifting system which would actually work the same way like the Tiptronic does (incl. manual and auto) but only with a better reaction time.;q

RC: I think you answered your own question. People would buy PDK because it has a better reaction time. Further, PDK with paddle shifters is not the same as automatic with push buttons. I know this is just a perception thing. Surely, if Porsche made tip with paddles a lot more people would go for that. At the end of the day, many of us have been cursing people who buy Porsches with tip for many years and it's hard to change such a deeply ingrained way of thinking. I, for one, know that I could never buy a tip no matter how much better it is than manual.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Further, PDK with paddle shifters is not the same as automatic with push buttons. I know this is just a perception thing.

Perception thing...good one, yes, this is definetely one reason why people are so attached to manual.
    BTW: do you really think Porsche is going to use paddles for the PDK? I'd rather say that there will be a stick like on a regular manual and the same push buttons they have now. Something for both worlds, including an auto mode at another push of a button.
    And I may repeat myself but I said it before: the 997 Turbo Tiptronic in conjunction with the Sports Chrono Package is NOT the usual Tiptronic setup people know from the 997 Carrera. Not a completely different beast (still based on the Mercedes auto tranny) but a highly improved one.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Further, PDK with paddle shifters is not the same as automatic with push buttons. I know this is just a perception thing.

Perception thing...good one, yes, this is definetely one reason why people are so attached to manual.
    BTW: do you really think Porsche is going to use paddles for the PDK? I'd rather say that there will be a stick like on a regular manual and the same push buttons they have now. Something for both worlds, including an auto mode at another push of a button.
    And I may repeat myself but I said it before: the 997 Turbo Tiptronic in conjunction with the Sports Chrono Package is NOT the usual Tiptronic setup people know from the 997 Carrera. Not a completely different beast (still based on the Mercedes auto tranny) but a highly improved one.

IMO, the main thing speaking against the Tip is only five gears. They should've used a 6-speed transmission.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

IMO, the main thing speaking against the Tip is only five gears. They should've used a 6-speed transmission.

And the fact that a torque-converter auto has less efficient transfer of power (more power is lost as heat) and worse throttle response (some lag) and slower gear changes, and it's heavier, and there's no clutch pedal for driver modulation, and you have to shift with little electronic switches that are attached to the steering wheel and they are upside down half the time or out of thumb's reach in a corner...

Interesting that Rohrl believes, given the high cost, that the PCCB's are unnecessary; unless the driver is planning on some "serious high speed" track work.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Interesting that Rohrl believes, given the high cost, that the PCCB's are unnecessary; unless the driver is planning on some "serious high speed" track work.

I know some track drivers that would say they're unnecessary on the track too (for the very high cost of replacement rotors)...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803614 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448652 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266250 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90135 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6680 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885950 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833676 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM