Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 GT2 is coming...more details

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Specs aren't final yet, so please take it with a grain of salt:

1. aprox. 520-530 HP
    2. PASM
    3. price tag beyond good and evil
    4. the most sensational thing: PSM (it seems that TC wasn't safe enough for non-professional drivers)
    5. introduction around early spring 2007 (next year!)

Please don't ask about more details like PSK, etc., this is more than you get anywhere (with that precision... ).

BTW: PSM would be excellent news!

Yes, PSM would be great and would make this car a sales hit. Acceleration to 300 km/h will probably match that of the F620, so the price of about Euro 190.000 is probably not out of the ballpark.
    So, MKSGR, are you getting a GT2?

I think, if the car has PSM and a 0-300 acceleration on par with (or better than) the 599GTB the GT2 would be just perfect for me Do you also consider buying the GT2?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    BC911J said:
    MKSGR said:

Quote:
    given its low hp figure and not so impressive accelaration figues

I don't understand

The new Turbo is already an impressive performer so the GT2 with even more power and less weight should be a killer...

maybe you know something I don't

He was comparing it to the F620. I can understand his sentiments, although I wouldn't call any turbo Porsche made during the last five years slow .
    I personally don't think the GT2 will be slower than the F620. Just look at the Turbo, already dipping below 12 seconds with Sport Chrono. The GT2, with at least 100-150 kg less weight and 50 more horsepower, will be much faster. I predict the same performance as the RS Tuning GT2, tested in 2003. 7 seconds from 100 to 200 km/h and a top speed of 330 km/h. Fast enough for you, MKSGR?

Such performance would be the ultimate answer to all competitors

Quote:
    RC said:

1. aprox. 520-530 HP
    2. PASM
    4. the most sensational thing: PSM (it seems that TC wasn't safe enough for non-professional drivers)

Please don't ask about more details like PSK, etc., this is more than you get anywhere (with that precision... ).

Hmmmmm. 997GT2 with PSM. 530 ponies to the rear wheels with 700+ Nm torque to same wheels. Spring of 2007. Sounds tempting.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

1. aprox. 520-530 HP
    2. PASM

BTW: PSM would be excellent news!

Yes, PSM would be great and would make this car a sales hit. Acceleration to 300 km/h will probably match that of the F620, so the price of about Euro 190.000 is probably not out of the ballpark.
    So, MKSGR, are you getting a GT2?

I think, if the car has PSM and a 0-300 acceleration on par with (or better than) the 599GTB the GT2 would be just perfect for me Do you also consider buying the GT2?

Probably not. Even the Turbo will be a big financial stretch for me (somebody we both know told me this week not to spend all my money on a car ). A few years down the road, maybe. But if you are asking me whether I'd like to have one, the answer is: "Absolutely!".

Quote:
    Crash said:

(somebody we both know told me this week not to spend all my money on a car ).

Just disregard his comment

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

(somebody we both know told me this week not to spend all my money on a car ).

That'd be nice , however he is probably right. Besides, I'm going to wait one year anyway, so by then things might be different.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Hey, don't get mad at him. After all, he has my best enthusiastic interests in mind (the ones that don't involve looking at finances too much) .

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

I want a 997 GT2. This is the car that truly speaks to my needs for excellent track times and high-speed acceleration.I believe Porsche will silence all critics of the 996 GT2 with the 997 GT2 by making the new car much faster and much safer -the best 911 of all time.

Perhaps I will enjoy the wait for my GT2 by adding a Europipe and more HP to my 996 TT X50, rather than compromising with a 997 Turbo or a GT3. Neither of these cars is significantly faster than mine on the 'Ring or the AB.

AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:
    I want a 997 GT2. This is the car that truly speaks to my needs for excellent track times and high-speed acceleration.I believe Porsche will silence all critics of the 996 GT2 with the 997 GT2 by making the new car much faster and much safer -the best 911 of all time.

Perhaps I will enjoy the wait for my GT2 by adding a Europipe and more HP to my 996 TT X50, rather than compromising with a 997 Turbo or a GT3. Neither of these cars is significantly faster than mine on the 'Ring or the AB.

AUM

I see two problems here:
    1. the 997 GT2 will be around 180000 Euro if I'm not mistaken
    2. the 997 GT2 will NOT have rear seats and of course no rear seat approval (remember the GT3? )
    3. the 997 GT2 will be a very powerful car but the fact that Porsche apparently decided to offer it with PSM should give you a hint of what to expect. Hint: a powerful car doesn't make you a faster driver.
    4. even if you opt for the 997 GT2, DO NOT put more money into your current 996 Turbo. If you have too much money, give it to me.

The perfect car for you would be a 997 Turbo S. Now you have two choices: get all the fun now or waiting and having the fun later on while you still have SOME fun with your current Turbo.

Can't hide the feeling that you really don't know what you want. There is no such thing like a perfect street AND track car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

AUM

I see two problems here:
    2. the 997 GT2 will NOT have rear seats and of course no rear seat approval (remember the GT3? )
    3. the 997 GT2 will be a very powerful car but the fact that Porsche apparently decided to offer it with PSM should give you a hint of what to expect. Hint: a powerful car doesn't make you a faster driver.
    4. even if you opt for the 997 GT2, DO NOT put more money into your current 996 Turbo. If you have too much money, give it to me.

The perfect car for you would be a 997 Turbo S. Now you have two choices: get all the fun now or waiting and having the fun later on while you still have SOME fun with your current Turbo.

Can't hide the feeling that you really don't know what you want. There is no such thing like a perfect street AND track car.

RC, any timeframe on when the Turbo S comes? In one year or two?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

AUM

I see two problems here:

RC, any timeframe on when the Turbo S comes? In one year or two?

Based on my dealer the time frame is more likely 2 years than 1 year. In particular, he confirmed that the GT2 might be available early next year based on what he learned at the 997TT event in Spain. However, he has not heard any rumors about a TTS/x50 version in Spain...

My guess is that the Turbo S won't come until atleast 2-3 years when the GT2 has allready been launched and all the 997TT hungry people have been fed.

Just look at the Cayenne Turbo, it was introduced in 2002 and the Turbo S just recently in 2006. Therfore if I was you guys I wouldn't be thinking about the 997 Turbo S for a while.

'There is no such thing like a perfect street AND track car.'

+++ True. But I believe the 997 GT2 will come closer to this ideal than any other car.

I spend too much time on the Nordschleife to buy another soft heavy Turbo, even an 'S'. And I travel too many kilometres on the autobahn to buy a GT3 with its slower 200 kph -300 kph times.Life is too short for compromise.

I want to to buy a car that does not require any modifications.The 997 GT2 is the best car for my needs and the perhaps the only 911 that needs no improvement. It will be a near-perfect blend of massive power, safety, lighter weight, good sound, correct ride height, excellentRWD traction and tremendous FUN.

AUM

sounds like somebody needs to check out a CGT:)

The CGT does have a great sound and prices may soon head far enough south to make it interesting for some. But i will wait for the GT2; it will be a more balanced car, and have new technology. Engines should be over the rear wheels.

AUM

'Now you have two choices: get all the fun now or waiting and having the fun later on while you still have SOME fun with your current Turbo.' RC

'The outgoing model (996 Turbo) still had an edgy side to its personality which endeared it to us even more (than the 997 Turbo).'
    Fifth Gear review

RC, are you starting to have doubts or do you manage to disregard all these reports?

AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:
    'Now you have two choices: get all the fun now or waiting and having the fun later on while you still have SOME fun with your current Turbo.' RC

'The outgoing model (996 Turbo) still had an edgy side to its personality which endeared it to us even more (than the 997 Turbo).'
    Fifth Gear review

RC, are you starting to have doubts or do you manage to disregard all these reports?

AUM

RC, as stated, has very reliable sources and if they told him that the Tip was going to be great, it probably will be. I personally would take a 6-speed, but the Tip might be the right car for him.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The CGT does have a great sound and prices may soon head far enough south to make it interesting for some. But i will wait for the GT2; it will be a more balanced car, and have new technology. Engines should be over the rear wheels.

AUM

Re: 997 GT2 is coming...more details *DELETED*

Post deleted by AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

AUM

[/quote

Close to equal track times. More interior space. PSM. Less cost. Much more understated. Equals better balanced track and road car.

AUM

I think you're comparing apples and oranges.
    The CGT is more pure to form, regardless of numbers (just as an F40 will be more pure to form than the 599 GTB will ever be, regardless of technology).

I don't think you can ever say that a GT2 (a turbo-charged rear-engine) can ever be a more complete track car than the ME CF CGT...

It's just fundamental philosophy...

The CGT stands alone as the ultimate Porsche supercar, and as such cannot be compared to any 911. From my ownership perspective a GT2 is a more balanced proposition; it will have similar performance and be easier to live with as a daily driver. I don't want an exotic supercar. I want a 911 with exotic supercar performance: the 997 GT2

AUM

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The CGT stands alone as the ultimate Porsche supercar, and as such cannot be compared to any 911. From my ownership perspective a GT2 is a more balanced proposition; it will have similar performance and be easier to live with as a daily driver. I don't want an exotic supercar. I want a 911 with exotic supercar performance: the 997 GT2

AUM

OK, AUM, that's easier to understand, as long as "similar performance" means numerical comparisons on paper

And, if I were more limited in garage space, I might tend to take the same position.

so 480hp for the turbo and about 525hp for the gt2?
    and the gt2 will have psm.
    they sure arent leaving much of a window for the turbo s!
    any news about the weight?
    if the gt2 has psm what will the significant differences be between the turbo s and the gt2
    sounds like the gt2 will just be a turbo s with a few more horses and a lot less options to choose from?

Quote:
    icon said:
    so 480hp for the turbo and about 525hp for the gt2?
    and the gt2 will have psm.
    they sure arent leaving much of a window for the turbo s!
    any news about the weight?
    if the gt2 has psm what will the significant differences be between the turbo s and the gt2
    sounds like the gt2 will just be a turbo s with a few more horses and a lot less options to choose from?

I'm pretty sure it will get better suspension (no PASM I would think). It will weigh between 80 and 100 kg less than the Turbo, with more power (I think 530 HP isn't too much to expect). It will make a great car, especially with the addition of the PSM. I wonder, though, how they solved the LSD/PSM interference...

GT2 is a car that needs special ablities to be driven.. For this reason many people call it "Widowmaker"
    You cant compare a GT2 with a turbo..

Quote:
    Aisxos said:
    GT2 is a car that needs special ablities to be driven.. For this reason many people call it "Widowmaker"

you didnt read the thread,
    the new one is supposed to have pasm and psm.
    you won't need special abiltites to drive it.

Quote:
    icon said:
    Quote:
    Aisxos said:

you didnt read the thread,
    the new one is supposed to have pasm and psm.
    you won't need special abiltites to drive it.

True, but it could still be harder to drive than an AWD Turbo, especially on the street with potholes and drivers on cellphones, kids stepping onto the road unexpectedly, and with rainy and slippery asphalt. Nevertheless, I agree a "civilized" GT2 sounds like an interesting prospect....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803895 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448712 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266309 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886036 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834158 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM