Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Weird radio quirk

anyone notice that their radio cuts out for a split second when latching the top closed? Strange.......happens on mine everytime and I can't see any tie-in from the top latching to the radio....

Re: Weird radio quirk

Yep, happens to me to...

Have you got the Bose. Mine does this and was told it was a 'feature' of The Bose adjusting to the sudden noise level change between the roof being up and down.

I do have the Bose.

I have the Bose and it happens. I wouldn't worry about it.

You can disable the "feature adjusting the sound level" and try again... I'll do that when it stops raining

That seems to make sense....I'm not worried about it at all, just curious. I'm more worried about the poor sound quality after dropping all that dough on the Bose!!

Just tried it today with AP turned on and AP turned off. The radio still cuts out when you hit the latch switch, so that rumor doesn't seem to be true.

05Boxster, what exactly do you think is poor quality with the Bose ?
    I'm quite satisfied with mine, although I also thought it would be even better...

Quote:
    BangoO said:
    I'm quite satisfied with mine, although I also thought it would be even better...

I don't even know where to begin...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    BangoO said:

I don't even know where to begin...

Go on, shoot

Well for starters I'll point out the overbloated bass which is typical of every Bose product. On the home audio front it makes a little more sense since the "bass module" (notice Blose doesn't call it a subwoofer because it doesn't even come close to sub frequencies, I believe it bottoms out at 55 Hz ) is designed to compensate for a complete lack of TRUE midrange - which explains the illusion of Bose having a huge emphasis on midrange. How can you have a so-called woofer pump out frequencies that are supposed to be handled by a dedicated mid-range driver? The low-end and mid-range is just pumped into one box with the little cubes (may I add they are made of paper cones - which is not a material you want to use when contructing speaker drivers) taking care of the "high-end". But even the high-end doesn't sound very high end -- how could it accurately reflect true high frequency sound with paper cones?

The poor placement of the subwoofer in the 987- subs are supposed to be low and hidden, not mounted by your ears - is what makes the sound in the car seem so bass heavy even at bass -0-. I find that to get accurate bass I have to tone the bass down to -3, -4, -5 depending on the music playing. Where the sub SHOLUD be is in the footwells, but Porsche/Bose hasn't found a way to get the driver integrated enough so that it doesn't jut out and take up precious leg room in a car where space is already scant. My best guess is that the sub is mounted behind you to take advantage of space in the cabin. Just absolutely poor placement for low frequencies. The unit itself on the Bose package isn't even a dedicated sub - it also contains two smaller (worthless) drivers that are supposed to "enhance" the effect of the sound and "envelop" you more than standard stereo. Well sure, it works to some extent (only on the "sur_low" setting) but anything past that and it's like listening to a Tivoli Audio unit at max volume in a 40 foot cave.

The surround effect isn't as bad with the top down as it is with top up - enclosing the cabin just amplifies the surround echo even more, and it gives me a headache. Not to mention that increasing the surround effect, dilutes vocals and individual instruments to the point where it's like listening to a speaker through an empty can of corn.

Just listen to the engine and let non-audiophiles be impressed with the Bose nametag on the speaker.

And this is just to start...do I continue?

Hmmm, I know Bose isn't the best install, BUT I don't find mine bad at all... when stationary. Contrary to your findings, AJ, when driving I actually have to turn the high freqs down and the low UP! - I have suspected since I got it that *something* about my Bose is not quite right. It sounds pretty reasonable with the engine off though - base weight is about right with everything centred. (Surround off though - it really screws up the imaging.) Haven't had it looked at by the dealer because I don't have it on too much, as it just can't compensate for ambient noise enough when you start moving. It's better than a kick in the teeth though, and I have a proper Hi-Fi setup in the house.

Reus Audio... T-6 and counting...

Quote:
    eslai said:
    Reus Audio... T-6 and counting...

I hate you for being so close to Reus.

What was the final price tag including everything?

wtsnet--I agree with AJ quite a bit. The sub isn't a true sub at all and just pumps out midrange and cranked up distortion. I always leave it at zero or below.

Anyhow, for everyone that's as disappointed as we are in the Bose system, I'll make sure to give a good write-up sometime next week.

Quote:
    BangoO said:

I am satisfied with the Bose as well. It has to struggle with the confines of a 2 seat sports car. But, it is wasted money ( in my case) because when driving I turn it off and listen to the engine...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    What was the final price tag including everything?

I don't know the official pricing--they still haven't done a 987 yet. I'll be sure to ask them when I take the car up on Monday.

What sucks is that whatever you pay, I have to pay a lot more cause I have to pay for their flights and "lodging"

Haha, well, I wonder if they could just ship you the pieces and you could have it done locally? Their 996/986 stuff was a big kit that they shipped around, don't know if they absolutely HAD to install it themselves or not.

Quote:
    eslai said:
    wtsnet--I agree with AJ quite a bit.

Oh, I don't disagree with you guys, but I only know what mine sounds like. Perhaps mine is different. I did have a discussion with a Porsche tech once who seemed to suggest that the Bose control unit was the same in 987 and 997, and that you could reprogram the speaker maps. Ie, load the 997 map into the 987 Bose and VV. So perhaps (wild chance I know) you should check that the 997 mappings haven't been loaded by mistake, or if correct, see if the 997 mapping sounds better! Just a thought.

Quote:
    BangoO said:

I wouldn't say I'm even close to satisfied. The biggest problem is it gets HORRIBLE reception. Mind you, I live about 20 miles north of Boston, one of the biggest cities in the Northeast, so its not like I'm out in the boondocks. If you get the right CD in there, and you play with the Base/treble/surround, and the planets align just right, it does have the ability to sound pretty good. Unfortunately thats about a quarter of the time.

Radio reception with a weak signal is made worse if you have Surround processing on. Try turning surround off. See the manual for details.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Radio reception with a weak signal is made worse if you have Surround processing on. Try turning surround off. See the manual for details.

Also want to add, Surround Sound just isn't meant for measely FM/AM radio waves. I don't use it with radio...only for CD.

This may change when HD Radio comes along but knowing Porsche, we won't be seeing that until the 989

Happens in my car too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804094 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448748 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90171 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6761 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886098 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834541 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM