Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Right.... Whats next ??

Hey Gents

So, Ive got my GT3 and I'm totally happy with it. I use it almost every day except when the weathers totally messed up or when I need more practicality. I've had my Golf 4 GTi for a good couple of years now and I think its time to upgrade on that one...

Now I know this is a sportscar board, so sorry if I'm wasting some of you guys' time, but I thought I'd ask in any case.
    I'm looking for another hot hatch and i've got a few potential choices. Here they are.

- BMW 130sport... definately top of the list. its fast, I think it looks good and has RWD dynamics. sounds nice too. Only downside is the lack of rear space...

- Ford Focus ST... very nice aswell... It looks awesome and goes well too. Downside?? I'm hating that interior!!

- Renault Megane Sport... another nice car... for those of you that havent drivin one, go for it. You'll be very suprised by how this little rocket accelerates. Downside?? One of my friends drives one

Some other choices may be a Golf GTi, Audi A3 3.2V6, GTi-R32 or a Alfa 147GTA.

Help please

Re: Right.... Whats next ??

BC, great choice of hot hatches!
    Since my best friend is in similar situation as you we drove all of these cars in last few months.
    BMW 130i-excellent engine and handling. Good traction on dry road, DSC helpfull on wet road. But, feeling is not like small M3... Downside:BMW will replace its engine with 272hp(DI) version till end of the year. If you are die hard RWD fun go for it!
    Ford Focus ST-cheapest and maybe the best value for money. Decent traction for FWD, good handling, nice sound and car is fast! Brakes are good as well... Positive:5cylinders engine is really good Downside:Looks
    VW Golf GTI-my personal favorite! Best FWD traction and really balanced feeling on the road. Very good handling and brakes as well. Best looks IMO. Allmost an Icon in this class... Downside:engine sound and 18" wheels are a must!
    VW Golf R32-best traction on dry or wet road. Awsome sound(but, not as balanced sound as 130i) and power but, handling is more front heavy then GTI. Whole car feels more nimble then GTI... DSG is fun killer IMO. Looks is not my cup of tea as well. Pretty expensive for VW.
    Renault Megane RS225-forget about that one, IMO!

My firend finally ordered Ford Focus ST! Why? With full option it is cheaper then GTI and he liked more powerfull 5cylinder engine more.

BTW, you can also wait for new AUDI S3! It will be introduced in one month or so. Specs: 2.0L turbo, 260hp, AWD, new Magnetic Ride sport suspension, etc. This will be without any doubt class leader!

GTI is awesome - my friend just bought one, he's been having a lot of fun with lift-off oversteer!

this thread might interest you:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=219794&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

I drive an A3 3.2 V6 Sportsback with the DSG transmission.
    It is a fine car, well engineered and the DSG is a good comprimise between an auto tranny and a manual. It is reasonably fast although it is not a rocket (I think it weighs more than my turbo) so do the math. I deleted the standard sport suspension to get more comfort but even with the sport suspension it is not a "sporty" car - not a hot hatch. It oversteers and due to the weight its not ideal for track events and twisties. I think the new S3 or the 130i would be much more what you are looking for.

I use the car as a pratical car next to my turbo (for "understated" city driving and as a transporter of bulky goods and people) and it does this job very well.

So heres the thing....

NM: I know the Gti is very capable but there are simply too much of them around. I see at least about 3 everyday over here. And the car doesnt really do anything for me. I'm not really into the GTI heritage that much... I'm still not overlooking it though...

Kreso: The little BM is defntly what I'm leaning toward the most... There are 2 car brands that I have a loyalty toward, and those are BMW and Porsche.
    With regard to the Renault, most are very conservative and wont go for it but I like it. I've drivin both the BM and the RS and the latter actually feels faster when accelerating through the gears. Of course when that straight six BM engine gets opened it will get ahead of the Renault, but for sheer push you into your seatback thrust, the Renaults the winner i have to say . I also looks like nothing else on the road but I've heard bad stories about that cars electronics ...
    The ford's a very nice car... Although it goes for a bit more than a GTi over here. (In 5door form, 3doors cheaper)...

zzboba you just made things worse ... I forgot about the New Honda Civic typeR... must check if thats coming to SA though and I completely forgot about the New Clio Sport. Although that will be a bit small.

I was thinking about a Evo for a while but backed out. I want something a bit more refined...

I hate having to make decisions!!

Quote:
    OAB said:
    I drive an A3 3.2 V6 Sportsback with the DSG transmission.
    It is a fine car, well engineered and the DSG is a good comprimise between an auto tranny and a manual. It is reasonably fast although it is not a rocket (I think it weighs more than my turbo) so do the math. I deleted the standard sport suspension to get more comfort but even with the sport suspension it is not a "sporty" car - not a hot hatch. It oversteers and due to the weight its not ideal for track events and twisties. I think the new S3 or the 130i would be much more what you are looking for.

I use the car as a pratical car next to my turbo (for "understated" city driving and as a transporter of bulky goods and people) and it does this job very well.

In know...those audis are hugely capable but arent exactly sporty enough for me... If I wait for the S3, I might as well wait for a M1 But the thing is, I dont wanna wait. Thats why I'm buying 2nd hand.

I had the same situation, at the end we chose the A3 Sportback 2,0.
    IMO the best looking car in his segment, and also one of the bigest. Since we need this car to fit our baby with all of the stuff which babys need. ;-) BMW is just to small, rear seats and trunk.
    If you are looking for a 250+ engine so anyway I would recomend you to take the 3,2 which is combined with AWD.

Sportback's the most practical by far actually. But then I'm 'only' 21 dont really need the extra space cause the only baby I need to fit in there is my girlfriend ....

BC ,, whens that new Honda Civic type R coming out , that looks nice and no doubt will perform also...

throt...

PS:: Early 2007 ...

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/civic_type-r.asp

GET A MINI!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    this thread might interest you:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=219794&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

There's another interesting thread regarding the Golf R32:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=202583&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

I am more than pleased with the R32, really a great car!

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    GET A MINI!

Too Small!!!
    I Love the new Mini's.... i think theyre AWESOME but it wont work out ...

They're the funkiest cars on the road by far and are excellent drivers cars. It makes me cry but no...

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    GET A MINI!

Too Small!!!

They're the funkiest cars on the road by far and are excellent drivers cars. It makes me cry but no...

The next generation should become bigger (I wonder why, but it's a fact), but then you have to wait for a couple of months.

IMHO

1/ BMW 130i
    2/ Honda Civic Type R
    3/ Renault Megane RS

The 130i is no doubt the sportiest of the bunch. It's very powerful, it is a true RWD, and it can actually SING!
    On the other hand, it's the most expensive.

The Megane RS is the most well-rounded one. It's the best daily driver, the most comfortable, the best equipped and the safest. It has the best handling, and the engine is maaaaaad! And you can get a glass roof (I've always been a Targa guy ).
    On the other hand, its steering sucks, it filters too much feeling from the road. Although it's not as bad as the other Meganes, it reminds me of ajcastaneda's "novocaine steering" sig.

The Civic Type R is inbetween. It's a bit less powerful, but probably cheaper. And it sure makes the other two look tame in the design department.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    GET A MINI!

Too Small!!!

The next generation should become bigger (I wonder why, but it's a fact), but then you have to wait for a couple of months.

Hey Rossi

Sounds good, where did you get this info???
    Any links etc... Spy pics??

A couple of months seems OK I guess. As long as a couple means about 2 or even 3 for the most.

Hey Groom...
    Youre right about the glass roof on the renault... Very nice touch I'm not to sure about the handling being the best IMO...

Audi 2.0TFSI with chip tuning,airfilter and exhaust mods will be much better than Audi 3.2 v6 's
    My 2nd car is 2005 Audi 2.0TFSI quattro with these mods. I am better than e46 330ci with acceleration and top speed issues.

What performance numbers are you getting... Hard question , I know, but estimates??

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    What performance numbers are you getting... Hard question , I know, but estimates??

Based on the normal numbers I'd guess about 6,5 seconds 0-100 km/h and about 25-27 seconds to 200 km/h. Top speed of about 250 km/h.

Do you get the Renault Clio V6 in South Africa?
    Mid-engined, 250hp...

edit: seems like you do get it there
    http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2846690&fSectionId=873&fSetId=381

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Hey Groom...
    Youre right about the glass roof on the renault... Very nice touch I'm not to sure about the handling being the best IMO...

It takes all sorts, but to me, it beats the 130i hands down. It is much safer and forgiving, without being an understeering pig like the A3. It's just neutral and efficient. It does not spin wildly at the first occasion or break your back just for the sake of it. It will perform exactly as ordered.

As for the GTi or R32, their suspensions suck. The springs are too stiff, while the dampers are too soft. As a consequence, you can feel every millimetre of the bump the second you hit it, then the car just bobbles around for a needlessly long while. This is both unsettling and dangerous.

I don't know about the new Civic Type R, but the previous generation was too stiff for me. At least, the dampers were efficient. Same goes for the engine: it was awesome near the red line, but it is sorely lacking torque in every day driving.
    IMHO, it's just being stiff for the sake of pretending to be sporty. The Megane RS is just as efficient while preserving a modicum of comfort.

It all depends on what you are really after. If you are willing to sacrifice convenience and comfort for raw fun, a 130i (or a Mini Cooper S JCW for that matter) is just what you're looking for. If you prefer to get 90% of the fun but 90% more utility, the Megane RS can't be beaten.

As for the Clio V6, I'd advise against it. It's an awesome toy, but nothing more. It's not practical at all and even tricky to drive. Since I guess the car you are after is going to be a daily driver, it makes little sense to get one.

mmmm what about a mini cooper S, probably a John Works with 210bhp

if i were you i would take either the A3 2TFSI or wait a bit for the new Seat Leon FR\Cupra with the same 2.0Turbo FSI engine (and maybe even DSG gearbox!)

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Do you get the Renault Clio V6 in South Africa?
    Mid-engined, 250hp...

edit: seems like you do get it there
    http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2846690&fSectionId=873&fSetId=381

Yeah we do but the cars too impractical... Its more of a sports car than anything else and thats not exactly what I need. The lack of rear seats is the main factor there...Its a cool car though.. I've never drivin one but I hear its quite good

I think its very overpriced for what performance you get aswell

Alex: Too small!!! If it was bigger I'd get one no doubt! Although Rossi said something abou t the next generation being bigger...

Discover: We dont get Seat over here as far as I know... If it is available then there marketing is up to crap. BTW, no DSG for me, thanks!!

Groom: thanxx for all the feedback. You just reminded me about something about the whole torque thing... Although the hatch I get will have to play the role of a sportscar now and then, It would be cool if it's a relaxed, easy to drive car aswell... The GT3's already on a No-torque diet so it would be cool to have something that has good ammounts of it...Makes driving more easy when you need it.

I really think I'll go for the 130... Maybe even plant a M3 engine in there sooner or later

Excellent choice. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. The 6-cylinder is a blast. Powerful, torquey, and musical.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Hey Rossi

Sounds good, where did you get this info???
    Any links etc... Spy pics??

A couple of months seems OK I guess. As long as a couple means about 2 or even 3 for the most.

It should be autumn or winter this year until we the the next generation Mini.

Many pics, including non-camouflaged interior you can find here:

Mini Info Site in German

A little teaser...

Thanxx Rossi ... Still looks a bit on the small side though.

Looking forward to seeing some performance specs

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Thanxx Rossi ... Still looks a bit on the small side though.

Looking forward to seeing some performance specs

Its appears to have quality , but somewhat , I still see it as a hairdressers car ,, imo of course....

throt..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804060 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448741 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90170 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6759 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886086 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834481 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM